Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Future of OneWorld Carriers in Seattle/Portland Airports (2019 & Onwards)

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:06 pm

We have to acknowledge that it’s currently weak with only AA (plus BA) accounting ~5% of annual passengers carried. However this will change with JL and CX both announcing service starting early 2019. QF is also rumored to be considering SEA.

My question is around the fact that Alaska as the Hub carrier for both airports will expand corporation with these new carriers and American will likely provide feed as well. What kind of coverage will we get from Oneworld carriers in the future in the PNW? Will AS further expand cooperation with this alliance which I personally think is inevitable? 2019 will surely be an interesting year in that region!

Eirules

Re: Future of OneWorld Carriers in Seattle/Portland Airports (2019 & Onwards)

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm

As of next year EI will likely be in the transatlantic joint venture with OneWorld membership likely to follow. EI already offer connections onto AS in SEA & LAX and if UA are dropped as a connector I can only see this grow

RainerBoeing777

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Possibly services arrive at SEA from Finnair, Qantas, Qantas and Qatar Airways.

On the PDX side I can potentially see Japan Airlines, another option may be Cathay Pacific. Aer Lingus also sees it coming to PDX in the near future

flyoregon

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Possibly services arrive at SEA from Finnair, Qantas, Qantas and Qatar Airways.

On the PDX side I can potentially see Japan Airlines, another option may be Cathay Pacific. Aer Lingus also sees it coming to PDX in the near future

I agree with JAL if Delta drops NRT, and I could see Cathay doing something. Where did you read/hear Aer Lingus want to come to Portland?

MIflyer12

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Overthecascades wrote:
What kind of coverage will we get from Oneworld carriers in the future in the PNW? Will AS further expand cooperation with this alliance which I personally think is inevitable? 2019 will surely be an interesting year in that region!

It isn't. Alaska had partnerships with Delta, Aeromexico, Air France and KLM all at the same time and didn't join SkyTeam. Where did you see 'Feed international carriers' as a primary strategy in its marketing plans post-merger?

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Overthecascades wrote:
What kind of coverage will we get from Oneworld carriers in the future in the PNW? Will AS further expand cooperation with this alliance which I personally think is inevitable? 2019 will surely be an interesting year in that region!

It isn't. Alaska had partnerships with Delta, Aeromexico, Air France and KLM all at the same time and didn't join SkyTeam. Where did you see 'Feed international carriers' as a primary strategy in its marketing plans post-merger?

Oh it was spelt out as one of the strategies post merger. I’m surprised you asked. The merger makes AS so much more relevant as a feed to international routes in the west coast markets.

tphuang

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Given that all of DL's JV partners are cutting ties with AS, it seems like a good chunk of AS's code sharing partners are OneWorld airlines.

master14225

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:28 pm

If this is about SEA and PDX, add YVR to it too

jbpdx

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Future of OneWorld at PDX? Status quo—or worse. American only does PDX-PHL for about 9 weeks in summer. And they don’t even connect PDX to their MIA Caribbean/South America hub.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos