Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planemanofnz

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2018

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
My understanding is that the plan has always been that when the domestic jet pier gets built, the regional airline end of the terminal will remain more or less as is until a future date where a regional airline pier is built, connected to the same landside building as the domestic jet pier.

My god - why can't they just build it all at once? Like, seriously - how hard would it be add on some check-in desks and gates for the props to the big, new jet pier? More bit-by-bit, piece-by-piece, with confusion and inconsistency for the users. It's a joke. Ugh. The regional end of the terminal as it currently stands is pretty much a disaster - if you're there at most times of the day, you see heaps of people sitting and/or lying on the ground, because there's simply insufficient seating. Then, as someone else said, the boarding walk is not protected from the elements. These are just some of many issues which necessitate redevelopment plans that aren't several decades away. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

C.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 am

planemanofnz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
My understanding is that the plan has always been that when the domestic jet pier gets built, the regional airline end of the terminal will remain more or less as is until a future date where a regional airline pier is built, connected to the same landside building as the domestic jet pier.

My god - why can't they just build it all at once? Like, seriously - how hard would it be add on some check-in desks and gates for the props to the big, new jet pier? More bit-by-bit, piece-by-piece, with confusion and inconsistency for the users. It's a joke. Ugh. The regional end of the terminal as it currently stands is pretty much a disaster - if you're there at most times of the day, you see heaps of people sitting and/or lying on the ground, because there's simply insufficient seating. Then, as someone else said, the boarding walk is not protected from the elements. These are just some of many issues which necessitate redevelopment plans that aren't several decades away. Anyone agree?

Cheers,

C.

Which is another one of the many reason why AKL needs to be nationalised.

zkncj

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 am

planemanofnz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Have you tired using Berlin Tegal (TXL)? it makes AKL Domestic look like luxury.

While its bad, in some sense there is much wrose out there around the world.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 am

zkncj wrote:
Have you tired using Berlin Tegal (TXL)? it makes AKL Domestic look like luxury. While its bad, in some sense there is much wrose out there around the world.

I actually don't care - running a business (or country) on the platform that, even if you are significantly below average, there is much worse out there, is pretty hopeless. This, particularly so with an airport that has the proportionate economic importance to the country that AKL has to New Zealand (unlike TXL to Germany). Most other airports in New Zealand are much better (like CHC and WLG) or at least have plans to be (like NSN, TRG, NPL and NPE - all getting refurbished or new terminals) - why should AKL be any different? Standards!

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am

planemanofnz wrote:
The NZ and SQ alliance has been approved for extension through 2024. Very interesting that CHC was less supportive of this than AKL was. It would be nice to see SQ boost CHC to 10x weekly year-round, boosting connection opportunities (particularly to/from Europe).

See: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12137655.

Cheers,

C.

Interesting Re CHC, SQ though have been pretty loyal to CHC, I’d think SQ would more likely add flights with the JV rather than without.

planemanofnz wrote:
HKG being downgraded from a 300+ seat 772 to a 275 seat code 2 789 - fleet resourcing issues, or is there something more to this? HX has dropped back its AKL presence, so that should be supportive of NZ at HKG. Could a 3rd daily year-round flight be on the cards?

See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -nov-2018/.

Cheers,

C.

Fleet issues, those frames were originally going to YVR. Only ORD will be 789 in the US, IAH will be mix 772/77W aswell.

I’m sure we will see a third daily year round at some stage. Maybe similar to the NZ/SQ alliance, where NZ would operate 2 daily in NS and CX 2 daily in NW as they do now.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am

Does anyone know why EK continues to have crew-layovers in CHC, and not require its crew to do same-day return SYD - CHC - SYD rotations? CI, D7 and LA all do same-day return rotations. It must add quite a lot of cost to the CHC tag? Hope it remains viable!

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Fleet issues.

Interesting. Well, HX and NZ reducing capacity on the route should really boost yields on AKL - HKG this NW period, and beyond.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:56 am

Very disappointing, but understandable I guess - Originair have shelved their new Palmerston North - Napier service.

See: http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... -show.html.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:58 am

Is this a joke? A new proposed airline for New Zealand, with flights to Australia - Oceania Air.

We are in the process of starting a New airline in New Zealand to provide reliable transport at cheap prices thought New Zealand and across the Tasman to Australia! People are sick of paying to much for Air New Zealand, their flight not taking off for Jet Star and being stuck in the middle seat.... We have solved these problems! Our business strategy has allowed us to find the balance between cheap and reliable flights and we use Embraer Aircraft which NO other airline in New Zealand uses! They have no middle seats and we will be providing business class seats on domestic flights!

See: https://givealittle.co.nz/project/new-airline-in-nz.

Cheers,

C.

NZ6

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:58 am

planemanofnz wrote:
HKG being downgraded from a 300+ seat 772 to a 275 seat code 2 789 - fleet resourcing issues, or is there something more to this? HX has dropped back its AKL presence, so that should be supportive of NZ at HKG. Could a 3rd daily year-round flight be on the cards?

Cheers,

C.

What's the market doing?

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:07 am

NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

What's the market doing?

Hard to say - at least volumes-wise, the in-bound market is booming, with visitor arrivals from HKG up ~13% in the past year. That being said, in-bound business-related traffic was significantly weaker than this, and Australasian visitor arrivals to HKG haven't recovered from their high several years ago. I'd say AKL - HKG is benefiting to some extent by factors like improved CX connectivity to places like DUB, but will face increasing challenges like i) less frequency competitiveness than SIN, once the third daily year-round SIN flight comes online, and ii) NZ's new TPE service (with HKG acting as a major gateway to Taiwan). Who knows what yields are doing, but I'd imagine they'd have taken a hit since 2016, given HX's Business Class pricing. It'll be interesting to see if NZ-CX can match NZ-SQ on frequency.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am

Milford Sound flights look set to be rolled back - the number of aircraft landings there is about to be stripped by about 2500. In addition, landing fees at Milford will increase from $15 to $19 next year (effective January 1, 2019) then jump to between $45 and $200 the following year, based on the weight of the aircraft. DOC has also advised it will be increasing its management fee for the concessions from $400 to $500 from January.

Thoughts? There are obviously risks associated with letting the area continue to grow, but are there alternative ways to manage those risks than what is being proposed?

See: http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... light.html.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:16 am

Does anyone know how CA's PEK - AKL service is doing? I ask because visitor arrivals from Beijing are a massive outlier in Chinese visitor arrivals - they're growing only by 1-2%, compared to double digits for Shanghai and Guangdong.

I hope CA doesn't drop AKL and/or make it seasonal, like it did with BNE.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am

Interestingly, we may see some movement in the Auckland - Shanghai market. Under changes to China's 'one route, one airline' policy which took effect this week, routes to China which see i) 14+ frequencies per week, and ii) Chinese carriers controlling less than 70% of the market, will now be allowed to have two Chinese airlines on them, instead of one. Therefore, in addition to MU, Shanghai - Auckland could now see CZ, CA or HU.

See: https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/r ... RLINES.jpg.

Could NZ and CA be interested in, within their JV, CA operating a second daily Auckland - Shanghai flight, instead of NZ? CA has PVG slots, and good government relationships, so would be more likely to get an appropriate Auckland - Shanghai timing than NZ could? I don't know whether CA can just move around its slots willy nilly though and if it could, whether it would want to. They already fly ex-Shanghai to Sydney and Melbourne.

Cheers,

C.

NZ6

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 am

planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

What's the market doing?

Hard to say - at least volumes-wise, the in-bound market is booming, with visitor arrivals from HKG up ~13% in the past year. That being said, in-bound business-related traffic was significantly weaker than this, and Australasian visitor arrivals to HKG haven't recovered from their high several years ago. I'd say AKL - HKG is benefiting to some extent by factors like improved CX connectivity to places like DUB, but will face increasing challenges like i) less frequency competitiveness than SIN, once the third daily year-round SIN flight comes online, and ii) NZ's new TPE service (with HKG acting as a major gateway to Taiwan). Who knows what yields are doing, but I'd imagine they'd have taken a hit since 2016, given HX's Business Class pricing. It'll be interesting to see if NZ-CX can match NZ-SQ on frequency.

Cheers,

C.

Take absolutely nothing from arrival numbers. I could take it up another 30% but lowering fares and pushing destination NZ in the HK market.

I can't say why the change has occurred but just remember, the airline will deploy its fleet into the most suitable market, sometimes it can mean and upsize or downsize, sometimes it's related to other markets. Also, remember the airline is looking to balance load and yield.

Just as an example, NZ might have high loads and lower yield, they could reduce the number of seats in the market and increase the yield. Depending on how just adjust these it can make you more or less revenue. The same can occur in the opposite logic.

Unless you can see the what your true market depend is it's almost impossible to comment.

Another example, NZ may reduce available seats in the market, protect their position with a strong product, deploy the 772 elsewhere and work with CX to supplement the overall capacity as part of the alliance.

All these are scenarios, just highlighting how little we can draw from the info publically known.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

Any insight as to why NZ's GC is leaving the company after such a short period (less than 2 years) in the role?

See: https://centreforaviation.com/news/air- ... ata-845843.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:38 am

Minister for Justice Andrew Little has affirmed that the government is keen to make progress on direct flights between New Zealand and India. Mr Little further said, “Delhi is the principal port we would be looking to have a direct flight.”

Interesting - I read the DEL comment as being NZ's definitive desire to serve DEL over BOM, and the government's knowledge of that. Are the two working together on renegotiating the ASA? AFAIK, AI could already serve DEL - AKL?

See: https://www.indianweekender.co.nz/Pages ... ays-Andrew.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

The Nelson Airport walkway is open again. Following the storm surge earlier this year that forced the closure of the walkway, remediation works have now been completed. Great to hear.

See: https://www.facebook.com/NelsonAirportN ... =3&theater.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

NSN's new terminal will open next Tuesday - 9 October. Looks like it'll be a fantastic addition to the NZ aviation space.

See: https://www.facebook.com/NelsonAirportN ... =3&theater.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 am

I have mixed feelings about this massive retail expansion at CHC on the cards - really hoping they don't turn into AKL.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

See: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1810/S ... irport.htm.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

NZ has secured engine overhaul contracts from the US Navy - great to hear, and a testament to the quality of NZ's offering and work in this area. The work will be carried out at the airline's gas turbines facility in Auckland and is expected to commence in October.

See: https://www.finchannel.com/tourism-and- ... ew-zealand.

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

Cheers,

C.

While I hear what you are saying, and I do hope they do move quite rapidly in building the jet pier and then the regional pier right away after it, there are some very good reasons why they can’t easily do it all at the same time. If you look at the renderings available at https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... our-vision you will see where the second and third domestic piers (which variously seem to be shown with turboprops and jets) are going to go is pretty much right over the top of the current domestic terminal. Until such time as the jet pier is up and running, the current terminal can’t be demolished, so the earliest construction could start on a future regional pier without significant disruption would be once the jet pier opens. There is also a question of getting the gate layout right, and one part of that will be having a reasonably good idea of the aircraft using it. Will the mix of ATRs and Q300s remain the same as today, or will there be an increasing number of ATRs, or something else altogether. Given the significant ground handling differences between the ATR and the Q300 (one can use push back gates, the other needs to be able to turn around), this is not a trivial consideration.

Looking at the staging proposed in the 2014 vision document https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... 59EF56DA79 it appears as though they do plan to have a fairly simple regional pier in place early on after the jet pier, with a diagonal connection to the landside of the jet pier. This will then be more fully built out as the old domestic terminal is removed. That document also seems to indicate the thinking is a jet pier, a mixed jet and regional pier, and a regional pier, which seems to make sense to me in terms of allowing enough flexibility for future expansion.

None of this prevents them from making a fairly modest investment to make the current walkways more suitable, or a larger but still reasonably modest investment to do a simple building extension to the east as I described above which would relieve a lot of pressure on the facility. A few extra aircraft stands wouldn’t go amiss either, but there’s no easy place to put them.

V/F

planemanofnz

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
While I hear what you are saying, and I do hope they do move quite rapidly in building the jet pier and then the regional pier right away after it, there are some very good reasons why they can’t easily do it all at the same time. If you look at the renderings available at https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... our-vision you will see where the second and third domestic piers (which variously seem to be shown with turboprops and jets) are going to go is pretty much right over the top of the current domestic terminal. Until such time as the jet pier is up and running, the current terminal can’t be demolished, so the earliest construction could start on a future regional pier without significant disruption would be once the jet pier opens.

Looking at the staging proposed in the 2014 vision document https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... 59EF56DA79 it appears as though they do plan to have a fairly simple regional pier in place early on after the jet pier, with a diagonal connection to the landside of the jet pier.

V/F

Thanks for the insight. At least there's a plan for a new regional pier, I guess - here's hoping it eventuates.

Cheers,

C.

PA515

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am

NYKiwi wrote:
PS....Air NZ....when are you placing the A350 order so I can fly home non-stop

Some time between 01 Jan 2019 and 30 Jun 2019 according to Air NZ Chief Financial Officer Jeff McDowall, page 8 of the 23 Aug 2018 Annual Result Analyst Call transcript.
....... does not include any assumptions on CapEx related to the Boeing 777-200 replacement program, as the aircraft selection is currently in progress and won't be decided until some time in the first half of the next calendar year.

http://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/Air- ... script.pdf

Since then I recall Chris Luxon being quoted as saying April 2019, but can't find the article.

PA515

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

planemanofnz wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this massive retail expansion at CHC on the cards - really hoping they don't turn into AKL.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

See: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1810/S ... irport.htm.

Cheers,

C.

Have you ever been to Copenhagen, it's a shopping mall with an airport attached.

PA515

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Is this a joke? A new proposed airline for New Zealand, with flights to Australia - Oceania Air.

Yes, but the joke would be on anyone who donates. Appears to the fantasy airline of an 18 year old Arrowtown boy.

https://www.nzbusiness.info/Oceania-Air ... d-7036354/

https://odt.co.nz/entertainment/extra-s ... z-cromwell

PA515

77west

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Question about Vanuatu - does NZ plan to return at any stage? I am planning to go in Oct 2019 and would have preferred to fly with NZ. Surely the runway at Port Vila is fixed up by now?

planemanofnz

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 am

77west wrote:
Question about Vanuatu - does NZ plan to return at any stage? I am planning to go in Oct 2019 and would have preferred to fly with NZ. Surely the runway at Port Vila is fixed up by now?

No. The project to upgrade VLI, expected to have started last year, was delayed and only started in March (due to opposition from Vanuatu biosecurity authorities and local chiefs after attempts at trying to bring in potentially contaminated gravel for the work from China). First, the airport apron needed to be expanded to provide more parks for larger aircraft. In April, this hit a roadblock - contractors encountered pockets of very soft materials underground, which presented potential risks for the parking area. After that is resolved, there'll be work on drainage and widening ground lighting and shoulders, before tackling the most critical work on the runway itself. Work is ongoing.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:26 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know why EK continues to have crew-layovers in CHC, and not require its crew to do same-day return SYD - CHC - SYD rotations? CI, D7 and LA all do same-day return rotations. It must add quite a lot of cost to the CHC tag? Hope it remains viable!

Cheers,

C.

They would have to reschedule the flight to give shorter ground time, I wonder if they could go 77W with the BKK-SYD service changing back to a 77W? That would only be in CHC 1.5hrs or so.

ZK-NBT

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:23 am

TG491 was operated by 77E HS-TJV with a 4hr delay, it appears that HS-TJR departed BKK on time and returned a short time later.

I wonder if TG cross trains crew on 777/787? Given their frequent changes, unless it was planned well ahead, hard to say given the 787 issues.

PER got a 789 instead of AKL it seems.

zkncj

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 am

planemanofnz wrote:

It is currently the new Zealand School Holidays - wonder how old this person proposing this airline is? my best is that are between 13-17 ;)

If they are planning to use the E170/190s for 'cheap fares' guess the give a little page is go torwards there debt collection bill.

Zkpilot

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Minister for Justice Andrew Little has affirmed that the government is keen to make progress on direct flights between New Zealand and India. Mr Little further said, “Delhi is the principal port we would be looking to have a direct flight.”

Interesting - I read the DEL comment as being NZ's definitive desire to serve DEL over BOM, and the government's knowledge of that. Are the two working together on renegotiating the ASA? AFAIK, AI could already serve DEL - AKL?

Cheers,

C.

For some reason the current agreement means NZ only has access to BOM (which is on the wrong side of the subcontinent). DEL would work better for them but even then flights to India are low yield and high cost. If NZ is interested in it I would say the AKL South America hub would be where the value would be for them (ie if you could get 30 passengers off an India flight connecting to EZE then that would certainly help).

Qantas16

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:39 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
TG491 was operated by 77E HS-TJV with a 4hr delay, it appears that HS-TJR departed BKK on time and returned a short time later.

I wonder if TG cross trains crew on 777/787? Given their frequent changes, unless it was planned well ahead, hard to say given the 787 issues.

PER got a 789 instead of AKL it seems.

TG crews are mostly cross trained between 777 and 787. IIRC some 777 pilots are not 787 trained but all 787 pilots are 777 trained.

NTLDaz

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

For some reason the current agreement means NZ only has access to BOM (which is on the wrong side of the subcontinent). DEL would work better for them but even then flights to India are low yield and high cost. If NZ is interested in it I would say the AKL South America hub would be where the value would be for them (ie if you could get 30 passengers off an India flight connecting to EZE then that would certainly help).

DEL-EZE is an awful lot longer via AKL than via the Middle East or Europe so I doubt that would be a hook.

QF dropped BOM a long time ago and I would guess there's more demand from AUS to India than from NZ. Given how the Indian diaspora comes from all over India via SIN to the plethora of destinations is the way go.

Zkpilot

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 am

NTLDaz wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

DEL-EZE is an awful lot longer via AKL than via the Middle East or Europe so I doubt that would be a hook.

QF dropped BOM a long time ago and I would guess there's more demand from AUS to India than from NZ. Given how the Indian diaspora comes from all over India via SIN to the plethora of destinations is the way go.

Correct it is about 40% further which isn’t necessarily a killer considering EK flies a lot of Indians to DXB and then back over India on the way to Asia etc.
Not much difference via Europe compared to AKL.
I just don’t see NZ starting up India, I was just pointing out how it might work if they were to. QF dropped it for some of the reasons I mentioned - long way to fly (and via SIN adds cycles and costs), high costs (lots of special meals, items being removed from the aircraft by passengers including things like life jackets), and just low yield in general.

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12137570

Outlook for summer for airlines to AKL.

A couple of things, the NZ reductions to EZE/TPE are purely Dreamliner related and trying to free capacity as is HND.

SQ are not sending 2 A380’s a day, it could happen as a one off but not likely as a regular thing and not scheduled that way.

nz2

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:00 am

Hi All,
Wife and I are going to Honolulu this Wednesday on NZ, seated in row 21. Does anyone know what version of EVA Air's 773 this particular one is? Reason being I just realised that row 21 in V1 and V2 types have no window and I do like to see the line up at at the USAF base on arrival.
Cheers
Last edited by nz2 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:09 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12137570

Outlook for summer for airlines to AKL.

A couple of things, the NZ reductions to EZE/TPE are purely Dreamliner related and trying to free capacity as is HND.

SQ are not sending 2 A380’s a day, it could happen as a one off but not likely as a regular thing and not scheduled that way.

Further to this, NZ increase IAH with 772/77W mix daily, HKG sees a reduction In Capacity with 789 v2 replacing 772, CX as each yearincrease to 2 daily and upgauge to 77W on 1 service DEC-FEB.

HX won’t add a second daily this year. 1 daily A332

CA as each summer will be a daily 789, 4 weekly in winter.

CI will upgauge to a 77W DEC-FEB.

KE no 748 this year.

Talks about next year if fuel prices continue to rise and tough calls having to be made, it will be interesting to watch.

nz2 wrote:
Hi All,
Wife and I are going to Honolulu this Wednesday on NZ, seated in row 21. Does anyone know what version of EVA Air's 773 this particular one is? Reason being I just realised that row 21 has no window and I do like to see the line up at at the USAF base on arrival.
Cheers

Configuration is 38J 64W 221Y if that helps.

nz2

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12137570

nz2 wrote:
Hi All,
Wife and I are going to Honolulu this Wednesday on NZ, seated in row 21. Does anyone know what version of EVA Air's 773 this particular one is? Reason being I just realised that row 21 has no window and I do like to see the line up at at the USAF base on arrival.
Cheers

Configuration is 38J 64W 221Y if that helps.

Good point, the 38/64/221 config suggests it is a V3 type and thus does have a window in row 21, cheers

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am

3C has ran into some regulatory issues with launching NLK - a launch is still on the cards, but not until 2019.

Here's hoping it all works out!

See: https://www.radionz.co.nz/international ... ce-delayed.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

Zkpilot wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Correct it is about 40% further which isn’t necessarily a killer considering EK flies a lot of Indians to DXB and then back over India on the way to Asia etc.
I just don’t see NZ starting up India, I was just pointing out how it might work if they were to. QF dropped it for some of the reasons I mentioned - long way to fly (and via SIN adds cycles and costs), high costs (lots of special meals, items being removed from the aircraft by passengers including things like life jackets), and just low yield in general.

Also a much higher % of passengers requiring wheelchair assistance which isn't so bad in DEL with low labour costs but when you have 30+ passengers 'requiring' that assistance in AKL, you have to provide a lot of staff to assit! Not sure how AI manages it in SYD/MEL... must be interesting!

Zkpilot

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Also a much higher % of passengers requiring wheelchair assistance which isn't so bad in DEL with low labour costs but when you have 30+ passengers 'requiring' that assistance in AKL, you have to provide a lot of staff to assit! Not sure how AI manages it in SYD/MEL... must be interesting!

Yes good point. I have however seen on several occasions miracles happen when certain passengers are told that they won’t be expedited through customs etc. They miraculously manage to walk and reasonably quickly too!

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 am

Flightradar24 had a VA ATR doing a NSN - MEL today.

PA515

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 pm

777ER wrote:
Flightradar24 had a VA ATR doing a NSN - MEL today.

That was ATR 72-600 VH-FVQ (msn 1053) which arrived NSN on 07 Sep 2018 for maintenance.

And ATR 72-500 ZK-MCB (msn 598) had a CHC-CHC test flight on 09 Oct 2018, so could be close to leaving New Zealand.

PA515

torin

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107724837/an-rnzaf-flight-stuck-in-air-with-landing-gear-failure-at-ohakea-base

A defence force aircraft has performed a "belly landing" after being stranded mid-air above RNZAF Base Ohakea because of a landing gear fault.

Never seen a plane stranded mid-air

Be interesting to see pictures of this one

Birdiey

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:23 am

Have you heard the latest news here at Hamilton Airport NZ?

We have announced today that there will be a further six flights per week between Hamilton, Christchurch and Wellington.

Air New Zealand will soon be offering an extra four direct flights between Hamilton and Christchurch each week. The new flights will depart Christchurch for Hamilton on a Tuesday and Saturday with return flights offered from Hamilton direct to Christchurch on a Tuesday and Sunday.

Two additional direct flights will also be offered to and from Wellington from the end of October; one from Hamilton to Wellington on a Monday departing at 1.55pm and a new Wellington-Hamilton flight departing on Mondays at 9.45am.

The additional flights will see a further 408 seats each week with a total of around 7,000 passengers likely to pass through the gates each week!

Waikato Regional Airport Ltd Chief Executive, Mark Morgan predicted the six new weekly flights would fill quickly and be “easily sustainable”.

“We’re seeing some very competitive fares on direct routes between Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, and Palmerston North and that’s being reflected in increased passenger numbers across the board,” he said.

“For many travelers, Hamilton is now an affordable, more convenient option than other airports, including Auckland.”

For the full news release, check out: http://www.hamiltonairport.co.nz/compan ... n-airport/

Looks interesting. Hamilton might start to get bigger again? Perhaps int’l flights again sometime soon?

planemanofnz

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:01 am

Birdiey wrote:
Hamilton might start to get bigger again? Perhaps int’l flights again sometime soon?

Yes - very interesting. I would be interested to hear thoughts on JQ launching and/or VA re-launching HLZ.

HLZ - WLG is something JQ could look at doing either with the Q300's or A320's - is there spare capacity?

Cheers,

C.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 am

torin wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107724837/an-rnzaf-flight-stuck-in-air-with-landing-gear-failure-at-ohakea-base

A defence force aircraft has performed a "belly landing" after being stranded mid-air above RNZAF Base Ohakea because of a landing gear fault.

Now the article has a pic I feel I have to ask the standard A.net question. Is this a writeoff? :p ;)

VirginFlyer

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
torin wrote:

Now the article has a pic I feel I have to ask the standard A.net question. Is this a writeoff? :p ;)

Haha the prop definitely is! Glad to see the aircraft didn’t remain stranded in mid-air, that would have been rather unfortunate.

V/F

bevan7

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 am

Looks like there's plans for another lounge in Auckland https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/107736 ... e-crowding

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos