N328KF
Topic Author

Unknown Dallas-area airport (Edit: It's NAS Dallas)

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:31 am

I was flying into DFW this past week, and saw this airport on the ground. I have been unable to precisely locate it, but I noticed that many cars are parked on one of the runways. I know that Volkswagen has been doing that at some airports.

Any idea which this is?

Last edited by N328KF on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

EChid

Re: Unknown Dallas-area airport

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 am

It's a National Guard Airbase, by the name of Hensley Field by the looks of it: https://goo.gl/maps/n6LWTsSfySw
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

alasizon

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:36 am

That is the old NAS Dallas (Grand Prairie Armed Forces Reserve Complex now) aka Hensley Field. It was decommissioned in the late 90s/early 00s.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

EChid

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:38 am

Backstory: The cars that you saw are mostly old police cars, stored there by the city. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... sley-field
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

ish2dachoppa

Re: Unknown Dallas-area airport (Edit: It's NAS Dallas)

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 am

I flew out of there from 1996-2007 when I was working full time with the reserve CH-47 unit. There were still F-14s, F-18, C-130s, UH-60s, CH-47s, and DC-9s flying out of the base back then. There were times a lot of brand new vehicles destined for municipalities around the metroplex were in open storage on various ramps. There was also a police driving school there, we would always hear the sirens on the other side of the base. Also, the GM plant in Arlington was also storing vehicles there back in the mid 00's on the ramp next to the Vought-Northrop-Grumman factory side of the base.

EChid

Re: Unknown Dallas-area airport (Edit: It's NAS Dallas)

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:30 am

Very cool backstory, thanks ish2dachoppa!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos