Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LupineChemist

Re: United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12/12)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:44 pm

rbavfan wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
Doesn't this strengthen the case for granting the QF/AA JV? May have been better to wait since if that got denied again it was going to be dead.

Why would it strenghen the case to allow the JV so they can work together to block out a competition.

Because it shows there's more competition for AA/QF and weakens the argument that they'd monopolize US/AUS. I mean it's not a make or break thing, but I do think it certainly weakens the arguments against banning the JV.

LawAndOrder

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm

simpv wrote:
I think there is too much negativity towards UA on this. Sure, some of the routes were already announced, but UA is the only US airline with nonstops to India, and the only one to fly to MEL and PPT. They've also done expansion at SFO domestically to places like PAE, CMH, and FAI. If DL had done this, this forum would have melted down by now.

Plus, I think what UA is doing enables other partner airlines to do what they do. By flying SFO-AKL and SFO-YYZ, NZ and AC can free up some of their frames for other--sexier--routes. So congrats to UA.

There is a lot of negativity towards every airline. I don’t think it’s more slanted to UA. When you announce the day before that you are making a historic announcement you open your self up for scrutiny. I’m in and PR and to me it looked just like a response to Delta getting a lot of press. Just like United new uniforms “leaked” the day before DL uniforms rolled out. That isn’t a crime though so I don’t fault United. Good route announcements for them.

Oh and Delta announced a return to India so UA won’t be the only ones in India.

deltal1011man

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:47 pm

simpv wrote:
I think there is too much negativity towards UA on this. Sure, some of the routes were already announced, but UA is the only US airline with nonstops to India, and the only one to fly to MEL and PPT. They've also done expansion at SFO domestically to places like PAE, CMH, and FAI. If DL had done this, this forum would have melted down by now.

Plus, I think what UA is doing enables other partner airlines to do what they do. By flying SFO-AKL and SFO-YYZ, NZ and AC can free up some of their frames for other--sexier--routes. So congrats to UA.

no kidding. People need to quit b**chin

I'd pay money just for a decent Delta service to Hong Kong, much less flights to place like AKL/PPT/MEL/non-stop SIN and DEL.

I will add, I would have expect United to grow Soul with flights to places like EWR and/or ORD before adding more to SFO. Interesting choice.
Last edited by deltal1011man on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigGSFO

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-2019/

SFO-DEL, SFO-MEL and additional frequencies to AKL, YYZ, ICN, etc.

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
simpv wrote:

no kidding. People need to quit b**chin

I'd pay money just for a decent Delta service to Hong Kong, much less flights to place like AKL/PPT/MEL/non-stop SIN and DEL.

I will add, I would have expect United to grow Soul with flights to places like EWR and/or ORD before adding more to SFO. Interesting choice.

Still surprised at the lack of a EWR-ICN flight. UA has gone head-to-head with *A carriers all the time. There is a large Korean market, both business and VFR.

Anyway, UA should know more than I do, so I trust they have their reasons.

flyfresno

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 pm

DEL is certainly a nice add, but it’s strange that they will be competing with their own code-share partner. Also, 1am is certainly not the best time to arrive in Delhi: not only are there few connection options on AI without waiting overnight in the airport, but the subway isn’t running anymore and taxis substantially jack up their prices.

atsiang

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm

All these SFO flights will make the gate situation even worse. Just flew in from SYD to SFO at 7:30am and had to wait for a gate to clear up.

SurfandSnow

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm

The Bay Area's recent economic success is undisputed; however, I can't help but wonder if UA's recent moves at SFO (and LAX) are a result of a perceived AS weakness in primary Californian markets. I can't imagine all of these additions - further increasing UA's appeal to local FFers while providing substantial hub feed for existing services - will make it any easier for AS to develop/sustain a viable SFO hub operation.

SFO-MEL I've expected for quite some time. I should think O&D travelers on both ends of the route want to avoid a connection via LAX. For those connecting beyond, SFO offers far more options than LAX.

SFO-DEL similarly helps O&D travelers avoid an arduous connection (EWR being even worse than LAX). It also reinforces UA's unique presence in the India market!

SFO-YYZ is an interesting resumption. It wasn't all that long ago that UA cut this route, and SFO-YYJ ends in less than a month. I respect the fact that Victoria is hardly the business market or partner hub operation that Toronto is, but I still wonder why inferior (to AC) UA metal on this route is any more appealing now than it was before...

SFO-AMS is a logical step in growing UA's transatlantic offering at SFO. UA has been a surprisingly strong player at AMS for years in spite of KL's extremely close relationship with NW, then DL...

The increase of frequency to ICN and extension of SFO-AKL improve access to Star Alliance partner hubs and further solidify UA's leading transpacific operation relative to AA and DL.

The success of SFO-PPT is a wonderful surprise. The success of this route likely speaks to the strength of the local economy and leads me to believe that nonstop services to other premium leisure markets like Costa Rica and perhaps even the Caribbean could be added in due course.

xxcr

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Now here is my question, with all new these new routes being announced....where are the spare planes coming from?

I also fly SFO-ICN 5-6x times a year, and its nice to see a 2nd flight, when does the 2nd flight start?

EvanWSFO

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm

6+ pages of speculation and virtually none of the guesses were correct. What to go a.net!

rbavfan

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

jmscsc wrote:
Well, that was a dud of an announcement. A lot of hype, in my humble opinion.

Desperate for good press based on how much they hyped it.

Dominion301

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
6+ pages of speculation and virtually none of the guesses were correct. What to go a.net!

I got one! :P I predicted there'd be a new transborder route.

avi8 wrote:
https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/1072903033657397249

"In 2019, United will add seven nonstop international routes: daily Melbourne (Australia), daily New Delhi, twice daily Toronto, daily Amsterdam, second daily to Seoul, year-round Tahiti and Auckland"

** Duplicate post. My bad.

Wonder whether SFO-YYZ will complement or compete with AC's flights?

PVD757

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Surprised UA wasn’t already doing SFO - YYZ!

hoons90

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 pm

PVD757 wrote:
Surprised UA wasn’t already doing SFO - YYZ!

UA used to fly it until 2013. 1x daily on the 319.

intotheair

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
simpv wrote:

There is a lot of negativity towards every airline. I don’t think it’s more slanted to UA. When you announce the day before that you are making a historic announcement you open your self up for scrutiny. I’m in and PR and to me it looked just like a response to Delta getting a lot of press. Just like United new uniforms “leaked” the day before DL uniforms rolled out. That isn’t a crime though so I don’t fault United. Good route announcements for them.

UA did not intend to announce this yesterday. That was a media advisory that leaked out on here. And the official announcement today doesn't highlight the "historical" element the way it was whipped up on here.

Had it not leaked on here and had it stayed a complete surprise until now, the tone on here would be very different.

codc10

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 pm

jayunited wrote:
Now in order to make these flights work there will be some downguages and movement of widebody equipment around the fleet but lets not forget UA will have 9 78Js in the fleet by summer which has freed up some widebody equiptment. After this latest announcement I don't see UA leaving the 78Js on EWR-LAX/SFO routes for very long. I think by early or mid summer all those aircraft will be permanently assigned to TATL routes out of EWR.

Today's announcement actually fits neatly into the summer fleet plans. The new 789 flying starts on 29OCT (SFO-MEL 3x) and 05DEC (SFO-DEL daily, seasonal), so that doesn't impact 78Z allocation, which is pretty tight as-is. S19 SFO-AMS was already announced and planned for 78Z. S19 SFO-AKL (3x) with 77Q/U was already planned. SFO-PPT 3x with 78V was already planned. The only true "new" (unannounced) S19 flying is SFO-ICN #2, which will operate 4x weekly with 77U and should fit within the existing allocation, even with 77Q -> 77U mod lines open.

Accordingly, I see no reason to believe that the 78J will come off the current schedule of daily EWR-SFO-EWR and 13x weekly EWR-LAX-EWR.

For winter, both new routes start at the end of the S19 schedule and theoretically only require one airplane each. This can be enabled within the existing fleet by SFO-MUC (seasonal daily) ending, and SFO-KIX reverting from 789 to 788 for the winter (with 788 freed by DEN-LHR ending). By the time S20 rolls around, UA should have at least another 789 or two on property, allowing summer-seasonal flights to resume and maintaining enough frames to sustain year-round SFO-MEL and possibly increase frequency. SFO-DEL could very well go year-round, too.
Last edited by codc10 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbody

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Objectively nothing historic about any part of this announcement. It doesn't greatly reduce travel times to many of these markets and certainly isn't opening up entirely untapped route opportunities. Yawn.

Planeflyer

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Booya for sfo. Place is booming..... if you have a degree in computer science or related. Google and the like are paying the best grads over 125k per year w 60/70k signing bonuses.

simpv

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm

pbody wrote:
Objectively nothing historic about any part of this announcement. It doesn't greatly reduce travel times to many of these markets and certainly isn't opening up entirely untapped route opportunities. Yawn.

Again, the actual announcement makes no mention of "historic."
https://hub.united.com/united-announces ... 10816.html

FSDan

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm

FSDan wrote:
jayunited wrote:
As far as where the aircraft are coming from I think the 78J's on transcon fights will be short lived UA is going to need those 78J's at EWR to free up some 77E's which would be moved to SFO to take over some 789 routes.

UA has already announced what many consider to be an aggressive Polaris installation schedule, which this rapid growth of international traffic from SFO and the addition of IAD-TLV my only hope is that the schedule holds.

I really don't think UA has to scramble that much to fit these flights into the schedule. The two ULH routes don't start until after the busy summer season, and the previously unannounced additional SFO-ICN flight is on the one 772 subfleet that should actually have some slack this summer. I checked the seatmaps loaded on united.com and it is, as I expected, showing to be operated by a Polaris-equipped 772. By my reckoning the currently published schedule for that subfleet will require 11 frames, and there should be 14 complete by summer.

Actually, I need to revise that number down to 10 Polaris-equipped frames needed to operate the currently loaded summer schedule. So even less of a scramble for aircraft.

Frontier14

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Dang, no new intl for DEN, ooh well maybe we will get another r/t to SGF or GUC....... :thumbsdown:

Frontier 14

FSDan

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
Dang, no new intl for DEN, ooh well maybe we will get another r/t to SGF or GUC....... :thumbsdown:

Frontier 14

I guess you missed the recent DEN-FRA announcment?

tayser

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Will this be the first time two UA planes are on the ground in MEL at the same time (well, at least 3 times a week)? IIRC Both LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD flights, at least for a little while, used to both tag on to MEL approx 10 years ago? (Perhaps it was a small seasonal thing, I could be mistaken).

UA98 LAX-MEL arrives 9:25 am, UA60 SFO-MEL set to arrive 9:40am when it starts. Both planes set to depart within 15 min of each other from MEL as well.

Frontier14

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm

FSDan wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:

Frontier 14

I guess you missed the recent DEN-FRA announcment?

No, I was aware of that, but was hoping for something from this announcement........perhaps next time.

Frontier 14

FSDan

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

codc10 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Now in order to make these flights work there will be some downguages and movement of widebody equipment around the fleet but lets not forget UA will have 9 78Js in the fleet by summer which has freed up some widebody equiptment. After this latest announcement I don't see UA leaving the 78Js on EWR-LAX/SFO routes for very long. I think by early or mid summer all those aircraft will be permanently assigned to TATL routes out of EWR.

Today's announcement actually fits neatly into the summer fleet plans. The new 789 flying starts on 29OCT (SFO-MEL 3x) and 05DEC (SFO-DEL daily, seasonal), so that doesn't impact 78Z allocation, which is pretty tight as-is. S19 SFO-AMS was already announced and planned for 78Z. S19 SFO-AKL (3x) with 77Q/U was already planned. SFO-PPT 3x with 78V was already planned. The only true "new" (unannounced) S19 flying is SFO-ICN #2, which will operate 4x weekly with 77U and should fit within the existing allocation, even with 77Q -> 77U mod lines open.

Accordingly, I see no reason to believe that the 78J will come off the current schedule of daily EWR-SFO-EWR and 13x weekly EWR-LAX-EWR.

For winter, both new routes start at the end of the S19 schedule and theoretically only require one airplane each. This can be enabled within the existing fleet by SFO-MUC (seasonal daily) ending, and SFO-KIX reverting from 789 to 788 for the winter (with 788 freed by DEN-LHR ending). By the time S20 rolls around, UA should have at least another 789 or two on property, allowing summer-seasonal flights to resume and maintaining enough frames to sustain year-round SFO-MEL and possibly increase frequency. SFO-DEL could very well go year-round, too.

:checkmark:

I agree with everything you said, except SFO-DEL will require 2 frames to operate rather than 1. That still works out, though, because in addition to gaining a 789 from SFO-KIX reverting to the 788, there should be some efficiency gained from pairing SFO-DEL with SFO-AMS. In the summer schedule I believe there will be 2 789s overnighting at SFO each day, which could be reduced to 1 in the winter.

fry530

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:55 pm

UA's coverage of Australia is impressive. With this they'll have SFO/LAX/IAH-SYD and SFO/LAX-MEL. That's great for an airline that has no Star Alliance feed on one end.

While I will agree that this may have been a bit overhyped, it is still impressive none the less. UA has really stepped it up to quite a few international destinations, and these adds certainly help.

phxtristar

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm

According to RoutesOnline.com its.........
SFO to DEL
and lots more out of SFO.......

Freshside3

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Nothing "historical" or "groundbreaking" about this bunch of flights...…..not bad moves, but, for the most part, nothing to get excited about.

Now I can go back to taking my nap......

SonaSounds
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm

simpv wrote:
pbody wrote:

Again, the actual announcement makes no mention of "historic."
https://hub.united.com/united-announces ... 10816.html

I copied their media advisory word for word......don't shoot the messenger

Emperortim21

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Didn't we have a multi page thread about DL flying from DTW to some place in Florida a little while ago? That was talked about like it was the holy grail of flights. United does this, and it gets yawns???

United787

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Congrats to UA and SFO!

-I would have guessed that UA already flew SFO-MEL, glad they will be now. UA is a power house to Australia, especially when not a single Australian would ever be caught dead flying them (according to A-Netters).

-I also would have guessed that UA already flew SFO-YYZ. But with a shortage of narrowbodies and AC being on the route, understandable. Now they need LAX-YYZ.

-Excited that PPT and AKL have been extended to year round. I expected that both of those routes, especially PPT, would generate some of their own traffic. This is proof that it is happening. I have a 1K friend who is in PPT now, in big part due to UA flying it.

-I really am surprised that UA added a second SFO-ICN before ORD-ICN. I think ORD is overdue. I wouldn't fly OZ after that crash, I don't care how great the service is. UA has a history of adding expanding it's volume to a destination by opening a route from another hub before adding a 2nd daily. For such an important city like ICN, especially as a Star Alliance hub, you would think ORD or even EWR, IAH or IAD would get ICN. ORD is geographically situated to capture the entire eastern half of the US for ICN. Wondering what else might be going on there? I am guessing that UA would rather overfly ICN to China themselves or connect on NH (their JV partner) to Japan, China and the rest of Asia before letting OZ take any pax. Korean domestic destinations are probably the only thing OZ can offer than NH can't or isn't served by other * partners...

-Amazing that UA can open up a 3rd route from a 2nd hub to India, despite the "trash yields" and the competition, especially from the EU, ME3, TK and China. Ignoring that AI already flies the route, I think they will do well on this route when you consider the non-stop saves you 5 hours over TK, EK or Europe and 6-7 hours+ over the best China flights.

-AMS may be a bit of a yawn but when you consider it is a major SkyTeam hub and UA already flies to AMS from IAH, ORD, EWR & IAD, I think it is impressive. You won't see AA fly from that many hubs to a competing alliance hub.

Hopefully, once the terminal expansion is completed, ORD can get a big announcement. Until then, I don't see any new UA routes (no extra capacity) and no 77W or 787 (wingspans too big for T1 gates). :(

jetwet1

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Nothing really overwhelming by this announcement
, I have flown a couple of transcons in Polaris and was pleased with it, I was wondering if they would start to roll it out to more markets.

Planeflyer wrote:
Google and the like are paying the best grads over 125k per year w 60/70k signing bonuses.

To be fair, $125k in the Bay area is like $30k in the real world, my wife works for a Bay company, the pay rates are insane.

United787

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:40 pm

phxtristar wrote:
According to RoutesOnline.com its.........
SFO to DEL
and lots more out of SFO.......

Welcome to the party, grab a drink, everyone is already angry drunk ;)

VC10er

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm

How long do you think it might be before UA announces even more NEW international (and domestic)?
If done too often they risk a yawn. Seems like only weeks ago Naples Italy (and was it Prague?) from EWR was announced.
Seems like more could come between the 14 78J’s a 100 737MAX’s (w lie flats), 50 (?) 737MAX9 and a handful of used ac, etc?

LJ

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm

xxcr wrote:
San Francisco (SFO) – Amsterdam (AMS) — daily

The big question is where did they get the slot at AMS for this flight? Until now the flught was "subject to government approval" due to the slot issue at AMS.

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Next Northern Winter United is going to have approximately 3000 more weekly seats in the Australia-USA market than Delta and Virgin Australia combined. That is incredible, United are only well out in front as the #2 carrier in that market.

SonaSounds
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Doing some quick math, United is adding over 9,200 weekly international seats to SFO. On average United does around 51,000 weekly international seats out of SFO. This is a nearly 20% increase in international seats in 2019. That's pretty significant for their SFO hub.

I think we all thought this announcement was going to be spread across multiple hubs hence the slight let down.

adamblang

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Nothing really overwhelming by this announcement, I have flown a couple of transcons in Polaris and was pleased with it, I was wondering if they would start to roll it out to more markets.

Polaris is only available on international routes – no domestic transcons.

Irehdna

Re: UA announces SFO-DEL/MEL/YYZ; Expands AKL/AMS/PPT/ICN.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Was personally expecting ORD-TLV/BOM on 77E, SFO-BLR on 789, and EWR-ICN on 77E. How none of these routes are flown or planned, I don't know.

UA and AI competing directly on a route would be interesting. "Historic" and SFO (after the speech started) wanted me to think SFO-BLR nonstop would finally commence.
Last edited by Irehdna on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Detroit313

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Impressive for United.

Delta needs to step up its game. Embarrassing that they don't fly to Hong Kong and New Zealand AT ALL while United flies to so many places.

Hong Kong is the the world's top financial and business center along with New York and London and Delta has zero presence there.
Last edited by Detroit313 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N649DL

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
simpv wrote:

UAL made another "bot" type of P.R. move which almost came off as a major international expansion of sorts. However the company needed a new P.R. team years ago and there isn't enough turnover in that department apparently. Re-instating SFO-YYZ is the only "historic" part of the announcement. Bad choice of words, IMHO.

Irehdna wrote:
Was personally expecting ORD-TLV/BOM on 77E, SFO-BLR on 789, and EWR-ICN on 77E. How none of these routes are flown or planned, I don't know.

UA and AI competing directly on a route would be interesting. "Historic" and SFO (after the speech started) wanted me to think SFO-BLR nonstop would finally commence.

Perhaps if you're living under a rock (no offense). I read back today through older threads today and people have been "insisting" on SFO-BLR and EWR-ICN for years but it's just not happening. ORD to India (I think DEL) was tried and failed by AA so I doubt UA would ever try it or distract the yields on the EWR-BOM route.

xxcr

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Irehdna wrote:

UA and AI competing directly on a route would be interesting. To be fair UA EWR-DEL/BOM competes indirectly with AI JFK-DEL/BOM, but adding UA on 9x AI may be too much IMO.

"Historic" and SFO (after the speech started) wanted me to think SFO-BLR nonstop would finally commence.

I'm sure with UA and AI being part of the same alliance, have more than 1 airline serving the same route is better for business. It would also allow more passengers to connect through each hub.

Irehdna

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

As for SFO-DEL, I think the following schedule would have worked a lot more nicely:

UA105 SFO 0130 - 0600+1 DEL 789 D
UA106 DEL 1100 - 1300 SFO 789 D

The fact of the matter is that this flight will primarily be targeted for those ending/starting at DEL. Most who will transfer at DEL will take AI. Both SFO departure and arrival will allow for a lot of connections still under this plan.

xxcr

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Impressive for United.

Delta needs to step up its game. Embarrassing that they don't fly to Hong Kong and New Zealand AT ALL while United flies to so many places.

Hong Kong is the the world's top financial and business center along with New York and London and Delta has zero presence there.

Im sure DL looked at this over and over and saw that they could make more money sending their planes elsewhere. They also can fly passengers with their JV with KL. It is a shame that they cant make HK work. DL is working hard to improve their passenger experience, im sure once they finish that they'll go back and see what they missed.

jetmatt777

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 pm

N649DL wrote:

UAL made another "bot" type of P.R. move which almost came off as a major international expansion of sorts. However the company needed a new P.R. team years ago and there isn't enough turnover in that department apparently. Re-instating SFO-YYZ is the only "historic" part of the announcement. Bad choice of words, IMHO.

How is it a poor choice of words? Historic can have two meanings: of “future” significance, or a previous event.

How often do we see airlines announce a large scale international long haul route expansion? Not very often. While it may not be earth-shattering, it is a fairly historical announcement for United and San Francisco. Delta’s announcement of 4 domestic cities from BOS seems to fit the definition of historic to Delta fangirls, but a significant long haul expansion by United is a snooze fest. Got it.

Max Q

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:59 pm

I think what’s historic and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned is the SFO-DEL flight allows UA to rightfully claim RTW service

A United passenger in Delhi can now ‘turn left’ and fly non stop to EWR or ‘turn right’ and fly non stop to SFO.

That is historic

compensateme

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 pm

rbavfan wrote:
jmscsc wrote:
Well, that was a dud of an announcement. A lot of hype, in my humble opinion.

Desperate for good press based on how much they hyped it.

No, a.netters - not UA - hyped this announcement, desperate to let their imaginations run wild.

SonaSounds
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Max Q wrote:
I think what’s historic and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned is the SFO-DEL flight allows UA to rightfully claim RTW service

A United passenger in Delhi can now ‘turn left’ and fly non stop to EWR or ‘turn right’ and fly non stop to SFO.

That is historic

Air India's SFO-DEL flight literally flies around the world (depending on the winds) flying over the Pacific ocean to SFO and then over the Atlantic on the way back to DEL. Wonder if UA will do the same.

747megatop

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm

BigGSFO wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281981/united-further-expands-san-francisco-international-service-in-2019/

SFO-DEL, SFO-MEL and additional frequencies to AKL, YYZ, ICN, etc.

Why are 2 *A carrliers flying this route with certain days of the week seeing 3 daily flights? Unless AI is going to scale back OR perhaps move completely out of SFO to serve LAX-DEL non stop?

N649DL

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

How is it a poor choice of words? Historic can have two meanings: of “future” significance, or a previous event.

How often do we see airlines announce a large scale international long haul route expansion? Not very often. While it may not be earth-shattering, it is a fairly historical announcement for United and San Francisco. Delta’s announcement of 4 domestic cities from BOS seems to fit the definition of historic to Delta fangirls, but a significant long haul expansion by United is a snooze fest. Got it.

Vague messaging. I definitely like the "teaser" messaging they did for DEN when they announced new routes. If they said SFO specifically it would've been preferred.

That other thread was definitely not a "Fangirl" thread for Delta either. The tone was more hysteric about how B6 is failing at BOS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos