Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyguy
Topic Author

WN Announces BWI-GCM, HOU-PUJ, AUS-RDU, BNA-BUR/SJC/OMA, OMA-SAN, ONT-SFO

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm

WN announced this morning that it is starting BWI-GCM, HOU-PUJ, AUS-RDU, BNA-BUR/SJC/OMA, OMA-SAN, and ONT-SFO.

BoeingGuy

Re: WN Announces BWI-GCM, HOU-PUJ, AUS-RDU, BNA-BUR/SJC/OMA, OMA-SAN, ONT-SFO

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 pm

Actually I was very surprised that WN didn't already fly SFO-ONT when I saw this. I would have assumed they did. I remember when PSA flew that route with 737-200s.

texdravid

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 pm

I was hoping for SAN-OKC/TUL instead.
That would be a good new route

KLMatSJC

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am

SJC-RDU was also announced.

SANFan

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:55 am

Since this thread seems to be alive, I'll also point out that SAN-ORF was announced this morning. It's only once a week in a market that saw an average of 149 PDEW over Q1 & Q2 of 2018. My guess is it's a test by WN.

bb

joeljack

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 am

I had no idea there was a schedule extension happening because there wasn’t a thread like normal. Personally I love the thread and who wants to click into a mile long thread with a ton of stuff I could care less about. I’ve been on here for well over 10 years and the schedule extension thread and weekly OAG updates are the ones I look forward to the most! Please don’t stop the schedule extension threads.

Btw super excited for OMA-BNA!! I hope it goes daily.

Daily MCO-OMA goes away this year from previous years. Last summer the times of the flights were terrible. The year before they were great. Not surprised it goes away based off that. If they moved it back to the 2017 times, it would be successful again.

ctrabs0114

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 am

SANFan wrote:
Since this thread seems to be alive, I'll also point out that SAN-ORF was announced this morning. It's only once a week in a market that saw an average of 149 PDEW over Q1 & Q2 of 2018. My guess is it's a test by WN.

bb

I wouldn't be surprised most of that traffic is government related, considering SAN and ORF are two cities with a large US Navy presence.

wedgetail737

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 am

And PAE plans have been canceled.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 am

BNA-BUR makes total sense to me. Nashville is a thriving city and huge in entertainment and music. The Burbank area is close to lots of the entertainment industry and music Industry too. The traffic and pain of LAX I always prefer the BUR, SNA type airports when possible, the traffic seems to be only getting worse.

ericm2031

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 am

This schedule extension seems sort of odd...wasn't much speculation leading up to it compared to usual. And it seems like there are more routes that were not included in the press release that have been brought up on these forums (SAN-ORF, SJC-RDU, maybe more?).

WN732

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:38 am

ericm2031 wrote:
This schedule extension seems sort of odd...wasn't much speculation leading up to it compared to usual. And it seems like there are more routes that were not included in the press release that have been brought up on these forums (SAN-ORF, SJC-RDU, maybe more?).

Well people complained that there were too many WN schedule release threads and that there was too much speculation. So we don't have those anymore I guess.

But yes there's a lot of routes that were not posted online

AirFiero

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:50 am

usflyguy wrote:
WN announced this morning that it is starting BWI-GCM, HOU-PUJ, AUS-RDU, BNA-BUR/SJC/OMA, OMA-SAN, and ONT-SFO.

KLMatSJC wrote:
SJC-RDU was also announced.

Whoa! SJC-BNA *and* RDU? Nice!

PlanesNTrains

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:54 am

SANFan wrote:

bb

That's one that I think you've pondered in the past. Nice to see it come to fruition.

caflyboy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:31 am

Thank God SJC-BNA!

KLMatSJC

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:54 am

AirFiero wrote:

It's a Sunday only flight, which seems weird because it seems like it would be a good business route.

jmacias34

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 am

So glad to see ONT-SFO on WN.

Flights begin on June 9th. 4x MON-FRI and 3x SAT/SUN.

BGS91762

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 am

jmacias34 wrote:
So glad to see ONT-SFO on WN.

Flights begin on June 9th. 4x MON-FRI and 3x SAT/SUN.

So happy to see ONT doing so well. I was skeptical at first if local control would help but it seems to have done wonders. Even the terminals and amenities are much improved. Great airport for anybody in the eastern LA Metro.

AirFiero

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am

KLMatSJC wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

It's a Sunday only flight, which seems weird because it seems like it would be a good business route.

Which flight?
Ack! For BNA, I thought I read the PDEW was good enough for more than a 1x/week flight?

KLMatSJC

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:23 am

AirFiero wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Which flight?
Ack! For BNA, I thought I read the PDEW was good enough for more than a 1x/week flight?

RDU is the Sunday flight. BNA is daily.

AirFiero

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Which flight?

That seems like an odd route for Sunday only.

Dominion301

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Apparently BUF-DEN is being added daily too.

MDW22L31C

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm

I wonder will UA respond by going all mainline jets on SFO-ONT. SWA will be adding a third flight to DEN next June maybe UA will add additional flights to DEN like the old days with 4 flights a day.

Looks like ONT has made it back from life support.
Delta adding flights to ATL
Frontier and JetBlue starting service to ONT

And all the Amazon 767’s parked at the old ONT terminal there are 6 to 8 767’s parked there all the time.

FedEx Express will invest nearly $100 million to revitalize aircraft parking apron areas; consolidate and construct a sorting facility, ground support staging area, secondary and maintenance buildings on the northwest corner of the airport.

Maybe UA or AA will add an ORD flight soon. Then UA to IAH.

osupoke07

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 pm

texdravid wrote:
I was hoping for SAN-OKC/TUL instead.
That would be a good new route

I'd love for Tulsa to get service to SAN and and BWI.

jmacias34

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 am

MDW22L31C wrote:
I wonder will UA respond by going all mainline jets on SFO-ONT. SWA will be adding a third flight to DEN next June maybe UA will add additional flights to DEN like the old days with 4 flights a day.

Maybe UA or AA will add an ORD flight soon. Then UA to IAH.

I've noticed that UA has been using a mix of maniline and RJs on SFO-ONT over the past few months. It may be limited to the RON flights though.

AA has tried ORD seasonal daily but it was a red-eye. I wonder if UA could make it work year round 2x on an A319?

I think an ONT-MSP flight would be the last 'ressurection' flight from the pre 9/11 days when NW flew it. That and maybe ONT-STL which was last flown by TWA. Although I doubt there is enough traffic for DAL or SWA to justify those flights.

ONT has rebounded pretty well after gaining local control. I never would have thought ONT-MCO/SAT/AUS would exist, never.

Now it is about sustaining that growth, further expansion and growing the user base.

SteveXC500

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:02 pm

ONT-MSP would be nice, but I just don’t see it. It’s become clear as we approach ten years of WN at MSP they are completely comfortable being a minor player at MSP. I still go back to this: they won’t even fly to LAS daily. If you can’t make that city pair work...what are you really doing

wnflyguy

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:47 pm

I think once WN starts up Hawaii service ONT will be it's 3ed SoCal Gateway after SAN and LAX.
ATA did HNL-ONT prior to there total shutdown.
Maybe WN could bring back ONT-BNA service by making it a One stop same plane service to Hawaii. BNA-ONT-HNL/ HNL-ONT-BNA.

Flyguy

lostsound

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

As a singer songwriter who lives in North Hollywood, the BUR-BNA addition is incredible for me. Now I have access to both New York and Nashville from Burbank. Now if only AC would add YYZ/YVR to BUR. Then I could get back to my family for special occasions without dealing with LAX chaos. Dreaming out loud of course...

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:25 pm

AirFiero wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Which flight?

WN is doing some odd stuff on Sundays. The BNA-OMA is Sunday only, and BNA-OKC is coming back Sunday only next summer. That tells me that WN does not necessarily see the Sunday only routes as routes that must go to daily or get cut.

lostsound wrote:
As a singer songwriter who lives in North Hollywood, the BUR-BNA addition is incredible for me. Now I have access to both New York and Nashville from Burbank. Now if only AC would add YYZ/YVR to BUR. Then I could get back to my family for special occasions without dealing with LAX chaos. Dreaming out loud of course...

Does BUR have enough of a FIS facility that it can accept precleared Canada flights?

barney captain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Does BUR have enough of a FIS facility that it can accept precleared Canada flights?

Doesn't the Preclearance eliminate the need for an FIS facility altogether?

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:36 pm

barney captain wrote:

They have to have the ability to reclear the flight if necessary. It need not be a “formal” FIS facility as long as there is a CBP-approved plan.

barney captain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
barney captain wrote:

They have to have the ability to reclear the flight if necessary. It need not be a “formal” FIS facility as long as there is a CBP-approved plan.

Ah, got it . I never realized that (but it makes perfect sense).

AirFiero

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

WN is doing some odd stuff on Sundays. The BNA-OMA is Sunday only, and BNA-OKC is coming back Sunday only next summer. That tells me that WN does not necessarily see the Sunday only routes as routes that must go to daily or get cut.

I can see a route like SJC-MSY as a sat or sun only, being a vacation destination. But RDU? That seems like a tech business route.

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

I can see a route like SJC-MSY as a sat or sun only, being a vacation destination. But RDU? That seems like a tech business route.

While I see what you are saying, OKC-BNA isn’t exactly a leisure route either.

phllax

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
barney captain wrote:

BUR does not have CBP or FIS facilities. All private jets stop at Van Nuys first to clear and then hop over.

BN727227Ultra

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Once a week OMA-BNA? On a Sunday? I have no idea what they're thinking.

This reminds me of the F9 service to Austin/San Antonio. I have to assume that if they're marketing this for round-trip traffic, they're selling OMA-BNA-STL-OMA or reverse (you can replace STL with MDW) where one of your legs will be non-stop.

I like Nashville, but I don't want to spend eight days there waiting for my flight back--Nashville isn't Walt Disney World or the Caribbean where they might be able to get away with it. And the timing of the flights (mid-day) isn't conducive for people wanting to make a day-trip to OMA or BNA, as if that clientele exists in the first place.

So, who is WN's customer? The only thing I can think of is that one or more corporate clients made noises that they'd be interested in sending 100+ employees from BNA to OMA or vice versa once a week. That's pie/sky because I can't think who that'd be, but even if that's the case, why seasonal?

Cubsrule

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:42 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
Once a week OMA-BNA? On a Sunday? I have no idea what they're thinking.

This reminds me of the F9 service to Austin/San Antonio. I have to assume that if they're marketing this for round-trip traffic, they're selling OMA-BNA-STL-OMA or reverse (you can replace STL with MDW) where one of your legs will be non-stop.

I like Nashville, but I don't want to spend eight days there waiting for my flight back--Nashville isn't Walt Disney World or the Caribbean where they might be able to get away with it. And the timing of the flights (mid-day) isn't conducive for people wanting to make a day-trip to OMA or BNA, as if that clientele exists in the first place.

So, who is WN's customer? The only thing I can think of is that one or more corporate clients made noises that they'd be interested in sending 100+ employees from BNA to OMA or vice versa once a week. That's pie/sky because I can't think who that'd be, but even if that's the case, why seasonal?

It’s no different from OKC-BNA, which apparently works at the same frequency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos