smi0006

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2018

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 am

aerokiwi wrote:
a320fan wrote:
VA getting grilled today on Social Media over an announced policy to give veterans priority boarding and thank them for their service over the PA. Qantas have refused to do similar simply stating it carried "exceptional people every day", and singling a group out as part of the boarding process would be hard to do. and the head of the Australian Defence Association, called the move "tokenistic" and described it as a manifestation of American culture that was unlikely to translate well in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-05/ ... s/10464592

Their facebook page is getting slammed by negative comments on the announcement, but it seems they have listened with a recent post saying they will take time to speak to community groups about the best way forward. Sounds to me like the half brained idea of some American marketing consultant who didn't take the time to learn the cultural differences between AU and the US.

Good, they deserve to get roasted on this. Absolutely American style nonsense, spearheaded by the abysmal Newscorp, no less. And a classy response by QF. What an idiotic own goal by VA.

Agree and agree, VA has lost its way. This was a cheap publicity stunt to leverage of the vets card and pin. JB has to go ASAP. Sorry but QF once again is more closly aligned with AU cultural norms. I wonder after the PR QF got from ordering up all this strawberries, then the drought relief flights if this wasn’t VA trying to muscle in on some Aussie goodwill- poor judged.

Qantas16

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 am

Solomon Airlines new BNE-Munda service(due to start on 3rd of November) has been postponed to the 1st of December. Unknown reason though likely related to the readiness of MUA airport given it'll be the first time it's handled anything bigger than a Dash-8 100 that I'm aware of!

SYDSpotter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am

a320fan wrote:
VA getting grilled today on Social Media over an announced policy to give veterans priority boarding and thank them for their service over the PA. Qantas have refused to do similar simply stating it carried "exceptional people every day", and singling a group out as part of the boarding process would be hard to do. and the head of the Australian Defence Association, called the move "tokenistic" and described it as a manifestation of American culture that was unlikely to translate well in Australia.

Providing priority boarding and an extra baggage allowance is what US carriers typically do for US serviceman/women, providing similar benefits here would probably not have rocked the boat so much, but the initial suggestion of thanking them for their service over the PA whilst onboard is what is causing so much uproar (and even acknowledged by veteran's groups). If that proposal ever went ahead (i.e. the public announcement onboard), it would IMHO, cheapen and lessen the significance of the historically/culturally significant days such as ANZAC Day/Remembrance Day where the whole nation remembers/acknowledges/thanks those servicemen/women who have served Australia.
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_789

getluv

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:25 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
a320fan wrote:

Providing priority boarding and an extra baggage allowance is what US carriers typically do for US serviceman/women, providing similar benefits here would probably not have rocked the boat so much, but the initial suggestion of thanking them for their service over the PA whilst onboard is what is causing so much uproar (and even acknowledged by veteran's groups). If that proposal ever went ahead (i.e. the public announcement onboard), it would IMHO, cheapen and lessen the significance of the historically/culturally significant days such as ANZAC Day/Remembrance Day where the whole nation remembers/acknowledges/thanks those servicemen/women who have served Australia.

The entire thing was derided including priority boarding for being unAustralian and a virtue signalling stunt.

I believe the government and/or News Corp would have approached other corporate entities for backing as well. They didn’t get much traction at all. VA jumped and completely misread public opinion on this. It was a cheap stunt that will hurt them for a while. Virgin thought it was doing the right thing backing a Murdoch initiative. I mean there were “QF faces pressure to join Virgin” articles already circulating.

What’s worse is that every political persuasion is having an issue with this. The deportation issue is at least 50/50.
You meant lose, not loose.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:08 pm

After yesterday's B1 flight VH-ZNH has positioned PAE-PDX for painting

https://www.flightradar24.com/BOE276/1e7570ae
Forum Moderator

aerokiwi

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 am

Is anyone familiar or heard any scuttlebutt on a potential Tiger rebrand? Have a vague recollection from an article somewhere that the brand is licenced and there was potential for it to be reconsidered by VA.

I ask because if there is a plan to expand Tiger to, say, the Tasman (big IF), I'd imagine they'd want all future branding settled on to avoid having to do a subsequent relaunch.

Then again, given it's no longer used in Asia, perhaps there's no need. I can't imagine it holds much value locally, other than resigned recognition that yes, it is an airline and ugh, I'll fly it if I have to.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 am

Looks like first flight for VH-ZNG has been pushed back to Saturday the 10th, delivery was estimated to be the 13th which obviously wont happen

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19
Forum Moderator

tullamarine

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 am

aerokiwi wrote:
Is anyone familiar or heard any scuttlebutt on a potential Tiger rebrand? Have a vague recollection from an article somewhere that the brand is licenced and there was potential for it to be reconsidered by VA.

I ask because if there is a plan to expand Tiger to, say, the Tasman (big IF), I'd imagine they'd want all future branding settled on to avoid having to do a subsequent relaunch.

Then again, given it's no longer used in Asia, perhaps there's no need. I can't imagine it holds much value locally, other than resigned recognition that yes, it is an airline and ugh, I'll fly it if I have to.

At this stage, JB has said VA has no plans to rebrand TT. Over the past couple of years, TT has improved its image and its performance with a tighter focus on its core business. A rebrand would be an expensive option for no obvious short-term gain.

Having used TT a couple times this year, I have to say it is now a reasonable low-cost alternative and JQ is definitely no better. TT's crew is friendly and keen to please. Of course, it still has all the obvious downsides of LCCs such as limited frequencies, expensive options and pretty onerous check-in and cancellation treatments but compared with the treatment you can expect from Ryanair in Europe or Spirit in US, TT (and JQ) are positively customer-centric.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

aerokiwi

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 am

tullamarine wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

At this stage, JB has said VA has no plans to rebrand TT. Over the past couple of years, TT has improved its image and its performance with a tighter focus on its core business. A rebrand would be an expensive option for no obvious short-term gain.

Having used TT a couple times this year, I have to say it is now a reasonable low-cost alternative and JQ is definitely no better. TT's crew is friendly and keen to please. Of course, it still has all the obvious downsides of LCCs such as limited frequencies, expensive options and pretty onerous check-in and cancellation treatments but compared with the treatment you can expect from Ryanair in Europe or Spirit in US, TT (and JQ) are positively customer-centric.

Thanks, missed that from Borghetti. Tiger has certainly improved since the original incarnation but have had several friends and colleagues fuming about them recently for Friday night cancellations that ruin weekends away... the lack of frequency meaning the next option is usually a Saturday afternoon, rendering the weekend away pointless.

The name itself carries little meaning in Australasia, noting Jetstar's more generic branding. Then again if the tickets are cheap enough you could probably call it "Air Airlines" and people wouldn't care.

Perhaps a project for the new CEO.

Ryanair01

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:51 am

tullamarine wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

I'd have to agree, having taken the plunge to try them out, I was surprised Tiger were pretty good. Limited schedule is weakness though.

a320fan

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:29 am

From an onboard perspective, Tiger have become my go to carrier, and I'd never actually used them prior to this year. I've found the whole experience much more pleasant than JQ. The crew are much better, are presented better and are a lot more approachable with genuine smiles and personality. All the TT cabin crew I've met socially outside of work love their job and their little airline. I honestly have come to hate flying JQ and have found their whole brand to become clinical and the crew cold.

Tigers main problem is the small fleet of 15 spread out over three bases causing them to have little flexibility to recover from delays and causing cancellations, plus their average fleet age now 10 years. All of which is quite likely a contributing factor to their September cancelation rate of 5.3%. Compared to a VA mainline of 1.8% and JQ only at 2.6%, it's quite evident they lag behind the industry in this regard. I do think the opportunity for a rebrand is gone, and I've become quite a fan of the brand over the last 24 months or so, theres some colourful and fun elements in their. There's certainly areas that need improvement, mainly in operations and you do hear negative feedback about the attitudes of in airport customer facing staff (industry wide issue honestly). Surely they can bring their check in cutoff time to 30 minutes like everyone else, They do make it clear they will close strictly at 45 minutes, but if you follow customer complaints on social media it comes up as an issue much more often than on the other airlines.

I hope VA actually does put some focus into brushing up TT over the next year or so, Get some more planes so they have a bit more flexibility, work on the cancellation rate which lags, Ontime Performance is generally on par or better than JQ already. Clean up the airport experience by investing in some next gen check in tech, Self bag drop, try to minimise the dreadful line up that makes it feel 20 years ago (Ryanair can do it TT can). When travelling without bags they already have a good online and mobile checkin system and you can use mobile boarding passes which is very helpful, I love jumping on a flight and not have to worry about anything I wouldn't already be carrying in my pockets.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

ben175

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Heading to Europe next July and on the dates I've selected QF want to charge $28,000 for 2 in J return...

My god they must be making an absolute killing on QF9/10. I know it's peak time, but I've found fares on QR for 1/3 of that price!

log0008

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:50 pm

ben175 wrote:
Heading to Europe next July and on the dates I've selected QF want to charge $28,000 for 2 in J return...

My god they must be making an absolute killing on QF9/10. I know it's peak time, but I've found fares on QR for 1/3 of that price!

Yeah sure seems that way, college was going to book return in December in premium economy originating in Melbourne, ended up getting J tickets with EK for $180 less.

a320fan

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 pm

ben175 wrote:
My god they must be making an absolute killing on QF9/10

Just looked on SkyScanner for some random dates next year ex PER, and it really is a good example to show the non stop premium.

Cheapest option was QR closely followed by SQ, both offering only 55 minute connections.
QF9/10 was about $400 more than QF via SIN.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

a19901213

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 pm

I was on last night’s CX138 to Hong Kong and when we almost taxied to the end of the runway ready for take off we cut it into the middle of runway and make a turn back to the terminal due to an ill passenger.

This passenger did seem not so well to continue flying and no dispute whatsoever but when we actually took off it was past 11pm already.

Just wondering in this situation would there be any penalty imposed on CX for breaking the curfew?

DeltaB717

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:29 pm

a19901213 wrote:
I was on last night’s CX138 to Hong Kong and when we almost taxied to the end of the runway ready for take off we cut it into the middle of runway and make a turn back to the terminal due to an ill passenger.

This passenger did seem not so well to continue flying and no dispute whatsoever but when we actually took off it was past 11pm already.

Just wondering in this situation would there be any penalty imposed on CX for breaking the curfew?

In those kinds of circumstances, it is probable that CX would've sought, and been granted, a curfew dispensation allowing them to depart after curfew. The decision-maker would take other relevant factors into account when considering the request.

brucetiki

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 pm

a320fan wrote:
From an onboard perspective, Tiger have become my go to carrier, and I'd never actually used them prior to this year. I've found the whole experience much more pleasant than JQ. The crew are much better, are presented better and are a lot more approachable with genuine smiles and personality. All the TT cabin crew I've met socially outside of work love their job and their little airline. I honestly have come to hate flying JQ and have found their whole brand to become clinical and the crew cold.

Tigers main problem is the small fleet of 15 spread out over three bases causing them to have little flexibility to recover from delays and causing cancellations, plus their average fleet age now 10 years. All of which is quite likely a contributing factor to their September cancelation rate of 5.3%. Compared to a VA mainline of 1.8% and JQ only at 2.6%, it's quite evident they lag behind the industry in this regard. I do think the opportunity for a rebrand is gone, and I've become quite a fan of the brand over the last 24 months or so, theres some colourful and fun elements in their. There's certainly areas that need improvement, mainly in operations and you do hear negative feedback about the attitudes of in airport customer facing staff (industry wide issue honestly). Surely they can bring their check in cutoff time to 30 minutes like everyone else, They do make it clear they will close strictly at 45 minutes, but if you follow customer complaints on social media it comes up as an issue much more often than on the other airlines.

I hope VA actually does put some focus into brushing up TT over the next year or so, Get some more planes so they have a bit more flexibility, work on the cancellation rate which lags, Ontime Performance is generally on par or better than JQ already. Clean up the airport experience by investing in some next gen check in tech, Self bag drop, try to minimise the dreadful line up that makes it feel 20 years ago (Ryanair can do it TT can). When travelling without bags they already have a good online and mobile checkin system and you can use mobile boarding passes which is very helpful, I love jumping on a flight and not have to worry about anything I wouldn't already be carrying in my pockets.

You're spot on about the customer facing staff at airports - VA are, IMO, worse than TT when it comes to their airport staff, and ZL are notoriously bad in this regard. VA also don't seem to be in any rush to address the poor attitudes of their check-in staff if their social media responses to passenger feedback is anything to go by.

As for the next gen check-in tech/self bag drops, that's something VA lags behind badly in, let alone TT. VA use generic, ADL-supplied automated bag drops at ADL, and don't seem to be in any rush to introduce them at SYD (hence why you end up with 45+ minute queues and a desire to avoid VA at SYD at any cost). If they're being that indifferent to supplying them for VA, TT has no chance of getting anything that isn't airport supplied for a long time unfortunately.

Dan23

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 am

qf789 wrote:
Looks like first flight for VH-ZNG has been pushed back to Saturday the 10th, delivery was estimated to be the 13th which obviously wont happen

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19

It may not be that long...ZNG was out for a taxi test on Tuesday and had a flightplan filed for a B1 but didnt go. Probably safe to assume that will be moved to Wednesday.

Looks like ZNG's name will be a short one so probably Uluru (QF are still having them covered up prior to delivery). The other remaining contenders are Great Barrier Reef and Dreamtime (may have been superseded by Emily Kame Kngwarreye).

vitorborg

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi there, I have been reading this forum for the last few months, but haven’t had the chance to post before.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to QF27 SYD-SCL these last two days.

On 6/Nov, according to FlightAware, QF27 left SYD a solid 5h late and returned to SYD at midnight (7/Nov) following a diversion.

Then on 7/Nov the replacement flight took off around 1pm and eventually diverted to Melbourne.

Is flight aware accurate or am I missing something?

I have friends who were supposed to leave on QF28 from SCL to SYD on the 6th of November and were told they were flying the next day 7/Nov instead.
However, if QF27 on 7/Nov diverted to Melbourne, then they might be stuck for another day...

I’ve flown that route a few times and although the B744 that operate it are a mixed bag in terms of the old and new cabin fitting, a two-consecutive-day diversion is unusual.

Cheers

getluv

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm

@vitorborg: I'm not a fan of "what happened to X flight?" posts but... in this day and age, it sadly made the news. https://www.smh.com.au/national/mechani ... 50eh5.html

It was delayed due to a technical issue and then once the flight took off there was another issue and had to divert to MEL due to the curfew in SYD. QF don't base 747s out of MEL anymore, so this could be contributing to the delays.
You meant lose, not loose.

kriskim

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm

vitorborg wrote:
Hi there, I have been reading this forum for the last few months, but haven’t had the chance to post before.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to QF27 SYD-SCL these last two days.

On 6/Nov, according to FlightAware, QF27 left SYD a solid 5h late and returned to SYD at midnight (7/Nov) following a diversion.

Then on 7/Nov the replacement flight took off around 1pm and eventually diverted to Melbourne.

Is flight aware accurate or am I missing something?

I have friends who were supposed to leave on QF28 from SCL to SYD on the 6th of November and were told they were flying the next day 7/Nov instead.
However, if QF27 on 7/Nov diverted to Melbourne, then they might be stuck for another day...

I’ve flown that route a few times and although the B744 that operate it are a mixed bag in terms of the old and new cabin fitting, a two-consecutive-day diversion is unusual.

Cheers

The aircraft at the moment is being fixed at MEL, QF flew in another 744 into MEL in the afternoon to operate the flight to SCL, took off around 3pm this afternoon I believe.
A world built upon connectivity.

jadawin

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 am

I'm in Brisbane. Last night at around 7pm after a friend noticed a strange aircraft flying over, I checked on flightaware and noticed there were two AN-124 coming from AKL-BNE. Anyone know what they might have been transporting? - AN124s aren't common here in BNE
Thanks

moa999

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 am

Stage equipment for a concert of some unknown female singer.

Four Antonov, 763 and 744F for BNE. Twice given they need to deliver and then collect a week or so later.

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 am

D7 dropping OOL - AKL from February, in what should be a boost to NZ, JQ and VA who operate the route.

Cheers,

C.

QF41

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 am

Vietjet are apparently going to open a Ho Chi Minh to Darwin route with the possibility of it connecting somewhere else in the country.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/business/viet ... f9cad4edb2

Also, Royal Brunei are interested in restarting flights to Darwin.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/business/roya ... e425cb7793
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

ArtV

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 am

QF41 wrote:
Vietjet are apparently going to open a Ho Chi Minh to Darwin route with the possibility of it connecting somewhere else in the country.

Vietjet have visited Australia on a number of occasions, meeting with Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane airports. I didn't understand why they would bother with MEL & SYD in particular as they were unlikely to have any planes capable of reaching those destinations non stop, but this now potentially makes more sense.

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 am

moa999 wrote:
Stage equipment for a concert of some unknown female singer.

Four Antonov, 763 and 744F for BNE. Twice given they need to deliver and then collect a week or so later.

I assume the "unkown female singer" was intended to be sarcastic?

It's for Taylor Swift for those interested in known unknowns.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zkncj

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 am

planemanofnz wrote:
D7 dropping OOL - AKL from February, in what should be a boost to NZ, JQ and VA who operate the route.

NZ937/938 AKL-OOL-AKL appears to be going to an A321NEO from January, so that should help pickup some of the slack? although at times D7 has been selling AKL-OOL between $89-129 so hardly passengers to many airlines would be keen to carry at that price.

qf2048

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:05 am

QANTAS Boeing 737-838 VH-VZR operated a Sydney – Coffs Harbour rotation on 5th Nov as QF1300/QF1301.
Anyone know why? Usually a Q300/Q400 route. Be nice to see 717's on that route.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH

DavidByrne

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 am

planemanofnz wrote:

Time for NZ to introduce WB jets on AKL-OOL (as they have with ADL) in order to offer an all-the-way wide-body service from OOL to North and South America.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Time for NZ to introduce WB jets on AKL-OOL (as they have with ADL) in order to offer an all-the-way wide-body service from OOL to North and South America.

I can think of a former poster on this website who would be salivating at the mere thought of that :wink2:
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

I can think of a former poster on this website who would be salivating at the mere thought of that :wink2:
Worked Hard, Flew Right

QF742

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:55 am

ArtV wrote:
QF41 wrote:

Vietjet have visited Australia on a number of occasions, meeting with Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane airports. I didn't understand why they would bother with MEL & SYD in particular as they were unlikely to have any planes capable of reaching those destinations non stop, but this now potentially makes more sense.

They would need to be selling very low fares to entice people to travel from SYD/MEL to SGN via DRW on an A320... Did JQ operate DRW-SGN when they had the short lived DRW “hub”?

Ellofiend

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

SYD terminal 3 affected by an electrical outage this morning 9:00-13:00, apparently due to water pipe breakage, usual "mayhem across the airport" story

waoz1

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm

QF742 wrote:
ArtV wrote:
QF41 wrote:

They would need to be selling very low fares to entice people to travel from SYD/MEL to SGN via DRW on an A320... Did JQ operate DRW-SGN when they had the short lived DRW “hub”?

Makes it hard via Darwin.
PAL tried it to Perth and that got axed pretty quick.

kriskim

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:10 pm

ArtV wrote:
QF41 wrote:

MEL and SYD have the largest VFR/O&D traffic between Vietnam and Australia so it makes sense given that they are looking at adding some wide-body aircraft to their fleet, mainly some A330's.

But it is interesting to see them fly to both potentially via DRW. Though with JQ and VN already flying non-stop from both MEL and SYD, price would have to be their biggest driver as the market is somewhat price sensitive, but many Vietnamese-Australians prefer the non-stop VN flights who charge crazy prices, 1.5k+ during peak seasons.
A world built upon connectivity.

QF41

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

QF742 wrote:
ArtV wrote:
QF41 wrote:

Yep they did. Along with MNL, SIN and DPS. Only SIN and DPS remain.
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

SCFlyer

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 pm

QF41 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
ArtV wrote:

Yep they did. Along with MNL, SIN and DPS. Only SIN and DPS remain.

SIN flights got transferred to 3K planes/crew a few years ago. DPS is the remaining JQ route.

oskarclare

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:31 pm

QF41 wrote:

https://www.ntnews.com.au/business/viet ... f9cad4edb2

Also, Royal Brunei are interested in restarting flights to Darwin.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/business/roya ... e425cb7793

Believe it will be a SGN-DRW-BNE routing that will start next year due to VJ not being able to start BNE nonstop

waoz1

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 am

Some issues for the Perth Airport rail link
Sink holes are starting to open up along the project, which isnt a good thing when it will be tunnelling under the main runway and under T3/T4

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/transp ... 881010809z

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:21 am

Forum Moderator

zkncj

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:51 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Would OOL-AKL really have much demand for PE and J? surely its more just an Y market, mainly with budget New Zealand holiday makers going to the GC.

The Y seat count on the 321NEO (214Y) isn't to different to the 777/787s in Y e.g.
77E - 246Y
77W - 244Y
789V1 - 263Y
789V2- 215Y

tullamarine

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

People who are flying to North America from OOL via AKL are unlikely to be premium pax so I don't know if the availability of J & W is much benefit. Premium pax are more likely to drive the one hour to BNE where direct services with QF, VA and AC across the Pacific are available.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

SCFlyer

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

As the other posters said earlier, wouldn't OOL be too low yielding? (As described by others, mostly Tourism with a limited amount of VFR)
to support a NZ WB with J and W.

If OOL needs the extra capacity, the all Y A321neo with the LCC BoB service may suffice.

Dan23

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 am

waoz1 wrote:
Sink holes are starting to open up along the project, which isnt a good thing when it will be tunnelling under the main runway and under T3/T4

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. There has been one sink hole outside the airport boundary and an incidence of a depression forming in the ground hundreds of metres from the airfield. The TBM's wont be going under T3/T4, just the apron to the south. One machine has already passed below the runway/taxiway area and the other is passing under as we speak. Based on their sources, some of the claims in that article should be taken with a grain of salt.

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 am

SCFlyer wrote:
As the other posters said earlier, wouldn't OOL be too low yielding?

Same could be said for places like APW and RAR, which see NZ widebodies.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:39 am

Looks like PX has leased an Icelandair 757 (likely to cover maintenance on its 767 fleet or the 737 that crashed)... TF-LLX currently operating PX1 POM-SYD.

qf002

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Same could be said for places like APW and RAR, which see NZ widebodies.

That's for freight capacity.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 am

Dan23 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. There has been one sink hole outside the airport boundary and an incidence of a depression forming in the ground hundreds of metres from the airfield. The TBM's wont be going under T3/T4, just the apron to the south. One machine has already passed below the runway/taxiway area and the other is passing under as we speak. Based on their sources, some of the claims in that article should be taken with a grain of salt.

Regardless on whether its an exaggeration or not Perth Airport are concerned about these developments and are having to manage runway usage, for this month the first 2 week's it is mainly 6/24 being used and the last 2 weeks 3/21 will be used instead. The runway usage has had to be managed like this for quite a period of time now. Runway 24 is quite the pain for departures as aircraft have a tendency to stack up particularly around the afternoon rush hour.
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 am

Dan23 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

In addition they have now found contaminated soil which is stacked up around Forrestfield rail line to be removed at some stage. Believe thats from old fire fighting chemicals.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more sink holes the whole area is marsh and swamp.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos