XT6Wagon

Re: Southwest 737 slides off runway at BUR

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm

The amazing thing is that this doesn't happen more often. Huge fleet making 4+ flights a day mean that any weakness in the organization, its people, or its equipment will be found.

More over, its clear the industry does learn as the plane was stopped short of the road.

WayexTDI

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 pm

XT6Wagon wrote:
The amazing thing is that this doesn't happen more often. Huge fleet making 4+ flights a day mean that any weakness in the organization, its people, or its equipment will be found.

Are you insinuating WN has a weak organization, weak people or weak equipment???

WN is one of the airlines with the lowest accident rate; not really an indication of weak airline/people/equipment...

jetmatt777

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:46 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
XT6Wagon wrote:

Are you insinuating WN has a weak organization, weak people or weak equipment???

WN is one of the airlines with the lowest accident rate; not really an indication of weak airline/people/equipment...

Very easy to read it the opposite way, which is what I presume he meant. With thousands of operations a day and high fleet utilization these events are still astronomically rare. It’s true with such a large operation any weak link will be exposed very quick, which is a testament to how safe the airline is: WN doesn’t have a bad record at all.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Spacepope

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

starrion wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
While I understand that the airport has strict rules on approach for safety and noise limits, like the previous crash there it is likely this plane came in too high and fast and compounded by the wet conditions. As this was built in 1999 this is for sure going to scrap after the investigation. WN is having a bad year after so many good ones.

Written off? Until they pull it out, we don't even know if there is serious damage. SW repaired the last one, and it suffered worse damage.

Which last one? They wrote off 3 in landing accidents.

In any case I think this one will be returned to service after a change of engines (they ate a lot of EMALS debris), gear and of course the newly poop-stained pilots seats.
The last of the famous international playboys

XT6Wagon

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
XT6Wagon wrote:

Very easy to read it the opposite way, which is what I presume he meant. With thousands of operations a day and high fleet utilization these events are still astronomically rare. It’s true with such a large operation any weak link will be exposed very quick, which is a testament to how safe the airline is: WN doesn’t have a bad record at all.

This, WN is large enough that they can't hide problems with mere good luck. The "one in a million" issue would be relatively routine for them.

September11

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Previous Southwest incident at Burbank

Fortunately, significant less damage this time, thanks to EMAS
Airliners.net of the Future

starrion

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Spacepope wrote:
starrion wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
While I understand that the airport has strict rules on approach for safety and noise limits, like the previous crash there it is likely this plane came in too high and fast and compounded by the wet conditions. As this was built in 1999 this is for sure going to scrap after the investigation. WN is having a bad year after so many good ones.

Written off? Until they pull it out, we don't even know if there is serious damage. SW repaired the last one, and it suffered worse damage.

In any case I think this one will be returned to service after a change of engines (they ate a lot of EMALS debris), gear and of course the newly poop-stained pilots seats.

The previous Burbank overrun. Although to be fair, I think they were trying to preserve their 'no hull loss' status at the time.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

scbriml

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
So the slights hurled at them and the comment that 737’s are unforgiving aren’t enough for you?

I was simply observing the chalk and cheese differences in the attitudes of posters in similar overrun threads when non-US airlines are involved. * shrug *
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Chemist

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
scbriml wrote:
This thread would be reading very differently if this was Lion in Indonesia. :scratchchin:

So the slights hurled at them and the comment that 737’s are unforgiving aren’t enough for you?

Given that WN has at least an order of magnitude (perhaps 2) more flights annually than Lion Air, I think the Lion Air criticisms are warranted given the respective records of the two airlines.

ak

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
Was the over run during takeoff, landing or taxi? They’re all done at the same speed at that outfit. :o

As stated several times in this post and linked news article... it was landing. Geesh.

And there he is! Lighten up there forum patrol. GEESH!
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

tkoenig95

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 pm

LA pilots don't know how to fly in the rain either? LOL all jokes aside glad the EMAS was there to do its job.

WayexTDI

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 pm

XT6Wagon wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

This, WN is large enough that they can't hide problems with mere good luck. The "one in a million" issue would be relatively routine for them.

OK, it didn't read like that to me.

Spacepope

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm

starrion wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
starrion wrote:

The previous Burbank overrun. Although to be fair, I think they were trying to preserve their 'no hull loss' status at the time.

N668SW, the previous Burbank overrun, was written off in that accident.

They repaired the MDW overrun, wrote off the LGA 73G nosewheel landing incident aircraft, and one more 733 that slid off the runway in an icestorm a few years ago.
The last of the famous international playboys

mm320cap

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:12 pm

mcdu wrote:
The 737 is unforgiving on short runways. Add wet and a potentially unstabalaized approach and it’s the recipe for an overrun.

The 737-800/900 are. The 700 is very capable of short runway ops.

alasizon

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Spacepope wrote:

The determining factor will likely be whether or not the engines and/or gear kicked up any debris into the belly or wing of the plane that caused more than minor skin abrasions/dents. Once you factor in a full gear overhaul, two new engines, new paint, minor belly & wing repair; any large additional costs are probably going to push it into the W/O category. Had it been a 10-12 year old 73G; I think there would be no question as to whether or not it would be repaired.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Bradin

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Latest Southwest Statement:

https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestAir/p ... 7070708949

Updated Statement on Flight 278:

Our Employees are in the process of getting the 112 Customers from Flight 278 (Oakland to Burbank) their luggage and belongings. Nearly all the passengers had Burbank as their final destination, and we’re working with the few remaining Customers to get them on connecting flights to their final destinations. We also are refunding the cost of Customers’ roundtrip airfare as well as including an additional gesture of goodwill. Southwest operations to/from Burbank are anticipated to return to a normal schedule later this afternoon. We encourage Customers who are traveling today to/from Burbank to check their flight status at Southwest.com.

william

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 pm

alasizon wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

The determining factor will likely be whether or not the engines and/or gear kicked up any debris into the belly or wing of the plane that caused more than minor skin abrasions/dents. Once you factor in a full gear overhaul, two new engines, new paint, minor belly & wing repair; any large additional costs are probably going to push it into the W/O category. Had it been a 10-12 year old 73G; I think there would be no question as to whether or not it would be repaired.

Do the majors self insure their aircraft? Can't imagine State Farm having an aviation division. :D

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm

william wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Do the majors self insure their aircraft? Can't imagine State Farm having an aviation division. :D

I don't know what U.S. air carriers do to insure assets, but about 20 years ago Ford Motor Company had a U.S. liability policy with a $7 million deductible. It's not like WN needs zero-deductible plus glass coverage.

Bradin

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm

If anyone's interested in the LiveATC recording, it will be at 17:00Z. The gasps and "oh no's" begin roughly at the 2:00 minute mark.

https://www.liveatc.net/archive.php

highflier92660

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 pm

From the photos you can discern that the spoilers and reversers are stowed. Additionally on flightaware the last speed readout was 152 knots which was probably Vref + (a bunch). It will be interesting what the CVR and VDR show.

crj900lr

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I doubt the underside sustained that much damage. The engines are barley touching the EMAS, possibly some gear damage but i would be surprised if it was written off and scrapped.

Chemist

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Per the liveatc recording, wind was 270 @10, or almost a 10kt tailwind on a <6000' runway. With heavy precip reported.
Last edited by Chemist on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratclub

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

mcdu wrote:
The 737 is unforgiving on short runways. Add wet and a potentially unstabalaized approach and it’s the recipe for an overrun.

Really? Sometimes "stuff" just happens. Go back to your playpen.
Last edited by stratclub on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurfandSnow

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 pm

mm320cap wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Does WN even operate the 738 at BUR? I know AS and UA do; AA's upcoming DFW-BUR service will be flown by the type as well.

As any aerial picture of BUR will show, there is virtually no room for error at this piston era airport. Existing terminal facilities are dangerously close to active runways (this is why the plane veered left rather than right), though a replacement terminal with more appropriate setback is finally in the works. Major roads run alongside the perimeter fence at the end of each runway. If you come up short or overrun the runway beyond those roads, you're in the midst of densely populated residential areas, busy retail districts or other commercial development.

I'm shocked that after Southwest 1455 (the infamous picture of the WN 737 next to the Chevron gas station sign) most arrivals continue to use BUR's shorter Runway 8. Runway 15/33 has an extra thousand feet of pavement to work with. Is terrain that much of an issue for approaching aircraft, or is the addition of ILS prohibitively expensive, or have NIMBY voters somehow prevented a shift of (most) landings to the longer runway?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Chemist

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Does WN even operate the 738 at BUR? I know AS and UA do; AA's upcoming DFW-BUR service will be flown by the type as well.

As any aerial picture of BUR will show, there is virtually no room for error at this piston era airport. Existing terminal facilities are dangerously close to active runways (this is why the plane veered left rather than right), though a replacement terminal with more appropriate setback is finally in the works. Major roads run alongside the perimeter fence at the end of each runway. If you come up short or overrun the runway beyond those roads, you're in the midst of densely populated residential areas, busy retail districts or other commercial development.

I'm shocked that after Southwest 1455 (the infamous picture of the WN 737 next to the Chevron gas station sign) most arrivals continue to use BUR's shorter Runway 8. Runway 15/33 has an extra thousand feet of pavement to work with. Is terrain that much of an issue for approaching aircraft, or is the addition of ILS prohibitively expensive, or have NIMBY voters somehow prevented a shift of (most) landings to the longer runway?

I suspect surrounding terrain and perhaps LAX traffic patterns to the south preclude ILS installation on 15/33.

CallmeJB

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

Looks to me like there's no room adjacent to 15/33 touchdown zones for a glideslope antenna installation. Not to mention that there's nowhere to put approach lights.

WN732

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
mcdu wrote:

The terrain makes ILS for 15/33 impossible. Same reason why 27 only has Localizer at SAN

departedflights

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

Yes. Tomorrow's schedule shows four Southwest -800s departing Burbank. One each to Phoenix, Dallas, Denver and Chicago.

freakyrat

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Chemist wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
scbriml wrote:
This thread would be reading very differently if this was Lion in Indonesia. :scratchchin:

Given that WN has at least an order of magnitude (perhaps 2) more flights annually than Lion Air, I think the Lion Air criticisms are warranted given the respective records of the two airlines.

Plus it appears that Lion Air didn't order the optional AOA indicator software or visual alarms on the AOA sensors that Southwest did. Southwest has theirs on the HUD and are also making modifications to put it on the PFD's. To Lion Air's credit they are now going to require their MAX pilots to have extra SIM training relating to the system.
Last edited by freakyrat on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freakyrat

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 pm

crj900lr wrote:
I doubt the underside sustained that much damage. The engines are barley touching the EMAS, possibly some gear damage but i would be surprised if it was written off and scrapped.

EMAS is designed to limit any damage to the aircraft.

mcdu

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 pm

stratclub wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Really? Sometimes "stuff" just happens. Go back to your playpen.

So will that be your guess on the NTSB report? “Stuff just happens”.

If they had 150+ kts in a -700 with a 10kt tailwind to a wet runway I would almost guess they were negative in the landing distance required versus distance available.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
It's been a *very* rainy morning here in LA. Landings at BUR almost always occur on 5,802 ft (1,768 m) Runway 8 since that is the only runway with ILS and clear terrain for approach. This will always be challenging on wet days like today (and March 5th, 2000) but runway extension is out of the question thanks to the NIMBY voters of Burbank. Looks like EMAS is the best possible solution given these operational constraints. Are commercial ops banned at nearby VNY (Van Nuys Airport), where a nice 8,001 ft (2,439 m) runway is available?

In my 50+ years in Southern California, no one has ever operated out of VNY commercially. It is the LA equivalent of Teterboro airport - general & private aviation only.

Let's also remember that while runway length is important, it's not the only factor involved in landing. SNA, for example, has only 5,280 feet of runway available, yet 737's (and larger) operate from here, flying to and from New York and Hawai'i. San Diego's displaced threshold for landing allows only +/- 7200 feet, which is more than enough for a 747-400, 777-300, and A340-600 (all of which landed here last Thursday) in the rain.

I have my guesses and speculation about what might have caused this accident and what happened during, but until the final report is out, I'll choose to focus on the fact that no one was injured (or worse!), and the plane might be salvageable.

ClipperMonsoon

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
So overruns do not just happen in Indonesia.

Glad to see no one was injured, hey at least the nose gear tires didn't come off, or was tilted 90 degrees, oh wait that's a different.....
Short runway, tailwind, and wet conditions are not a good recipe, this is basic airmanship I was taught many years ago.
Last edited by ClipperMonsoon on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phllax

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
mcdu wrote:

They operate up to 6 800's per day at times, and if the impending gate shuffle happens, they will get A5-8 and have more.

As for runway 15/33, I asked a pilot on my last flight in why they don't use 15 for arrivals so they have an extra +/- 1,500 feet of concrete to play with and he responded that due to a high historical number of unstable approaches to 15, company policy prohibits use of landings on 15 during the day unless winds dictate it and conditions are clear due to terrain cropping up quickly on the crosswind leg, and apparently it's not allowed at all at night.

n471wn

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 pm

I show 4 hull losses of SWA—not all accidents. Aircraft were w/o at Baltimore, Nashville, New York and the first one at Burbank.

ikramerica

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm

A massive amount of rain was coming down at 10:30am today. The hardest rain I’ve seen this year. And this was after already a day of pretty good rain storms. Our lawn completely flooded, as did a couple of vent wells in the yard so water spilled over into the crawl space. And we have gutters, so that was only excess water with no place to go.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

nine4nine

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Great job by the crew and also by the EMAS barrier of keeping this from blowing thru the blast fence and onto Hollywood Way like the last incident.

I believe this is the second plane to have hit the barrier, the first being a Gulfstream G4 with then NY Yankees player Alex Rodriguez on board.

From the photos it looks as if the gear is sheared but everything is pretty much intact and buried under the soft EMAS composite material that is designed to particulate and crumble and absorb the forward motion of a plane. I doubt there is any actual significant damage that would merit a write off in this case.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

SurfandSnow

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 pm

phllax wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
mm320cap wrote:

They operate up to 6 800's per day at times, and if the impending gate shuffle happens, they will get A5-8 and have more.

As for runway 15/33, I asked a pilot on my last flight in why they don't use 15 for arrivals so they have an extra +/- 1,500 feet of concrete to play with and he responded that due to a high historical number of unstable approaches to 15, company policy prohibits use of landings on 15 during the day unless winds dictate it and conditions are clear due to terrain cropping up quickly on the crosswind leg, and apparently it's not allowed at all at night.

Interesting! I figured there had to be a good reason such as this. Thanks for the info. Then again, depending on carrier those Runway 8 landings make for some incredibly short taxi times upon arrival. I've had many a flight turn directly off the active and pull into an empty Terminal A gate within seconds. At LAX, it can easily take a half hour or more between landing and arriving at your gate...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

aklrno

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Growing up in LA and learning to drive there I was warned about slick roads on the first rain of the season. Unlike many other place where rain happens all year intermittently, LA can go 6 months without a drop. Oil and rubber build up on the pavement and doesn't get washed away. First rain and all the roads turn into skidpads. Does the same thing happen to runways?

Armodeen

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Someone should send the pics to EK and ask which they prefer.

kiowa

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:18 pm

starrion wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

The last one at Burbank or do you mean at Midway?

dangle

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:18 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Actually looks like they steered left into as they were concerned about going deep into EMAS or going into the street again.

They may not have actually steered left; airplane could simply have started veering left due to loss of traction.

electro3k wrote:
Looking at the photos... it ended up around here:

Interesting thing is, unlike most EMAS installations I've seen, the EMAS there is actually significantly extended to the left of the runway. That may have been a lucky break...

Certainly not trying to judge or claim to know something I can't know, but when I was educating myself about EMAS, I came across this:

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... mas-phobia

(suggesting that some pilots are intentionally avoiding EMAS, perhaps in an attempt to spare themselves the attention that ending in the EMAS entails)

deebee278

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 pm

So EMAS works. I'm glad it was there. BTW, for the younger posters, there used to be a gas station at the far end of RW08 that was taken out by a corporate jet and almost by Southwest at different occasions. Looking at Google Earth, I see there is just a parking lot there now. It also reminds me of an AA 727 crash in '76 at St Thomas, VI, very short runway for that aircraft type.

ikramerica

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 pm

aklrno wrote:
Growing up in LA and learning to drive there I was warned about slick roads on the first rain of the season. Unlike many other place where rain happens all year intermittently, LA can go 6 months without a drop. Oil and rubber build up on the pavement and doesn't get washed away. First rain and all the roads turn into skidpads. Does the same thing happen to runways?

This was not the first rain of the season. This is the third week in a row where we have had a full day of heavy rains. All residual oils have washed off at this point.

Again, at the time of the incident a very intense cell was passing over. The rain was very heavy and intensity picked up to a torrent at times, and the wind was pushing it at an angle from the southwest. From 9:30 to about 10:45 there was just more rain than drainage systems could handle. There was spot flooding all around the LA area. Just went to my preferred gas station and their pumps are disabled due to water infiltration into the tanks.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Bradin wrote:
If anyone's interested in the LiveATC recording, it will be at 17:00Z. The gasps and "oh no's" begin roughly at the 2:00 minute mark.

https://www.liveatc.net/archive.php

This link doesn't take you directly to the recording.

Does anyone have a link to the actual recording? I'd like to listen to it.
Whatever

Ufsatp

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 pm

scbriml wrote:

It also would be reading different if it was Allegiant in America. Airline reputation sometime comes into play on things like this. Nice try though.

rbavfan

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 pm

I guess with the Chevron there they could not stop in for gas this time.

n471wn

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:01 am

[threeid][/threeid]
kiowa wrote:
starrion wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

The last one at Burbank or do you mean at Midway?

The Midway aircraft was repaired and flies today as N286SA

n471wn

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 am

Opps meant N286WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos