Someone83

Re: VS LHR-TLV

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm

BA777FO wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
1hr45min turn?! They should be able to do this in 75mins Max.

If you exclude the time to disembark and reboard ~300 passengers that'd leave you with about 20 minutes to clean and recater the aircraft. Local Israeli procedures do not allow refuelling with passengers onboard either so you'd struggle to refuel in that 15/20 minutes anyway. 1h45 sounds like a typical longhaul turnaround time. This isn't a cheap and cheerful low frills flight.

And now you ruined the discussion with facts :D :thumbsup:

CaliguyNYC

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Where did VS get these slots - meaning what flight was cancelled for this?

yochai

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:40 pm

BA777FO wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

If you exclude the time to disembark and reboard ~300 passengers that'd leave you with about 20 minutes to clean and recater the aircraft. Local Israeli procedures do not allow refuelling with passengers onboard either so you'd struggle to refuel in that 15/20 minutes anyway. 1h45 sounds like a typical longhaul turnaround time. This isn't a cheap and cheerful low frills flight.

That is incorrect, you can refuel with pax on board at TLV as long as you have a fire truck on standby. We (El Al) often have the jetbridge removed while the fuel truck disconnects from the aircraft on our long haul flights

smi0006

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm

BA777FO wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

At the carrier I work for we turn 789/772 and 77W I’m 75mins for a 4hr sector- 3class. It can be done for midhaul, and saves time to support crew duty limits.

The refueling thing is new to me, so that could throw a spanner in the works however.

BA777FO

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

yochai wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

That is incorrect, you can refuel with pax on board at TLV as long as you have a fire truck on standby. We (El Al) often have the jetbridge removed while the fuel truck disconnects from the aircraft on our long haul flights

How many fire trucks are on standby for aircraft refuelling versus how many aircraft require refuelling? You may get special treatment on occassions as the home-based airline but as a foreign carrier we are told no refuelling with passengers onboard.

You mention that you have the jetbridge removed while the fuel truck disconnects - how many passengers can you board with the jetbridge removed? ;)

smi0006 wrote:
At the carrier I work for we turn 789/772 and 77W I’m 75mins for a 4hr sector- 3class. It can be done for midhaul, and saves time to support crew duty limits.

We turn our 777s around in 1 hour/70 minutes on our Caribbean shuttles, but we don't do a full recatering and have some passengers that continue through without the need to disembark. To properly clean/re-cater and redress the cabin for a longhaul service it takes much longer. Despite being ~5 hours LHR-TLV receives the full long haul product, not a domestic/short haul service. We do LHR-DME as a day trip as a full long haul service and that's right on the FDP limits.

As the Virgin flights are geared towards connections it's all a moot point anyway - the aircraft sits on the ground at TLV for 11 hours in summer and 8 hours in winter.

yochai

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 pm

BA777FO wrote:
yochai wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

How many fire trucks are on standby for aircraft refuelling versus how many aircraft require refuelling? You may get special treatment on occassions as the home-based airline but as a foreign carrier we are told no refuelling with passengers onboard.

You mention that you have the jetbridge removed while the fuel truck disconnects - how many passengers can you board with the jetbridge removed? ;)

smi0006 wrote:

We turn our 777s around in 1 hour/70 minutes on our Caribbean shuttles, but we don't do a full recatering and have some passengers that continue through without the need to disembark. To properly clean/re-cater and redress the cabin for a longhaul service it takes much longer. Despite being ~5 hours LHR-TLV receives the full long haul product, not a domestic/short haul service. We do LHR-DME as a day trip as a full long haul service and that's right on the FDP limits.

As the Virgin flights are geared towards connections it's all a moot point anyway - the aircraft sits on the ground at TLV for 11 hours in summer and 8 hours in winter.

Well, we usually finish boarding before the fuel truck disconnects ;) Refueling with pax on board is also done by many foreign airlines in TLV, Easyjet,Ryanair and Wizz for example who have 45 minute turnarounds always have that, same with Transavia, SN (Dayflight) and plenty of other airlines (usually those that depart very close to the night curfew). I guess it is company policy at BA to save money.

BA777FO

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 am

yochai wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
yochai wrote:

smi0006 wrote:

Well, we usually finish boarding before the fuel truck disconnects ;) Refueling with pax on board is also done by many foreign airlines in TLV, Easyjet,Ryanair and Wizz for example who have 45 minute turnarounds always have that, same with Transavia, SN (Dayflight) and plenty of other airlines (usually those that depart very close to the night curfew). I guess it is company policy at BA to save money.

It doesn't have anything to do with money, I doubt refuelling with the fire trucks costs much if anything. It must be all those firefighters spend their day doing!

Nightstopping a crew costs far more - but the revenue upside from better timings makes it worth it. There was no need for a cheap shot like that at all.

yochai

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

BA777FO wrote:
yochai wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with money, I doubt refuelling with the fire trucks costs much if anything. It must be all those firefighters spend their day doing!

Nightstopping a crew costs far more - but the revenue upside from better timings makes it worth it. There was no need for a cheap shot like that at all.

I am actually talking about the afternoon flight which has a long 2 hour turn around, not the night flight.

BA777FO

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

yochai wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
yochai wrote:

I am actually talking about the afternoon flight which has a long 2 hour turn around, not the night flight.

2 hours is just about a standard turn time for a 4-class 777 anywhere on our network. We're not just turning around a no-frills A320 with minimal cabin dressing or minimal catering. Especially from a congested Heathrow, the risk to the operation of trying to crew this as a day trip isn't worth it.

sixfootscream

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Cunard

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:03 am

sixfootscream wrote:

It was made official by Virgin Atlantic at least two weeks ago, routesonline are just behind in publishing it on their website.

I read routesonline every day and even though they are very good in publishing regular updates on a daily basis I have noticed a few lately that have been public knowledge for at least a few days.

The VS LHR-TLV being one of them!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos