Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wingtips56

Re: Aer Lingus Announces Upcoming Brand Refresh

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 am

ELBOB wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
There are only so many options available for a Eurowhite base and a tail-only design.

Then do something else...? Eurowhite is not an ICAO regulation.

Easyjet had the balls to do something slightly different despite remaining primarily white and it paid-off, it's quick to ID one of their aircraft head-on at a busy airport or passing over at 5,000ft. And that's what branding is about, instant effortless recognition.

No matter where a current Aer Lingus aircraft has landed, it is distinctively Aer Lingus from any angle. They've thrown that away for the sake of a reduction in painting costs and a misguided desire to be 'on trend'. I confidently predict that this new livery won't last 23 years.

Oh don't get me wrong; I'm no fan of the Eurowhite/tail jobs. I miss cheatlines as minimum decor. Not a huge fan of the current EI livery, but it is distinctive. (I don't understand the cheatlines that end abruptly at the forward door, like EI, Singapore and the older NW Orient.)

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Is it just me, or does it look like a lazy version of Alaska's livery

IMHO it's Qantas with the engines coloured in

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Is it just me, or does it look like a lazy version of Alaska's livery

IMHO it's Qantas with the engines coloured in

Huh, I didn't even notice Qantas had a "revised" livery. But yeah, I agree with you.

NickWebb

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
ELBOB wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
There are only so many options available for a Eurowhite base and a tail-only design.

Then do something else...? Eurowhite is not an ICAO regulation.

Easyjet had the balls to do something slightly different despite remaining primarily white and it paid-off, it's quick to ID one of their aircraft head-on at a busy airport or passing over at 5,000ft. And that's what branding is about, instant effortless recognition.

No matter where a current Aer Lingus aircraft has landed, it is distinctively Aer Lingus from any angle. They've thrown that away for the sake of a reduction in painting costs and a misguided desire to be 'on trend'. I confidently predict that this new livery won't last 23 years.

Oh don't get me wrong; I'm no fan of the Eurowhite/tail jobs. I miss cheatlines as minimum decor. Not a huge fan of the current EI livery, but it is distinctive. (I don't understand the cheatlines that end abruptly at the forward door, like EI, Singapore and the older NW Orient.)

Is Eurowhite any different today than all those airlines that had white tops, cheat lines and grey/silver bellys??

BrianDromey

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

ELBOB wrote:

I’m not sure easyJet had any real desire to change their livery. easyJet were forced by easyGroup to change their livery. The brand licence requires easyXxxx to be in white text on an orange background. I don’t know why the previous livery was allowed and why easyGroup insisted on change. Perhaps because easyJet.com replaced the phone number previously on the fuselage, or that the titles were easyJet.com, rather than simply easyJet, or that Stelios had fallen out with management.

I do agree that this EI livery is unlikely to make it to 23. It feels contemporary and is unlikely to date well. In most ways it is an evolution of the current design, so could be worse.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 am

OA260 wrote:

No complaints from me, I think it looks just fine. I'll miss all the green, but it's fine enough.

It'll make repaints easier for anything leased in for a long period of time anyway :)

Wingtips56

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am

NickWebb wrote:

Is Eurowhite any different today than all those airlines that had white tops, cheat lines and grey/silver bellys??

Well in my case, it is a personal preference that goes way back. I built my first airliner model ..ugh 52 years ago. (It was an AA 707, with the lightning bolt and orange tail.) Model kits in just plain white didn't look like anything until I added color and, of course, the decals. The more stripes and stuff, the better. To me, the Eurowhite ones look like my old unfinished models I couldn't wait to put the decals on, and at the time, that involved cheat lines, viking mast heads (old SAS Caravelle model), meatballs, eagles, falcons, etc. Doing a CPAir 727 with all that orange paint was great. Much later on, I even started a model in the previous AerLingus livery, with all the green and the blue, with the white shamrock. I never finished it because I wanted to put "Air California" titles on it; when I was with Air California and AirCal, OC leased an EI 732 seasonally for several years, in full green glory! I'm biased, but the final AirCal livery is still my favorite.

Granted some of the cheatline era had boring tail designs. Western had a very boring tail, but that big red W stripe was great. So I do like the more vibrant modern tails now; and LH before ditching the yellow. Today, the billboard titles are fine to break up all that white if they don't look like they've been shot up with a Tommy Gun at a St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

I don't mind what appears in here to be the new EI tail. But the titling font is just too small. Billboard titles could break it up, again if it isn't shot full of holes.

JannEejit

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 am

Will the 757's even get the new livery though ? They're due to be replaced by the new A321Neo fleet soon are they not ? Or is the new livery designed to be a convenient 'return to lessor' uniform white with minimal repaint required ?

shamrock350

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am

JannEejit wrote:
Will the 757's even get the new livery though ? They're due to be replaced by the new A321Neo fleet soon are they not ? Or is the new livery designed to be a convenient 'return to lessor' uniform white with minimal repaint required ?

It’s unlikely they’ll get the new livery but safety cards will still neee to be updated to reflect the new branding.

Galwayman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Really really like it vast improvement . Professional , sleek , modern ... such a relief

Scorpio

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Really really like it vast improvement . Professional , sleek , modern ... such a relief

It looks exactly like everybody else's. Aer Lingus goes from having one of the most distinctive liveries out there to one of the blandest.

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

This is pretty much what was expected. Standard eurowhite layout.

A few personal comments/observations (totally subjective):
- With the main body now all white the title and logo seem too small and unbalanced
- Same issue with the colour of the title, because its now surrounded by white the green colour seems 'off'
- I'm not a fan of the removal the scallops from the shamrock and disassociating the leaves from the stem (though they could have done something clever with the negative space)
- I also don't like that the shamrock now flexes leeward rather than facing windward as in the previous livery
- The shamrock on the tail seems too small

That said, let's see what comes out of the hangar.

VFRonTop

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 pm

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Lingus/Boeing-737-548/468896

Just going to put this here to remind people its not all bad. :lol:

OA260

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-Lingus/Boeing-737-548/468896

Just going to put this here to remind people its not all bad. :lol:

Those indeed were dark days but thank god EI has come a long way from that time. :)

kaitak

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm

I have to say I like it - from the very limited view I have so far. As some have indicated above, I agree that it's quite ironic that the first artist's impression should be on a type unlikely ever to wear the new scheme!

I'm wondering if they will follow the trend of EK, QR, DL and one or two others and have a logo on the underside?

Looking forward to tmw. I think it will look great on the A330. If anything, I'd have liked the titles to be more "billboardish", a la Ryanair; the new font looks great and could do with being a bit bigger. Not sure I like the shamrock, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Will be interesting to see if the white will be "pearlescent", like some of the newer BA types (particularly the 787).

lydh

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm

I think it looks beautiful!

EK770

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

The few additional details on the AS livery make it stand out imo. I like the large titles underneath the window row, the new EI font/logo would have look well if done similarly I think![/quote]

JAmie2k9

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Launch will be live stremed on Facebook from 12.30 GMT tomorrow (17th).

OA940

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

I like it. The two shades give it a more exctiting look (LH should write this down). But I feel like the titles could use a more modern font and a larger size and the shamrock could be enlarged a little as well.

musman9853

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
Looks like the Irish version of American Airlines

American's livery is so much better than this eurowhite

airbazar

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

tonystan wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
RRTrent wrote:

I'd love for it to be the livery now.... just to come back to this message and call out a spoofer!

Yes it is the new livery but I saw drawings of an A321...

Now now children, adults are trying to have a discussion!

The irony of course, and in true a.net fashion was that "NickWebb" was right. The drawings show two tones of green in the tail and fuselage while the safety card only shows one tone of green.

Galwayman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

It looks exactly like everybody else's. Aer Lingus goes from having one of the most distinctive liveries out there to one of the blandest.

Let’s hipe they don’t botch the uniforms again, the current ones are cheap and nasty

VTCIE

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm

All very well done, IMO, given that another IAG carrier (IB) has done the same exact thing: from a colourful top to a white one, so that all colour (or most) resides on the tail. It's all fine by me if they don't alter the green and the shamrock so as not to be recognised. It can only be hoped that this livery will hold up half as long as the previous one did.

tonystan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Let’s hipe they don’t botch the uniforms again, the current ones are cheap and nasty

In fairness to the uniform, when it came out in 1998 when I went into it, it was very much a cut above the rest. It was modern, elegant and stood out and not just because of it’s colour. Unfortunately however it did not age well and let’s face it, 20 years is far too long for any uniform to last. Also, when it first was launched it had far superior fabrics and production quality plus you could request for it to be tailored for a better fit. All that has changed since the mid 00s when production was moved all over the place to the cheapest bidder and the cost to have it tailored to fit was no longer covered by the airline. They are well over due something fresh!

ELBOB

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm

OA260 wrote:

Those indeed were dark days but thank god EI has come a long way from that time. :)

The .com livery was dire but at least it wasn't pretentious. It wasn't announced as some sort of revelation, with roll-outs and champagne. It was stated to be an advertising campaign, it did its job and it disappeared.

~~

Perhaps we need a Law of Liveries. Once Lufthansa gets onboard with a trend, the trend is already passé.

DLHAM

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm

OA260 wrote:

Could have been worse! We will get used to it!

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

musman9853 wrote:

What a joke, lol!

alancostello

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

tonystan wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Scorpio wrote:

In fairness to the uniform, when it came out in 1998 when I went into it, it was very much a cut above the rest. It was modern, elegant and stood out and not just because of it’s colour. Unfortunately however it did not age well and let’s face it, 20 years is far too long for any uniform to last. Also, when it first was launched it had far superior fabrics and production quality plus you could request for it to be tailored for a better fit. All that has changed since the mid 00s when production was moved all over the place to the cheapest bidder and the cost to have it tailored to fit was no longer covered by the airline. They are well over due something fresh!

This is very true, my aunt was cabin crew in the late 90s and I remember her first day in the new uniform, it was an entirely different beast to the current ones, it was well cut and held on to its colour through being cleaned, the current ones all fade so quickly and get terribly misshapen.

sspontak

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:29 pm

The new brand update is a good one. It does seem to work better than the new LH livery.

jeffh747

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm

This livery is a carbon copy of Lufthansa, which is a carbon copy of Qantas. Just change the colors around, change the font size and it’s the exact same livery (except LH doesn’t have that seconf line extending down from the tail).
Extremely boring, but not surprising coming from a boring parent company in IAG.

OA260

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm

alancostello wrote:
tonystan wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

This is very true, my aunt was cabin crew in the late 90s and I remember her first day in the new uniform, it was an entirely different beast to the current ones, it was well cut and held on to its colour through being cleaned, the current ones all fade so quickly and get terribly misshapen.

Think it pretty much explains why some people say the uniforms are good and some dont. It very much depends on when they were wearing them. I know quite a few crew both currently working and some who left and when they went for the cheapest option it had an impact on the brand. I have seen better uniforms in small family run business. When you see front line crew with bits of their uniform literally falling apart it just looks a mess.

eirflot

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Yes
The current uniform needs a change
But grooming also needs an update and maybe some training sessions
I wonder what colours will be used and how will they fit with the refresh!! You would expect some consltation but....??

CarbonFibre

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Is EI-CVA positioning from SNN tonight? It's been in the paint shop for 7 days now.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

OA260 wrote:
Think it pretty much explains why some people say the uniforms are good and some dont. It very much depends on when they were wearing them. I know quite a few crew both currently working and some who left and when they went for the cheapest option it had an impact on the brand. I have seen better uniforms in small family run business. When you see front line crew with bits of their uniform literally falling apart it just looks a mess.

I never had the pleasure of seeing it in its heyday, only since Aer Lingus cut costs and went downmarket from the middle 2000s. It looks pretty shabby nowadays, and it's something you just can't cut costs on. They have to be high quality because they get a lot of use and need to last.

The company should also pay for people to go and get them individually tailored if they so wish. It looks so much better when the uniform fits the body and isn't a generic one size fits all. Apparently Pan American had this issue in the 1960s, where the uniform looked great on certain people, but looked awful on other shapes. Crew got wind of a good tailor in Paris and certain people were getting theirs altered to better fit them. Once management copped on, they were told they were not to have their uniforms tailored (even though they were doing it at their own expense). Crazy!

musman9853

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:03 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

What a joke, lol!

i'm completely serious. eurowhites are terrible liveries.

senatorflyer

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:23 pm

musman9853 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

What a joke, lol!

i'm completely serious. eurowhites are terrible liveries.

It depends on execution and the overall brand. Air France, Finnair and the previous Swiss livery look good in my opinion.

Lufthansa could have been better and Eurowings is just crap because the brand is unappealing IMO.

Virginblue4

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I much prefer this new livery. I find their current livery is outdated and instantly makes the aircraft look old. I look forward to seeing real photos of the livery rather than just renderings.

seahawk

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Very contemporary and clean - well done.

RalXWB

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Cannot wait to see it on the 321LR.

savio11

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 pm

Are EI just teasing us with this new logo. Watch this then.

http://aerlingus.newsweaver.com/News/17 ... -311176915

alancostello

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 am

savio11 wrote:

Part of me secretly hopes that they roll out the outline swirly shamrock that is *heavily* featured and quite beautiful, but I know that’s not going to happen.

b4thefall

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 am

alancostello wrote:
savio11 wrote:

Part of me secretly hopes that they roll out the outline swirly shamrock that is *heavily* featured and quite beautiful, but I know that’s not going to happen.

Yes! Wow... I love that shamrock! Much better than the one that has apparently been chosen as the final livery. Less than 12 hrs until we all know what it looks like on a real aircraft!

b4thefall

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 am

Also , at 33 seconds into the video, there are 6 variations of what the new livery could have been. It looks like they have chosen the one on the top left, but without the billboard titles (if the rendering we have all seen is correct) .

smi0006

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 am

eirflot wrote:
Yes
The current uniform needs a change
But grooming also needs an update and maybe some training sessions
I wonder what colours will be used and how will they fit with the refresh!! You would expect some consltation but....??

When will the uniform be revealed tomorrow too?

seahawk

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am

b4thefall wrote:
Also , at 33 seconds into the video, there are 6 variations of what the new livery could have been. It looks like they have chosen the one on the top left, but without the billboard titles (if the rendering we have all seen is correct) .

And if you look at the options, you see that they seem to have picked the one with the best looking branding - regardless of the livery. The logo variations are clearly better than the other options, while the livery is probably the most boring. But in the end, when do you see the livery and who cares about it?

JesseCasserly

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 am

Anybody notice how most of the A330's with the concept liveries in that video have the raccoon/A350 style cockpit windows?!?! That would look insane!! :bouncy: A bit like Air Canada, I love it! Though I am glad we know for certain that they didn't go with that Irish flag ribbon with the orange tail :boggled:

CarbHeatIn

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

Picture of the new livery 330 in the hangar is on boards https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=470605&d=1547713742

EK770

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 am

CarbHeatIn wrote:
Picture of the new livery 330 in the hangar is on boards https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=470605&d=1547713742

Meh........ If only the titles were bigger!!!!!! Shamrock is a little disappointing but I guess it's an evolution ....

upintheair2018

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am

gatibosgru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am

Wish the shamrock was also on the engines, but I def don't hate it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos