Aircellist

Re: Air Canada Summer 2019 long-haul changes

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Aircellist wrote:
It will be interesting to watch the competition in the coming years, over French province cities, between AC with the 7M8 and TS with the A321LR. WS is not in the game, for whichever reason.

But wouldn’t that be limited to NTE and LIL? The other cities are out of these type’s range, no?

Just from another thread I found an information that TS is about to cover France with its A321LR. Honestly, I don't know enough about the 7M8's range to comment, but I believe it can most probably do about the same.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... rk-in-s19/
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Aircellist wrote:
It will be interesting to watch the competition in the coming years, over French province cities, between AC with the 7M8 and TS with the A321LR. WS is not in the game, for whichever reason.

But wouldn’t that be limited to NTE and LIL? The other cities like TLS, MRS, BSL, SXB are out of these type’s range, no?

On AC's site, it is said the MAX have a range og 6,510km, which maked roughly 3,519nm.

On GCmap you get the following distances: YUL to BSL 3,207nm; LIL 2,969nm; MRS 3,251nm; NCE 3,318nm; NTE 2,891nm; SXB 3,182nm. Upcoming YUL-BOD is 2,988nm. Of course these numbers don't represent real time operations but give an idea of the distances versus the aircraft's range displayed by the airline.

ro1960

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Aircellist wrote:
Just from another thread I found an information that TS is about to cover France with its A321LR. Honestly, I don't know enough about the 7M8's range to comment, but I believe it can most probably do about the same.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... rk-in-s19/

Thanks for the info. So MRS, NTE, NCE, TLS, BSL are within the A321LR range but so far no competition from AC or WS on these routes then?
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

whywhyzee

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:47 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:
Betting that YVR-DUB goes 333. That’s 4x weekly so the remainder might just be added frequencies to another destination.

Are the upcoming A333s any different than the current one?

SuperTwin wrote:
Isn’t YUL-TLV still just 2x weekly? Maybe there?

Yes, operated with a 788 from the end of the month.

The 4 new ones are ex SQ and TP, slightly higher MTOW I believe.

ro1960

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:53 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Aircellist wrote:

But wouldn’t that be limited to NTE and LIL? The other cities like TLS, MRS, BSL, SXB are out of these type’s range, no?

On AC's site, it is said the MAX have a range og 6,510km, which maked roughly 3,519nm.

On GCmap you get the following distances: YUL to BSL 3,207nm; LIL 2,969nm; MRS 3,251nm; NCE 3,318nm; NTE 2,891nm; SXB 3,182nm. Upcoming YUL-BOD is 2,988nm. Of course these numbers don't represent real time operations but give an idea of the distances versus the aircraft's range displayed by the airline.

It may be a bit tight for the westbound flights on some of the destinations. TS is going to use the A321LR (which has roughly a 4,000 nmi range) to these cities. I wonder what will be AC's response.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm

ro1960 wrote:
It may be a bit tight for the westbound flights on some of the destinations. TS is going to use the A321LR (which has roughly a 4,000 nmi range) to these cities. I wonder what will be AC's response.

True and I wonder which of BSL or SXB would they choose IF they were to start flying in that part of Europe. Would BSL be too close to ZRH or SXB not good enough traffic wise due to high speed rail link to Paris, not to forget it's runway of only 2,400m/ 7,874ft.

ro1960

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

True and I wonder which of BSL or SXB would they choose IF they were to start flying in that part of Europe. Would BSL be too close to ZRH or SXB not good enough traffic wise due to high speed rail link to Paris, not to forget it's runway of only 2,400m/ 7,874ft.

All other cities have except NCE and TLS have competitive high-speed rail links to Paris. So I doubt this would play a role in picking one or the other. They have similar urban areas (around 800K inhabitants). BSL has far more destinations and traffic than SXB. KE opened a weekly flight to ICN and there is this new Swiss airline that is supposed to be based there so it may have more potential.

leftcoast8

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Can AC support year-round daily YVR-DEL during the hot season (May-June) and monsoon (until end of September)? I thought those were the low seasons when leisure travel to India drops off a cliff. On the other hand, whole families will travel together to India, and this is also the time at least in Canada when children aren't in school.

Meaningless aside: A few months ago I was at YVR to meet a relative on the Delta flight from Minneapolis, so I happened to see passengers coming from China Southern's CAN-YVR-MEX red-eye (which arrived around the same time). And a lot of them were Indian. During other trips to the airport, I've also seen Indian passengers at the China Airlines and KLM check-in counters. Although a sample size of three is hardly statistically significant, I surmised that Vancouver-India pax prefer non-direct flights with CAN, TPE and AMS being popular connecting hubs among others.

Dominion301

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 pm

yow2den wrote:
What about YOW to LHR/FRA? Are those going to upgraded to 788s / A333s or downgraded to the MAXs once the 763 is finally retired?

I’d guess, in spite of the non-optimal use of the aircraft, they’ll go 788 (or maybe even 789) unless YYZ becomes a 333 base again.

Too much J class government traffic for YOW’s current transatlantic routes to get downgauged to the MAX and on the 763 loads were north of 90% this summer. Also, FRA is probably out of YOW-FRA range, especially in winter, which is too bad considering it would be perfect for restoring the route to year-round service.

As said earlier in the thread, a summer-seasonal YOW-CDG on the 7M8 would make total sense. If WS can fill a MAX out of YHZ to CDG, with +3 times the population and +50 times the Francophone population, surely YOW can.

sixtyseven

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
I didn't see watch the news stories about Air Canada's incident, but I did witness one of them right out my window and was in the FAA safety meetings about them, does that count, too?

I base what I said on a lot more than news stories, more like what I hear from friends flying/working there(including one at the Operations Centere), articles about issues within the company, articles regarding their issues with competition over the last few years, research on their ancient fatigue policies, labor issues, their poor safety record over the last 3 years(look it up, a LOT more than the 2 SFO incidents), and many other sources rather than condescending to strangers who's lives I have no idea about on the internet. But regardless of profits and load factors, I'd say Air Canada is having problems...you should see what I see on a daily basis with their SFO operation. Yikes.

If you do not agree, that is fine, but the major US airlines haven't had so many blunders since the Air Canada crash, I mean, "hard landing" in Halifax. Funny that Canadian pilots on the related career forums are certain AC is headed for a fatal accident should nothing change, but here on A.net it's sunshine and rainbows.

Now let’s break this down a bit. Can you expand on the problems concerning competition and perhaps enlighten us all how competition is something that only concerns AC? Boy the US3 must have it made in the shade. No worries of competition. What was that plea to congress not so long ago complaining about the ME3 again?

Articles about issues within the company? Expand please. I’m an employee I’d like to know; apparently you’re quite a source. Pretty vague. Is it cold coffee in the break room or is it this upcoming fatality that I’ll get to in a second.

Ancient fatigue regulations? I didn’t realize AC was also the national regulator.

Labor issues? AC has the best labor climate likely in its history now. Perhaps the labor plight of the hub carrier at SFO is bleeding into your thoughts. Somebody bitching to you on a coffee break doesn’t make me think we’re heading down some road to perdition labor wise.

As to what you see with the SFO operation. Again what is your implication here? What does “Yikes” imply? Sounds terribly serious. Or are you talking about something like OTP? Seat dupes? Expand! I’m all ears. Was it them being parked at a gate and getting run into by another aircraft? Was that the “yikes”?

listening to some off hand, third hand comments and using it on here to back a point is whatever. But when you bring up incidents like the public ones and say there have been A LOT more than the those incidents you should probably mention them or you just sound like some old Betty in a hair salon making gossip. You say you were in on the FAA safety meetings? If you’re sitting on a safety related committee of some import I would think airing a 3rd parties dirty laundry on a forum would likely go against, at the very least, the spirit of the committee. Generally people on these sorts of things are on them to progress the industry, not to use the info as gossip currency.

As for pilots in some discussion board projecting a fatality. Are they anonymous? Because being an AC pilot myself if I had such a concern, and I’d say a fatality would be a massive concern, I doubt the place I’d bring such worries up would be some on line gab board. Id probably send it up an appropriate chain. Some guy tisk-tisking things on a forum about future doom probably isnt worried about his operation. No sir. Someone else is going to plough one in, but not him. Sounds like soapbox BS to me.

Enjoy your day.

I'm not getting into any of that on the interwebs, I stated what I stated, mostly because it's pretty funny when someone makes a comment to me about getting my aviation knowledge from local news stories. Be nice to people online. I don't care if your opinion differs. I don't care to derail threads on this site, and I don't care to tell you about myself, just assume people online have backgrounds to form their statements and leave it at that. All I care about is the idea of Air Canada ever playing with 5th freedom routes in this changing game where we see 737s in Norwegian colors in places like MKE. They flew 747s out of CLE in the past to Europe, but apparently why some stranger on the internet thinks Air Canada is having issues is more interesting.

And you guys wonder why people that are actually involved in this industry and can share a lot of intel leave. Let's not be like that, no Air Canada SFO stories for you now. But if you're an AC pilot, I'm sure you know all about it anyway. :)

Really? That’s your response? You crap all over AC and say it’s just your opinion. Make wild statements and then say “Its really just about the fifth freedom rights”

That’s like rolling a hand grenade into a party and then saying “I just wanted to talk about the dip.”

Mr FAA safety guy. Yeahhhh surrre.

Oh I almost forgot.

“Yikes”
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

EChid

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:49 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Now let’s break this down a bit. Can you expand on the problems concerning competition and perhaps enlighten us all how competition is something that only concerns AC? Boy the US3 must have it made in the shade. No worries of competition. What was that plea to congress not so long ago complaining about the ME3 again?

Articles about issues within the company? Expand please. I’m an employee I’d like to know; apparently you’re quite a source. Pretty vague. Is it cold coffee in the break room or is it this upcoming fatality that I’ll get to in a second.

Ancient fatigue regulations? I didn’t realize AC was also the national regulator.

Labor issues? AC has the best labor climate likely in its history now. Perhaps the labor plight of the hub carrier at SFO is bleeding into your thoughts. Somebody bitching to you on a coffee break doesn’t make me think we’re heading down some road to perdition labor wise.

As to what you see with the SFO operation. Again what is your implication here? What does “Yikes” imply? Sounds terribly serious. Or are you talking about something like OTP? Seat dupes? Expand! I’m all ears. Was it them being parked at a gate and getting run into by another aircraft? Was that the “yikes”?

listening to some off hand, third hand comments and using it on here to back a point is whatever. But when you bring up incidents like the public ones and say there have been A LOT more than the those incidents you should probably mention them or you just sound like some old Betty in a hair salon making gossip. You say you were in on the FAA safety meetings? If you’re sitting on a safety related committee of some import I would think airing a 3rd parties dirty laundry on a forum would likely go against, at the very least, the spirit of the committee. Generally people on these sorts of things are on them to progress the industry, not to use the info as gossip currency.

As for pilots in some discussion board projecting a fatality. Are they anonymous? Because being an AC pilot myself if I had such a concern, and I’d say a fatality would be a massive concern, I doubt the place I’d bring such worries up would be some on line gab board. Id probably send it up an appropriate chain. Some guy tisk-tisking things on a forum about future doom probably isnt worried about his operation. No sir. Someone else is going to plough one in, but not him. Sounds like soapbox BS to me.

Enjoy your day.

I'm not getting into any of that on the interwebs, I stated what I stated, mostly because it's pretty funny when someone makes a comment to me about getting my aviation knowledge from local news stories. Be nice to people online. I don't care if your opinion differs. I don't care to derail threads on this site, and I don't care to tell you about myself, just assume people online have backgrounds to form their statements and leave it at that. All I care about is the idea of Air Canada ever playing with 5th freedom routes in this changing game where we see 737s in Norwegian colors in places like MKE. They flew 747s out of CLE in the past to Europe, but apparently why some stranger on the internet thinks Air Canada is having issues is more interesting.

And you guys wonder why people that are actually involved in this industry and can share a lot of intel leave. Let's not be like that, no Air Canada SFO stories for you now. But if you're an AC pilot, I'm sure you know all about it anyway. :)

Really? That’s your response? You crap all over AC and say it’s just your opinion. Make wild statements and then say “Its really just about the fifth freedom rights”

That’s like rolling a hand grenade into a party and then saying “I just wanted to talk about the dip.”

Oh I almost forgot.

“Yikes”

I agree. If there is anything I've learned on this forum it's that you can't make statements without backing them up. So, out of curiosity I researched. I searched for evidence of an increased AC incidents relative of other airlines, beyond those mentioned at SFO (which are being investigated, and will need to changes if need be) and I found...nothing. No articles, no data. Just drama about SFO. So, all I'm hearing is anecdotal evidence, and that just doesn't stand up.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

EChid

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:
Betting that YVR-DUB goes 333. That’s 4x weekly so the remainder might just be added frequencies to another destination.

SuperTwin wrote:
Isn’t YUL-TLV still just 2x weekly? Maybe there?

And, presumably, they'll be first to get the new interiors, since those new A333s will all presently have angled J in them.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

B752OS

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 am

Does YYZ have a lot of space to handle a large uptick in flights?

whywhyzee

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:11 am

EChid wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:

And, presumably, they'll be first to get the new interiors, since those new A333s will all presently have angled J in them.

All the A333s will be getting retrofitted to the 787/777 J seat, which is generally preferred and actually more space efficient, along with the new livery.

whywhyzee

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:13 am

B752OS wrote:

Not much, off peak times there may be a little, but it's tight. They are currently expanding.

B752OS

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:17 am

whywhyzee wrote:
B752OS wrote:

Not much, off peak times there may be a little, but it's tight. They are currently expanding.

How big of an expansion?

whywhyzee

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:49 am

B752OS wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
B752OS wrote:

How big of an expansion?

Extensive, but slowly. It's going to gradually grow, and increase capacity to just above 80 million annually, should see it completed over the course of the next decade or so.

EChid

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:22 am

whywhyzee wrote:
EChid wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

All the A333s will be getting retrofitted to the 787/777 J seat, which is generally preferred and actually more space efficient, along with the new livery.

Yes, I know. I was merely saying that the new ones would be the first. AC can afford to run the current herringbones a bit longer, but they can't very well put pax in SQ's old angled flat regional J layout.

sixtyseven

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 am

EChid wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

Oh I almost forgot.

“Yikes”

I agree. If there is anything I've learned on this forum it's that you can't make statements without backing them up. So, out of curiosity I researched. I searched for evidence of an increased AC incidents relative of other airlines, beyond those mentioned at SFO (which are being investigated, and will need to changes if need be) and I found...nothing. No articles, no data. Just drama about SFO. So, all I'm hearing is anecdotal evidence, and that just doesn't stand up.

Hey I get it anyone can have an opinion but when you start talking about safety, some wild statement about worries internally of fatalities I take huge exception. Because it’s pure lies and that’s not something anyone in the industry says about anyone. Especially someone who claims to have some sort of safety link.

Pure speculative nonsense by a drama queen.

Chasensfo

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am

sixtyseven wrote:

You said it yourself, so no need for further explanation. Who am I to have any insight to airline ops and safety? Nobody, obviously. :)

And obviously, an Air Canada plane didn't land in YYZ after ignoring several go around calls a few weeks after the latest SFO incidents. As my source is an imaginary meeting.

sixtyseven

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 am

Chasensfo wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

You said it yourself, so no need for further explanation. Who am I to have any insight to airline ops and safety? Nobody, obviously. :)

And obviously, an Air Canada plane didn't land in YYZ after ignoring several go around calls a few weeks after the latest SFO incidents. As my source is an imaginary meeting.

YYZ eh? It was SFO genius. The entire world knew this as it made all the papers. If this is your safety “insight” you’re a day late and a dollar short.

runway23

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:37 am

ro1960 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

LIL and NTE easily doable on 7M8 seeing they are similar distances to BOD.

MRS is already rouge. SXB or BSL could probably be 7M8 with a few seats blocked or operated by RV. TS does BSL 2x weekly and that is going 321neo next summer, AC could start with 2/3 weekly frequencies.

I do wonder if LUX couldn’t possibly also be started with 2/3 weekly 7M8 frequencies. It is a thin market but also serves untapped parts of France.

ro1960

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:58 pm

runway23 wrote:
LIL and NTE easily doable on 7M8 seeing they are similar distances to BOD.

MRS is already rouge. SXB or BSL could probably be 7M8 with a few seats blocked or operated by RV. TS does BSL 2x weekly and that is going 321neo next summer, AC could start with 2/3 weekly frequencies.

TS seems to have an advantage over AC to BSL, MRS, NCE. AC may have some penalty if they were to use the 7M8. Either fuel stop or lower load on the Westbound flights.

runway23 wrote:
I do wonder if LUX couldn’t possibly also be started with 2/3 weekly 7M8 frequencies. It is a thin market but also serves untapped parts of France.

It doesn't look like LUX has any passenger long haul service (not sure). Thin market indeed even with the catchment area reaching out to France, Germany and Belgium

PerfectGriffin

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:21 pm

What about increasing DXB to 5x daily this winter?

Noise

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

YUL-OSL now possible with 7M8.

YUL-CPH may be a tad too far.

whywhyzee

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:49 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
What about increasing DXB to 5x daily this winter?

DXB is going up to 4x weekly.

720B

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Air Canada rouge will increase Bogota to daily (up from 5x weekly), starting in March 2019 (link in Spanish only)

https://www.aviacol.net/noticias/air-ca ... agena.html

Thomaas

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:50 pm

720B wrote:
Air Canada rouge will increase Bogota to daily (up from 5x weekly), starting in March 2019 (link in Spanish only)

Was actually supposed to go daily in December, wonder if the delay is cause by overhead bin refits.

sixtyseven

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Thomaas wrote:
720B wrote:

Was actually supposed to go daily in December, wonder if the delay is cause by overhead bin refits.

Is it bins or wifi? Or they doing both at the same time?

EChid

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Noise wrote:
YUL-OSL now possible with 7M8

Now that'd be cool.

runway23

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 pm

ro1960 wrote:
TS seems to have an advantage over AC to BSL, MRS, NCE. AC may have some penalty if they were to use the 7M8. Either fuel stop or lower load on the Westbound flights.

MRS and NCE are already served by RV. Not quite sure what advantage TS have over AC/RV to those destinations.

BSL remains to be seen whether AC will ever launch it as ZRH is so close and LX might veto such a route. TS is only 2x weekly to BSL so not like they have a huge advantage there either. Part of AC’s strategy may be to kick TS off some of the French routes.

CFM565A1

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 am

sixtyseven wrote:
EChid wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Oh I almost forgot.

“Yikes”

Hey I get it anyone can have an opinion but when you start talking about safety, some wild statement about worries internally of fatalities I take huge exception. Because it’s pure lies and that’s not something anyone in the industry says about anyone. Especially someone who claims to have some sort of safety link.

Verbal compost on his part...
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

Chasensfo

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 am

sixtyseven wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
YYZ eh? It was SFO genius. The entire world knew this as it made all the papers. If this is your safety “insight” you’re a day late and a dollar short.

YYZ was a 3rd incident. Just over 2 months ago, just not all over the press, but surely accessible to those in AC flight ops. :)

Chasensfo

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm just going to leave this right here:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/rd.aspx?cno%3d2018O2272%26dtef%3d%26dtet%3d2018-10-08%26otp%3d-1%26ftop%3d%253e%253d%26ftno%3d0%26ijop%3d%253e%253d%26ijno%3d0%26olc%3d%26prv%3d-1%26rgn%3d-1%26tsbno%3d%26tsbi%3d-1%26arno%3d%26ocatno%3d%26ocatop%3d1%26oevtno%3d%26oevtop%3d1%26evtacoc%3d3%26fltno%3d%26fltr%3d-1%26cars%3d-1%26acat%3d-1%26nar%3d%26aiddl%3d-1%26aidxt%3d%26optdl%3d-1%26optcomt%3d%26optseq%3d%26optxt%3d%26opdlxt%3dResults%2bwill%2bappear%2bin%2bthis%2blist%26mkdl%3d-1%26mkxt%3d%26mdldl%3d-1%26mdlxt%3d%26cmkdl%3dC%26cmkxt%3d%26rt%3dQR%26hypl%3dy%26cnum%3d2018O2272

An Air Canada Airbus A321-211 (ACA150) from Calgary Int'l, AB (CYYC) to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Int'l, ON (CYYZ) on short final to Runway 06L was instructed to go around due to previous arrival not expected to be off active runway. ACA150 did not acknowledge instruction and landed. The pilot claimed to hear the aircraft call sign and nothing else.

Because when I'm on final and I hear my callsign(but all I caught was the callsign), I just keep plugging along and don't bother to ask ATC what they wanted. But of course when I fly around for fun in my lowly GA planes, there isn't another professional pilot next to me to double check, either. :) But luckily in both this incident and the SFO incident, the other traffic was clear of the runway safety area even though ATC did not think they were, so there was no accident.

Funny that someone who flies for Air Canada didn't hear about that but some drama queen did at an imaginary meeting. You all have a right to your opinion, but I see a trend at AC, and if I flew there, I'd be both embarrassed and concerned. Personally I think fatigue issues are at the forefront, I am not implying at all that the pilots of Air Canada are unprofessional or inept in any way. Not that my opinion matters of course. :)

whywhyzee

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:00 am

It's great to point out their faults, and actually having worked in aviation safety, I can tell you airlines take this stuff really seriously, but to be fair, who is to say that AC is the only carrier to have these problems. I can tell you for certain that this is the reality of aviation, our goal as operators isn't to avoid every possible mistake (impossible), it is to mitigate them wherever possible, and look to prevent preconditions for error from developing.

ro1960

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 am

runway23 wrote:
MRS and NCE are already served by RV. Not quite sure what advantage TS have over AC/RV to those destinations.

BSL remains to be seen whether AC will ever launch it as ZRH is so close and LX might veto such a route. TS is only 2x weekly to BSL so not like they have a huge advantage there either. Part of AC’s strategy may be to kick TS off some of the French routes.

I meant that the 7M8 having a shorter range than the A321LR, AC will/would have to use the older 767 type on the longest routes (MRS, NCE, BSL) whereas TS can use a more fuel efficient aircraft.

Thomaas

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am

ro1960 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I meant that the 7M8 having a shorter range than the A321LR, AC will/would have to use the older 767 type on the longest routes (MRS, NCE, BSL) whereas TS can use a more fuel efficient aircraft.

It’s hard to beat a fully depreciated 282-seat 767, even with a much more fuel efficient aircraft. The advantage that TS has is the smaller size of the aircraft, which should allow them to offer more frequency than AC although the connection opportunities are quite limited.

ro1960

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Thomaas wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

It’s hard to beat a fully depreciated 282-seat 767, even with a much more fuel efficient aircraft. The advantage that TS has is the smaller size of the aircraft, which should allow them to offer more frequency than AC although the connection opportunities are quite limited.

You are right but the bottom line is that TS has a more pertinent aircraft for these routes (range, efficiency and capacity).

sixtyseven

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Chasensfo wrote:

Because when I'm on final and I hear my callsign(but all I caught was the callsign), I just keep plugging along and don't bother to ask ATC what they wanted. But of course when I fly around for fun in my lowly GA planes, there isn't another professional pilot next to me to double check, either. :) But luckily in both this incident and the SFO incident, the other traffic was clear of the runway safety area even though ATC did not think they were, so there was no accident.

Funny that someone who flies for Air Canada didn't hear about that but some drama queen did at an imaginary meeting. You all have a right to your opinion, but I see a trend at AC, and if I flew there, I'd be both embarrassed and concerned. Personally I think fatigue issues are at the forefront, I am not implying at all that the pilots of Air Canada are unprofessional or inept in any way. Not that my opinion matters of course. :)[/quote

Relying on CADORS to support your axe grinding session?

You could do this with any airline. Hundreds of thousands of flights and there are going to be altitude busts, runway incursions, GNEs, etc. It’s a dynamic business and humans make errors. We pros realize this and we study them and learn from them. We don’t use other companies errors as a way to beat them down. We learn. The fact you use it to beat your drum proves to me youre a total amateur.

We are not embarrassed. Concerned? We’re concerned with safety all of the time. We’re professionals.

Embarassed? I’d be embarassed for someone talking about a subject as important as flight safety whilst using emojis of all things.

Dominion301

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Here's the press release for YVR: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 21811.html

Confirmed that DEL is going year-round.

Flightsimboy

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:56 pm

LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

matt

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:37 pm

I have a question regarding the use of the 450-seat 777-300ER (77WP) for the peak summer season 2019.

For the moment, the 77WP is slated to be used on the following routes/flights:

AC880/AC881 YYZ-CDG/CDG-YYZ(daily)
AC890/AC891 YYZ-FCO/FCO-YYZ (daily)
AC884/AC871 YUL-CDG/CDG-YUL (daily)
AC892/AC893 YUL-FCO/FCO-YUL (daily) new
AC007/AC008 YVR-HKG/HKG-YVR (daily)
AC029/AC030 YVR-PEK/PEK-YVR (daily)
plus
AC106 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC126 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC103 YYZ-YVR (daily)
AC123 YYZ-YVR (daily)

Currently, AC has seven 777-300ERs in the 450-seat configuration (77WP). With the above-listed routes, seven frames are not enough. Does anyone know if AC plans on converting one more 777-300ER to the 450-seat configuration between now and summer 2019? Perhaps one of these routes will be flown by a 400-seat 777-300ER, which would solve the problem.

Any insights?
Next flights: YQM-YUL-MIA-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-FRA-MLA-FRA-YUL-YQM

whywhyzee

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm

matt wrote:
I have a question regarding the use of the 450-seat 777-300ER (77WP) for the peak summer season 2019.

plus
AC106 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC126 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC103 YYZ-YVR (daily)
AC123 YYZ-YVR (daily)

Currently, AC has seven 777-300ERs in the 450-seat configuration (77WP). With the above-listed routes, seven frames are not enough. Does anyone know if AC plans on converting one more 777-300ER to the 450-seat configuration between now and summer 2019? Perhaps one of these routes will be flown by a 400-seat 777-300ER, which would solve the problem.

Any insights?

I would imagine they would pull the frame from one of the YYZ-YVR turns, it can easily be replaced by a narrow body.

The 400 seat fleet is pretty busy, I reckon they could actually use another.

Summer schedule for 2019 sees the 400 seater on:

YYZ-LHR 3x daily
YYZ-FRA daily
YYZ-CPH daily
YYZ-ICN daily
YYZ-HND daily
YYZ-PVG daily
YYZ-PEK daily

That is 9x flights, out of the 12 frames available, accounting for the fact that ICN, PVG, HND, and PEK take more than 24 hours for a rotation, that is the max the fleet can sustain by my back of the napkin calculations.

In addition, the 77L fleet will be stretched pretty thin, with YYC-FRA daily, YYZ-FRA daily (likely to see frames doing YYZ-FRA-YYC-FRA-YYZ rotations), YYZ-HKG daily and YYZ-YVR-SYD daily.

Not much slack in the 777 fleet at all.

matt

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:

plus
AC106 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC126 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC103 YYZ-YVR (daily)
AC123 YYZ-YVR (daily)

Any insights?

I would imagine they would pull the frame from one of the YYZ-YVR turns, it can easily be replaced by a narrow body.

YYZ-LHR 3x daily
YYZ-FRA daily
YYZ-CPH daily
YYZ-ICN daily
YYZ-HND daily
YYZ-PVG daily
YYZ-PEK daily

That is 9x flights, out of the 12 frames available, accounting for the fact that ICN, PVG, HND, and PEK take more than 24 hours for a rotation, that is the max the fleet can sustain by my back of the napkin calculations.

In addition, the 77L fleet will be stretched pretty thin, with YYC-FRA daily, YYZ-FRA daily (likely to see frames doing YYZ-FRA-YYC-FRA-YYZ rotations), YYZ-HKG daily and YYZ-YVR-SYD daily.

Pulling one frame from the YVR-YYZ turns would make perfect sense, indeed. And the 77L is streched pretty thin!

Regarding the 12 400-seat 777-300ERs, I believe YYZ-PVG will be operated with the 789 and that YVR-PVG will use the 77W, but that doesn't change much in terms of usage. 9x flights with 12 frames is pretty much the maximum it can sustain.

On another note, it's interesting to see that the 788 will not even transit through YUL at all next summer.
Next flights: YQM-YUL-MIA-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-YUL-YQM / YQM-YUL-FRA-MLA-FRA-YUL-YQM

EChid

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I think that goes for AC's entire long-haul fleet. Utilization is maxed out for every a/c type in summer 2019.

whywhyzee

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:51 pm

matt wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:

plus
AC106 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC126 YVR-YYZ (daily)
AC103 YYZ-YVR (daily)
AC123 YYZ-YVR (daily)

Any insights?

YYZ-LHR 3x daily
YYZ-FRA daily
YYZ-CPH daily
YYZ-ICN daily
YYZ-HND daily
YYZ-PVG daily
YYZ-PEK daily

Pulling one frame from the YVR-YYZ turns would make perfect sense, indeed. And the 77L is streched pretty thin!

Regarding the 12 400-seat 777-300ERs, I believe YYZ-PVG will be operated with the 789 and that YVR-PVG will use the 77W, but that doesn't change much in terms of usage. 9x flights with 12 frames is pretty much the maximum it can sustain.

On another note, it's interesting to see that the 788 will not even transit through YUL at all next summer.

YYZ-PVG will be 77W, website reflects. YVR-PVG also shows as a 77W, I suspect YYZ will see the 400 seater and YVR the 450.

I imagine all 788 flying will be out of YVR next summer, YYZ hasn’t seen them in ages, and YUL is upguaging.

matt

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:03 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

YYZ-LHR 3x daily
YYZ-FRA daily
YYZ-CPH daily
YYZ-ICN daily
YYZ-HND daily
YYZ-PVG daily
YYZ-PEK daily

YYZ-PVG will be 77W, website reflects. YVR-PVG also shows as a 77W, I suspect YYZ will see the 400 seater and YVR the 450.

I imagine all 788 flying will be out of YVR next summer, YYZ hasn’t seen them in ages, and YUL is upguaging.

For July-August, the AC website is actually showing 789 for YYZ-PVG (AC027/AC028).

As for the 788, it will operate the following flights:

(Daily) AC 868 YYZ-LHR 0910-2100 788
(Daily) AC 859 LHR-YYZ 1800-2040 788

(Daily) AC 896 YVR-LHR 2105-1420+ 788
(Daily) AC 855 LHR-YVR 1005-1130 788

24567 AC 802 YVR-ZRH 1300-0755+ 788
13567 AC 803 ZRH-YVR 1005-1125 788

1357 AC 806 YVR-CDG 1245-0735+ 788
1246 AC 807 CDG-YVR 0925-1020 788

12346 AC 039 YVR-KIX 1330-1545+ 788
23457 AC 040 KIX-YVR 1715-1010 788

(Daily) AC 035 YVR-BNE 2350-0725++ 788
(Daily) AC 036 BNE-YVR 1040-0710 788

(Daily) AC 894 YYZ-MXP 2040-1030 788
(Daily) AC 895 MXP-YYZ 1210-1500 788

So they will see them in YYZ next summer for a change.

whywhyzee

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm

matt wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:

For July-August, the AC website is actually showing 789 for YYZ-PVG (AC027/AC028).

Do you have a date range for the LHR flight operating with a -8? I was checking via dummy bookings, took it as far as late may and was seeing 789 listed.

PVG is quite surprising, especially since that will be the smallest equipment it sees all year, during a part of the year that is generally peak travel season.

matt

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:29 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

Do you have a date range for the LHR flight operating with a -8? I was checking via dummy bookings, took it as far as late may and was seeing 789 listed.

PVG is quite surprising, especially since that will be the smallest equipment it sees all year, during a part of the year that is generally peak travel season.

I am only really looking at peak travel season for Summer 2019, i.e. July and August.

Yes, it is suprising that YYZ-PVG is operated by a 789 for that period. Could change, however.

whywhyzee

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 pm

matt wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
matt wrote:

I am only really looking at peak travel season for Summer 2019, i.e. July and August.

Yes, it is suprising that YYZ-PVG is operated by a 789 for that period. Could change, however.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a change, PVG especially has been 77W during the summer for as long as I can remember.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos