WorldFlier

Re: Chinese and Russian Widebody Project takes shape

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:20 pm

spinotter wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Wayfarer515 wrote:

Youve got to be kidding right? Can you tell me the last time China invaded a sovereign country? You must be thinking of certain other country that acts like the judge of the world...without anybody asking them to.

Tibet, Xinjiang, Mongolia, Korea, Taiwan (if they could), Vietnam, should I continue?

Tibet and Xinjiang have long been viewed as parts of China. The Mongols invaded and ruled China, not the other way round. Taiwan should be part of China, if it could be arranged in a way fair to everyone. Vietnam and Korea, yes - but they were once part of the Chinese Empire. China has been the victim of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the US. In the scheme of history, China has been the great power least embarking upon imperialistic adventures.

The people of Tibet and Xinjiang would disagree with your statement (but Mrs. World Flier would agree with you).

China returned the favor by "invading" "Inner Mongolia" - and have all but invaded the actual country of Mongolia but without firing a single shot.

Taiwan has decided it wants to be a free country, and they're an ally...so it would be an "invasion"

So, let me get this straight it's ok to invade if it was part of the empire? Asking for a Russian Comrade of mine, he would appreciate that view point...

But back to aviation! The C929 will sell in Russia, China, Venezuela, Cuba, Sub-Saharan Africa, and potentially some ASEAN states.

thekorean

Re: China, Russia unveil Widebody to compete with Airbus, Boeing

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 am

BrianWilkes wrote:
yes well Russian and China, a copy of a copy. Nothing original guys?

There’s only so many ways to design a jet.

c933103

Re: Chinese, Russian aircraft to compete with Airbus, Boeing

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Their high speed train system was compromised in an entire plethora of problems. But ..... They did it and it seems to be working well. And I suspect it is as complicated a system as any plane.

Except multiple high speed train manufacturers have agreed to technology transfer agreement that transferred knowledge of those high-speed train production to China. And such thing didn't happen for aircraft yet.

TheEuphorian

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:26 am

But back to aviation! The C929 will sell in Russia, China, Venezuela, Cuba, Sub-Saharan Africa, and potentially some ASEAN states.

For the ASEAN states:
-Cambodia: Maybe
-Laos; I don't think QV will order widebodies, ever.
-Myanmar: probably
-Indonesia: No chance.
-Singapore: Never.
-Malaysia: Never.
-Philippines: Only if PR/5J is forced to do so.
-Thailand: Only if TG is forced to do so.
-Vietnam: I don't think VN would buy Chinese aircraft.
-Brunei Darussalam: No.

pylon101

Re: Comac, UAC to develop CR929 300-seat widebody aircraft

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

For Russia, it is all about R&D and transportation security.
To re-start development and manufacturing of the whole line - from IL-114 turboprop to what is now called C929 - would be a huge achievement.
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

hz747300

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:

For the ASEAN states:
-Cambodia: Maybe
-Laos; I don't think QV will order widebodies, ever.
-Myanmar: probably
-Indonesia: No chance.
-Singapore: Never.
-Malaysia: Never.
-Philippines: Only if PR/5J is forced to do so.
-Thailand: Only if TG is forced to do so.
-Vietnam: I don't think VN would buy Chinese aircraft.
-Brunei Darussalam: No.

I don't think TG would, they don't have to. But maybe one of those disposable airlines in Thailand might, like Siam Airlines, or its replacements.
Keep on truckin'...

EBJ68

Re: Comac, UAC to develop CR929 300-seat widebody aircraft

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm

The outcome of this project may ultimately amaze us all. It'll never happen? Remains to be seen. The possibilities are fascinating.

ExpatVet

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

spinotter wrote:
Vietnam and Korea, yes - but they were once part of the Chinese Empire. China has been the victim of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the US. In the scheme of history, China has been the great power least embarking upon imperialistic adventures.

Pardon me for a bland question, but how exactly do you have an Empire without imperialistic adventures?
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

Interflug74

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

spinotter wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Wayfarer515 wrote:

Youve got to be kidding right? Can you tell me the last time China invaded a sovereign country? You must be thinking of certain other country that acts like the judge of the world...without anybody asking them to.

Tibet, Xinjiang, Mongolia, Korea, Taiwan (if they could), Vietnam, should I continue?

Tibet and Xinjiang have long been viewed as parts of China. The Mongols invaded and ruled China, not the other way round. Taiwan should be part of China, if it could be arranged in a way fair to everyone. Vietnam and Korea, yes - but they were once part of the Chinese Empire. China has been the victim of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the US. In the scheme of history, China has been the great power least embarking upon imperialistic adventures.

To stay with the truth, China and Germany had tight connections eversince. Germany was THE partner for China in political and economically areas, until 1941 when the JAPANES joined the war.
Even the Hitlerjugend was active in China. After 1941, complained by both sides, connection was lost until the war ends. (after the war China startet the 3-years plan for building it´s industrie, laid together with germay) Joining the allies, China declared war on germany 09.12.1941. Not the other way round.

The only military intervention was putting down the boxer rebellion, and wich was to protect foreign people in China.

Erebus

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

WorldFlier wrote:

If you needed any sort of indication of where this might sell, just follow the orderbooks of the current portfolio of Russian and Chinese products, in service and in development.

WorldFlier

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Erebus wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

If you needed any sort of indication of where this might sell, just follow the orderbooks of the current portfolio of Russian and Chinese products, in service and in development.

If Venezuela's economy wasn't down a toilet, they'd order some Sukhoi Superjets (they only have money for military equipment).

The Superjet has a backlog of several years. If they could produce enough, I am sure countries from Russia's near abroad would order it. China doesn't have any financial limitations that are preventing Russia from solving the Superjet's teething issues. Why would you wait years for a Superjet when you can pick up some of Jet Blue's E-190s in a few months?

Look to the MC-21 to see what kind of progress will have been made on that front.

China has not made a successful airliner yet, but the COMAC's C919 has an (theoretical) order book that would have made Airbus' first plane's pre-order book get size-envy.

Erebus

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
China has not made a successful airliner yet, but the COMAC's C919 has an (theoretical) order book that would have made Airbus' first plane's pre-order book get size-envy.

It is a rather large orderbook but the vast majority of those are being held by an astonishing number of Chinese leasing and banking insitutions. I do wonder where these are going to be placed apart from perhaps some third world 'vanity airlines' who'll likely end up parking them in the desert after a few years, beholden to their debts.

WorldFlier

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Erebus wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

It is a rather large orderbook but the vast majority of those are being held by an astonishing number of Chinese leasing and banking insitutions. I do wonder where these are going to be placed apart from perhaps some third world 'vanity airlines' who'll likely end up parking them in the desert after a few years, beholden to their debts.

You are 100% correct sir. These will be bought by the Big 3 Chinese and will be flown (with less efficiency than their 737/A320...hell even the MC-21 is better) actively.

Most other airlines that buy them will either go bankrupt or will buy them in exchange for a bailout (COUGH...HNA...COUGH...ARJ-21...COUGH)...

JoeCanuck

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Erebus wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

You are 100% correct sir. These will be bought by the Big 3 Chinese and will be flown (with less efficiency than their 737/A320...hell even the MC-21 is better) actively.

Most other airlines that buy them will either go bankrupt or will buy them in exchange for a bailout (COUGH...HNA...COUGH...ARJ-21...COUGH)...

...and before they're flown by airlines, they still have to get produced in numbers large enough to actually matter. Booking sales is the easy part.

In the meantime, all of the airlines with C919 orders, are grabbing as many 737's and/or 320's they can afford.
What the...?

spinotter

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:33 pm

ewt340 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

Isn't it great, the people who got invaded now became the invaders themself. Beautiful way of human nature.

The Chinese Empire has exercised suzerainty over Xinjiang since the Han Dynasty some 2000 years ago. Tibet has been under some Mongol and later Chinese control since the Mongol dynasty in the 1200's. How about if we talk about the expansion of Russia to the Pacific, or the extermination of the Native American population by the Europeans then by the United States? Many more Uighurs and Tibetans still are alive now in 2018 than Native Americans, wouldn't you agree?

spinotter

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:40 pm

ExpatVet wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Vietnam and Korea, yes - but they were once part of the Chinese Empire. China has been the victim of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the US. In the scheme of history, China has been the great power least embarking upon imperialistic adventures.

Pardon me for a bland question, but how exactly do you have an Empire without imperialistic adventures?

I stated that China has been less imperialistic than Japan, the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Rome, the various Islamic Empires, or the United States, not totally devoid of imperialism. Would you not agree? Of course their geographical location, surrounded by ocean, desert, and the Himalayas, was a huge factor in their modest aspirations, but still, the LEAST imperialistic of all great powers throughout history.

c933103

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:06 pm

spinotter wrote:
The Chinese Empire has exercised suzerainty over Xinjiang since the Han Dynasty some 2000 years ago. Tibet has been under some Mongol and later Chinese control since the Mongol dynasty in the 1200's.

If exercising suzerainty signify ownership, does that mean the US own Palau now?
How about if we talk about the expansion of Russia to the Pacific,
That's almost no man's land except a few tribes?
or the extermination of the Native American population by the Europeans then by the United States? Many more Uighurs and Tibetans still are alive now in 2018 than Native Americans, wouldn't you agree?
At least aboriginal American can still learn their own culture and languages without fear?
ExpatVet wrote:

It's easy, claim everywhere you expanded into to be rightfully yours, so the expansion won't be imperialistic. Some European countries tried and failed at that a few decades ago.

spinotter wrote:
I stated that China has been less imperialistic than Japan, the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Rome, the various Islamic Empires, or the United States, not totally devoid of imperialism. Would you not agree? Of course their geographical location, surrounded by ocean, desert, and the Himalayas, was a huge factor in their modest aspirations, but still, the LEAST imperialistic of all great powers throughout history.

I see, so getting all conquerable lands until you face natural barriers in all directions is not imperialistic.

JoeCanuck

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:01 pm

spinotter wrote:
ExpatVet wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Perhaps...but they sure are making up for it now. Annexing the entire South China sea, much to the consternation of countries in the region, is one example.
What the...?

747megatop

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:13 pm

spinotter wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Wayfarer515 wrote:

But China is no less imperialistic. Other (smaller) countries have been a victim of Chinese imperialistic adventures (India, Vietnam, Philippines to name a few). Like i said all 5 UN security council permanent members are guilty of it (and that's the reason they are the big 5 and remain in that exclusive club..it is all about power & muscle). The other past imperialistic powers - German, Japan and Italy are also guilty of it.

mxaxai

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

spinotter wrote:
they were once part of the Chinese Empire.

A great number of places that now are part of one country once belonged to another country, if only briefly. Does that mean that these territories can be legally reclaimed?

Germany once extended far to the east and west. Does that justify invading Poland and France?
The USA were once part of the UK. They even still speak the same language. Should they reunite under british leadership?
The Mongol Khans ruled an empire that included major parts of what is now China. Would you return those parts to present day mongolia?
The Inka had control over much of south america. Why not return control of the land to their descendants?

SurlyBonds

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am

c933103 wrote:
At least aboriginal American can still learn their own culture and languages without fear?

That has really only been true since the 1970s or even early 1980s. Visit the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque sometime. The "Indian Schools" in Albuquerque and Santa Fe were largely about beating the native culture out of Native kids and yes, punishing them for speaking their languages.

c933103

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
c933103 wrote:

That has really only been true since the 1970s or even early 1980s. Visit the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque sometime. The "Indian Schools" in Albuquerque and Santa Fe were largely about beating the native culture out of Native kids and yes, punishing them for speaking their languages.

Is it better to still keep those practice even now than getting rid of them half century ago?

ewt340

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 am

spinotter wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Isn't it great, the people who got invaded now became the invaders themself. Beautiful way of human nature.

The Chinese Empire has exercised suzerainty over Xinjiang since the Han Dynasty some 2000 years ago. Tibet has been under some Mongol and later Chinese control since the Mongol dynasty in the 1200's. How about if we talk about the expansion of Russia to the Pacific, or the extermination of the Native American population by the Europeans then by the United States? Many more Uighurs and Tibetans still are alive now in 2018 than Native Americans, wouldn't you agree?

Oh relax kiddo, they're not the only one. My home country also fall victims to this hypocrisy.

neutrino

Re: CRAIC CR929 discussion thread

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Guess I have to be an unsolicited busybody here.
The last 10 or so posts has sort of meandered into the realm of the rise, wane and shifting boundaries of empires. Please correct course back to the original premise of the thread to prevent the mods from locking it. That said, the discussion can be continued in a new thread should the players so wish to. Thank you and have a nice day.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

spinotter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:58 pm

c933103 wrote:
spinotter wrote:
The Chinese Empire has exercised suzerainty over Xinjiang since the Han Dynasty some 2000 years ago. Tibet has been under some Mongol and later Chinese control since the Mongol dynasty in the 1200's.

If exercising suzerainty signify ownership, does that mean the US own Palau now?
or the extermination of the Native American population by the Europeans then by the United States? Many more Uighurs and Tibetans still are alive now in 2018 than Native Americans, wouldn't you agree?
ExpatVet wrote:

It's easy, claim everywhere you expanded into to be rightfully yours, so the expansion won't be imperialistic. Some European countries tried and failed at that a few decades ago.

spinotter wrote:

I see, so getting all conquerable lands until you face natural barriers in all directions is not imperialistic.

You cannot argue with history. The Han population in Xinjiang is almost equal to the Uighur population in Xinjiang - do you doubt that it will soon be bigger? Han are less in Tibet (8%) - but do you really expect China to let Tibet become independent? I don't know what your nationality is, but every currently existing independent state in existence in 2018 has been through, or is currently part of, an imperialist system, since they all have survived to this point. Painting China as worse than the US, Japan, the UK, France, or Germany is absurd. Why - because they made their final conquests into the 20th century?

spinotter

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm

neutrino wrote:
Guess I have to be an unsolicited busybody here.
The last 10 or so posts has sort of meandered into the realm of the rise, wane and shifting boundaries of empires. Please correct course back to the original premise of the thread to prevent the mods from locking it. That said, the discussion can be continued in a new thread should the players so wish to. Thank you and have a nice day.

Sorry, just saw this - will obey!

hz747300

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 am

I still contend that the until the Chinese majors buy their countryman's planes, these ventures will be fore non-core ASEAN nations, perhaps African nations, and maybe some Latin American ones too. It's fine, but I believe that until these planes prove reliability, supply chain for parts, ease of maintenance, the pickup by mainstream airlines will be slim. I do wish them well, and it would be good if someone can credibly break the duopoly.
Keep on truckin'...

c933103

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 am

spinotter wrote:
c933103 wrote:
spinotter wrote:

ExpatVet wrote:

spinotter wrote:

You cannot argue with history. The Han population in Xinjiang is almost equal to the Uighur population in Xinjiang - do you doubt that it will soon be bigger? Han are less in Tibet (8%) - but do you really expect China to let Tibet become independent? I don't know what your nationality is, but every currently existing independent state in existence in 2018 has been through, or is currently part of, an imperialist system, since they all have survived to this point. Painting China as worse than the US, Japan, the UK, France, or Germany is absurd. Why - because they made their final conquests into the 20th century?

This is getting a bit too unrelated to the CR929 aircraft, however the Han population in Xinjiang is almost equal to the Uighur population because of colonization efforts including the settlement of Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps that are multiple entire cities of paramilitary units being settled within the region to maintain the ratio of Han population within the region. I can't tell how the ratio will turn but the population of both Han and Uighur in the region are decaying due to the pressure being applied onto the area.
If you compares it with other countries, then most other countries have dropped their colonies by now. Just because the colony is closer to your heartland doesn't mean anything different.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos