dcajet
Topic Author

Edelweiss inaugural ZRH-EZE-ZRH

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

After 13 years absence, a Swiss airline is back at EZE. Edelweiss began twice weekly service with the A343s. This becomes the longest flight (measured by flight time) for the LH Group, scheduled for 14.5 hrs flight time. LH's daily FRA-EZE is 100 miles longer, but the 748 is faster than the A343.

With Swiss punctuality, HB-JMG landed right on time, at 9:00 AM at EZE

Photo credit: Aviones en Ezeiza

Passengers checking in for the return flight to ZRH were treated to typical Swiss music:

https://twitter.com/aviacionnews/status ... 2832452608

A welcome addition of another A340 operator flying them regularly to EZE: the airport was just down to AR's and IB's A340s.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

PSAatSAN4Ever

Re: Edelweiss inaugural ZRH-EZE-ZRH

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Congratulations to EZE and Edelweiss Air! And HB-JMG, which was my plane flying ZRH-SAN last year...

Isn't it funny that a few years ago the A340 seemed to be on its way out (the A330 was SO much more efficient!)? I had actually written the type off on my "bucket list" of types, but the LH groups is really finding markets for them!!

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 pm

"Red noses" this morning at EZE:

Photo credit: Desde El Patio Blog.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Congratulations to EZE and Edelweiss Air! And HB-JMG, which was my plane flying ZRH-SAN last year...

Isn't it funny that a few years ago the A340 seemed to be on its way out (the A330 was SO much more efficient!)? I had actually written the type off on my "bucket list" of types, but the LH groups is really finding markets for them!!

Well, they are paid off @ LH Group. A343s operating costs are very competitive with the 777-200's. So as long as oil prices remain stable, we will see the A340 for a couple more years.

cedars747

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I wish them good luck especially in the current economic crisis in Argentina.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

PatrickZ80

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Seems like a lot of European airlines are starting Buenos Aires lately. KLM, Norwegian, Alitalia, Level and now Edelweiss and I'm sure I've forgotten some. I wonder who's going to pull out first as the market between Europe and Buenos Aires seems to be heavily overserved.

Mex87

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Alitalia has been flying to Buenos Aires since the late 1940´s, and KLM´s Buenos Aires service (also started in the 1940´s) was restarted in 2011 after being absent for a decade or so... They are not that new... but Norwegian, LEVEL and Edelweiss surely are.

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Seems like a lot of European airlines are starting Buenos Aires lately. KLM, Norwegian, Alitalia, Level and now Edelweiss and I'm sure I've forgotten some. I wonder who's going to pull out first as the market between Europe and Buenos Aires seems to be heavily overserved.

Buenos Aires and Argentina in general is a huge market for European airlines, if anything it needs more competition. You are already seeing direct flights from Spain to cities in Argentina other than Bs.As., such as Cordoba and Iguazu Falls. The ties, in particular between Argentina, Spain and Italy are huge and significant with France, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK.

Turkish also does good business from EZE to Europe and Israel, via IST.

cedars747 wrote:
I wish them good luck especially in the current economic crisis in Argentina.

The airline business relies on feed on both ends of a route. If travel drops at one end due to currency fluctuations (devaluations) it means it has become cheaper for the other end. So, it evens out.

geoshina

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 pm

The only drawback seems to be with Air Canada so far.
Let's hope once they get more 787 they can return to daily separate SCL and EZE flights.

PA12

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 am

Overserved? No way, what are you talking about?
Another one possibly may be TAP next year, but no update on that.

cedars747

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:02 am

[/quote] The airline business relies on feed on both ends of a route. If travel drops at one end due to currency fluctuations (devaluations) it means it has become cheaper for the other end. So, it evens out.[/quote]

This is the problem, Europe has its things too. In Norway for example the dollar went to the clouds.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 pm

cedars747 wrote:
The airline business relies on feed on both ends of a route. If travel drops at one end due to currency fluctuations (devaluations) it means it has become cheaper for the other end. So, it evens out.

This is the problem, Europe has its things too. In Norway for example the dollar went to the clouds.

I hear you. The good news is that traffic between Norway and Argentina does not move the needle too much, viewed in the context of traffic to Argentina from other European countries

geoshina wrote:
The only drawback seems to be with Air Canada so far.
Let's hope once they get more 787 they can return to daily separate SCL and EZE flights.

That one can't be pinned on EZE only. Actually, the EZE-YYZ 3x w flight does very well from an occupancy perspective. Can't speak to yields. It appears SCL has seen the larger drop in traffic to Canada YTD per Chile's JAC. SCL stands at 5x w, explained by the heavy presence of Canadian mining companies in Chile's mining sector, that generates traffic. To consider also is the rather poor timing of the northbound flight, that is a daytime one and arriving at YYZ too late for connections to Europe or Asia. Traditionally, AC (and CP before) did very good business with those Asia bound passengers. Clearly something went amiss with separating both destinations.

upperdeckfan

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:47 pm

To consider also is the rather poor timing of the northbound flight, that is a daytime one and arriving at YYZ too late for connections to Europe or Asia. Traditionally, AC (and CP before) did very good business with those Asia bound passengers. Clearly something went amiss with separating both destinations.

AC will have to rely on Canada-Argentina O&D, these days Argentina-Asia traffic is being funneled through EK & QR and hard to see many flying EZE-YYZ-Europe with every major capital in Europe is connected non stop to EZE
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722,717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87,M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3

dcajet
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:36 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
To consider also is the rather poor timing of the northbound flight, that is a daytime one and arriving at YYZ too late for connections to Europe or Asia. Traditionally, AC (and CP before) did very good business with those Asia bound passengers. Clearly something went amiss with separating both destinations.

AC will have to rely on Canada-Argentina O&D, these days Argentina-Asia traffic is being funneled through EK & QR and hard to see many flying EZE-YYZ-Europe with every major capital in Europe is connected non stop to EZE

You are correct in that the ME2 (and TK and ET) have taken a big chunk from AC's traditional Argentina-Asia business but the airline still offers great bargains on the route; consider this if you are willing to overnight/stayover at YYZ and YVR:

Not bad at all (a little over US$1,000 for Argentina-China.

dcajet
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:56 am

Lufty's 747-8 celebrating with Argentinian, German and Swiss flags the ZRH-EZE inaugural by sister airline, Edelweiss

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp7XlKwA5gh/

Credit: Desde El Patio Blog

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos