Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 am

qf789 wrote:
VA reveals international lounge network

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ource=hero

Completely logical move.

CraigAnderson

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2018

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:35 am

Yet another article by ultimate Boeing fanboy GT in which he raves about the 797, "the plane every passenger will love'

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pla ... ch-closer/

Love this quote from a highly-paid analyst, "airline interest in the New Mid-Size Airplane (NMA or 797) is clearly growing, but the demand will be highly dependent on pricing.”

Wow, airline demand will very much depend on how much Boeing charges for the 797? Astounding! Thanks for that amazing insight!

Seriously, I think the 797 would be a perfect fit for QF in both domestic and Asian routes but I'm getting over the endless stream of articles about what is still very much a 'paper plane'.

Meanwhile no coverage from GT off this interesting Bloomberg article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ansat-says

"Airbus SE could build a longer-range version of its newest narrow-body jet by 2023, according to prospective buyer Air Transat, beating a competing Boeing Co. model to the market. The Canadian carrier’s president, Jean-Francois Lemay, has been briefed by Airbus on its thinking regarding service entry for the proposed aircraft, as well as by leasing firm AerCap Holdings NV, the biggest supplier to its fleet, he said in an interview in London."

anstar

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 am

What plane are Harry & Meghan using in for the internal flights?commercial?

VHZNE

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 am

anstar wrote:

They used one of the RAAF Challengers to Dubbo today.

qantas747

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 am

tullamarine wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

QF9 PER-LHR is cancelled as well

I suppose QF had to choose whether to cancel todays QF9/10 MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL or replace the MEL-PER-MEL legs with A330/737 and send VH-ZND back PER-LHR tonight which would effectively then cancel tonights QF95/96 MEL-LAX-MEL.

October/November is traditionally fairly light season so QF would be able to re-accommodate pax from QF9 onto QF and EK services via DXB and SIN. I flew up to SIN on QF37 this week and A333 was only 25% full; colleague flew up on EK405 and it only had 80 pax on A380.

Anecdotally QF37/38 seems like its been struggling ever since the upgauge of QF35/36 to A380.. I wonder if its worth them retiming 37/38 to an overnight ex MEL and daytime flight ex SIN. It would finally give a daytime QF option from SIN and an overnight ex AU, but limit connection opportunities from MEL to the SIN-LHR flight. This could be mitigated if QF liased with EK to bring forward EK405 an hour so it would connect with QF1

getluv

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm

qantas747 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
I suppose QF had to choose whether to cancel todays QF9/10 MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL or replace the MEL-PER-MEL legs with A330/737 and send VH-ZND back PER-LHR tonight which would effectively then cancel tonights QF95/96 MEL-LAX-MEL.

October/November is traditionally fairly light season so QF would be able to re-accommodate pax from QF9 onto QF and EK services via DXB and SIN. I flew up to SIN on QF37 this week and A333 was only 25% full; colleague flew up on EK405 and it only had 80 pax on A380.

Anecdotally QF37/38 seems like its been struggling ever since the upgauge of QF35/36 to A380.. I wonder if its worth them retiming 37/38 to an overnight ex MEL and daytime flight ex SIN. It would finally give a daytime QF option from SIN and an overnight ex AU, but limit connection opportunities from MEL to the SIN-LHR flight. This could be mitigated if QF liased with EK to bring forward EK405 an hour so it would connect with QF1

There are only a handful of seats left on QF38 flights this weekend. October is usually very soft for outbound demand, this isn't exclusive to QF.

QF37 connects easily to AF, KL, AY and a number of airlines who interline with QF and who have flights that leave between 2350-0100 out of SIN. QF38 also fills a void left over from QF6 of having a late night departure out of SIN to the east coast.

eamondzhang

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm

VHZNE wrote:
anstar wrote:

And they flew in on QF2. Guess they might've occupied the entire cabin (I think I've read somewhere that if the royals fly commercial, they usually take out the whole first class cabin and reserve the rest for security personnel).

Michael

Qf648

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

expensive flight if they used the 380 for that

Qantas737

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 am

A C130 Hercules (presumably RAAF) landed with it's nose gear retracted in Townsville last night. Limited information available at this point in time. Reports on facebook of delays to commercial aircraft waiting for the Hercules to be removed from the runway.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/n ... 230b8e50e3

tullamarine

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:41 am

Qf648 wrote:

It is a lot cheaper than a dedicated charter of a BA 777 which would be the alternative.

Security and privacy issues mean the whole cabin has to be quarantined. Imagine alternative which would see paparazzi booking up other F class seats and being pests for the whole flight.

vossitch

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 am

Qf648 wrote:
I believe they came in on the normal scheduled daily BA flight through Singapore.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Goodbye

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:05 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Goodbye wrote:

Wow, they've gone from twice daily a couple of months ago (unsure if still double-daily?) to less than daily! Quite a downgrade.

I thought they were daily before the reduction - you must be mixing BNE with MEL no? Thought MEL was the only port with 2x daily before the recent round of reduction.

Michael

Daily on a split schedule - can’t remember the exact details of flight timings, but IIRC it was 4x weekly on the current timings, 3x weekly roughly 9-10 hours back (night arrival and departure ex BNE). We’ve never seen TG double daily here in BNE

Apologies, I thought the evening flight was in addition to the regular daytime flight.

F100Flyer

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Yet another article by ultimate Boeing fanboy GT in which he raves about the 797, "the plane every passenger will love'

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pla ... ch-closer/

Love this quote from a highly-paid analyst, "airline interest in the New Mid-Size Airplane (NMA or 797) is clearly growing, but the demand will be highly dependent on pricing.”

Wow, airline demand will very much depend on how much Boeing charges for the 797? Astounding! Thanks for that amazing insight!

Seriously, I think the 797 would be a perfect fit for QF in both domestic and Asian routes but I'm getting over the endless stream of articles about what is still very much a 'paper plane'.

Meanwhile no coverage from GT off this interesting Bloomberg article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ansat-says

"Airbus SE could build a longer-range version of its newest narrow-body jet by 2023, according to prospective buyer Air Transat, beating a competing Boeing Co. model to the market. The Canadian carrier’s president, Jean-Francois Lemay, has been briefed by Airbus on its thinking regarding service entry for the proposed aircraft, as well as by leasing firm AerCap Holdings NV, the biggest supplier to its fleet, he said in an interview in London."

Well, remember the hype that the 787 generated, whereas actually, besides the better cabin pressure, was pretty much an aircraft much of the flying public have grown to hate, simply because of the seating pattern that most airlines adopted and the narrow seats airlines have had developed for them to squeeze everyone in.
The 797 will be no better.
The only winners are the airlines.

benjjk

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:32 am

gpasternak wrote:
Anyone know specific information regarding a loss of separation incident between a Qantas (MEL to BNE) and Virgin 737 (BNE to PPP) on October 11th near Brisbane. Apparently the ATSB have opened an investigation. I'm not familiar with the process so perhaps these investigations occur regularly.

Here you go: https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2018-070/

No information on how close they got exactly but it was a loss of separation, rather than a loss of separation assurance, meaning they actually breached the minimum safe distance for the sector.

I wouldn't say these happen regularly but I'd guess I see them do one or two investigations a year on it. You can probably find actual stats on their website.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 am

Premium economy now available for sale on QF9/10 domestic legs

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-is-now- ... ource=hero

CraigAnderson

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am

Know a guy who knows John Borghetti, apparently JB is planning to step down by the end of June 2019 at the latest, not end of 2019 as per the PR announcement. As soon as the new CEO is in place JB will be jumping into his Porsche with a wave and a grin and hightailing it outta there, and I don't blame him! Also privatisation back on the cards and this alone will land JB around $2m based even on current VA stock price.

getluv

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am

Privatisation won't be on the cards until VA has one main shareholder. I suspect things will get a lot worse before they get better.

qf002

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 pm

VHZNE wrote:

Two Challengers went out to DBO yesterday and they took one of the BBJs down to MEL today. I imagine a BBJ will take them up to Queensland and probably over to the Pacific Islands before switching to the RNZAF 757 at some point for the final part of their tour.

Not sure how they are getting home. QF1 is showing availability for all the days around their scheduled departure so unlikely to be coming back through SYD. My best guess would be EK through DXB if QF were involved but could be anything if the NZ Government were responsible for the booking.

waoz1

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 pm

getluv wrote:
Privatisation won't be on the cards until VA has one main shareholder. I suspect things will get a lot worse before they get better.

va are tinkering with flyers, been getting emails all week.

No points earned on air nz anymore
Less points when transferring to SQ
With some cards if you don't set up auto redemption you will go 2:1 to 3:1 points
Then adding fees on flyer redemptions tickets

Etc

moa999

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Suspect the private equity part owner of Velocity is looking for an exit.
Ramp up the profit margin and get out before the consequences hit.

Privatisation is still a tough one with the current spread of strategic shareholders.
And it makes the current 'structure' of VA Int even harder to justify, unless you can find an actual Australian entity that wants 51%

danny999

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Malindo Air to commence services to ADELAIDE in Q1 2019 (date TBC)

Schedule as follows;

OD 0173 DPS ADL arrival 2100 1 3 5 7
OD 0174 ADL DPS Departure 22:40 1 3 5 7

routing as per other Australian ports. KL-Denpasar-Adl

CraigAnderson

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 am

HNA trying to offload its 19.8 per cent stake in Virgin Australia but has rejected offer of 17.5c/share from US body, according to The Australian, article behind paywall sorry

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... cbfb124fae

Scanorama

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:32 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
HNA trying to offload its 19.8 per cent stake in Virgin Australia but has rejected offer of 17.5c/share from US body, according to The Australian, article behind paywall sorry

Try this link: https://outline.com/n5eHJE
It would be better if one of the existing shareholders step up and purchase the shares from HNA. VA's current shareholders arrangement is nearly unworkable with each airlines have competing interests.

tullamarine

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 am

Scanorama wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Try this link: https://outline.com/n5eHJE
It would be better if one of the existing shareholders step up and purchase the shares from HNA. VA's current shareholders arrangement is nearly unworkable with each airlines have competing interests.

Whilst remaining listed company, any increase in shareholding by existing shareholders would involve a formal takeover offer which would have to be offered to all other shareholders. It would be easier to take company private before attempting such a transfer which wouldn't be hard as most small shareholders have already exited the stock as part of company share buyback.

CraigAnderson

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 am

tullamarine wrote:
Whilst remaining listed company, any increase in shareholding by existing shareholders would involve a formal takeover offer which would have to be offered to all other shareholders. It would be easier to take company private before attempting such a transfer which wouldn't be hard as most small shareholders have already exited the stock as part of company share buyback.

Yes that's probably the biggest driver behind renewed talk of taking VA private, at some point the ownership mess is going to have to be cleared up and some airlines cleaned out. Also it removes VAH from much public scrutiny and media analysis and even saves them some money reporting and compliance costs. Nobody in the free float really wants VAH shares any more I reckon.

smi0006

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:06 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Interesting - be curious to see if HKG flying can be supported by a JV with HNA alone! I sense yet another change to international ops!

zkncj

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

So VA has lost about 1/3rd of its value since NZ jumped ship, whats the changes that EH will start to get more un-settled too? its now looking like the invested is even weaker.

Probably the best option would be an take-over bid by SQ, surely VA is now going to have an massive capital crunch when the 737MAX start requiring progress payments.

tullamarine

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:55 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Yes that's probably the biggest driver behind renewed talk of taking VA private, at some point the ownership mess is going to have to be cleared up and some airlines cleaned out. Also it removes VAH from much public scrutiny and media analysis and even saves them some money reporting and compliance costs. Nobody in the free float really wants VAH shares any more I reckon.

Free float is very small but I assume anyone still holding these shares does so by choice. Most of the smallest shareholders who inherited their shares from Toll will probably have already exited via the share buyback. Remaining shareholders will be institutions looking for a control premium as part of a takeover.

tullamarine

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:08 am

zkncj wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

So VA has lost about 1/3rd of its value since NZ jumped ship, whats the changes that EH will start to get more un-settled too? its now looking like the invested is even weaker.

Probably the best option would be an take-over bid by SQ, surely VA is now going to have an massive capital crunch when the 737MAX start requiring progress payments.

VA is better off without NZ who were more interested in directing VA pax onto NZ services than the actual VA business which is actually larger in fleet and revenue terms than NZ. New Zealand is a small country and much of NZ's international business relies on picking up transitting AU pax. The potential loss of the VA pax base is real now there is no tie-up. Most of NZ's major international destinations are available direct from AU so NZ have to compete on price with a just so-so product.

Hard to comment on cashflow regarding 737MAX. VA typically leases around half of its 737 fleet so upfront cashflow for fleet renewal may be quite small.

zkncj

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:49 am

tullamarine wrote:

Hard to comment on cashflow regarding 737MAX. VA typically leases around half of its 737 fleet so upfront cashflow for fleet renewal may be quite small.

Would assume if even with an high amount of leased fleet, if you we're known to be an crash strapped airline. You're leasing terms would be allot tighter, and require more upfront payments to keep receiving more aircraft? e.g. increased risk equals more likely higher lease price and stricter terms.

Qantas16

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:05 am

danny999 wrote:

Schedule as follows;

Interesting that it'll be a different timetable to MEL and BNE flights that arrive ~6am and depart ~7am... also a 2240 departure from ADL is pretty tight with the 2300 curfew. OD hasn't had the best OTP in BNE (not sure about MEL) so would lead to a lot of missed curfew departures!

NTLDaz

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 am

I just noticed that Fly Pelican are adding a Sunday flight between NTL and ADL.

This flight has been running for a while now. Maybe it's doing OK.

Also they've added a new aircraft to beef up Taree- SYD.

Good to see a local airline seemingly doing well.

ben175

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
danny999 wrote:

Schedule as follows;

Interesting that it'll be a different timetable to MEL and BNE flights that arrive ~6am and depart ~7am... also a 2240 departure from ADL is pretty tight with the 2300 curfew. OD hasn't had the best OTP in BNE (not sure about MEL) so would lead to a lot of missed curfew departures!

I could think of nothing worse than arriving in Bali at 2:30am and having to wait until 3pm for a hotel room.

Thai77w

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:53 am

Most hotels have 24hr front desks... I’ve checked in after midnight plenty of times. An email alerting the late arrival helps so they don’t “no show” you

NTLDaz

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am

ben175 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
danny999 wrote:

Schedule as follows;

I could think of nothing worse than arriving in Bali at 2:30am and having to wait until 3pm for a hotel room.

Well you just stump up for a room the night of your arrival. If you don't want to it's tough luck.

oskarclare

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 pm

7 news reporting new South-East Asian destination + new airline to be announced at end of November for Brisbane.

Crackshot

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:36 am

oskarclare wrote:
7 news reporting new South-East Asian destination + new airline to be announced at end of November for Brisbane.

Given earlier discussion seems like VietJet is a likely choice here, yeah?

Qantas16

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

Crackshot wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

VietJet do not have the aircraft to operate this service. A 230-seat A321neo will not even get close to operating SGN/HAN-BNE non-stop. So unless they are going to stop in DRW/DPS, in which case the route will be equally a disaster.

oskarclare

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Crackshot wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Thinking more Thai AirAsia X to HKT or Cebu Pacific Air to Cebu.

waoz1

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:25 am

ben175 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
danny999 wrote:

Schedule as follows;

Especially with kids in toe who havent slept
Id stay at home :)

Thai77w

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 am

I believe Vietjet were getting some A321LR and they will have a J/Y configuration

ClassicLover

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey people,

You might remember back in June I posted on the Australian Aviation June thread that I was doing my Master's thesis at Cranfield University for my Air Transport Management degree. I was asking for people who flew in Australia for business purposes to do a survey.

The purpose of the survey was to find out the attitudes of business travellers towards new entrants in the Australian domestic market. Anyway, I've now successfully completed my MSc, and I have the results for you if you want to see them.

They're published here - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/australian-business-new-airline/

If you have any additional questions on it, feel free to ask and I'll answer them here. Clearly it's not all the information from the survey, but it should give you a good flavour anyway.

Thanks to everyone who took a few minutes out of their day to do it, I really appreciate it!

Trent.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 pm

QF16 LAX-BNE diverted to APW earlier this morning

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b787- ... diversion/

qf2220

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Hey people,

You might remember back in June I posted on the Australian Aviation June thread that I was doing my Master's thesis at Cranfield University for my Air Transport Management degree. I was asking for people who flew in Australia for business purposes to do a survey.

The purpose of the survey was to find out the attitudes of business travellers towards new entrants in the Australian domestic market. Anyway, I've now successfully completed my MSc, and I have the results for you if you want to see them.

They're published here - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/australian-business-new-airline/

If you have any additional questions on it, feel free to ask and I'll answer them here. Clearly it's not all the information from the survey, but it should give you a good flavour anyway.

Thanks to everyone who took a few minutes out of their day to do it, I really appreciate it!

Trent.

Thanks for the follow up. These results are not unexpected, which is good in that it gives your research some validity. What might be interesting is to do some discrete choice modelling to see what people are actually willing to pay for these attributes. There would be some of this quantified in the existing literature I am sure, but some more up to date information would be a worthy addition to the field.

All the best post MSc!

aerokiwi

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Hey people,

Trent.

Congrats on the Masters!

And some interesting results. I've always been a little perplexed re lounge access. I have it by default but use ot for maybe 1 in 8 trips, and even then, just for 15 minutes to grab a quick coffee or snack. I'm usually in such a huge rush and trying to cram in as many appointments as possible that I'm mostly just concerned about missing my flight.

So I'm curious, for those that actually travel for work, how many actually have the time to loll about in longes admiring the view? Leisure travel, sure, great to have. But for work... really? If I you get to the airport early enough to make the most of a lounge, wouldn't you rather try and get an earlier flight?

And on VA shareholding, I'd reject 17.5 cents as well. Not sure why you'd sell a duopoly carrier at a masive discount with positive cashflows, "underlying" profit and a booming domestic market with a robust economy. The negative impact on MAX orders? Wishful thinking - sadly - by the usual VA deathwatchers. The NZ relationship? NZ's 3rd attempt in Australia (BNE hub, Ansett debacle, VA) and its 3rd failure... maybe something about NZ's approach... just maybe? Velocity changes - interesting, don't know all the angles to that one but a private equity owner juicing it for sale is a familiar story - I'd hope the market had learnt by now to see through PE behaviour (hello Dick Smith!).

Qantas16

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:36 am

qf789 wrote:

Presume medical. Interesting diversion point as NAN and NOU are the usuals (and HNL and AKL depending on nature of issue and how long into the flight)...

Whilst the runway is likely long enough (3km) I presume APW can’t handle A380/747 diversions unless in an emergency?

smi0006

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Presume medical. Interesting diversion point as NAN and NOU are the usuals (and HNL and AKL depending on nature of issue and how long into the flight)...

Whilst the runway is likely long enough (3km) I presume APW can’t handle A380/747 diversions unless in an emergency?

I think NZ drops a few diversions in there semi regularly. I think the terminal just had an upgrade, does APW ever get NZ widebodies?

When was the last time QF dropped into APW is there a way to find this out?

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 am

smi0006 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I think NZ drops a few diversions in there semi regularly. I think the terminal just had an upgrade, does APW ever get NZ widebodies?

When was the last time QF dropped into APW is there a way to find this out?

Yes APW NZ ops are all 789's and 777's

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:08 am

NZ reguarly fly 777s and 787s to APW, the current schedule for AKL-APW is 4x 777/789 and 3x A320. The airport can definitely handle widebody aircraft.

Re BNE, I wouldn’t rule out VN. Something like 3x weekly BNE-SGN strikes me as a no-brainer.

Crackshot

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 am

Thai77w wrote:
I believe Vietjet were getting some A321LR and they will have a J/Y configuration

Yes, that was my impression too. Having done some quick googling it seems they still haven't decided anything firm.

RyanairGuru wrote:
Re BNE, I wouldn’t rule out VN. Something like 3x weekly BNE-SGN strikes me as a no-brainer.

SGN, HKT and CEB seem the likely choices. I would have said BWN but BI have ruled out a return to BNE. I don't think 5J has narrowbody aircraft capable of flying the route and it doesn't strike me as being a good 333 route so I'm not sure about that one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos