AirFiero

Re: Update on PAE (Everett) Commercial Passenger Service

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 am

Cool picture, especially the touch of the Alaska Eskimo with snow on his shoulder. :)

seabosdca

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 am

Just booked myself a SEA-PHX-PAE business trip next week, partly for pricing on the return leg and partly for the hell of it. Excited to see the new terminal!

BA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Looks like there are catering issues. I read on some other forums that catering services aren't up and running yet at PAE, so AS flights have been carrying extra food and beverages on inbound flights.

I did see in some photos on the inaugural an LSG Sky Chefs catering truck, though it may have been a special run up from Sea-Tac.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/trave ... -find-out/
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

jetmatt777

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:39 pm

BA wrote:
Looks like there are catering issues. I read on some other forums that catering services aren't up and running yet at PAE, so AS flights have been carrying extra food and beverages on inbound flights.

I did see in some photos on the inaugural an LSG Sky Chefs catering truck, though it may have been a special run up from Sea-Tac.

Catering doesn’t exist at many airports much larger than PAE. Round trip catering is a very common practice across all airlines.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

BA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:51 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
BA wrote:

Catering doesn’t exist at many airports much larger than PAE. Round trip catering is a very common practice across all airlines.

For whatever reason, AS seems to be struggling with roundtrip catering on its PAE flights right now. AS flies to plenty of small airports, so not sure why the issue this time.

I was surprised to see an LSG Sky Chefs truck catering the planes last Monday as I know they don't have a catering presence at PAE. It must have been a special run up I-5 from their Sea-Tac facility.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

wedgetail737

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 am

There are always some growing pains with new service at a new airport. But it sounds like poor-planning.

travaz

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 am

I don't know how much they need to carry but I would imagine it is only snacks and drinks.

BA

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 am

Flew out of PAE today for the first time. Today is the first day of Alaska's full schedule of 18 daily flights.

Overall, it's a great experience. Check-in agents seem like they're still learning which is to be expected.

Security was a breeze, there was no line, so instead of having a dedicated TSA PreCheck line, they handed me a card letting me keep my shoes on, like what's done at smaller airports. I believe during busier times they do have a full dedicated PreCheck line.

After security, only the bar, called Upper Case Bar is open. The Beecher's won't open until May, same with the Caffe Vita stand next to the baggage claim.

Besides alcohol, the bar does serve coffee (Caffe Vita) and tea as well as sandwiches, salads, cheese plates, and pastry items.

There is fast free WiFi and power in every seat which is nice. Bathrooms are all unisex private closed stalls.

wedgetail737

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:08 am

travaz wrote:
I don't know how much they need to carry but I would imagine it is only snacks and drinks.

The E-175's have the typical Northwest Deli boxes as well as some may have the Fruit 'n' Cheese tray. First class may have meals for the longer flights to Southern CA, LAS and PHX.

BA

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 am

There's still some minor construction going on around the terminal. They're working on the walkway from the long-term economy lot (lot P4) to the terminal. I read on Twitter that the long-term economy lot is going to expand to its full capacity by this Saturday as it's already full.

Also, the Swift Green Line launches this Sunday. It will run every 10 minutes on weekdays and every 20 minutes on weekends and early mornings/evenings.

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 am

Today United starts service to DEN and SFO

Local Newspaper:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/united-f ... o-everett/

Seattle ABC TV station:
https://komonews.com/news/local/with-fi ... full-swing

BoeingGuy

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:43 am

SeaDoo wrote:
Today United starts service to DEN and SFO

Local Newspaper:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/united-f ... o-everett/

Seattle ABC TV station:
https://komonews.com/news/local/with-fi ... full-swing

Cool. I saw a departing flight this evening that may have been one of the UA flights.

Does anyone know how the load factors and advance bookings are doing for the PAE flights?

iamlucky13

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Does anyone know how the load factors and advance bookings are doing for the PAE flights?

I was curious as well, and found this link in a past discussion. It looks like it will be a few more months before it has data on Paine Field flights, since the latest data is currently from January. It sounds like it pulls from airline filings the DOT publishes on their website.

http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F4SD ... htm#SUBMIT

iamlucky13

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 pm

A minor piece of news that should help support PAE traffic: It looks like Marriott is making plans for a hotel near the terminal.

https://myeverettnews.com/2019/04/28/tw ... ine-field/

The described location is about 1.5 miles from the terminal. I presume they will have a shuttle, although I consider that walkable as long as I don't have much luggage. It also should be a little more easily accessible by bus than the Hilton at the NW corner of the field.

From public records, I see 5 adjacent properties totaling 9.15 acres there all owned by a holding company called Kaye Enterprises.

Rdh3e

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 pm

March data is scheduled to be released June 13th.

https://www.bts.gov/schedule_list?tid=211

flyinggoat

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:34 am

I just completed a trip down to PHX and back, and PAE is fantastic. Both my flights were full, and everybody I talked to were ecstatic about service to PAE. Here are some observations I made:

-The six unisex restrooms had a constant line of people. They really need more bathroom facilities.

-The gate 2 area doesn’t have a whole lot of seating space when both gates 2A and 2B have flight departing. If AS or UA upgrade to larger planes, there wouldn’t be enough seating for everyone.

-The economy lot is a bit of a hike, especially with heavy bags or rainy weather. The signage for the lot wasn’t so great either, and I think they may be missing a sign, unless I looked passed it.

Aside from that, PAE is a great alternative to SEA. I’m definitely going to be taking advantage of it.

BA

Fri May 03, 2019 4:46 pm

flyinggoat wrote:
-The economy lot is a bit of a hike, especially with heavy bags or rainy weather. The signage for the lot wasn’t so great either, and I think they may be missing a sign, unless I looked passed it.

According to their Twitter feed, they are working to improve the signage and have ordered new signs including signage for the economy lot and for the Swift Green Line.

dc10lover

Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 pm

"If AS or UA upgrade to larger planes, there wouldn’t be enough seating for everyone".

This is what I thought. Probably never see Airbus & Boeing jets at PAE.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

seabosdca

Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm

dc10lover wrote:

I doubt UA will have the volume. But AS is a different story. If I had to bet, I'd bet on a 738 or two at PAE, sooner rather than later.

BoeingGuy

Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 pm

seabosdca wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

I doubt UA will have the volume. But AS is a different story. If I had to bet, I'd bet on a 738 or two at PAE, sooner rather than later.

Anecdotally, I’ve heard that many of the AS PAE flights are going out fairly full. Is that correct?

seabosdca

Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Anecdotally, I’ve heard that many of the AS PAE flights are going out fairly full. Is that correct?

Also anecdotal, but I understand the same thing, and that for many (not all) flights AS is commanding pretty good fares.

BA

Sat May 04, 2019 12:39 am

seabosdca wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

UA appears to be doing very well in PAE, especially DEN which is often packed.

BoeingGuy

Sat May 04, 2019 12:46 am

BA wrote:
seabosdca wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

UA appears to be doing very well in PAE, especially DEN which is often packed.

Right. Some naysayers on A.net said that PAE wouldn’t do well. Small secondary airports never work.

Didn’t AS report that PAE is showing very good results?

BA

Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Right. Some naysayers on A.net said that PAE wouldn’t do well. Small secondary airports never work.

Well of course, I mean why would anyone use PAE which is supposedly out of the way in a pretty sparsely populated area and when you have SEA down south which supposedly is a breeze to get in and out of and supposedly has plenty of room for growth and expansion. ;)

BoeingGuy wrote:

Yes they did.

Alaska Air Group, parent company of Alaska Airlines and regional carrier Horizon Air, posted steady quarterly financial results Thursday, despite the February snowstorms that caused about 1,100 canceled flights as well as weak transcontinental fares between California and New York.

The full integration of Virgin America and its fleet of Airbus jets into Alaska Airlines is within sight, executives said. And the new flights out of Paine Field in Everett have yielded very positive results.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... -earnings/

BoeingGuy

Sat May 04, 2019 1:13 am

BA wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Well of course, I mean why would anyone use PAE which is supposedly out of the way in a pretty sparsely populated area and when you have SEA down south which supposedly is a breeze to get in and out of and supposedly has plenty of room for growth and expansion. ;)

BoeingGuy wrote:

Yes they did.

Alaska Air Group, parent company of Alaska Airlines and regional carrier Horizon Air, posted steady quarterly financial results Thursday, despite the February snowstorms that caused about 1,100 canceled flights as well as weak transcontinental fares between California and New York.

The full integration of Virgin America and its fleet of Airbus jets into Alaska Airlines is within sight, executives said. And the new flights out of Paine Field in Everett have yielded very positive results.

I get your sarcasm perfectly. I live in Mukilteo and work for a certain large company very close to PAE. So I know the area a bit.

PAE itself serves a cachement area of over 2,000,000. I know people who live in the Greenwood area of Seattle who just flew out of PAE. Even if you live in Bellevue or Redmond, PAE could be easier to get to.

But it won’t work.

I’m actually enjoying the limited airplane sounds and watching them takeoff and land.

smithbs

Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 am

In related news at PAE, Aviation Day for 2019 will not happen. :hissyfit:

I have talked to one person whose theory for the cancellation is that commercial service can't be worked around for the air show. However, I'm skeptical about this because Boeing would still conduct flight ops during prior Aviation Days.

Thoughts?

wnflyguy

Sat May 04, 2019 5:30 pm

smithbs wrote:

I have talked to one person whose theory for the cancellation is that commercial service can't be worked around for the air show. However, I'm skeptical about this because Boeing would still conduct flight ops during prior Aviation Days.

Thoughts?

Also the area for static displays and public temporary Ramp viewing areas by the control tower are now taken up by the terminal space. Isn't Boeing Also using space at PAE for over flow parking for undelivered MAX aircraft?

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

BoeingGuy

Sat May 04, 2019 5:38 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
smithbs wrote:

Thoughts?

Also the area for static displays and public temporary Ramp viewing areas by the control tower are now taken up by the terminal space. Isn't Boeing Also using space at PAE for over flow parking for undelivered MAX aircraft?

Flyguy

Yes, there are 737 Maxes tucked into various corners at PAE.

Rdh3e

Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 pm

BA wrote:

The full integration of Virgin America and its fleet of Airbus jets into Alaska Airlines is within sight, executives said. And the new flights out of Paine Field in Everett have yielded very positive results.[/i]

It's worth noting that those are the journalists words and not a quote from the airline.

BA

Sat May 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
It's worth noting that those are the journalists words and not a quote from the airline.

Which is fine... Journalists paraphrase in articles where appropriate. If they're summarizing a briefing where many topics were discussed, it's not always appropriate to post direct quotes.

Rdh3e

Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 pm

BA wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

Which is fine... Journalists paraphrase in articles where appropriate. If they're summarizing a briefing where many topics were discussed, it's not always appropriate to post direct quotes.

It is also entirely possible that it does not accurately reflect what was said. Journalist often get confused - like when airlines say "it's performing as (or better than) forecasted" journalist often say the results are good, but in reality the airline may have had low expectations and meeting those expectations doesn't mean results are good.

BA

Sat May 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
BA wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

It is also entirely possible that it does not accurately reflect what was said. Journalist often get confused - like when airlines say "it's performing as (or better than) forecasted" journalist often say the results are good, but in reality the airline may have had low expectations and meeting those expectations doesn't mean results are good.

What you say is true, but let's give journalists the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. It's the decent and right thing to do. If you were in their shoes, you'd want to be given that courtesy.

There are some very smart and competent journalists out there that have a good understanding of the industry they're reporting on. Dominic Gates, the journalist that wrote this article, focuses specifically on the aerospace industry.
https://www.seattletimes.com/author/dominic-gates/
https://twitter.com/dominicgates

Anyways, I did find an edited transcript here:

First off is our service at Paine Field, which began last month, offering 18 departures to 8 destinations for a greater utility and convenience for our guests that live north of Seattle. Results from the first few weeks of operation have been very positive.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-t ... 39553.html

cschleic

Sat May 04, 2019 7:20 pm

flyinggoat wrote:
-The six unisex restrooms had a constant line of people. They really need more bathroom facilities.

-The gate 2 area doesn’t have a whole lot of seating space when both gates 2A and 2B have flight departing. If AS or UA upgrade to larger planes, there wouldn’t be enough seating for everyone.

Seems very true about the restrooms. I did a quick PDX - PAE - PDX last Saturday to check it out. My flights weren't full but the flight attendants said that other days have been very crowded. The terminal was very busy around noon and the restrooms, which are single use like a restaurant, definitely are an issue. All of the restaurant employees were friendly and helpful and the second one will be a good addition when it opens. There were several terminal operations people floating around cleaning bathrooms, picking up trash, etc. One thing that might be helpful...more tables for take-out food from the restaurant - since they sell that, passengers to use for PCs, etc., since the comfy lounge chairs in the central section aren't the best for that. I didn't go outside security though. The view flying in and out is fabulous.

BA

Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 pm

cschleic wrote:
Seems very true about the restrooms. I did a quick PDX - PAE - PDX last Saturday to check it out. My flights weren't full but the flight attendants said that other days have been very crowded. The terminal was very busy around noon and the restrooms, which are single use like a restaurant, definitely are an issue. All of the restaurant employees were friendly and helpful and the second one will be a good addition when it opens. There were several terminal operations people floating around cleaning bathrooms, picking up trash, etc. One thing that might be helpful...more tables for take-out food from the restaurant - since they sell that, passengers to use for PCs, etc., since the comfy lounge chairs in the central section aren't the best for that. I didn't go outside security though. The view flying in and out is fabulous.

I know the Upper Case Bar (the only food concession currently open) is only temporarily operating as a "stop and go" since the Beecher's by behind Gate 1 isn't open yet.

When I flew out on Monday, I had a chat with the Upper Case Bar employees and they're all looking forward to Beecher's opening. They said the coffee and take-out food will move to the Beecher's restaurant when it opens as the bar really is not set up to be a stop and go.

The restroom congestion is definitely an issue. For arriving passengers, there are more stalls after exiting the secured side, so perhaps flight attendants can make an announcement telling passengers there are more restroom facilities near the ticketing and baggage claim area if the ones on the secure side are full.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos