MaksFly

Re: European destinations no longer served by DL

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:59 am

So much for "point to point" flying when seemingly more and more transatlantic is happening with a stop at a Euro hub.

I really enjoyed flying Delta JFK - SVO, even as an ethnic Russian, preferred that flight over Aeroflot or Trans Aero non stops or the numerous Euro one stops. Flying in the 767 with the 2-3-2 was just a joy.

Did not realize Delta flew non stop to KBP or with a hop to LED.

NYC to KBP would be quite welcome as the Ukraine International Airlines/AeroSvit is just a horrendous product.

NYC to LED... one can only dream right?

CPS001

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 am

OA412 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Correct. DL operated FRA-BOM for many years after the route acquisition from PA. The flight was only moved to CDG after DL and AF announced their partnership, sometime in the very early 2000s.

Also MIA-FRA for a very short time after the route acquisitions.

DL also flew to MAA at one time. I don't remember where it stopped in Europe though. I flew the BOM-CDG flight once around 2003.

That's correct. It was a FRA-MAA routing. I cannot remember if it ever moved to CDG when BOM was moved, or if it was dropped prior to that.

I remember flying DL from BOS to MAA via CDG. I can't remember though whether CDG-MAA was on DL or AF metal.
Follow me on Flickr
Subscribe to my channel on YouTube

airzona11

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
So sad. They are growing more and more dependent on AF/KLM to get their passengers to Europe and the Middle East.

https://youtu.be/XxQ4hBwp4Q4

DL is the number 1 airline across the Atlantic. Not sure who they are dependent on if they are the largest. If you add in metal neutral JV, they are even larger. While it would be "cool" if they flew to all the smaller EU cities, the reality is if the demand was there, DL would fly the routes.

LupineChemist

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am

I know some family used to work DTW-AMS-BOM on NW and that was around the time of the merger. Don't know how long that one continued for.

I also remember my first time in Europe was flying DL JFK-LYS in 2009. I also seem to remember they had AGP service which hasn't been mentioned here. But that may be a total invention on my part.

Cunard

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:54 am

LupineChemist wrote:
I know some family used to work DTW-AMS-BOM on NW and that was around the time of the merger. Don't know how long that one continued for.

I also remember my first time in Europe was flying DL JFK-LYS in 2009. I also seem to remember they had AGP service which hasn't been mentioned here. But that may be a total invention on my part.

Both AGP and JFK-LYS have been mentioned down thread on at least two occasions if you've read the entirety of this discussion you would have read that!

by738

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:06 pm

I think ATL-EDI might have been attempted twice in two forms, permanent then seasonal? Before being dropped. Dont think loads were great.

klm617

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Quite a few have been cut over the years from CVG: CVG-AMS/LGW/FRA/MUC/ZRH/BRU/FCO/ORY. Only CVG-CDG remains.

Others they flew recently but have since cut: CDG-PIT/ORD/PHL/EWR, LHR-PHL, and AMS-EWR/MEM.

BRU-CVG was only served by Sabena.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Semperfi28 wrote:
Don’t forget the FRA hub days. I flew them SFO-FRA, LAX-FRA. There was probably a DFW-FRA and a bunch of others. I may remember flying JFK-CPH-PRG & JFK-AMS-PRG.

Delta also operated EWR-FRA
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

burnsie28

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:49 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
OlympicATH wrote:

This is misleading and inaccurate.

Disagree completely. This is not misleading other than perhaps Norwegian which is actually multiple airlines. Either way, it is not "inaccurate" - especially as the graph is expressly by airline.

The US majors fly from many ports in the US to many ports in Europe. BA only flies from LHR, AF from CDG, etc.

BA flies from LGW and LCY. AF also flies from ORY. Either way, this doesn't make a difference because the dynamics are different - it doesn't mean DL isn't bigger.

The more accurate way to do this would be by airline groups. BA/IB/EI is effectively the same airline. Same for AF/KL and LH/LX/OS. Unlike the US majors, the European ones kept separate national brands for historical reasons. That's all.

Is it? So do you include AM in DL? What about a portion of AF/KLM in DL? But more importantly, each of these is a separate airline. They have separate management, etc. It would be inappropriate to lump groups together when you are doing it by airline.

The no1 transatlantic airline is IAG (even if you group DL and VS together).

So basically that graph is misleading because it doesn't lead to the result you want.

I explained my thinking. I rest my case.
European airline groups kept separate brands for historical and cultural reasons. It's like Delta keeping the Northwest brand/AOC (or American/US Airways, United/Continental). In Europe you just need to keep the national brands or you lose a major brand and competitive advantage.
IAG is one company. So is AFKLM. So is the Lufthansa Group. Yes they have divisional management teams but there is one single Group management, one Board and one stock (they are all publicly listed).

I'm going to argue this one with you. Under the EU/US openskies, any Euro Carrier can fly from any point in Europe if they want. AF tried it from LHR before it didn't work. Norwegian effectively already does this. Just because BA, AF, etc can't make money doing that doesn't mean they can't operate if they want. They choose to keep their eggs relatively one basket.

KICT

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 pm

While not a "Delta" route per se, NW flew BDL-AMS for a short time on the 757 in the mid-2000s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos