klakzky123

Re: WOW AIR nonstop KEF-LAX with A 321 today

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:49 pm

JakubH wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
JakubH wrote:
Still cannot fathom why WOW would not rebook on KLM or Delta to AMS directly that day.

Because that last minute one way ticket would have been much more expensive than a few hotel nights in Iceland? Did your friend check the prices for one way travel from Los Angeles to Europe himself that day?

Yes. A direct one-way on KLM or Delta was around $1100. With the compensation included, it would have been in WOW's interest to rebook (but they said they did not have the technical ability anyways, so I guess that's where the problem is).

WOW Air actually uses Radixx as their PSS which I believe is the primary issue. Radixx is ticketless and if you don't issue tickets, you can't rebook a passenger onto another airline (since that would involve issuing a ticket). So there is literally a technical inability to rebook a passenger onto another airline.

Now I have seen Spirit (who also is on a ticketless reservation system) manually purchase tickets for passengers and hand out the PNR for the new booking (and telling the passenger to go check in and drop off bags with the other airline. But if you don't have agents available to retrieve passenger details (from your reservation system) and then manually use those to book a flight, then that solution isn't realistic.

MartijnNL

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
One would think that when a passenger can book a ticket himself, an airline can also do it. What is the difference between rebooking and buying a ticket?

debonair wrote:
Are you serious?!
AFAIK WOW is not having any interline agreement with other carriers in case of rebooking.

That sounds logical. But WOW told the passenger they were technically unable to rebook passengers. That can't be true. If a passenger can buy a ticket, so can WOW.

Edit: I see now what is meant with the technical inability. Thanks, klakzky123!

debonair wrote:
So WOW needs to book and pay like a normal passenger would do - difficult with an airline which is virtually bankrupt...

Unless indeed the airline doesn't have enough money to pay for the ticket. On this I fully agree with you!

Victorville

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm

I wonder if they're preclearing at YEG. I would assume not because of staffing, and because there would be no good solution for people who were denied entry.

CarlosSi

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 pm

I heard Xiamen was retiring some 757s ;) @Wow. Ditch the bus, fly nonstop.

But I know they won’t and will just work with the stop on a ceo. Makes more economic sense.

workhorse

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
I heard Xiamen was retiring some 757s ;) @Wow. Ditch the bus, fly nonstop.

But I know they won’t and will just work with the stop on a ceo. Makes more economic sense.

I think KEF-LAX is out of range even for a 757. You need at least a 767 or a 330 to do that.

Tucker1

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 am

OK....SMH

workhorse

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:50 am

Tucker1 wrote:
OK....SMH

Sapmanga, Papua New Guinea? Why? :scratchchin: :confused:

Runway28L

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:00 am

Imagine being on a 208-seat A321 for 8+ hours, in addition to a fuel stop... :crazy:
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

prebennorholm

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 am

debonair wrote:
According to the ruling, an airline must rebook passengers under EU261 on the next available flight; no matter what airline/alliance etc.! If not, passengers can arrange their own travel home and the airline has to refund all costs that occurred doing so. The chances are pretty high, that other countries courts will follow this ruling in similar cases.

I have heard that WOW doesn't pay compensations, neither do they interline when things go pear shaped.

You may sue them in court. But I would never do that. When you win in court in two-three years time, then where will WOW be? Ask an Icelandic law firm to take your case, and you will probably hear the loudest laugh you have ever heard.

It's okay to gamble, but don't whine when you lose. Just remember to bring with you a not too worn credit card when flying on WOW or similar airlines.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

a350lover

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am

Runway28L wrote:
Imagine being on a 208-seat A321 for 8+ hours, in addition to a fuel stop... :crazy:

For the cabin crew on board, the fact that the plane has no crew rest is limitation number one of this new long-haul-narrow-body venture. Besides that, this plane has just 3 lavatories, which after 8 hours in the air, with a dense cabin configuration of up to 208 people using them.... I guess they won't look too nice.

Narrow-body ultra-long-haul flights (for the type) has some limitations, and the on board experience is sort of poor for passengers. Quite terrible for FA.

Said that, this is not a particular issue of the A321 with no range for a KEF-LAX. I assume the "comfort" on board the LR is similar.

workhorse

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:25 am

a350lover wrote:
For the cabin crew on board, the fact that the plane has no crew rest is limitation number one of this new long-haul-narrow-body venture. Besides that, this plane has just 3 lavatories, which after 8 hours in the air, with a dense cabin configuration of up to 208 people using them.... I guess they won't look too nice.

Narrow-body ultra-long-haul flights (for the type) has some limitations, and the on board experience is sort of poor for passengers. Quite terrible for FA.

Said that, this is not a particular issue of the A321 with no range for a KEF-LAX. I assume the "comfort" on board the LR is similar.

Yeah, but on the other hand, people have been flying LAX-LHR and LAX-CDG for years on the 707, which is nothing more than a 737 with 4 engines. :)

a350lover

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 pm

workhorse wrote:

Yeah, but on the other hand, people have been flying LAX-LHR and LAX-CDG for years on the 707, which is nothing more than a 737 with 4 engines. :)

Well... yes. Life was kinda different back then. Don't you think? People wouldn't turn at flight attendants to ask them whether there was onboard-wifi.

Tristarsteve

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:47 pm

aerolimani wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:
workhorse wrote:
All right, both are on the ground in YEG. Parked next to each other, I guess. ;)

Must look weird to pax and locals. Hey, Wow Air has opened a new hub! :rotfl:

...Joking but, seriously, they could try to sell tickets on KEF-YEG-KEF segment. Make lemonade out of lemons.

Now that would make things complicated and add A LOT of cost.

Indeed. Not to mention, inconvenience. Canada is generally an inconvenient country for transiting. Unless I'm mistaken, if you are going to open the plane doors, everyone would have to deplane, and go through Canadian immigration. Then, to depart for LAX, you would have to go through US preclearance. The return journey wouldn't be much better either.

Is this something new?.
I was on a BA B744 four years ago and we diverted into Edmonton for a medical case. We all stayed on board while they refuelled and took off an hour later.

workhorse

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:20 pm

a350lover wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Well... yes. Life was kinda different back then. Don't you think? People wouldn't turn at flight attendants to ask them whether there was onboard-wifi.

But!... There was a smoking area! :mrgreen:

Back to topic: it looks like the 330 will be back on KEF-LAX starting December, 19 (at least that's what WOW's booking engine thinks).

longhauler

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
Is this something new?.
I was on a BA B744 four years ago and we diverted into Edmonton for a medical case. We all stayed on board while they refuelled and took off an hour later.

I think he is referring to a scheduled stop at YEG with local traffic flying KEF-YEG as well as KEF-LAX traffic. Even then, if the aircraft is kept in bond at YEG both directions, then through traffic should be able to stay on board. (It has been done in the past). In this example, the only reason the through passengers would have to deplane is if there were local YEG-LAX traffic and the aircraft was US pre-cleared out of YEG.

As you note, diversions (medical, weather, mechanical that can be fixed, etc), the passengers are usually kept on board and one pilot is allowed to deplane for operational reasons. This is the same in the United States as well.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Flanker7

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:35 am

workhorse wrote:
a350lover wrote:

Could well be but in those days the seatpitch was better and seats more comfortable. I'll take the old 707 rather then the wow bus any day.
Flying blue only if possible

workhorse

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Could well be but in those days the seatpitch was better and seats more comfortable. I'll take the old 707 rather then the wow bus any day.

Better pitch - definitely. More comfortable seats - not so sure. Look at the pictures of 707 cabins from the old times, they didn't even have a proper headrest!

Polot

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 pm

workhorse wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Better pitch - definitely. More comfortable seats - not so sure. Look at the pictures of 707 cabins from the old times, they didn't even have a proper headrest!

I was thinking the opposite really. Technically the seats had bigger pitch yes, but the seats were also much thicker. Great for seat comfort (extra padding is always nice), but makes legroom much closer to modern day pitch (although maybe not ULCC pitch) than most people realize.

Flanker7

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:46 pm

workhorse wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Flown the old jets and compared to today's seat I found them way more comfortable.
Flying blue only if possible

BML87

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:28 pm

workhorse wrote:
Looks like TF-CAT (doing KEF-LAX) and TF-DTR (LAX-KEF) are going to meet in YEG. Both are descending right now.

Someone in Edmonton with a camera?

Jasper Patterson on Facebook

workhorse

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:50 pm

BML87 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Looks like TF-CAT (doing KEF-LAX) and TF-DTR (LAX-KEF) are going to meet in YEG. Both are descending right now.

:thumbsup: Thank you BML87!

So, finally, they DO park at the gates. Why, if the doors are supposed not to be opened?

P.S. Looks like the A321 KEF-YEG-LAX-YEG-KEF operations are starting to iron out: last WW174 and WW173 have both landed at their final destinations within +/- 20 minutes of their scheduled time. And it's going back to 330 next week (330neo delivered?).

P.P.S. TF-GAY is indeed flying to Delhi now.

chrisair

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:15 pm

workhorse wrote:
So, finally, they DO park at the gates. Why, if the doors are supposed not to be opened?

Probably because someone has to go on the plane to give the pilots the paperwork and they probably hook in to ground power while at the gate. It's easier from a logistics standpoint too. Have DGS, Menzies or whomever does the handling in YEG bring the plane in, push it out and send WOW a bill. This is likely cheaper than having Signature do the handling too.

arcticcruiser

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:45 pm

workhorse wrote:
BML87 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

:thumbsup: Thank you BML87!

P.S. Looks like the A321 KEF-YEG-LAX-YEG-KEF operations are starting to iron out: last WW174 and WW173 have both landed at their final destinations within +/- 20 minutes of their scheduled time. And it's going back to 330 next week (330neo delivered?).

P.P.S. TF-GAY is indeed flying to Delhi now.

A330neo delivered? Don’t think that is going to happen at all in light of the current financial situation. Even more a question of how long the single A330 sticks around.

airberlin2017

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 pm

The delivery of the A330neo to WOW Air is likely to be canceled. All DEL flights (from April) will be changed a few days ago to A330ceo.

Source: Seatingmap in the booking system on wow-air.us.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos