Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bunumuring

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 am

Hey guys,
Does anyone know if QF wil hold a public competition to name the second batch of Dreamliners like they did for the first batch? I know some of The eight names announced were not used and replaced by 'Yam Dreaming' and 'Jillaroo' ...perhaps the unused ones can be used this time around?
Cheers,
Bunumuring

redroo

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if QF wil hold a public competition to name the second batch of Dreamliners like they did for the first batch? I know some of The eight names announced were not used and replaced by 'Yam Dreaming' and 'Jillaroo' ...perhaps the unused ones can be used this time around?
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Really hope they don’t. Some of the names were questionable to say the least.

SCFlyer

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 am

QF754 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
qf2048 wrote:
This has got me intrigued. All I can think of is Cobham. Don't forget how it worked out for Jetgo..
I'd love to see Airnorth expand into southern NSW. Maybe take on some of those old Jetgo routes? Think FC are doing okay with the Saabs.

This is intriguing- I took RE to possibly mean Regional Express. Bit extreme but they need to start thinking of SAAB replacements soon

I fly ZL regularly and the 340's are getting old. An E-jet may work on their heavier trafficked routes. I fly them to ONG 5 or 6 times a year. Has anyone else on here ever flown to ONG ?

I’m pretty sure the hint is suggesting that a previous E-jet operator is giving consideration to reintroducing the type. That narrows it down to VA, and probably VARA.

Maybe lower lease rates and lower VARA operating costs mean that E-jets are being looked at as a viable long-term replacement for the F100s on regional routes? I read on another thread that JetBlue are due to return a large number of leased E-jets from 2020 onwards as new A220s are delivered...

Can't see the VA group going down that path again considering reading so many complaints about the ongoing operational costs of the E190s over the years, despite it being a favourite with passengers.

My tip would be on sourcing used A319s and perhaps more A320 being transferred from the TT operation (as used 737s are transferred from VA mainline to TT).

brucetiki

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
There isn't really room for automated bag drops. They have to share the terminal with Jetstar, Tiger, Rex and Fly Pelican. They really need their own terminal like QF has.

SYD T2 is operating way above the capacity it wa designed for when AN opened it nearly 20 years ago. It is felt most acutely at landside check-in and security but the terminal does struggle. There was a plan at one stage of doing an airside link between T3 and T2 which would potentially reduce congestion as some airlines could use the T3 check-in hall. Nothing has come of this; maybe it will change at the end of the QF lease of T3 at which time their exclusivity over that terminal will end and will probably move to a priority gate arrangement similar to what VA has in T2.

T3 opens up to other airlines this year, under a deal they did a few years back QF will keep priority access to 12 of 17 gates and 75% of check in desks until 2025. Most of the shop leases also end this year, so there might be some upgrades to the facilities on offer. I wondered if we might see Jetstar relocate to ease T2?

True, T2 landside is essentially as Ansett left it. What struck me is that the disruption seemed limited to VA and not the other carriers in T2.
qf789 wrote:
Ryanair01 wrote:
Does anybody know what happened with the Virgin 'meltdown' in Sydney this week?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-expected-it-to-be-busy-but-wow-delays-at-sydney-airport-due-to-fog-20190102-p50p6i.html

I'm always cynical about these type of stories, but queuing out the door like that suggests something went pretty badly wrong.

VA had put out on social media that morning that delays were expected in both SYD and MEL as it was going to be particularly busy. The flight referenced in the article being VA555 was delayed for operational reasons. On top of that VA had to deal with a A332 at the wrong port after the red eye from PER diverted to MEL due to the fog in SYD. VA555 was operated by the inbound aircraft from HKG, with it only having just under 2 hours ground time, turning it around and add in it needed to be towed which could have been delayed to ATC it was an uphill battle to get the flight out of time. The displaced aircraft in MEL was ferried to SYD to operate the HKG flight which ended up with about a 3hr delay.

Interesting to know. Twitter videos seemed to show Jetstar just about coping, REX/Tiger desks coping but largely unstaffed and VA with queues out the door. I noticed somewhere it said they were queuing by departure time. I wondered if too many people turning up too early was a problem? I've known it when you need to ask pax who've arrived early to queue elsewhere, so that passengers for immediate flights can be processed. Certainly the number of desks VA has doesn't match their proportion of flights from T2, which would make that balance harder to achieve.

Hope there weren't too many people with connections in HKG!

VA are notorious for understaffing the check in counters at SYD. When I flew out of SYD in October, on a normal Sunday afternoon, the line was nearly out the door, and it took around 45 minutes to do the bag drop as they only had 4 counters operating (5 if you included the last minute line). The staff didn't help, having Prue and Trude style conversations among themselves, delaying bag drops to have their conversations and further adding to the line up. VA don't care about it, Facebook feedback got a response of 'Yeah we might do something about it.'

It's due to this experience VA weren't considered for my upcoming SYD-ADL flight - to the extent I seriously considered flying out of NTL (FP's 13kg checked baggage allowance was the dealbreaker there).

Compare that to ADL, where with the ADL-supplied self check in kiosks and automated bag drop you're done in minutes. My last experience out of MEL was very speedy, but that was at 6:00am - we'll see what happens next week when I'm flying at 5:00pm.

waoz1

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
Friend is currently on QF9
Last night in Perth apparently a few passengers were offloaded due to weight restrictions. She was one of them but was able to get a seat due to work commitments.

Were offerend Perth-Singapore-London in business if they went two days later.

Any ideas why it might be the case?
More fuel?

Stronger than normal headwinds? It looks like QF9 clocked in at 18hrs yesterday which seems above the normal flight time.

Spoke with our friend
20 passengers were offloaded flight and total flight time was 18 hours... must of been those head winds.

getluv

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Looks like QF and CX will be expanding their code sharing agreement in a few months. QF has just filed a notice for CX to codeshare on QF services to Hong Kong from 31 March. I guess QF will also be code sharing on CX services.

Further to this, QF has also filed a notice requesting 400 seats to Korea with services operated by CX/KA.

ben175

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm

A friend of mine is flying QF12 JFK-LAX in February and his booking has just been changed to a 744 - is this a mistake?

HM7

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

ben175 wrote:
A friend of mine is flying QF12 JFK-LAX in February and his booking has just been changed to a 744 - is this a mistake?

Probably. It doesn’t say so anywhere in the timetables

HM7

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm

ben175 wrote:

HM7

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm

ben175 wrote:

HM7

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Apologies for the triple post. My internet wasn’t working properly

aviationaware

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:28 pm

HM7 wrote:

You must be on Belong as well then ;)

With the A321LR replacing the 788 on some routes for JQ, where will the resulting slack be scheduled to? Are any details known yet?

jman

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 pm

aviationaware wrote:
HM7 wrote:

With the A321LR replacing the 788 on some routes for JQ, where will the resulting slack be scheduled to? Are any details known yet?

That won't be announced until the end of the year for a start date of the flights mid 2020

QF742

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 am

jman wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
HM7 wrote:

That won't be announced until the end of the year for a start date of the flights mid 2020

Although I don’t have data to back this up, my hunch is that they may try to make MEL/SYD-SGN daily each. Vietnam is hugely popular and not very much competition in flights compared to Bali. I also wonder if MEL-BKK will see an increase?

smi0006

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 am

getluv wrote:
Looks like QF and CX will be expanding their code sharing agreement in a few months. QF has just filed a notice for CX to codeshare on QF services to Hong Kong from 31 March. I guess QF will also be code sharing on CX services.

Further to this, QF has also filed a notice requesting 400 seats to Korea with services operated by CX/KA.

Interesting, I wonder if HU/HX and VA played into QF/CX hands by starting AU-HKG, enough completion to not pose a threat, but just enough to not worry the ACCC should QF and CX want to start to collaborate more and ultimately control capacity and pricing in the market ?

ben175

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 am

PER-SGN and PER-HKT would be great additions to the JQ network with a 321LR. No competition and JQ seems to do far better than VA ever did internationally from PER. The aircraft could be thrown on transcons to rotate them through the network or put them on Bali as well for crewing purposes (not having a PER base)

tullamarine

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 am

smi0006 wrote:
getluv wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if HU/HX and VA played into QF/CX hands by starting AU-HKG, enough completion to not pose a threat, but just enough to not worry the ACCC should QF and CX want to start to collaborate more and ultimately control capacity and pricing in the market ?

It is a codeshare not a JSA. Any attempt to collaborate on pricing or capacity would be illegal without JSA immunity and trigger multi-million dollar fines as well as potential loss of route rights.

smi0006

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
getluv wrote:

It is a codeshare not a JSA. Any attempt to collaborate on pricing or capacity would be illegal without JSA immunity and trigger multi-million dollar fines as well as potential loss of route rights.

Very true- was getting ahead of myself. But would codesharing have been permitted prior to VA entering the markets?

Qantas94Heavy

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 am

Note that codeshares can still be rejected if they would significantly reduce competition, such as with Qantas and Air Niugini: http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... r-niugini/

Having said that, there are already upcoming capacity reductions from both QF (747 -> 787) and CX (777 -> A330). This follows the 'price war' after VA introduced flights to HKG, where return fares below $500 were not that uncommon. (A couple of years ago, fares below $750 would be considered cheap already.)

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 am

Fiji Airways has scheduled an extra 2 flights to ADL for July 19

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 5328616448

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 am

Qantas94Heavy wrote:
Note that codeshares can still be rejected if they would significantly reduce competition, such as with Qantas and Air Niugini: http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... r-niugini/

Having said that, there are already upcoming capacity reductions from both QF (747 -> 787) and CX (777 -> A330). This follows the 'price war' after VA introduced flights to HKG, where return fares below $500 were not that uncommon. (A couple of years ago, fares below $750 would be considered cheap already.)

I would think VA would be happy with the result of both CX and QF having to adjust services from 747-787 or 777 to 330. VA's main objective of the HKG services was to offer fares at a lower price and it seems that has worked and has probably created yield pressures for both QF and CX. Moving forward it will be interesting to see if the CX/QF goes ahead, I would expect VA to oppose it on the grounds it may reduce competition.

Obzerva

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:09 am

getluv wrote:

I'm not sure QF is going to apply to have a QF number on CX flights, I don't think that'd get past the ACCC.
I think it's CX applying on QF for HKG-MEL flights, where as in lieu, QF gets CX/KA flights to ICN (and presumably PUS and CJU).

I'm wondering why Korea.
Is QF's relationship ending with OZ?
or is it because the OZ codeshare only offers ICN vs other Korean ports.

It's just interesting because QF only started to work with CX with the first step being flights to India, and that was suspiciously timed around when 9W (QF's current codeshare to India) looks like it was about to fold. So CX was a bet hedge for 9W.

Makes me wonder why Korea and why now.

zkncj

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am

aviationaware wrote:

Maybe USA mainland but via an secondary route e.g. MEL-AKL-LAX or MEL-NAN-LAX etc so not to directly compete with QF.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am

After announcing that both PVG-SYD and PVG-MEL will discontinue, Air China will increase PEK-SYD to daily for NS19

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-ns19/

Pcoder

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 am

zkncj wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Maybe USA mainland but via an secondary route e.g. MEL-AKL-LAX or MEL-NAN-LAX etc so not to directly compete with QF.

Or could possibly go to LAS, which would be mainly leisure traffic and less likely to siphon business traffic from QF. Other destinations in Americas that JQ could do think about could also include SCL,EZE, MEX and YVR.

But I'm wondering do the JQ B788s have crew rests? (Lack of this would probably limit any Americas expansion)

Another destination that hasn't been mentioned here is CTS. I'm a little surprised QF group don't offer any seasonal flights here as many Australians go the Hokkaido for the winter.

With the extra B788s they will most likely increase trips to South East Asian Destinations (BKK, SGN, etc) and possibly explore a few other options people have highlighted.

Qantas737

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am

Pcoder wrote:
zkncj wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Or could possibly go to LAS, which would be mainly leisure traffic and less likely to siphon business traffic from QF. Other destinations in Americas that JQ could do think about could also include SCL,EZE, MEX and YVR.

But I'm wondering do the JQ B788s have crew rests? (Lack of this would probably limit any Americas expansion)

Another destination that hasn't been mentioned here is CTS. I'm a little surprised QF group don't offer any seasonal flights here as many Australians go the Hokkaido for the winter.

With the extra B788s they will most likely increase trips to South East Asian Destinations (BKK, SGN, etc) and possibly explore a few other options people have highlighted.

JQ 788s don't have crew rests and as far as I know are quite unique as a result.

bunumuring

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:02 am

Hey guys,
There is the nose, cockpit and most of the forward fuselage of a Shorts 330 sitting on a custom built trailer in the Main Street of Burrawang, NSW, at the moment. It is bare metal with the remains of a curving red and white cheatline on it, that reminded me of the old American colourscheme. A yellow 'Ansett' labeled oki strap helped fasten it to the trailer.
I spoke with the owner this afternoon. He said that he had purchased it, and the rest of the fuselage, tail and wings, in Alice Springs. He apparently drives it to festivals and shows, the latest being in Werribee, Victoria.
If I could upload photos from my brand new iPhone, I would post photos of it..
Incidentally, through the now-opaque cabin Windows could clearly be seen an Ansett Air Freight container, other Ansett stuff and a large disco ball....
Cheers,
Bunumuring

A350OZ

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
There is the nose, cockpit and most of the forward fuselage of a Shorts 330 sitting on a custom built trailer in the Main Street of Burrawang, NSW, at the moment. It is bare metal with the remains of a curving red and white cheatline on it, that reminded me of the old American colourscheme. A yellow 'Ansett' labeled oki strap helped fasten it to the trailer.
I spoke with the owner this afternoon. He said that he had purchased it, and the rest of the fuselage, tail and wings, in Alice Springs. He apparently drives it to festivals and shows, the latest being in Werribee, Victoria.
If I could upload photos from my brand new iPhone, I would post photos of it..
Incidentally, through the now-opaque cabin Windows could clearly be seen an Ansett Air Freight container, other Ansett stuff and a large disco ball....
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Could it be this one: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09- ... ne/8887574

getluv

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am

Obzerva wrote:
getluv wrote:

I'm not sure QF is going to apply to have a QF number on CX flights, I don't think that'd get past the ACCC.
I think it's CX applying on QF for HKG-MEL flights, where as in lieu, QF gets CX/KA flights to ICN (and presumably PUS and CJU).

I'm wondering why Korea.
Is QF's relationship ending with OZ?
or is it because the OZ codeshare only offers ICN vs other Korean ports.

It's just interesting because QF only started to work with CX with the first step being flights to India, and that was suspiciously timed around when 9W (QF's current codeshare to India) looks like it was about to fold. So CX was a bet hedge for 9W.

Makes me wonder why Korea and why now.

It doesn’t need ACCC approval to get through. The ACCC can however raise concerns with the IASC during the comment period. I think this will get through because there’s a lot more indirect carriers competing. Also airfares are ridiculously low on this route.

Also it seems like Australian carriers do not have to apply to the IASC to put their code on HKG carriers. QF didn’t need approval from the IASC to codeshare on CX’s PER-HKG.

The deal re: South Korea gives pax more choice rather than the limited seats on the OZ service. QF don’t codeshare on any other flights to South Korea, rather they interline with JL, CX and OZ via other Asian ports.

sunbus617

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:58 am

Future JQ 787 routes: nothing multi-stop, nothing over 10 hours. SYD/MEL/BNE-DPS only in peak season.

bunumuring

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Hey A350OZ,
Yes, that's it! Definitely.
The white fuselage has obviously been stripped back to bare metal but the red stripe and a white stripe below it remain.
I would say that the fuselage has been severed at the point of the leading edge of the wing.
It really was an amazing sight watching it drive through the towns on the southern highlands before stopping in the tiny village of Burrawang, where it drew quite a bit of attention from curious locals as the fog and mist swirled around it!
I believe that some photos of it have been uploaded to social media for anyone interested.
Cheers,
And thanks again to A350OZ!
Bunumuring

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Latest on WIFI on both QF & VA

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-virgin- ... ource=hero

Both have 42 737's with WIFI installed, however I am pretty sure VA have more than 42

Qantas
QF says WIFI is taking longer than planned to install as they are doing it during planned maintenance and not withdrawing aircraft just for WIFI
All QF737's to be WIFI installed by end of 2019
10 A330's to have WIFI installed by end of the year

Virgin
Installation on 737;s will not be complete until 2020, rather than 2019. This suggests that the 737's being transferred to TT are not being installed with WIFI and as 737MAX arrives for VA, TT will receive more 737's
A330;s to have WIFI by the end of the year with the first being installed in Feb

zkncj

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Qantas737 wrote:
JQ 788s don't have crew rests and as far as I know are quite unique as a result.

What does JQ do for crew resets on MEL-HNL then?

tullamarine

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:22 pm

zkncj wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:

What does JQ do for crew resets on MEL-HNL then?

I believe they block out seats in the last row of J class which actually have a greater recline than the other 2 rows.

EGTESkyGod

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 am

Hi all

I did start a thread about this but I figured the Australian Aviation topic is as good a place to ask as any. I am looking for some details of flights dating back to 2006/2007. If anyone can give me the rego of the aircraft which flew the following sectors I would be very grateful.

24 NOV 2006 BNE-SYD DJ272 VH-???
29 DEC 2006 MEL-SYD QF454 VH-???
20 MAR 2007 SYD-AVV JQ311 VH-???
29 MAR 2007 AVV-SYD JQ620 VH-???

Thanks in advance, A.net!

qf2220

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am

getluv wrote:
Also it seems like Australian carriers do not have to apply to the IASC to put their code on HKG carriers. QF didn’t need approval from the IASC to codeshare on CX’s PER-HKG.

Perhaps the approvals for that were already there in the previous IASC determinations but QF/CX had not activated the services yet?

qf2220

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 am

In small airline news - Vic government supporting Sharp Airlines for 6 more months.

https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/keeping- ... -victoria/

I wonder if REX is looking at some of this? Though the seat count on the 340s is probably far too high....

Qantas94Heavy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:16 am

getluv wrote:

I believe that it is the authority for the operating carrier that may impose restrictions on codeshares. This is why for example where VA has codeshares on DL operated flights, this is reported to the US DOT: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0156-0014

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 am

SCFlyer wrote:
QF754 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

This is intriguing- I took RE to possibly mean Regional Express. Bit extreme but they need to start thinking of SAAB replacements soon

I fly ZL regularly and the 340's are getting old. An E-jet may work on their heavier trafficked routes. I fly them to ONG 5 or 6 times a year. Has anyone else on here ever flown to ONG ?

I’m pretty sure the hint is suggesting that a previous E-jet operator is giving consideration to reintroducing the type. That narrows it down to VA, and probably VARA.

Maybe lower lease rates and lower VARA operating costs mean that E-jets are being looked at as a viable long-term replacement for the F100s on regional routes? I read on another thread that JetBlue are due to return a large number of leased E-jets from 2020 onwards as new A220s are delivered...

Can't see the VA group going down that path again considering reading so many complaints about the ongoing operational costs of the E190s over the years, despite it being a favourite with passengers.

My tip would be on sourcing used A319s and perhaps more A320 being transferred from the TT operation (as used 737s are transferred from VA mainline to TT).

NZs A320CEO are now being replaced, with one in TSV after being withdrawn from service.

openskies88

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 am

qf789 wrote:

Both have 42 737's with WIFI installed, however I am pretty sure VA have more than 42

As at 20 December, 56 VA B737’s are fitted with wifi (rego’s if anyone is interested):

YIF, YIG, YFW, YVD, YIE, YIR, YIL, YIY, YIS, YIO, YIU, YWD, YIV, YFP, YFQ, YFS, YFR, YFT, YFU, YFG, YFV, YFJ, YFN, YFI, YVC, YID, YFL, YFY, VUW, YIB, YIQ, YIJ, YFE, VUR, VUS, BZG, YWE, YIW, YIZ, YIM, YIT, YIH, YFX, VUU, YIA, VUQ, VUO, YWA, VOO, VOP, YFK, YFF, VUH, VUT, YFH, YFC

All Yxx prefix registrations are the newer BSI interiors, the rest (Vxx and BZG) are standard NG.

tullamarine

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 am

openskies88 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

As at 20 December, 56 VA B737’s are fitted with wifi (rego’s if anyone is interested):

YIF, YIG, YFW, YVD, YIE, YIR, YIL, YIY, YIS, YIO, YIU, YWD, YIV, YFP, YFQ, YFS, YFR, YFT, YFU, YFG, YFV, YFJ, YFN, YFI, YVC, YID, YFL, YFY, VUW, YIB, YIQ, YIJ, YFE, VUR, VUS, BZG, YWE, YIW, YIZ, YIM, YIT, YIH, YFX, VUU, YIA, VUQ, VUO, YWA, VOO, VOP, YFK, YFF, VUH, VUT, YFH, YFC

All Yxx prefix registrations are the newer BSI interiors, the rest (Vxx and BZG) are standard NG.

56 is quite an advance on 42!!

I assume TT will be getting most of the VO* and VU* series 738s that aren't returned to lessors as the MAX8s start arriving hence the very low wifi install rate in the older planes. In 2 years, it is likely that will be virtually no mainline 738s that don't have BSI.

There are also the 2 stray 73Gs that only remain because they are owned rather than leased. Does anybody know what the plans are for these orphans?

Qantas16

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 am

Qantas had a great October 2018 according to BITRE... Everything inbound was above 80% (most above 90%) and outbound above 75%.

Their BNE-POM average lf was 80.3% inbound and 76.1% outbound. Compared to VA who could only managed 39.0/37.2% on the same route.

Source: https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... y_1810.pdf

vhebb

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 am

The BNE-POM loads have shot up since the PX codeshare ended. CNS-POM start again from March.

waoz1

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am

Helicopter Crash at Jandakot airport

Two occupants survived.
https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 50qon.html

getluv

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
getluv wrote:

Perhaps the approvals for that were already there in the previous IASC determinations but QF/CX had not activated the services yet?

As Qantas94 said QF only needs to apply to the IASC when they want to add a carrier’s codeshare onto the services.

CX must have authority to have QF’s code on their flights by the Jong Kong authorities.

SCFlyer

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am

SCFlyer wrote:
* One of VA's shareholders (possibly HNA) selling out before the end of the year - but stake may be to (dark-horse) China Eastern, perhaps influenced by both the Chinese Government and MU shareholder/VA USA JV partner - DL.
* EY announcing divesting VA before the 2019 year ends, stake following HNA sell-off to MU. DL and NH (Blue Swan Daily September 2018 dark-horse) announced as the potential suitors.

Looks like there's financial trouble for one of HNA's subsidiaries with news that they may possibly be filing directly for liquidation. (not sure if they officially offloaded HX/UO yet)
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... gency-plan

Going bold with the prediction that MU may be the bidder of HNA's 19.8% stake in VA later in the year, perhaps under the direction of both the CCP and DL.

Both DL and MU may keep an eye on the EY stake and EY's continual financial woes towards the end of the year. Should DL be the bidder of the EY stake in very late 2019/early 2020, it would give the Skyteam carriers a 40% stake in VA.

This would leave SQ's (Star) 20% stake and Nanshan's (unaligned) 20% stake, along with Branson's 10% stake. With news last year of SQ putting part of the blame for their profit downturn in the last quarter on their VA stake, I don't expect SQ to be interested in any further VA stake (nor sell out).

Also with Branson still owning a minority stake in VS (where VS is also majority owned by SkyTeam carriers), A combined 50% stake (MU, DL, Branson) it may also be enough for VA to form more partnerships with more SkyTeam carriers in late 2019/early 2020 without actually joining SkyTeam itself. While still maintaining their codeshare agreement with SQ for South East Asia and some European destinations.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

SCFlyer wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
* One of VA's shareholders (possibly HNA) selling out before the end of the year - but stake may be to (dark-horse) China Eastern, perhaps influenced by both the Chinese Government and MU shareholder/VA USA JV partner - DL.
* EY announcing divesting VA before the 2019 year ends, stake following HNA sell-off to MU. DL and NH (Blue Swan Daily September 2018 dark-horse) announced as the potential suitors.

Looks like there's financial trouble for one of HNA's subsidiaries with news that they may possibly be filing directly for liquidation. (not sure if they officially offloaded HX/UO yet)
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... gency-plan

Going bold with the prediction that MU may be the bidder of HNA's 19.8% stake in VA later in the year, perhaps under the direction of both the CCP and DL.

Both DL and MU may keep an eye on the EY stake and EY's continual financial woes towards the end of the year. Should DL be the bidder of the EY stake in very late 2019/early 2020, it would give the Skyteam carriers a 40% stake in VA.

This would leave SQ's (Star) 20% stake and Nanshan's (unaligned) 20% stake, along with Branson's 10% stake. With news last year of SQ putting part of the blame for their profit downturn in the last quarter on their VA stake, I don't expect SQ to be interested in any further VA stake (nor sell out).

Also with Branson still owning a minority stake in VS (where VS is also majority owned by SkyTeam carriers), A combined 50% stake (MU, DL, Branson) it may also be enough for VA to form more partnerships with more SkyTeam carriers in late 2019/early 2020 without actually joining SkyTeam itself. While still maintaining their codeshare agreement with SQ for South East Asia and some European destinations.

This entire post ignores the fact that MU has a JBA with QF.

eamondzhang

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

This entire post ignores the fact that MU has a JBA with QF.

And the fact that it's IIRC a JV, which means for flights between China and Australia QF/MU are effectively a single carrier, and QF has quite an extensive FFP partnership with MU.

Michael

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Qantas will take delivery of 3 787-9's this year, being LN921, LN929 and LN941

Going off this they will all be delivered in Q4 over a 6-8 week period

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm

A teenager has been deported back to Australia after he typed "I have a bomb" on a in flight messaging app on a aircraft preparing to leave AKL

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status ... 7776565248

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos