Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Why UA don't fly IAH to China

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 am

I feel surprised to see UA adding second daily flight between EWR and PVG before launching new flight like IAH-PVG or IAD-PVG. Currently, AA serves PEK/PVG/HKG from DFW and all the routes perform well. As UA is more successful on trans-pacific routes compare to AA. I think UA should have a try.

LHUSA

Re: Why UA don't fly IAH to China

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am

I agree. I feel as though IAH-PVG on a 788 would be a great route and give AA some competition from Texas (and flow) to China. I also feel like UA would have had a better shot at winning the authority over EWR-PVG. I'm guessing they feel EWR-PVG will ultimately be more profitable.

flyingclrs727

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 am

Well if UA doesn't fly IAH to China, I would rather fly foreign airlines out of IAH than connect through the west coast, ORD, or EWR.

eamondzhang

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 am

UA has SFO for the role that the others doesn't have - a huge hub for all the connections. Plus UA has China covered from ORD and EWR (and IAD-PEK) which AA and DL just can't match.

Michael

zakuivcustom

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:12 am

And why should UA fly to China from IAH?

With limited bilateral rights, UA is going to use those rights on routes with higher demand. This means SFO, EWR, and ORD. All 3 are simply larger TPAC market compare to IAH.

Meanwhile, AA has LAX (high demand but also high competition) and (formerly) ORD, but no strong east coast hub for TPAC (PHL doesn’t cut it, CLT has no local demand, MIA is simply too far south). They pick DFW as their 3rd gateway, and make it work with a huge fortress hub there. Keep in mind that AA hub at DFW is quite a bit larger than UA hub at IAH.

Plus, you got CA flying IAH-PEK which cover any mainland Chinese demand. If anything, I see UA flying IAH-PEK on their own metal (perhaps on days that CA doesn’t have a flight) before they will start IAH-PVG.

P.S. MU was rumored, for the longest time, that they will start IAH-PVG someday. Will that ever happen is beyond me.

LH658

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:44 am

UA has code share on Air China flight to PEK, as well as on BR, NH, and SQ flight. If I am correct plus they have there own NRT flight which covers Asia connections as well.

LAXintl

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:29 am

Yes one can say its kinda interesting UA has not offered a link to China or Hong Kong from IAH, while AA up the road has sought to connect all 3 and continues to state one of the drivers is LatAm connecting feed, something UA should have been able to replicate(or even exceed) at IAH.

LH658 wrote:
UA has code share on Air China flight to PEK, as well as on BR, NH, and SQ flight. If I am correct plus they have there own NRT flight which covers Asia connections as well.

UA does not codeshare with BR nor SQ on their IAH flights. With NH obviously, they have a JV with so the flight is essentially a UA flight anyhow.

jayunited

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
I feel surprised to see UA adding second daily flight between EWR and PVG before launching new flight like IAH-PVG or IAD-PVG. Currently, AA serves PEK/PVG/HKG from DFW and all the routes perform well. As UA is more successful on trans-pacific routes compare to AA. I think UA should have a try.

You are comparing two completely different airlines UA has nonstops to China east of the Mississippi River from IAD, EWR, and ORD while AA at DFW is probably dependent on a lot of connecting traffic. It wouldn’t surprise me if AA is routing most traffic east of the Mississippi River to DFW the exception being passengers from PHL, JFK, and BOS are probably being routed to LAX. We need to examine the PDEW data for both DFW and IAH looking at that data might shed some light on why UA hasn’t connected IAH with China. If IAH-China is going to be heavily dependent on connecting traffic I don’t see UA launching the service because UA isn’t going to sacrifice ORD, or IAD - China just to launch IAH-China, it’s better to just send IAH O&D traffic to ORD, LAX, or SFO than siphon connecting traffic away from a flight at another hub.

nomorerjs

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 pm

China is a bloodbath now. CA has IAH-PEK and there are limited slots. If UA could make $ on the route, they wouldn’t be proposing a 2nd EWR flight.

UA, like most non-government controlled / subsidized airlines need to report to shareholders, not anetters. If money was to be made, UA would be flying it.

DFW is not IAH. We don’t know AAs performance there, but there is no competition and it’s obviously not losing as much as ORD was.

LAXdude1023

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 pm

jayunited wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:
We need to examine the PDEW data for both DFW and IAH looking at that data might shed some light on why UA hasn’t connected IAH with China. .

IAH-PEK/PVG are both a lot larger than DFW to the same.

DFW-HKG is bigger than IAH-HKG, but IAH-CAN is larger.

For me as an IAH flyer who frequents Asia and a UA 1k, I don't set foot in SFO, LAX, or ORD if I can avoid it and most times I can. I use the UA flight from IAH-NRT to get where I need. I have no doubt EWR-PVG is much larger, but I also have little doubt that it gets the fare premiums IAH could given the competition.

CA is a last resort for a lot of people unless they are going to PEK itself. Its like the official airline of Houston's Cheese VFR. Business people will use UA, BR, or NH.

At the end of the day, UA is happy to let foreign flags handle the nonstop Asia traffic in Houston. Its something I don't fully understand, but that is what they do.

Frankly, if Houston will be getting anymore destinations in Asia, I doubt it will be from UA. Maybe MU and OZ. Thats allI can see.

LAXdude1023

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes one can say its kinda interesting UA has not offered a link to China or Hong Kong from IAH, while AA up the road has sought to connect all 3 and continues to state one of the drivers is LatAm connecting feed, something UA should have been able to replicate(or even exceed) at IAH.

Funny they have shown no interest in it...

LH658

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Funny they responded by adding SYD from IAH. Though not adding any China destinations.

RyanairGuru

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:22 pm

LH658 wrote:
Funny they responded by adding SYD from IAH. Though not adding any China destinations.

SYD is different in that without SYD-IAH (plus AKL-IAH and SYD-DFW) there are a lot of destinations east of the Rockies that require two stops from Australia/New Zealand, one in LAX/SFO and another in a Central/Eastern hub. Flying from Australia to Texas makes sense as it is currently the furthest east aircraft can realistically fly with an adequate payload, and these routes open up a lot of one-stop connections. From China and other points in Asia there are direct flights to ORD, NYC etc so that traffic flows to Eastern markets can already connect one-stop.

TheKennady2

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:12 am

IAH is to far south to be a true gateway to China or Asia in general, except for Latin America but there is competition from other airports. For a hub like IAH, it makes more sense to let parners fly people to thier hubs and connect them there since connections in IAH are fewer and longer than say ORD for Example. UA can make ORD-CHINA due to strong local/business demand and connecting opportunities.

sonicruiser

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 am

I think IAH-China on UA is a matter of time. With all the expansion United is doing, IAH-PVG in particular is low hanging fruit especially as AA retreats from the market.

LAXdude1023

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 am

[twoid]h[/twoid]
TheKennady2 wrote:
IAH is to far south to be a true gateway to China or Asia in general, except for Latin America but there is competition from other airports. For a hub like IAH, it makes more sense to let parners fly people to thier hubs and connect them there since connections in IAH are fewer and longer than say ORD for Example. UA can make ORD-CHINA due to strong local/business demand and connecting opportunities.

IAH-China is actually quite large.

TheKennady2

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:35 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
[twoid]h[/twoid]
TheKennady2 wrote:

IAH-China is actually quite large.

Im sure it is but UA has Airports like ORD, SFO, and LAX along with BR, CA , and NH serving IAH that can absorb IAH-China as im sure demand is spread out outside of PVG and PEK so connecting at a Asian or US hub can still get IAH passengers to China efficiently. IAH-PVG on UA could work though since CA can connect people at PVG but maybe it would be at the Expense of IAH-PEK? Is O&D IAH-PVG strong? If so someone should be flying it sooner than later.

LH658

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:26 am

CA flights goes from 5 times a week on low season to daily in the summer, so I mean that can tell you the demands. I am sure if it was a daily flight for the past few years, I am sure UA would thought about adding PVG or other Chinese cities to IAH.

MIflyer12

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
there are a lot of destinations east of the Rockies that require two stops from Australia/New Zealand, one in LAX/SFO and another in a Central/Eastern hub.

That's only true of fairly small U.S. destinations, and are Australians/Kiwis really going to those places in numbers, anyway? UA connections east out of SFO, and AA/DL connections east from LAX, are very comprehensive. Check the route maps. It looks like one can hit all of the top 35 U.S. metros in two segments from SYD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos