Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2018

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:46 am

patschwarz wrote:
Just saw this on routesonline, can anyone confirm: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -nov-2018/

Thanks

Jetstar isn't due to take delivery of any A320neo family orders until mid 2020, the first being A321neoLR

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... a321neolr/

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:10 am

Qatar CEO is threatening to leave OneWorld Alliance and has taken a direct swipe at Qantas

Al Baker is also unhappy with Qantas’s behaviour, which has an extensive tie-up with Gulf rival Emirates while its relationship with Qatar is “trivial”, he says. “And it is blocking us getting rights into Australia. So what is the point of us being in this alliance if it is only in the interest of a few and the interest of the rest is compromised?”

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... dr-452491/

Qantas16

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:22 am

qf789 wrote:
Qatar CEO is threatening to leave OneWorld Alliance and has taken a direct swipe at Qantas

Al Baker is also unhappy with Qantas’s behaviour, which has an extensive tie-up with Gulf rival Emirates while its relationship with Qatar is “trivial”, he says. “And it is blocking us getting rights into Australia. So what is the point of us being in this alliance if it is only in the interest of a few and the interest of the rest is compromised?”

EK/QF partnership started before QR entered OneWorld didn't it?

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Both started in 2013

tullamarine

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Both started in 2013

The whole global alliance thing is a bit of a fraud and has offered nothing to travelling pax and is only used by airlines when it suits their interests. The future is in bilateral alliances like EK/QF, DL/VA etc. I doubt QR are going to leave Oneworld but probably couldn't care either way if they did. The only spectator interest in them leaving would be if they took the IAG airlines with them which would probably cripple Oneworld but the key part of the alliance from BA's perspective which is the BA/AA JV would remain anyway.

waoz1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:59 am

Interesting, maybe a bit of a push along by the state government?

https://thewest.com.au/news/qantas/qant ... b88984671z

smi0006

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 am

waoz1 wrote:

I’m sorry am I missing something, where is the investment to bring the long promised QF domestic terminal over to a single precinct?

Sorry QANTAS your JNB flight needs to depart from T1 to make the train line viable.... but oh we won’t build you the terminal we promised you for your domestic flights to operate next to the train line....

I wonder when they want QF to start paying for the new terminal, and how far off planning and construction is?

smi0006

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 am

waoz1 wrote:

I’m sorry am I missing something, where is the investment to bring the long promised QF domestic terminal over to a single precinct?

Sorry QANTAS your JNB flight needs to depart from T1 to make the train line viable.... but oh we won’t build you the terminal we promised you for your domestic flights to operate next to the train line....

I wonder when they want QF to start paying for the new terminal, and how far off planning and construction is?

smi0006

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 am

qf789 wrote:

More AAB talk and an inability to build a productive relationship not based on hierarchy! Nothing makes an organisation want to work closer with you, and build a partnership of equals than slagging them off in public...

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 am

Looks like QR904 is diverting to PER

waoz1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 am

qf789 wrote:

Just flew over the top of me in welshpool

moa999

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am

tullamarine wrote:
The whole global alliance thing is a bit of a fraud and has offered nothing to travelling pax and is only used by airlines when it suits their interests. The future is in bilateral alliances like EK/QF, DL/VA etc. I doubt QR are going to leave Oneworld but probably couldn't care either way if they did. .

Alliances have offered plenty to pax - particularly those with lounge access, as well as RTW fares and FF earn/redemptions.

And certainly plenty more for the QF flyer than the haphazard arrangement VA has, and it's ever changing lounge list.

That said it doesn't mean for perfect relationships - eg. QF and CX - think QF has also objected to more HKG bilaterals.

In any event I think QR needs oneworld at the moment with their other issues and it's a bit of PKB given Qatar's additional lounge rules in LHR, DOH and even BKK that restricts access to J/F only.
Last edited by moa999 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 am

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Just flew over the top of me in welshpool

It’s a medical, just arriving st the gate now

moa999

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am

smi0006 wrote:

Rail issue is a load of rubbish.
While QF remains at T3/T4 passengers can use the Redcliffe Station (formerly Belmont and initially planned as Airport West !) With I suspect a shuttle for the 700m or so to the terminal

So numbers travelling on the Airport Line will be the same.. and I believe the Govt promised no surcharge

waoz1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:10 am

moa999 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

While QF remains at T3/T4 passengers can use the Redcliffe Station (formerly Belmont and initially planned as Airport West !) With I suspect a shuttle for the 700m or so to the terminal

So numbers travelling on the Airport Line will be the same.. and I believe the Govt promised no surcharge

Redcliffe station is a bit of a walk to T3/T4 so would need a bus.
That station was more designed for local area when terminals consolidated.
International airport terminal is only 5min walk at most.
Last edited by waoz1 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mh124

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 am

moa999 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Its not rubbish but I agree its not relevant to Qantas. The previous government jumped the gun when they announced the rail line. Why on earth would you announce a line for completion in 2020 when you know QF won't move until 2025 at the earliest? And when you full well know QF/JQ domestic accounts for 35-40% of total airport passengers. And when the state is in a kind of economic crisis, running massive deficits. All it does is increase the subsidy required for the line to operate. I think the government had pencilled in 20 000 passengers a day (there are only 3 stations on the whole line), this seems very optimistic unless airport employees use it. Running a shuttle from Redcliffe in the interim is something the government has talked about. This could involve the DFO as well. But - again it will need another public transport subsidy. And - I'm not sure how keen passengers will be to catch another bus after the train, the commute will necessarily start to blow out time wise.

aerokiwi

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 am

moa999 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
The whole global alliance thing is a bit of a fraud and has offered nothing to travelling pax and is only used by airlines when it suits their interests. The future is in bilateral alliances like EK/QF, DL/VA etc. I doubt QR are going to leave Oneworld but probably couldn't care either way if they did. .

Alliances have offered plenty to pax - particularly those with lounge access, as well as RTW fares and FF earn/redemptions.

And certainly plenty more for the QF flyer than the haphazard arrangement VA has, and it's ever changing lounge list.

That said it doesn't mean for perfect relationships - eg. QF and CX - think QF has also objected to more HKG bilaterals.

In any event I think QR needs oneworld at the moment with their other issues and it's a bit of PKB given Qatar's additional lounge rules in LHR, DOH and even BKK that restricts access to J/F only.

Yeah so I've just discovered the limitations of airline alliances. On Qantas FF I literally earn more points going to Woolies and stocking up on milk than I do in flying RTW on Cathay and several back and forths on Malaysia Airlines because of fare class restrictions, where the airfares were actually substantially higher in most cases than the Qantas equivalent (on Cathay). And these were booked through work so were paying a corporate rate. As if a booking passenger has any real visibility of their fare class.

None too impressed, so I've asked for all future work domestic flights to be on Virgin (currently about 70 per cent Virgin anyway, but still) and I'm looking into a status match with VA. They probably have the same restrictions, but I figure I should flex my consumer muscle once in a while.

And as you point out, QF and CX have always had a testy relationship. Now QR says the same thing? Maybe there's something to it.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

QR904 has just pushed back and will be on the way to MEL shortly

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am

Several flights are currently circling around PER due to thunderstorms over the airport

jupiter2

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am

aerokiwi wrote:
moa999 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Yeah so I've just discovered the limitations of airline alliances. On Qantas FF I literally earn more points going to Woolies and stocking up on milk than I do in flying RTW on Cathay and several back and forths on Malaysia Airlines because of fare class restrictions, where the airfares were actually substantially higher in most cases than the Qantas equivalent (on Cathay). And these were booked through work so were paying a corporate rate. As if a booking passenger has any real visibility of their fare class.

None too impressed, so I've asked for all future work domestic flights to be on Virgin (currently about 70 per cent Virgin anyway, but still) and I'm looking into a status match with VA. They probably have the same restrictions, but I figure I should flex my consumer muscle once in a while.

And as you point out, QF and CX have always had a testy relationship. Now QR says the same thing? Maybe there's something to it.

What use is QR to QF though ? They already have their broad relationship with EK, which even at their, best QR can't match. All QR getting more rights to Australia would do is potentially take more butts off QF seats, so besides being a cordial alliance partner, their is very little, if anything QR can offer QF.

As for CX, we all know that's been a testy relationship, but the recent code shares announced, maybe a sign of a better future relationship. But there as well, what good does Australia giving more rights to Hong Kong based airlines do for Australian airlines ? Australian carriers don't need extra rights to Hong Kong now, or in the foreseeable future. Mainland China is their focus and they both have their ties to Chinese airlines already sewn up.

waoz1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

qf789 wrote:
Several flights are currently circling around PER due to thunderstorms over the airport

Checked FlightRadar
Going to be a busy night a bit of a backlog already.
See QF9 has been circling a while

qf002

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am

aerokiwi wrote:

I'd take a look at VA's earn rates before getting too committed. I don't know what your travel patterns are like but VA's partner rates generally seem to be worse (especially on discounted fares) and harder to comprehend than QF's which are at least consistent across all partners and don't break rates down into 4 or 5 different fare groups per cabin.

redroo

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 am

waoz1 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Redcliffe station is a bit of a walk to T3/T4 so would need a bus.
That station was more designed for local area when terminals consolidated.
International airport terminal is only 5min walk at most.

Considering I fly exclusively QF for business I can safely say I will not be using the new rail line to Redcliffe when it opens. It will be an uber or taxi from the CBD. It’s such a short trip even in traffic it’s just lot worth walking to the station, getting the train and then walking a fair way at the other end.

As for the return... highly unlikely because 99pc of the time I’m on the last flight back from the eastern states so it’s into a cab and then 30km home to bed. No way I’ll be walking to Redcliffe, getting the train to CBd, changing to Joondalup line, the hopping in the car from station home.

Things might be different when everything is over at international but even then I’m not so sure. Outbound yes. Inbound probably never.

eamondzhang

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

patschwarz wrote:
Just saw this on routesonline, can anyone confirm: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -nov-2018/

Thanks

With Airlineroute one can pretty much take it as a de facto announcement unless they change the plan - I've checked with Airbus source and they confirmed Jetstar should take delivery of their first neo within the next few weeks.

Michael

getluv

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am

aerokiwi wrote:

Your post doesn't make any sense. As many people have said time and time before, oneworld is just a marketing arrangement for their respective loyalty programs and to ensure mutual status recognition when using airline lounges and airlines. At a minimum, they also have an interline agreement. This is where most relationships amongst oneworld airlines ends.

As someone has said, QF have a point earnings table on the website and lounge access arrangements that are easy to follow and recognise. VA arrangements are more akin to a game of musical chairs.

Additionally, if you're travelling 70% of the time on Virgin and you're still looking into status matching with VA, why are you holding up? You must be doing some lucrative flying with QF and oneworld. I'm also shocked with the level of "research" you haven't realised that you can earn Velocity credits at Coles through flybuys. So perhaps you should switch your milk buying patterns as well. I'm sure QF will be okay.

It is also worth mentioning that VA cut their domestic earning rates by half a few years ago on Gateway fares. So it actually takes longer to go up in status on VA compared to QF on quite a few fare types.

aerokiwi

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Makes perfect sense. But we're never going to agree so no point in making incredibly valid and witty points. Lesson learnt though - don't be lured in by the false economies of any ff scheme.

Boof

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
patschwarz wrote:

Thanks

With Airlineroute one can pretty much take it as a de facto announcement unless they change the plan - I've checked with Airbus source and they confirmed Jetstar should take delivery of their first neo within the next few weeks.

Michael

Your Airbus source knows something that the ASX doesn't then... As QF789 posted the first NEO's are not due until mid 2020 and I've checked the QF investor presentations from late August and they also matched up with mid 2020 and A321LR's being the first NEO's to arrive for JQ.

Is it possible this was simply loaded incorrectly? Wasn't there something in the Aus Av thread a few months ago about the different seating configs being loaded as A320 and A32T for the new configs? maybe they hit an N not a T!

patschwarz

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 am

eamondzhang wrote:
patschwarz wrote:

Thanks

Michael

I guess we'll just have to wait and see !

DeltaB717

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 am

Boof wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
patschwarz wrote:

Thanks

Michael

Your Airbus source knows something that the ASX doesn't then... As QF789 posted the first NEO's are not due until mid 2020 and I've checked the QF investor presentations from late August and they also matched up with mid 2020 and A321LR's being the first NEO's to arrive for JQ.

Is it possible this was simply loaded incorrectly? Wasn't there something in the Aus Av thread a few months ago about the different seating configs being loaded as A320 and A32T for the new configs? maybe they hit an N not a T!

Your Airbus source also appears to know things my Qantas source doesn't... I'm told their systems show an internal code of 32N being used for the 230 seat A321 configuration - apparently the reconfiguration work has now progressed sufficiently that JQ is specifically scheduling the 230 seat aircraft on some sectors (those being the ones shown in the airlineroute article). I'm sure he also mentioned the system shows a 230 seat configuration against the flights mentioned on airlineroute.

There is literally no indication anywhere that JQ has neos of any type (A320 or A321) currently in production and, of course, if it isn't in production now it won't be in service in November.

Also, one would have to question what airline in its right mind would have such a slow EIS for what is essentially a variant of an aircraft they already operate extensively...

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:22 am

There are 2 748F’s in PER today, KE 748F landed about an hour ago and the CX 748F has just landed

Obzerva

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 am

aerokiwi wrote:
moa999 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Actually I don't think VA have a "tier" table for status credits, every airline is the same whether that be VA, SQ or HU.
There are a couple of airlines you do earn bonus points on however, if you're looking for points you book VA operated by SQ rather than SQ, but it then makes it a bit harder to allocate seats, just depends on what your goal is.

Alliances do make things somewhat easier for the traveller (with exceptions), but from their airline perspective, not so much, hence the grinding halt of any airline signing up to an alliance for years.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 am

For those interested in PER there is another 747 freighter due in PER tonight being an Atlas 747F and tomorrow I have heard there are 2 SQ 747F's arriving

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:22 am

Qantas and KLM to partner for flights to AMS via SIN

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-and-klm ... ource=hero

qf2220

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

QR and QF did meet in PER shortly before the EK tie-up was announced, IMO this was a spoiler by QF to bring EK to the table on some final items.

I cant imaging QR being as good a partner (either network wise or culture wise vis a vis Al Baker)

However I am on record though saying that QF and QR together could be a better deal for QF in terms of bargaining power given QR is much smaller than EK so may be contradicting myself over time...

planemanofnz

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 am

qf789 wrote:

Why? Don't they have EK for that, with EK offering a far superior product to KL? I kind of get the AF/CDG partnership - CDG is a much more important market than AMS for Australia, arguably only second in Europe to LHR, so local carrier support gives a necessary boost.

Cheers,

C.

qf2220

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 am

ATSB report on the REX/SAAB340 propellor loss is out.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv ... -2017-032/

Pilots performed well.
Manufacturer check procedures need modification
Operator check procedures/forms need space to allow additional checks.

Fairfax report on the same

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cal ... 508sm.html

Obzerva

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Why? Don't they have EK for that, with EK offering a far superior product to KL? I kind of get the AF/CDG partnership - CDG is a much more important market than AMS for Australia, arguably only second in Europe to LHR, so local carrier support gives a necessary boost.

Cheers,

C.

I imagine it’s to do with the fact that AF/KL group as a whole is now talking to QF.

But with both of the above codeshares + the LHR direct flight + any new direct Euro flight out of PER + the QF withdrawal from DXB, these factors have all been slow but it is chipping away at the EK/QF relationship usefulness.

smi0006

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:02 am

Sitting on a VA flight some crew who were part of the promotional team were traveling. Sounds like there is an announcement in the lounge tomorrow, is SRB still in the country?

jupiter2

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 am

qf789 wrote:
For those interested in PER there is another 747 freighter due in PER tonight being an Atlas 747F and tomorrow I have heard there are 2 SQ 747F's arriving

Do you know what the occasion is for all the freighters visiting PER ?

qf744fan

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 am

jupiter2 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I'd love to know the occassion. Haven't been able to get out there for ages.

Does anyone have any photos?

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 am

qf744fan wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Apparently it’s due to Taylor Swift’s upcoming concerts

jupiter2

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 am

qf789 wrote:
qf744fan wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

Apparently it’s due to Taylor Swift’s upcoming concerts

Ok, thanks. Thought it may have been for something important :lol:

kriskim

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 am

smi0006 wrote:
Sitting on a VA flight some crew who were part of the promotional team were traveling. Sounds like there is an announcement in the lounge tomorrow, is SRB still in the country?

Maybe its a new route announcement?!!

smi0006

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 am

kriskim wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Maybe its a new route announcement?!!

I think they said Melbourne. Tricky to hear, and talk of yoga - maybe a partnership in lounge with EY? 1 lounge the new owners of EYs lounges in LHR have been advertising for roles in MEL?

Whatsaptudo

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 am

Have South African changed to the A330 for their Perth services? I’ve noticed the type a few times over the last 4 or 5 days.

SYDSpotter

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am

planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Because QF make more money out of a codeshare with KL out of SIN as the segment to SIN is flown with QF metal vs a codeshare with EK which is flown exclusively on EK metal.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Have South African changed to the A330 for their Perth services? I’ve noticed the type a few times over the last 4 or 5 days.

They have only been at PER twice over the past week, since early September the A346 has been to PER more than the A343, their loads havent been too bad lately amd the days the A346's operate they tend to have higher loads in one direction or the other, though having said that there are probably days where A346's are used over A343's due to aircraft availability.

FWIW today's inbound flight was full so the route can be done with an A332 with a full load even from JNB's altitude

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

qf744fan wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Here you go

https://twitter.com/JonoPerth/status/10 ... 8296750080

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm

QF41 SYD-CGK is diverting to SIN, operated by EBA

qf2220

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF41 SYD-CGK is diverting to SIN, operated by EBA

IDK and people may have other views and I could be in the minority here but dont we have the Qantas Source for this sort of information? Unless it is a QF32 type of disruption do we need to have these mentioned? Or could they have their own thread perhaps like the Qantas Fleet Thread? I find they seem to clutter up the broader strategy discussion somewhat.

Like i said though, I could be wrong.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos