ThomasMTroxell
Topic Author
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 am

SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:40 pm

This morning SkyWest announced that ExpressJet will be sold to United JV ManaAir and the sale is expected to close Q1 2019.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/skywe ... 2018-12-18
CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E90 DC9 MD80 MD88 MD90 717 733 734 735 73W 738 739ER 744 752 753 763 76W 764 77E 77L 77W A319 A320 A321 A343 US HP DL FL WN LH AC BA AB UA TW
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?
 
User avatar
FlightLevel360
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I would assume that this is a way for United to get more CRJ-200s.
It's not the A220. It's the Bombardier CSeries. Period.
Long live the A380 and 747!
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9253
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:52 pm

ThomasMTroxell wrote:
This morning SkyWest announced that ExpressJet will be sold to United JV ManaAir and the sale is expected to close Q1 2019.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/skywe ... 2018-12-18

How many times has UACO owned ExpressJet? 3x?
 
User avatar
Web500sjc
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:53 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?



I think it was more to do with the employees (pilots) loosing faith in OO management. The pilots union just signed a new contract that gave OO 3 months to sell ExpressJet or else the contract would re open, the pilots themselves have been leaving in droves and they have not had the ability to hire replacements. The FAs were getting furloughed and thier HQ is in a hanger on the north side of the ATL airport that has delta branding all over it, even though they no longer do DL connection flying.

Honestly I don’t think the day to day employees felt that OO mangment in SGU had thier backs when it came to anything- and demanded a change.
Boiler Up!
 
NW747-400
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 1999 4:42 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

As part of the transaction, EV has been awarded 25 E175.

Finally some good news for a great group of industry professionals.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:00 pm

NW747-400 wrote:
As part of the transaction, EV has been awarded 25 E175.

Finally some good news for a great group of industry professionals.


They will be the E175SC’s. (70 seat config to skirt the UA scope limits)
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
capitalflyer
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:00 pm

What or who is ManaAir? UA shell company? Regional Airline?
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:12 pm

What will become of Expressjet's CRJ700 flying for American Eagle?
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
What or who is ManaAir? UA shell company? Regional Airline?


A UA shell company to keep the FA's happy at United in terms of subsidiaries and who does the FA staffing.
From my cold, dead hands
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm

freakyrat wrote:
What will become of Expressjet's CRJ700 flying for American Eagle?


Those had already been announced to be leaving, going back to OO months ago.
From my cold, dead hands
 
NW747-400
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 1999 4:42 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:17 pm

freakyrat wrote:
What will become of Expressjet's CRJ700 flying for American Eagle?


That CPA ends on Jan 6, 2019 and transitions to SkyWest.
 
ScottB
Posts: 6494
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Web500sjc wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?


I think it was more to do with the employees (pilots) loosing faith in OO management. The pilots union just signed a new contract that gave OO 3 months to sell ExpressJet or else the contract would re open, the pilots themselves have been leaving in droves and they have not had the ability to hire replacements. The FAs were getting furloughed and thier HQ is in a hanger on the north side of the ATL airport that has delta branding all over it, even though they no longer do DL connection flying.

Honestly I don’t think the day to day employees felt that OO mangment in SGU had thier backs when it came to anything- and demanded a change.


Well, OO management wouldn't have agreed to a contract like that if they didn't want to dump ExpressJet anyway. EV has been a boat anchor on SKYW's financials pretty much since SKYW bought them -- EV lost $32.5 million last year and has lost $12.4 million through the first three quarters of this year. The DL Connection flying is done (or will be done by year-end) and the AA Eagle flying ends next year. By the time the deal closes, ExpressJet will be back to what it was about 20 years ago -- flying 100 or so ERJs with golden globes on blue tails.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm

ScottB wrote:
Web500sjc wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?


I think it was more to do with the employees (pilots) loosing faith in OO management. The pilots union just signed a new contract that gave OO 3 months to sell ExpressJet or else the contract would re open, the pilots themselves have been leaving in droves and they have not had the ability to hire replacements. The FAs were getting furloughed and thier HQ is in a hanger on the north side of the ATL airport that has delta branding all over it, even though they no longer do DL connection flying.

Honestly I don’t think the day to day employees felt that OO mangment in SGU had thier backs when it came to anything- and demanded a change.


Well, OO management wouldn't have agreed to a contract like that if they didn't want to dump ExpressJet anyway. EV has been a boat anchor on SKYW's financials pretty much since SKYW bought them -- EV lost $32.5 million last year and has lost $12.4 million through the first three quarters of this year. The DL Connection flying is done (or will be done by year-end) and the AA Eagle flying ends next year. By the time the deal closes, ExpressJet will be back to what it was about 20 years ago -- flying 100 or so ERJs with golden globes on blue tails.


Not true, EV is flying CR2's for United now as well. Delta Connection has been done for ~3 weeks, AA ends in 3 weeks or so.
From my cold, dead hands
 
hohd
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm

ExpressJet ownership comes a full circle. CO owned it, then they divested, and now after merger with UA, UA will own it again.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Rumor is that the Mesa 175 contracts that are set to expire will not be renewed and aircraft will be moved to ExpressJet.
SFO
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Rumor is that the Mesa 175 contracts that are set to expire will not be renewed and aircraft will be moved to ExpressJet.


Perhaps, but not yet. The 25 175SC's going to XJT now, would be replacing 25 CR7's, so either OO, YV or G7 have to lose airplanes. I'd put money on G7, but that's just a guess.
From my cold, dead hands
 
N766UA
Posts: 8198
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:50 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Congratulations, Expressjet! Finally out from under the thumb of Skywest. Outstanding news for their pilot group, especially.
 
dopplerd
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:04 pm

There is an air conditioner repair operation in Phuket, Thailand (mana-air.com) that is going to wake up to a big spike in web traffic.
 
N766UA
Posts: 8198
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:50 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 pm

ScottB wrote:
Web500sjc wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?


I think it was more to do with the employees (pilots) loosing faith in OO management. The pilots union just signed a new contract that gave OO 3 months to sell ExpressJet or else the contract would re open, the pilots themselves have been leaving in droves and they have not had the ability to hire replacements. The FAs were getting furloughed and thier HQ is in a hanger on the north side of the ATL airport that has delta branding all over it, even though they no longer do DL connection flying.

Honestly I don’t think the day to day employees felt that OO mangment in SGU had thier backs when it came to anything- and demanded a change.


Well, OO management wouldn't have agreed to a contract like that if they didn't want to dump ExpressJet anyway. EV has been a boat anchor on SKYW's financials pretty much since SKYW bought them -- EV lost $32.5 million last year and has lost $12.4 million through the first three quarters of this year. The DL Connection flying is done (or will be done by year-end) and the AA Eagle flying ends next year. By the time the deal closes, ExpressJet will be back to what it was about 20 years ago -- flying 100 or so ERJs with golden globes on blue tails.


LOL “Expressjet has been a boat anchor.” Sorry, but Skywest is the one who negotiated their contracts, set their SOP’s, and had the power to manage every detail of their operations. If Expressjet wasn’t performing, that’s on Skywest.

I hope United capitalizes on this, too. They’re heretofore the only legacy without a WO regional, and frankly the motley group they have is pretty underwhelming, especially with all those 50-seaters. I think it’s about time they worked to improve United Express.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:13 pm

WooHoo! Congrats XJT! Finally out from under Skywest. Great day for the entire XJT Pilot group.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Web500sjc wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?



I think it was more to do with the employees (pilots) loosing faith in OO management. The pilots union just signed a new contract that gave OO 3 months to sell ExpressJet or else the contract would re open, the pilots themselves have been leaving in droves and they have not had the ability to hire replacements. The FAs were getting furloughed and thier HQ is in a hanger on the north side of the ATL airport that has delta branding all over it, even though they no longer do DL connection flying.

Honestly I don’t think the day to day employees felt that OO mangment in SGU had thier backs when it came to anything- and demanded a change.

was or wont be. AFAIK ExpressJet is completely turning the hangar back over to Delta. Delta needed the space and for obvious reasons EV didn't.

HQ will move next door back into the old HQ building behind the Delta hangar.
 
burnsie28
Posts: 5270
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:49 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Rumor is that the Mesa 175 contracts that are set to expire will not be renewed and aircraft will be moved to ExpressJet.


Perhaps, but not yet. The 25 175SC's going to XJT now, would be replacing 25 CR7's, so either OO, YV or G7 have to lose airplanes. I'd put money on G7, but that's just a guess.


Interesting, the way that article linked is written makes it sounds like Skywest will be getting the 25 planes.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Rumor is that the Mesa 175 contracts that are set to expire will not be renewed and aircraft will be moved to ExpressJet.


Perhaps, but not yet. The 25 175SC's going to XJT now, would be replacing 25 CR7's, so either OO, YV or G7 have to lose airplanes. I'd put money on G7, but that's just a guess.


Interesting, the way that article linked is written makes it sounds like Skywest will be getting the 25 planes.


The internal announcement at XJT says they're getting the 25 175SC's, for what it's worth.
From my cold, dead hands
 
deltaffindfw
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm

It says "United JV ManaAir". So, if it's a joint venture, who is the other owner?
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:35 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Perhaps, but not yet. The 25 175SC's going to XJT now, would be replacing 25 CR7's, so either OO, YV or G7 have to lose airplanes. I'd put money on G7, but that's just a guess.


Interesting, the way that article linked is written makes it sounds like Skywest will be getting the 25 planes.


The internal announcement at XJT says they're getting the 25 175SC's, for what it's worth.


Internal announcement at UA also says XJT will fly them.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
BBDFlyer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:57 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Rumor is that the Mesa 175 contracts that are set to expire will not be renewed and aircraft will be moved to ExpressJet.


Perhaps, but not yet. The 25 175SC's going to XJT now, would be replacing 25 CR7's, so either OO, YV or G7 have to lose airplanes. I'd put money on G7, but that's just a guess.

OO just renewed the CRJ700 contract with United, and they are mainly to fly to Aspen and Mammoth Lakes (mostly ASE though). Gojet tried to establish an ASE program two years ago and were unsuccessful.
 
BBDFlyer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

deltaffindfw wrote:
It says "United JV ManaAir". So, if it's a joint venture, who is the other owner?

United will be the minority partner. United's flight attendant contract stipulates that if United is a majority owner, all of the FA's must be under the mainline FA contract.
 
Yakflyer
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:07 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:09 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
Uh oh. Is SkyWest bleeding right now? Do they need the cash or did United approach them?


This transaction has been rumored for a long time and is no surprise. I don't think it has as much to do with $$$ as control and behind the scenes factors. This will be a very good thing for the employees of ExpressJet.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15261
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
As part of the transaction, EV has been awarded 25 E175.

Finally some good news for a great group of industry professionals.


They will be the E175SC’s. (70 seat config to skirt the UA scope limits)


And by “skirt” you mean “comply with,” correct?

It was negotiated and agreed upon by both sides, remember?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3483
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:15 pm

N766UA wrote:
LOL “Expressjet has been a boat anchor.” Sorry, but Skywest is the one who negotiated their contracts, set their SOP’s, and had the power to manage every detail of their operations. If Expressjet wasn’t performing, that’s on Skywest.

Actually, most of EV's contracts were negotiated prior to OO buying them. OO has had pretty limited latitude to improve the economics of what is a very poor performing company (financially).
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:18 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
As part of the transaction, EV has been awarded 25 E175.

Finally some good news for a great group of industry professionals.


They will be the E175SC’s. (70 seat config to skirt the UA scope limits)


And by “skirt” you mean “comply with,” correct?

It was negotiated and agreed upon by both sides, remember?


I don’t mean it in a nefarious way. UA is at the limit of 76 seaters, so a 76 seat airplane with 6 seats removed is most certainly skirting the limit. We know it’s not configured that way for passenger comfort.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Fleet dump.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
flight152
Posts: 3395
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm

DL717 wrote:
Fleet dump.

Um. What?
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

They will be the E175SC’s. (70 seat config to skirt the UA scope limits)


And by “skirt” you mean “comply with,” correct?

It was negotiated and agreed upon by both sides, remember?


I don’t mean it in a nefarious way. UA is at the limit of 76 seaters, so a 76 seat airplane with 6 seats removed is most certainly skirting the limit. We know it’s not configured that way for passenger comfort.

Brings back memories of Mesaba's LUXURIOUSLY configured ARJ85's at 69 seats. The were sweet from passenger standpoint, but skirted(complied with) scope clauses!
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

I seem to recall, Mana Air is also majority owner of CommutAir. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two carriers combined.
SFO
 
airtran737
Posts: 3405
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Congrats to the XJT pilot group for escaping the Kool-Aide drinkers at SkyWest. This is a nice early Christmas present for them.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3483
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:27 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
I seem to recall, Mana Air is also majority owner of CommutAir. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two carriers combined.

Different company. Perhaps you could take a minute to check your facts before posting?

"Headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, CommutAir, operating as United Express, was founded in 1989 and is majority owned by Champlain Enterprises Inc. and 40% owned by United Airlines."
http://www.flycommutair.com/aboutus/
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
I seem to recall, Mana Air is also majority owner of CommutAir. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two carriers combined.

Different company. Perhaps you could take a minute to check your facts before posting?

"Headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, CommutAir, operating as United Express, was founded in 1989 and is majority owned by Champlain Enterprises Inc. and 40% owned by United Airlines."
http://www.flycommutair.com/aboutus/

Allow me to clarify - the guy who owns a majority stake in CommutAir is one of the guys behind ManaAir.
SFO
 
burnsie28
Posts: 5270
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:49 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

They will be the E175SC’s. (70 seat config to skirt the UA scope limits)


And by “skirt” you mean “comply with,” correct?

It was negotiated and agreed upon by both sides, remember?


I don’t mean it in a nefarious way. UA is at the limit of 76 seaters, so a 76 seat airplane with 6 seats removed is most certainly skirting the limit. We know it’s not configured that way for passenger comfort.


DL does they same thing they have 70 seat E75's and CR9's.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3483
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:43 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
I seem to recall, Mana Air is also majority owner of CommutAir. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two carriers combined.

Different company. Perhaps you could take a minute to check your facts before posting?

"Headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, CommutAir, operating as United Express, was founded in 1989 and is majority owned by Champlain Enterprises Inc. and 40% owned by United Airlines."
http://www.flycommutair.com/aboutus/

Allow me to clarify - the guy who owns a majority stake in CommutAir is one of the guys behind ManaAir.

And you can cite your source?
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
I seem to recall, Mana Air is also majority owner of CommutAir. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the two carriers combined.

Different company. Perhaps you could take a minute to check your facts before posting?

"Headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, CommutAir, operating as United Express, was founded in 1989 and is majority owned by Champlain Enterprises Inc. and 40% owned by United Airlines."
http://www.flycommutair.com/aboutus/

Allow me to clarify - the guy who owns a majority stake in CommutAir is one of the guys behind ManaAir.


I would not be surprised if an attempt is made merge CommutAir and Expressjet


I wonder if Skywest will finally make a play for Mesa?
 
kabq737
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
Different company. Perhaps you could take a minute to check your facts before posting?

"Headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, CommutAir, operating as United Express, was founded in 1989 and is majority owned by Champlain Enterprises Inc. and 40% owned by United Airlines."
http://www.flycommutair.com/aboutus/

Allow me to clarify - the guy who owns a majority stake in CommutAir is one of the guys behind ManaAir.


I would not be surprised if an attempt is made merge CommutAir and Expressjet


I wonder if Skywest will finally make a play for Mesa?


Surely Skywest doesn’t want to get right into absorbing another carrier immediately after coming off of this failure. I’m also not sure how worth it Mesa would be to acquire. It is my understanding that Mesa is its own worst enemy.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40,
PA-46
 
MO11
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:14 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

I don’t mean it in a nefarious way. UA is at the limit of 76 seaters, so a 76 seat airplane with 6 seats removed is most certainly skirting the limit. We know it’s not configured that way for passenger comfort.


Actually, it is an 88-seat airplane that was recertificated to 76 seats to comply with other airlines' scope clause provisions, which was recertificated again to 70 seats.
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Also announced today is the configuration for the E175SC for UA. Here’s some comparisons between UA and DL

DL E175SC - 12F/20Y+/44Y
UA E175SC - 12F/28Y+/30Y
UA E175 - 12F/16Y+/48Y
DL E175 - 12F/20Y+/38Y

I wonder if UA will give XJT flow to mainline to help attract and retain pilots
 
toltommy
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:04 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:

I would not be surprised if an attempt is made merge CommutAir and Expressjet.


I would be surprised. First of all, they currently are owned by two separate companies. Champlain owns one, this Mana JV owns the other. Even if they were one company, you can't whipsaw one pilot group against the other if they are combined.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3054
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm

toltommy wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

I would not be surprised if an attempt is made merge CommutAir and Expressjet.


I would be surprised. First of all, they currently are owned by two separate companies. Champlain owns one, this Mana JV owns the other. Even if they were one company, you can't whipsaw one pilot group against the other if they are combined.


Until there is a large surplus of pilots on the market, the whipsaw is dead.
From my cold, dead hands
 
ThePinnacleKid
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:47 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
N766UA wrote:
LOL “Expressjet has been a boat anchor.” Sorry, but Skywest is the one who negotiated their contracts, set their SOP’s, and had the power to manage every detail of their operations. If Expressjet wasn’t performing, that’s on Skywest.

Actually, most of EV's contracts were negotiated prior to OO buying them. OO has had pretty limited latitude to improve the economics of what is a very poor performing company (financially).



No, he was correct... the Contracts were SkyWest.. not ExpressJet. OO negotiated a "New CPA" with Continental that replaced the long term CPA Legacy XJT had entered into contingent upon the sale and purchase of XJT by SKW, Inc. Having lived it as a L-XJT'er... We had just finished a new long term CPA of 7 years... when SKW attempted in 2008 to get us.. they failed.. in 2010 they tried again, had a 10 year CPA in place lined up with CO behind XJT's back, and then succeeded in the transaction as at that point CO basically told XJT they would do the deal or at the end of the current contract they had they would be COMAIR'd... soooooo hello SKW, ASA, XJT cluster f that transpired...

Here's how it really went down back then.. despite the SKW spin job of an XJT Loss Making Anchor... the truth was SKW covered up their costs by shifting things like SKW, INC IT etc to be fully on the ASA/XJT side etc for SEC filings... always making themselves look good...

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... tion-32650
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"
 
fdxtulmech
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Yup, Skywest used legacy XJT and ASA to gain more profitable routs for Skywest while pushing all of the less profitable 50 seat routs onto XJT. I worked there for nearly 20 years and watched a great company be torn apart by Skywest. Every time we made progress or get close to being profitable we would get knocked back down. Our management team couldn't even make decisions during contract negotiations without having to wait for Skywest to okay it. When they came in we had 274 aircraft and I don't know how many ASA had and now there down to what, 120ish? They lost the Delta contract, the American contract and have all but scuttled the legacy ASA side. I wish those guys all the luck in the world. Things might be looking up and they can finally get some new equipment on property.
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: SkyWest to sell ExpressJet

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 pm

toltommy wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

I would not be surprised if an attempt is made merge CommutAir and Expressjet.


I would be surprised. First of all, they currently are owned by two separate companies. Champlain owns one, this Mana JV owns the other. Even if they were one company, you can't whipsaw one pilot group against the other if they are combined.


Commutair is 40% owned by United as of 2016. As someone stated there are people with hands in both Mana and Champlain/Commutair. I can definitely see a combined Expressjet where United owns technically 49% but will theoretically control 100% airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos