Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PR77W

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Aremaga wrote:
LurveBus wrote:
J343 wrote:
They still have 15 A321 NEOs coming in and one more A350. That’s not a small amount of capacity. If anything, the only further orders we can predict for this year is the firming up of the A350 options. Other than that, they have to focus on streamlining their product and improving their market share on existing routes.

This article says the 15 A321 Neos are intended to replace the old planes. Or maybe some to replace old A320s and some to add more to the fleet. I do not know if they intend to replace the A321 Ceo but it would be good if they do. And i think these 15 NEOs will have more seats than the first 6. I do not know if they will install IFEs though i think they will, considering they are aiming for the 5th star.

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Corporate&title=pal-defers-delivery-of-a321neo-planes&id=146832

The 15 A321neo on order will have an ACF (Airbus Cabin Flex) configuration similar to 5J A321neo although PAL version will likely have either a set of over wing exit or doors 3 is deactivated. And yes it will have a denser configuration when compared to the first batch of 6 A21N which will be mainly used on regional flights in Asia. I'm not sure if it will have the same on-board product as the first batch. But I'm certain that there will be In-seat IFE in all classes and WiFi.

J343

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:30 am

LurveBus wrote:
J343 wrote:
Why does PAL have to focus on ordering more aircraft types? Instead, why cant they wait for all routes to mature i.e LHR-MNL before going into full expansion mode. Just look at EY, they have been very aggressive with expansion and ordering new aircraft types but look at them now.

I work with a lot of Filipinos and they all have shifted to PAL from more established carriers such as CX, SQ, EK.

What PAL needs to do first is focus on routes where they make money and to capture a sizeable market share for routes like LHR, SYD etc. After then, they can start looking at newer planes and new routes. I am sure Chicago, San Diego will be sustainable.

Exactly. PAL has started so many new routes over the past few years, and they’re still not profitable. They need to put on the brakes. They still have 15 A321 NEOs coming in and one more A350. That’s not a small amount of capacity. If anything, the only further orders we can predict for this year is the firming up of the A350 options. Other than that, they have to focus on streamlining their product and improving their market share on existing routes.

Those A321neos with the updated cabins could be used for longer regional Asian flights for multiple frequencies i.e ICN, NRT, HND, HKG, PVG, PEK. They could use those new birds to replace the old birds instead of sending larger planes. The A330s with the updated cabins could be used for Australian routes.

Yahnih

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:28 am

Do you think PAL would pick up some 2nd-hand A380? They could use it for LAX/SFO

Philippine747

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:58 am

Yahnih wrote:
Do you think PAL would pick up some 2nd-hand A380? They could use it for LAX/SFO

It would not fit in Terminal 2, and they would need to park it on the North Ramp, making it a hassle to board. Operating a Code F aircraft near 13/31 would also cause some disruption to ground traffic flow, just like when EK sent their A380 on the one-off service.

J343 wrote:
Exactly. PAL has started so many new routes over the past few years, and they’re still not profitable. They need to put on the brakes. They still have 15 A321 NEOs coming in and one more A350. That’s not a small amount of capacity. If anything, the only further orders we can predict for this year is the firming up of the A350 options. Other than that, they have to focus on streamlining their product and improving their market share on existing routes.

Those A321neos with the updated cabins could be used for longer regional Asian flights for multiple frequencies i.e ICN, NRT, HND, HKG, PVG, PEK. They could use those new birds to replace the old birds instead of sending larger planes. The A330s with the updated cabins could be used for Australian routes.[/quote]

As of writing, the new config A333s being sent to MEL and AKL. The A21Ns can be used on secondary Australian cities such as CNS, ADL and DRW to service tourist markets, eliminating the need to fly to SYD/MEL. I agree with using the new config aircraft on the regional flights, however I feel that they must also upgrade the aircraft that they use out of the secondary hubs and focus cities in CEB, KLO and CRK.

J343

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:38 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

It would not fit in Terminal 2, and they would need to park it on the North Ramp, making it a hassle to board. Operating a Code F aircraft near 13/31 would also cause some disruption to ground traffic flow, just like when EK sent their A380 on the one-off service.

J343 wrote:

Those A321neos with the updated cabins could be used for longer regional Asian flights for multiple frequencies i.e ICN, NRT, HND, HKG, PVG, PEK. They could use those new birds to replace the old birds instead of sending larger planes. The A330s with the updated cabins could be used for Australian routes.

As of writing, the new config A333s being sent to MEL and AKL. The A21Ns can be used on secondary Australian cities such as CNS, ADL and DRW to service tourist markets, eliminating the need to fly to SYD/MEL. I agree with using the new config aircraft on the regional flights, however I feel that they must also upgrade the aircraft that they use out of the secondary hubs and focus cities in CEB, KLO and CRK.[/quote]

PR DOES NOT need the A380. I'm not expert in the Philippine aviation market but what I know is that loads are very seasonal with higher loads during the holiday season PLUS the B77W works perfectly for LAX/SFO as the B77W has good cargo loads.

Also, PR can use their A320s for secondary hubs such as KLO and CRK. The A321 and possibly some A330s can work perfectly well for CEB. What PAL needs is a good strategy to sustain profitability. Competition is fierce in SE Asia. TG, GA and MH are struggling. PR is in a good position for flights to N.America. They just need to be less aggressive and more conservative until certain routes give PR the profits and maturity.

LurveBus

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Aside from the technical restrictions at MNL cited above, PR studied the A380. On one hand, they would be able to drive prices down with a 600+seater 2-class aircraft. On the other hand, there just isn’t enough space in the hold to fit all the passengers and cargo. So on that note, the A380 isn’t really an option.

TheDailyAloy

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:10 pm

LurveBus wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

Aside from the technical restrictions at MNL cited above, PR studied the A380. On one hand, they would be able to drive prices down with a 600+seater 2-class aircraft. On the other hand, there just isn’t enough space in the hold to fit all the passengers and cargo. So on that note, the A380 isn’t really an option.

Setting aside airport infrastructure concerns, how did EK do it with their 2-class A388s, though? They're high-density, and they put 615 seats in. If PR did a 3-class layout (J/P/Y), it'd probably be around 580.

Yeetus787

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 pm

SkyHigher wrote:
Devilfish wrote:
Don't all the railway developments connecting to NAIA indicate that the airport would be there for a long while yet :?: .....

https://media.philstar.com/photos/2019/ ... -32-20.jpg

One report even said that the subway would connect directly to NAIA T3...I wonder how they would accomplish that? :scratchchin:

The extension of subway to NAIA is optional, depending on the demand. And it will have 2 stations, Terminal 3 and Terminal 1 and 2 and goes all the way to PITX. Well, we don't know the detailed engineering and design plan for the 2 NAIA stations yet. This is the revised map of MM Subway project.

In my opinion, if they do build the subway to NAIA, they should build some kind of spur line connecting it to the planned PNR line to Clark Airport and have so they could do some kind of interline with an express service between Clark and NAIA, similar to the Keisei Access Express in Japan that runs between Haneda and Narita

Personally rode it myself, but nost because I was going to either airport, but because I just wnated to take the subway and just happened to catch that train haha

filipinoavgeek

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 am

LurveBus wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

Plus considering PAL's financial situation these days isn't exactly the best, and the A380 is a known money sink, I don't think they'd be willing to take the plunge anyway. There's a reason why PAL ditched the 747s as soon as they could.

SleeplessInZh

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:26 am

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... cancelled/

Bye bye delhi plans.so sad.ana don't want you, to take away passengers. low bookings?

EmoticonsAllDay

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.com/2019/03/10/philippines-airlines-delhi-foray-cancelled/

Bye bye delhi plans.so sad.ana don't want you, to take away passengers. low bookings?

According to the article, PAL seems to have 15 A321neoLRs in order. But other articles I have read tell that these 15 A321 are high density regular A321neos to replace the ageing A321ceos. Can someone shine some light on this?

Aremaga

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:40 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:
https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.com/2019/03/10/philippines-airlines-delhi-foray-cancelled/

According to the article, PAL seems to have 15 A321neoLRs in order. But other articles I have read tell that these 15 A321 are high density regular A321neos to replace the ageing A321ceos. Can someone shine some light on this?

There is a brief discussion about the 15 A321 Neos on the previous page (Page 5) of this thread.

PR77W

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 am

As mentioned in the previously trends the 15 A321neo reaming on order will be the NX variant (Airbus Cabin Flex, ACF). Unlike the first batch of six A21N which have the traditional 4 side door configuration the NX has the option for either double over wing exits and doors 3 deactivated or 1 over wing exit and with doors 3 activated. This two configuration are the most likely one's for PAL second batch of A321neo.

PR77W

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:

MNL-DEL Launch Delayed UFN:
Business traveler has published an article that gives reasons why PAL is delaying the launch of its flight direct flights between MNL and DEL. The airlines stayted security issued mainly the conflict at kashmir as the main reason. No revised date has been given yet when PAL will launch flights to DEL.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... e-opening/

EmoticonsAllDay

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Philippine Airlines Hints At SkyTeam Preference

"Star Alliance is big, but you see a lot of overlaps in the region. While oneworld tends to work with the strong carriers in each geographic regions. SkyTeam seems to have the least overlap, as they have limited members."

"PAL is keen to enter an alliance, but we are not in a rush and will take our time. "

Source: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/03/12/philippines-airlines-skyteam/

Intentions to join ST is wise but planning to not rush into any alliance is even wiser. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether ANA might approve of joinig ST. IMO, PR is much better off establishing codeshares than joining any alliances at the present circumstances.

SleeplessInZh

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 am

Yeh i just read that,too.not realy impressed with the skyteam rumour.still hoping for oneworld.they have more the prestigious airlines.
Last edited by SleeplessInZh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SleeplessInZh

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 am

"Cathay will not block PAL to oneworld" but Malaysian.sad.
But malaysian is loosing money and ground.Pal will overtake malaysian this year, or the next year in the skytrax ranking.they might better cooperate with pal and work together as one.Pal will gain much from OneWorld.
But Again, for the ASEAN Countries:
ST: Vietnam,Garuda
SA: Thai,Singapore
OneWorld: Malaysian+ ? ... Air Nuigini?Air Vanautu...Air timbuktu?
It is so obvious...
Last edited by SleeplessInZh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PR77W

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

"Star Alliance is big, but you see a lot of overlaps in the region. While oneworld tends to work with the strong carriers in each geographic regions. SkyTeam seems to have the least overlap, as they have limited members."

"PAL is keen to enter an alliance, but we are not in a rush and will take our time. "

Source: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/03/12/philippines-airlines-skyteam/

Intentions to join ST is wise but planning to not rush into any alliance is even wiser. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether ANA might approve of joinig ST. IMO, PR is much better off establishing codeshares than joining any alliances at the present circumstances.

I agreed with you on PAL focusing on codeshare agreements with different airlines then joining an airlines alliance as it gives them flexibility of which airline whiter Star, Sky or One World, Alliances.

SleeplessInZh

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am

PR77W wrote:
EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

I agreed with you on PAL focusing on codeshare agreements with different airlines then joining an airlines alliance as it gives them flexibility of which airline whiter Star, Sky or One World, Alliances.

Agree on this.

Akiestar

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:11 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Yeh i just read that,too.not realy impressed with the skyteam rumour.still hoping for oneworld.they have more the prestigious airlines.

The idea of PR joining an alliance ought to be the practical relationships it can build and how its network can complement the alliance's network, not prestige. Unfortunately, oneworld has way too much overlap for PR's comfort. Sure, CX might not block PR's entry, but HKG is way too close for comfort.

People on A.net know my position on PR and alliances, and I'll reiterate this again: PR should not be a feeder for a larger airline. PR in oneworld will simply reduce it to being a feeder for CX, as opposed to the other alliances where it's more capable of standing on its own. And I strongly believe SkyTeam can provide that (despite GA and VN acting as feeders to the wider alliance), and if not them, at least Star can do that too.

(If we're going to go on prestige, all three airlines have prestigious airlines. Seriously, this idea of SkyTeam only getting crappy leftovers is but A.net lore: KE is excellent, for example. GA is a five-star airline according to Skytrax, and DL is arguably the best of the US3.)

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

NH hasn't complained about VN being in SkyTeam despite their partial ownership. Now granted, PR is currently unaligned, but I'd think NH won't raise too much of a fuss if it ends up joining an alliance other than Star.

Devilfish

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm

J343 wrote:
After then, they can start looking at newer planes and new routes. I am sure Chicago, San Diego will be sustainable.

PAL would've already started both some time ago if those two were really such slam dunks.

LurveBus wrote:
They need to put on the brakes. They still have 15 A321 NEOs coming in and one more A350. That’s not a small amount of capacity. If anything, the only further orders we can predict for this year is the firming up of the A350 options.

Wouldn't that be a bigger added capacity just the same?

Yeetus787 wrote:
In my opinion, if they do build the subway to NAIA, they should build some kind of spur line connecting it to the planned PNR line to Clark Airport and have so they could do some kind of interline with an express service between Clark and NAIA, similar to the Keisei Access Express in Japan that runs between Haneda and Narita

That would be ideal, even if only an option at this time. The main driver for the subway station at Lawton seems to be this.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... ve-capital

Quote:
"Megaworld said that by 2025, the district will be the location of one of the proposed stations of the ongoing Metro Manila Subway Project, initially named as Lawton East Station.

Meanwhile, Megaworld said BCD is envisioned to be the country’s administrative capital as it will soon be home to the future buildings of some of the major government institutions such as the Senate of the Philippines, the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals."

J343 wrote:
PR is in a good position for flights to N.America. They just need to be less aggressive and more conservative until certain routes give PR the profits and maturity.

Apparently, they're intent on pursuing their vision...including Chicago..... :smile: .....

Routesonline @routesonline

Seattle, Chicago, Paris and Rome are all on the radar for future routes operated by @flyPAL. Speaking at #RoutesAsia, the airline's Ryan Uy said should they be given the go ahead, the new routes would be on a non-stop basis.
8:10 PM - Mar 10, 2019

And 5J is also on an expansion mode.....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/03/1 ... tinations/

Quote:
Through 2022, the company will engage in a massive refleeting program that will upgrade old aircraft and add more fuel efficient ones to end 2022 with 83 jets. It also plans to retire eight of its wide body A330s, and replace them with as much as 15 Airbus A330neos or Boeing 787s.

“Connecting key cities such as Perth or Cairns would give more Australians easier access to the Philippines, and enable more Filipino-Australians to visit family more often,” Iyog said.

From another source, the versions being considered are the A339 and B78J.

Meanwhile at CRK, the contractor has commenced installation of the engineered timber roof frames for Terminal 2..... :thumbsup:

Devilfish

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:56 am

From SkyscraperCity -- two photos of the ongoing engineered timber roof frame installation at CRK T2..... :camera: .....

source: @ctto Zmra Etrebac
https://scontent.fmnl17-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5CDA6D26

source: @ctto Mark De Luna Capinpin
https://scontent.fmnl17-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D06A6B7

photos posted by: @mrwhitepatch

News of the Government's plan to offer incentives to airlines for flying to destinations in the country other than MNL..... :airplane: .....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/03/1 ... -airports/

Quote:
"THE government may dangle incentives to foreign carriers to encourage them to mount direct flights to tourism destinations instead of Manila, a state official said.

Department of Tourism Route Development Team Head Erwin F. Balane said creating new direct services to secondary airports such as Cebu, Bohol and Palawan will help generate more tourism potentials.

Direct flights entice tourists to visit a certain destination, for example Cebu, as this removes the hassle of transiting from another airport like Manila just to get to the tourism sites."

5J's converted ATR72-500 freighters to start cargo operations soon..... :thumbsup: .....

https://50skyshades.com/images/o/sabena ... Utk6lj.jpg

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... ce-in.html

Quote:
"Low cost carrier Cebu Pacific is set to begin its long awaited cargo service in April as it joins the cargo market by having two of its ATR 72-500 passenger aircraft converted into freighters by IPR Conversions, a Swiss based company.

Vice-President (Cargo) Alex Reyes said the first ATR72-500(F)s freighters is currently doing certification test in France and is due to arrive later this month.

Reyes said the two aircraft will continue to operate through Cebu’s subsidiary, CebGo."

filipinoavgeek

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 am

So CebPac is considering options for their long-haul refleeting in a few years, and their choices are down to the 787-10 and the A330-900 (sorry Devilfish but it seems that the -800 is not on the table). Apparently CebPac likes the 787-10 as a plane more as they believe it's more capable (can carry more cargo with the same number of passengers and range), but it's somewhat more expensive than the A330neo. In any case, their decision would depend on the proposals of either manufacturer. While the 787 seems to have an edge right now, I won't be surprised if they order the Neo instead: it's cheaper, plus it will be easier to transition considering crew familiarity and CebPac's reputation as having an all-Airbus (mainline) fleet.

Devilfish

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
(sorry Devilfish but it seems that the -800 is not on the table)

Don't be...I didn't expect 5J to order it...the A338 doesn't match their requirements. Their business model needs something that can carry more passengers to upper medium-haul distances.....

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-AKL/HN ... /YVR&DU=nm

I assume they would launch HNL as soon as they get their hands on the A339. I doubt they'd venture as far as, say YVR in NA just yet...but guess 5J will, once it's established that the 78J could do the mission in their desired configuration and they opted for it..... :airplane: .....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... liner.html

In the meantime.....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/03/1 ... r-traffic/

filipinoavgeek

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

You know, I just realized something rather sad the other day. It seems very much possible that by the time our new airport opens (Sangley/Bulacan/Clark/wherever), it's likely that most A380s will be gone from the skies. Lufthansa, Singapore, Air France, and Qatar among others seem to be quickly getting rid of them much faster than I thought it would, and as sad it is to think, it won't be surprising if 10 years from now Emirates is the last remaining airline that would still have a sizable fleet of them if not the last remaining operator. And there's no guarantee that they'd serve the new Manila airport with A380s, especially if DWC is in full swing by then. Basically, I fear that by the time we get a new airport, we would be far too late to the A380 flights train.

EmoticonsAllDay

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
You know, I just realized something rather sad the other day. It seems very much possible that by the time our new airport opens (Sangley/Bulacan/Clark/wherever), it's likely that most A380s will be gone from the skies. Lufthansa, Singapore, Air France, and Qatar among others seem to be quickly getting rid of them much faster than I thought it would, and as sad it is to think, it won't be surprising if 10 years from now Emirates is the last remaining airline that would still have a sizable fleet of them if not the last remaining operator. And there's no guarantee that they'd serve the new Manila airport with A380s, especially if DWC is in full swing by then. Basically, I fear that by the time we get a new airport, we would be far too late to the A380 flights train.

IMO, PAL would be able to support a limited fleet of A380s to LAX and SFO with ultra premium configuration. They could promote their offering with their 4 star status. This might be actually viable as Airbus have recently announced to support 2nd hand/refurbished A380s through 2021. This could also be a driving factor for passengers to choose PAL who prefer Cathy, Korean Air, ANA or Japan Air for their premium offerings. But other than LAX and SFO, I can't think of any other destinations in PAL's network that can support the A380.

That said, at the present situation, PAL should focus on consolidation rather than expansion. We really wouldn't want PAL to end up like WOW with their aggressive expansion.

SleeplessInZh

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Just saw the new amenity kits by furla for business class long haul flights (bag),but i guess they forgot the earplugs.:)

HJM

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm

PR MNL-LAX/SFO, I wonder which would be best, double-daily B777 or single daily A380?

SleeplessInZh

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:21 pm

HJM wrote:
PR MNL-LAX/SFO, I wonder which would be best, double-daily B777 or single daily A380?

2x daily B777x.better connections.
Please, can we stop now with the A380s?noone wants them anymore.

PR77W

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 am

Can't confirm if this is true but could explain why QR will launch flights to DVO first rather then CEB.

philippineairspace.blogspot.com/2019/03/qatar-forced-to-fly-davao.html?m=1

Yahnih

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 am

PR77W wrote:
Can't confirm if this is true but could explain why QR will launch flights to DVO first rather then CEB.

philippineairspace.blogspot.com/2019/03/qatar-forced-to-fly-davao.html?m=1

Mindanao is predominantly Muslim whereas Cebu is not.

filipinoavgeek

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:48 am

Yahnih wrote:
Mindanao is predominantly Muslim whereas Cebu is not.

Common misconception, but at least now that's no longer true. Mindanao is majority Christian, only the western parts (the former ARMM and now known as the BARMM) are Muslim-majority, though the rest of the island does have a large Muslim minority.

Devilfish

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
You know, I just realized something rather sad the other day. It seems very much possible that by the time our new airport opens (Sangley/Bulacan/Clark/wherever), it's likely that most A380s will be gone from the skies.

This was one of the rare instances I was glad that PAL did not have the wherewithal to acquire a particular aircraft (was reported that LT fancied it)...and that NAIA was not ready for the type. I consider the two as blessings in disguise, for the A380 would have been a "white whale" swallowing both their resources.

SleeplessInZh wrote:
2x daily B777x.better connections.

According to this, there would be a third LAX frequency...also that PR's JFK and AKL flights would operate out of Terminal 1 starting March 31..... :airplane: .....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... nal-1.html

Maybe it'd be better if an A359 does the 3rd frequency so there won't be overcapacity on the route? This could be where the Philstar link in #99 and #101 comes in. Might we discover during the PAS that the 3x A359 and 1x A35K UFOs are actually PR's top-up options :?:

PR77W wrote:

EK is already flying its 77W to CEB so another ME3 carrier there may be too much. Can't we accept the blog's account that QR didn't go by its commitment after taking 2 additional slots at MNL?

filipinoavgeek

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 pm

To be honest, once Duterte is gone, I can't really see most of the international flights out of Davao staying. Last I heard most of them had poor load factors.

PR77W

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
To be honest, once Duterte is gone, I can't really see most of the international flights out of Davao staying. Last I heard most of them had poor load factors.

MI flights to DVO is a tag along flights SIN-DVO-CEB-SIN, wonder why they don't operate it as a direct flights like KA HKG-DVO-HKG. Can't comment on the international load factor dough as I don't have data.

Any one has an idea where to find statistical data at DVO?

Devilfish

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:12 pm

More details on PR international flights' terminal assignments.....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/a ... ghts-uset1

Can we see PR's A359 appearing regularly at LAX afterwards?

From SkyscraperCity...photos of ongoing NAIA T2 renovation work..... :camera: .....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BU1qC ... 05-h904-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8Id3f ... 05-h904-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rhiFQ ... 05-h904-no

photos posted by: @thehighwayadvocate

Hopefully, they would enclose the podium level to shelter people from the elements during inclement weather ! :raincloud:

Additional pictures of the glulam frame installation at CRK T2..... :house: .....

source: @ctto Elmer Tacastacas Gatilogo
https://scontent.fmnl17-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D18E143

https://scontent.fmnl17-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D0B8CF3

https://scontent.fmnl17-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D05F2E9

photos posted by:@mrwhitepatch

Would the RC pillars remain simply cylindrical and not built-up to be faceted as in the original rendering :?:

SleeplessInZh

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:40 pm

A Japanese review about the A350.Felt unhappy and angry at 3:02 .its a new plane! So sad!
https://youtu.be/nk6jwgTz4TM

PR77W

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:49 am

Its increasing likely that PAL will firm its option for six Airbus A350.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... um=twitter
I wouldn't be surprised if PAL picks the A350-1000 and replace the six oldest B77W. But its possible PAL will also have two A359 and four A35K.

krlgarcia01

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
A Japanese review about the A350.Felt unhappy and angry at 3:02 .its a new plane! So sad!
https://youtu.be/nk6jwgTz4TM

Uhhh... did you mean Korean?

filipinoavgeek

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 am

PR77W wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if PAL picks the A350-1000 and replace the six oldest B77W. But its possible PAL will also have two A359 and four A35K.

Can the -1000 reliably fly non-stop to the US from Manila though? If yes, then the -1000 would be a good choice to replace at least some of the 777s with (though last I heard they said they were planning to keep those for the foreseeable future and in fact had just renewed their leases). If not, then those might instead work better as regional workhorses.

PR77W

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
PR77W wrote:

Can the -1000 reliably fly non-stop to the US from Manila though? If yes, then the -1000 would be a good choice to replace at least some of the 777s with (though last I heard they said they were planning to keep those for the foreseeable future and in fact had just renewed their leases). If not, then those might instead work better as regional workhorses.

I saw a comment from someone in another aviation fourm and mentioned that 7777 and 7776 lease are due to expired in 2022. Can't confirm if they just extended there leases or PAL will keep them for another 5 to 10 years?

LurveBus

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:06 pm

PR77W wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
PR77W wrote:

I saw a comment from someone in another aviation fourm and mentioned that 7777 and 7776 lease are due to expired in 2022. Can't confirm if they just extended there leases or PAL will keep them for another 5 to 10 years?

The A35Ks are capable of doing HKG-IAD, which is just some 60nm shy of MNL-YYZ. If they go for the A35K, they could potentially upgauge MNL-YYZ, and free up the A359 to go somewhere else.

Now, even if some of the 777s are going off lease, with the current 777 glut, it really will be more cost-effective for PAL to keep them for at least 6-7 years. I expect that an A35K order will just give them breathing space to reconfigure the 777s given that their utilization at the moment is quite heavy.

Devilfish

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 pm

PR77W wrote:

It seems the source has a rather optimistic interpretation of the original report..... :optimist: .....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/03/2 ... tinations/

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Can the -1000 reliably fly non-stop to the US from Manila though? If not, then those might instead work better as regional workhorses.

For regional work (maybe up to SEA even) I guess PAL could opt for one of the lower weight versions available for the A359.....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... te-456636/

LurveBus wrote:
Now, even if some of the 777s are going off lease, with the current 777 glut, it really will be more cost-effective for PAL to keep them for at least 6-7 years. I expect that an A35K order will just give them breathing space to reconfigure the 777s given that their utilization at the moment is quite heavy.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Especially since their sixth A359 (msn 303, RP-C3508) is due for delivery soon. As always, a lot would depend on their fiscal position.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... round-2019

Meanwhile, LT's Macro Asia is set to open its own flying school in Subic in cooperation with PTC Holdings..... :airplane: .....

https://www.bworldonline.com/macroasia- ... -in-subic/

Elsewhere, BAG will have to await appropriations for many of the improvements needed so it could resume commercial air services there..... :point: .....

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1098609/b ... USgFJXed.1

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... mment-form

PR77W

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 am

Devilfish wrote:
[
For regional work (maybe up to SEA even) I guess PAL could opt for one of the lower weight versions available for the A359.....

I find it interesting that the flightglobal article mentions that the 278t MTOW is available as new weight variant. Those this mean PAL A359 MTOW is actually 280t MTOW variant? But could also mean that the 278t MTOW is know available to other airlines and PAL was the first customer SQ recived there first batch of de-rated A359 last year?

SleeplessInZh

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Right.japanese looks different.

SkyHigher

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 am

PR77W wrote:
Devilfish wrote:
[

I find it interesting that the flightglobal article mentions that the 278t MTOW is available as new weight variant. Those this mean PAL A359 MTOW is actually 280t MTOW variant? But could also mean that the 278t MTOW is know available to other airlines and PAL was the first customer SQ recived there first batch of de-rated A359 last year?

The A359 of PAL has a MTOW of 278t which is already a HGW variant. The original MTOW of A359 is 268t and Airbus added 260t (regional), 272t and 275t MTOW versions. The 280t is currently the MTOW for A359 ULR but it will be standard for all A359 to be delivered starting 2020.

filipinoavgeek

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:15 am

SkyHigher wrote:
The 280t is currently the MTOW for A359 ULR but it will be standard for all A359 to be delivered starting 2020.

So does that mean the A359ULR won't even be offered from 2020 onwards and they'll kill it off already? Or will the 280t A359 and A359ULR continue to be different models?

SkyHigher

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
SkyHigher wrote:
The 280t is currently the MTOW for A359 ULR but it will be standard for all A359 to be delivered starting 2020.

So does that mean the A359ULR won't even be offered from 2020 onwards and they'll kill it off already? Or will the 280t A359 and A359ULR continue to be different models?

IIRC, the difference for a 280t non-ULR A359 and the A359 ULR is the space for fuel tanks. Non-ULR can use the same fuel tank design as the lower MTOW versions (260t - 278t).

Devilfish

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 pm

It appears LTG is concentrating most of its aviation related businesses under their MacroAsia subsidiary..... :spin:

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... anny-osmea

:scratchchin: Wonder if PAL's ground handling services would be substantially better and their inflight meals more delicious now? :yummy:

Meanwhile, the jury is still out on this..... :point: .....

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/a ... temupgrade

Devilfish

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:54 pm

The DoTr secretary has given the NAIA Consortium until April 30, 2019 to finalize their unsolicited proposal.....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2019/ ... ssion-deal

Quote:
“The discussions have taken so long that is why I am saying that I want to put a cap. It cannot take forever that is why there needs to be a deadline. By April 30, if we do not arrive at a common ground then we will do the project on the DOTr-MIAA side. We will continue it. I really want to speed up the decision on the unsolicited proposal of the consortium,” he said.

Aside from the government possibly undertaking the rehabilitation on its own, Tugade said it may also consider other proposals from private groups.

The group of Megawide Construction Corp. and GMR Infrastrucuture Ltd. of India has also previously submitted an unsolicited proposal to upgrade and rehabilitate NAIA.

Tugade declined to disclose specifics of the issues preventing the concession agreement from being finalized, but said one of them involves the installation of a people mover.

“(Sec. Tugade) talked about the people mover. That was one of the issues. They have to propose it in detail. It is lacking in details at the moment,” Transportation Undersecretary for Aviation Manuel Tamayo said.

In lieu of the people mover, a new passenger terminal building at the Nayong Pilipino/PVH site is more of a priority IMO. If they had started building it when PAL revived its proposed Annex, then NAIA may already be preparing its opening to the public now. In any case, there's a nice conceptual design upthread just waiting to be adapted...and a fast-working contractor eagerly waiting at the sidelines to be notified. :spin:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos