sargester
Topic Author

Re: Silver (3M) to start DAB-FLL in January

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:32 am

evank516 wrote:
sargester wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Why aren't the codeshares showing up on UA and B6 sites? :confused:

I noticed that too, i asked the JetBlue social media team and they said they had no plans (not sure if they were actually aware) of codesharing with Silver on FLL-DAB and Silver stated the main reason for the flight had to do with people in Volusia and the surrounding counties catching cruises out of FLL

This is poor networking on the part of B6 if you ask me. This is a golden opportunity for them to claim to fly to a destination that they just announced they were closing to quite the uproar (they can essentially say they're staying). If you saw DAB's social media post the day the route cancellation was announced, it was total chaos. People were VERY upset. In addition, the lack of codesharing from both UA and B6 is going to hurt Silver's attempt at operating in DAB unless they can manage with people sticking to Silver's network alone, and I don't think the demand exists for that. They need the feed from jetBlue and United, more so United because they're in the same terminal and connections will really be easy.

However, the reason Silver gave about the cruises seems to be justifiable to at least give it a try. The flights are timed out perfectly for cruises.

I live in DAB... Have some family in NY... was a big blow when they said they were pulling out of Daytona

evank516

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

sargester wrote:
evank516 wrote:
sargester wrote:

I noticed that too, i asked the JetBlue social media team and they said they had no plans (not sure if they were actually aware) of codesharing with Silver on FLL-DAB and Silver stated the main reason for the flight had to do with people in Volusia and the surrounding counties catching cruises out of FLL

This is poor networking on the part of B6 if you ask me. This is a golden opportunity for them to claim to fly to a destination that they just announced they were closing to quite the uproar (they can essentially say they're staying). If you saw DAB's social media post the day the route cancellation was announced, it was total chaos. People were VERY upset. In addition, the lack of codesharing from both UA and B6 is going to hurt Silver's attempt at operating in DAB unless they can manage with people sticking to Silver's network alone, and I don't think the demand exists for that. They need the feed from jetBlue and United, more so United because they're in the same terminal and connections will really be easy.

However, the reason Silver gave about the cruises seems to be justifiable to at least give it a try. The flights are timed out perfectly for cruises.

I live in DAB... Have some family in NY... was a big blow when they said they were pulling out of Daytona

I live on Long Island along with a good chunk of my family, but my Dad, brother, sister-in-law, and nephews live in Ormond Beach only 10 mins away from DAB. ALL of us used B6 since they started DAB. We didn't care what it cost, we used it anyway and we didn't even look for anything else. It was our go to airline. All of us were VERY upset at the news. I know some of my NY family will resort to MCO or JAX. I'll just revert back to Delta and I think my Dad will too (though he'll fly AA too if it's cheaper plus he likes CLT better) since he sees how much of a pain it is to do the long drive to MCO or JAX. Though he would pick JAX over MCO.

flybaby

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:10 am

richierich wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Also, SIlver is axing JAX so it might draw from people as far north as St. Augustine trying to get to South Florida.

Looking quickly today, there are 5 daily JAX-MIA flights (AA) and 6 daily JAX-FLL flights (B6 and WN). The one daily DAB flight will have to compete with that when it comes to those living along the I-95 corridor north of Daytona.

Also add Spirit to JAX-FLL starting mid-February.

evank516

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:49 pm

flybaby wrote:
richierich wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Also, SIlver is axing JAX so it might draw from people as far north as St. Augustine trying to get to South Florida.

Looking quickly today, there are 5 daily JAX-MIA flights (AA) and 6 daily JAX-FLL flights (B6 and WN). The one daily DAB flight will have to compete with that when it comes to those living along the I-95 corridor north of Daytona.

Also add Spirit to JAX-FLL starting mid-February.

Good point.

PI4EVER

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:23 pm

I flew them a couple times from TPA to JAX and was a bit surprised they could not make the JAX market work for them.
The fares however were not cheap and although the schedule was timed well and convenient for business travelers, their reliability did suffer.
The last flight I flew last year the flight was almost 3 hours late due to "operational issues" for a flight of 40 minutes, but it was an evening flight and had operated late throughout the day from an early morning delay. It repeated itself the next 2 days in a row.
People will not pay high prices for unreliable service. It is generally a 3+ hour drive to/from TPA that can get dicey if you go via Orlando and I-4, but again trusting the flight will operate without issues likely killed the market.
I do outside sales for a large cruise agency. I do not feel 3M can base this flight service strictly from customers flying to FLL for a cruise.
The morning flight is definitely conveniently timed for an afternoon cruise sailing from FLL, but those who book a MIA ship will encounter a shuttle/limo/Uber ride of at least an hour after bag claim in FLL to get to their ship. The return flight at 630pm is not "perfect" for a cruise passengert who will leave the ship by 10am and sit at FLL or transit from MIA to not arrive DAB until 8pm. In the worse traffic they could be home in DAB or the surrounding area by just driving, And I doubt there are consistently 10-20+ cruise passengers who would choose this flight service on a daily basis. If there is no codeshare business with B6 or UA, I question the "local" market in DAB for a daily flight to FLL to be successful long term.
watch what you want. you may get it.

evank516

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
I flew them a couple times from TPA to JAX and was a bit surprised they could not make the JAX market work for them.
The fares however were not cheap and although the schedule was timed well and convenient for business travelers, their reliability did suffer.
The last flight I flew last year the flight was almost 3 hours late due to "operational issues" for a flight of 40 minutes, but it was an evening flight and had operated late throughout the day from an early morning delay. It repeated itself the next 2 days in a row.
People will not pay high prices for unreliable service. It is generally a 3+ hour drive to/from TPA that can get dicey if you go via Orlando and I-4, but again trusting the flight will operate without issues likely killed the market.
I do outside sales for a large cruise agency. I do not feel 3M can base this flight service strictly from customers flying to FLL for a cruise.
The morning flight is definitely conveniently timed for an afternoon cruise sailing from FLL, but those who book a MIA ship will encounter a shuttle/limo/Uber ride of at least an hour after bag claim in FLL to get to their ship. The return flight at 630pm is not "perfect" for a cruise passengert who will leave the ship by 10am and sit at FLL or transit from MIA to not arrive DAB until 8pm. In the worse traffic they could be home in DAB or the surrounding area by just driving, And I doubt there are consistently 10-20+ cruise passengers who would choose this flight service on a daily basis. If there is no codeshare business with B6 or UA, I question the "local" market in DAB for a daily flight to FLL to be successful long term.

I absolutely agree regarding the codesharing with UA and B6. This is necessary to ensure success. You can only expect so much local traffic from DAB without it, and connecting beyond FLL to places like EYW or the Bahamas can only add on so many people per day. As for the cruiseship traffic, it will work well for FLL cruises and even MIA. It won't mean EVERY Daytona Beach based passenger will use it, but it may offer the older crowd who may not like driving long distances an extra option. On another note, there are simply people who just don't like long drives. The drive from Daytona Beach to Miami is at least 4 hours one way. That's not including any potential traffic on I-95 once you hit West Palm Beach. The drive from Daytona Beach to Fort Lauderdale is probably right at 4 hours, but we need to remember that anyone flying DAB-FLL may not be coming from the immediate vicinity surrounding DAB. There's a catchment area north of the airport in Flagler County in cities like Palm Coast and Flagler Beach. The demographic (in terms of income) is mixed, but now we're talking an extra half hour to 45 minutes of driving down to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

DeltaRules

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 pm

One thing lost in the shuffle is two of Silver's senior executives have places in the Daytona area. The combination of that plus the funding behind it makes me wonder if this will run as long as they want it to, like Pan Am's 707 to one of the Bahamas so Trippe could get the New York Times or the UA executive (Smisek? Munoz?) who started EWR-CAE so he could fly to his vacation place.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

evank516

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
One thing lost in the shuffle is two of Silver's senior executives have places in the Daytona area. The combination of that plus the funding behind it makes me wonder if this will run as long as they want it to, like Pan Am's 707 to one of the Bahamas so Trippe could get the New York Times or the UA executive (Smisek? Munoz?) who started EWR-CAE so he could fly to his vacation place.

I guess it depends on how long these two individuals had their places in the Daytona Area. If they've had them for a long time then why didn't they start the route sooner? If they just bought these places then you're right. Easy commuter route for them, and ironically in more ways than one.

rbavfan

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 pm

F27500 wrote:
Didn't realize B6 was discontinuing DAB. Wonder if they would consider MLB?

Why would the consider MLB when they are getting a new terminal at MCO?

evank516

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 am

Silver's flight is officially bookable on united.com.

DeltaRules

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 pm

evank516 wrote:

That's what I like to see. It'll require a double-connection from most all non-hubs, but it's better than nothing.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

evank516

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:03 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:

That's what I like to see. It'll require a double-connection from most all non-hubs, but it's better than nothing.

Yes it will, but it's there. And FLL-DAB isn't going to be a long flight anyway. I reached out to DAB via their Facebook page yesterday and they said that flights should also be bookable through jetblue.com but when I told them it wasn't they said they were going to reach out to Silver about it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos