Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

studedave

Re: Update on PAE (Everett) Commercial Passenger Service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 am

BA wrote:
At one of the three parking lots.
https://www.flypainefield.com/about/parking

Things have changed there in 30 years I guess. :old:
I went to school at EvCC through a program at Sno-Isle just down Airport Rd.
Those two old lots (EvCC's and the one near TRAMCO's old hanger) were full of cars everyday.
But there also used to be a Comet parked in one'a those lots too... ;)

7BOEING7

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 am

studedave wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Not sure if you read the comment I was responding to. He stated that the weather at PAE is often worse than it is in Seattle. I stated I don’t observe that to be the case in my experience.

[b]I see. As someone who grew up just a few miles from PAE-- near Silver Lake-- I also know a thing or two about the weather there.

Actually due to elevation differences and distance there are days when all three airports will be experiencing different weather patterns although not very often.

BA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:53 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
However, there are plenty of mornings where it’s REALLY fogged in off 526 at the north end of the PAE runway. I don’t believe the PAE ILS is CAT3. Not sure how that will go.

Correct. 16R is CAT II while 34L has no ILS.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPAE

jetmechanicdave

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 am

I drove through there today and they are putting finishing touches on the parking lot and road. It looks pretty sweet.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 am

BA wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
However, there are plenty of mornings where it’s REALLY fogged in off 526 at the north end of the PAE runway. I don’t believe the PAE ILS is CAT3. Not sure how that will go.

So 34L will be a visual or RNAV only. Not sure if the E-jets have something similar to IAN that is in many Boeing models.

Usually when the wind it out of the north, the weather is fairly clear. I’m assuming that’s why 34L doesn’t have an ILS.

BA

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:17 am

One critical airport amenity that there hasn't been much details on and is initially going to be lacking are rental cars.

Initially the plan was the small lot to the southeast of the terminal was to partly be a rental car lot, however this has been abandoned, probably they realized it's too small, and lacking space of support infrastructure such as car wash, fueling stations, etc. needed to support rental car operations.

Instead the plan is for offsite rental car lots served by shuttles from the terminal.

Looks like the first one will be Enterprise/National/Alamo which is setting up a joint rental car lot (all three are owned by the same company) on Highway 99, less than three miles from the terminal.

https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-renta ... -4596.html
https://www.nationalcar.com/en/car-rent ... -4598.html
https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/ ... 46079.html

Supposedly it will be up and running the same day flights start next Monday.

I'm sure Avis/Budget and Hertz will follow.

Avis/Budget currently have a small lot on Highway 99 very close to where the new Enterprise/National/Alamo lot is coming up, but it's small and probably won't be adequate in the long-term for Paine Field. Basically a small parking lot with a small office.

Hertz has a small lot in downtown Everett, too far to serve as an airport rental car lot and also too small.

BoeingGuy wrote:
BA wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

So 34L will be a visual or RNAV only. Not sure if the E-jets have something similar to IAN that is in many Boeing models.

Usually when the wind it out of the north, the weather is fairly clear. I’m assuming that’s why 34L doesn’t have an ILS.

Perhaps they'll look at adding ILS at 34L at some point in the future. They've been investing quite a bit in the airport lately. Last year they closed the runway for a week to repave it, requiring close coordination with Boeing since it meant a halt in test flights and delivery flights.

They also finished relocating a taxiway and opened a new ramp in December.

speedbird52

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:55 am

It feels so weird knowing there will be an airport on highway 99. I am really excited to have a local commercial airport! What time is the inaugural flight?

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:21 am

speedbird52 wrote:
It feels so weird knowing there will be an airport on highway 99. I am really excited to have a local commercial airport! What time is the inaugural flight?

The airport isn’t on Highway 99. In that area, Highway 99 is Evergreen Way which is a mile or two to the east.

In fact, SEA is on Highway 99 in Sea-Tac.

Just out of curiousity, what’s the significance of an airport on Highway 99?

scottsea

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: Lyft or Uber near PAE - I have a little place on Whidbey that's walking distance from the Clinton ferry so I'm happy to see that that the Lyft service area includes the Mukilteo ferry dock and PAE. I'd do Lyft before bothering with the airport shuttle but that's only because I can avoid driving to the dock.

BA

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:24 am

Article from the USA Today with plenty of photos:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 003698002/

speedbird52

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:32 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

The airport isn’t on Highway 99. In that area, Highway 99 is Evergreen Way which is a mile or two to the east.

Because highway 99 is fairly close to my home and it feels nice having an airport to call your own. Airports are generally associated with places of importance, so it feels like I watched my neighborhood grow up.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:49 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Because highway 99 is fairly close to my home and it feels nice having an airport to call your own. Airports are generally associated with places of importance, so it feels like I watched my neighborhood grow up.

Ahhh, I see. You live near Evergreen Way and you are very excited about PAE starting scheduled airline service. I am excited too. It means a little more noise but I'm happy to have an airport nearby that is easy to get in and out of.

I just booked my first ticket out of PAE last night.

speedbird52

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:35 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Ahhh, I see. You live near Evergreen Way and you are very excited about PAE starting scheduled airline service. I am excited too. It means a little more noise but I'm happy to have an airport nearby that is easy to get in and out of.

I just booked my first ticket out of PAE last night.

Nice! I live on the South side of the field so we rarely see planes. It would be nice to see them a little more often.

SFOtoORD

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 am

BA wrote:
Article from the USA Today with plenty of photos:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 003698002/

Wow. Impressive facility for such a small airport.

BA

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:51 am

The Swift Green Line is still scheduled to open on March 24 despite delays caused by the recent snowstorm and one of the stations requiring rebuilding following an accident.

The southbound station serving the airport was badly damaged in December when a car crashed into it, so it was taken apart. This past week it's been re-erected.
https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/233446b

The Swift Green Line will be a new frequent Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line run by Community Transit. The airport station is just an 8 to 10 minute walk from the new passenger terminal.
https://www.communitytransit.org/ride-swift

Starting March 31, Everett Transit will run Route 8 directly to the passenger terminal entrance from Everett Station.

BA

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUGhJ-LJwzY
https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... 7ad93a9bc3

Smith prides himself on the aesthetic of the Paine Field terminal, which he coined a “boutique” airport. The terminal was modeled after Zurich’s airport, and although there’s other small airports in the U.S., Smith says there aren’t any others like Paine Field.

I'm curious to see what about it was modeled after ZRH. I'm guessing maybe the Airside Center at ZRH provided some inspiration for the central lounge area.

BA

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 am

Interesting article in the Everett Herald:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/youll-fo ... n-everett/

marcogr12

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 am

So does anyone know why WN slots were given to AS? Did WN change their mind about the profitability of the routes?...As for PAE, if it's not gonna be a cheaper alternative,like a lower cost airport for LCCs, why bother the trek?Yes it 's closer for people up north but Sea-Tac has so many options domestic and international

seabosdca

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 am

marcogr12 wrote:
So does anyone know why WN slots were given to AS? Did WN change their mind about the profitability of the routes?...As for PAE, if it's not gonna be a cheaper alternative,like a lower cost airport for LCCs, why bother the trek?Yes it 's closer for people up north but Sea-Tac has so many options domestic and international

My speculation: WN was interested in making a strategic push in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago, but the decision of Delta to jump with both feet into the Seattle market, and the resulting fare war driven by Delta and Alaska, made that prospect less attractive economically.

BA

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:14 am

Three E175s ferried to PAE and ready for the inaugural:

https://twitter.com/snocounty/status/11 ... 3975559170

marcogr12 wrote:

I don't think PAE will be cheaper, not with flights capped at 24 per day, and the airlines (AS and UA) knowing that people in Snohomish County and North Seattle will be willing to pay a bit of a premium to avoid the traffic down I-5 and the hassles of Sea-Tac.

They'll need to be careful with how they price tickets though, too high and people will choose to drive to SEA where there's more options. They'll at minimum be comparable to SEA's fares, but I think they'll be a bit higher.

I think WN withdrew because they haven't been growing in SEA and have been slightly scaling back, so it doesn't make sense for them to open another station so close, that would only draw traffic away from their already shrinking SEA operation.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 am

That pic definitely makes it real.

USAirKid

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 am

BA wrote:
Three E175s ferried to PAE and ready for the inaugural:

https://twitter.com/snocounty/status/11 ... 3975559170

Ferried up as QX9987, QX9989, and QX9985. They had them staggered to about one an hour between 1900 and 2100

There is one more E175 scheduled to ferry SEA-PAE tomorrow as QX9985 at around 1600.

jplatts

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:44 pm

seabosdca wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

My speculation: WN was interested in making a strategic push in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago, but the decision of Delta to jump with both feet into the Seattle market, and the resulting fare war driven by Delta and Alaska, made that prospect less attractive economically.

BA wrote:
I think WN withdrew because they haven't been growing in SEA and have been slightly scaling back, so it doesn't make sense for them to open another station so close, that would only draw traffic away from their already shrinking SEA operation.

There is actually more demand for WN service out of SEA today than was the case 5 years ago, and here are the number of domestic passengers traveling to or from SEA on WN (Source: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1&Airport=SEA):
December 2012 - November 2013: 2,896,000 domestic passengers per year on WN
April 2013 - March 2014: 2,915,000 domestic passengers per year on WN
December 2013 - November 2014: 2,968,000 domestic passengers per year on WN
December 2017 - November 2018: 3,141,000 domestic passengers per year on WN

Even though AS and DL already serve MCO nonstop from SEA, WN could add SEA-MCO nonstop service since (a) there are over 1,000 passengers traveling between SEA and MCO per day in Q3 2018, (b) MCO is one of the largest WN focus cities that doesn't currently have nonstop service from SEA on WN, (c) WN would not face nonstop competition from ULCC's on the SEA-MCO route, and (d) there is more demand for WN service out of SEA than in some of the other markets that already have nonstop service to MCO on WN.

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm

marcogr12 wrote:

EVERYONE is scratching their head on this one still.
Rumors Had LGA/DCA slot swap for PAE.
Or PAE for DAL. Which I posted true or false.
But nothing public about the deal came out.
My guess and only a guess is it's possible since WN can't figure out foreign sales maybe BLI in it's NEAR international future. AS has Double down on PAE maybe WN could add BLI tapping into North Seattle and southern Vancouver markets.

Great day for PAE today congratulations!
Sorry the LUV airlines fell out of love with PAE.

Flyguy

jetmechanicdave

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 pm

It’s a cold crisp clear 27deg morning at PAE and planes are parked at the gates this morning. It’s gonna be cool watching the first 10am departure. It’s a great day at my home and work airport PAE.

BA

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 pm

jplatts wrote:
There is actually more demand for WN service out of SEA today than was the case 5 years ago, and here are the number of domestic passengers traveling to or from SEA on WN (Source: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1&Airport=SEA):

Those increases are almost flat in comparison to the 15 million additional passengers per year that SEA is seeing now compared to 5 years ago and it doesn't change the fact that WN has reduced the number of flights over the years.

Total landings per year at SEA by WN:

2011 - 14,131
2012 - 12,573
2013 - 12,521
2014 - 12,137
2015 - 12,853
2016 - 13,538
2017 - 12,016
2018 - 12,398

https://www.portseattle.org/page/airport-statistics

They have slightly more flights out of Portland than they do out of Seattle now.

jetmechanicdave wrote:
It’s a cold crisp clear 27deg morning at PAE and planes are parked at the gates this morning. It’s gonna be cool watching the first 10am departure. It’s a great day at my home and work airport PAE.

Enjoy!

mtnwest1979

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 pm

WN pribably figured that like anywhere, slots are a valuable asset so they picked some up. But maybe they didn't get much/anything in return after all. Perhaps never was going to use them at all.....

jetmechanicdave

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 pm

The ramp guys preparing for the first commercial flight at 10am departure. Photo credit Daniel Gorun - Anet Screener. Thanks Daniel!!

BoeingGuy

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:39 pm

jetmechanicdave wrote:
The ramp guys preparing for the first commercial flight at 10am departure. Photo credit Daniel Gorun - Anet Screener. Thanks Daniel!!

Sweet. I wish I was there in person. This darn work gets in the way.

Someone else answered my question. They ferried the airplanes in last night. I drove by on 526 mid-day yesterday and didn’t see them at that time.

Anyone know the load factors for today’s flights?

jetmechanicdave

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Photos by Daniel Gorun - Anet Photo Screener

dc10lover

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Fly Paine Field https://twitter.com/FlyPaineField

Go ahead and browse their Twitter Page.

dc10lover

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:10 pm

marcogr12 wrote:

Didn't AS give up gates at Dallas or Houston recently so WN can have more gates?

jetmechanicdave

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Water canon salute!!!

Photo by Daniel Gorun - Anet Photo Screener.

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

dc10lover wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Didn't AS give up gates at Dallas or Houston recently so WN can have more gates?

No; where did you get that idea?

BoeingGuy

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Did the first flight depart on 34 to the north? I wanted to walk outside to see it depart, but we all got pulled into a big meeting. Darn.

Anybody get a photo of the first takeoff?

SANFan

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the nice pix folks. And there's even blue sky and no rain -- what a great day for AS!

They've got a brand new terminal building all to themselves for almost a month and they'll be running their full 18-flight schedule in about a week!

I look forward to checking it all out in person when I head up there in a few months.

bb

skytaxi

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Go to the Komo 4 News Facebook page for a video of the first flight. I tried to provide a link, but it didn't work.

BoeingGuy

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm

skytaxi wrote:
Go to the Komo 4 News Facebook page for a video of the first flight. I tried to provide a link, but it didn't work.

I found the site.

https://komonews.com/news/local/histori ... gnfyCJhjR0

travaz

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 am

Fantastic video and pictures on the sites. I can't wait to escape the PHX heat and make a visit this summer

BoeingGuy

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 am

I just saw one of the QX E175s fly over QFC and land at PAE. I’m assuming PAE was north flow all day due to the weather pattern today. It was dark and I was too late at the draw to get a photo. Anyone get any other photos today?

admanager

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 am

I hadn't seen anything re the Delta response to the PAE start up in the thread. This was a targeted email I received.
GET 10,000 BONUS MILES WHEN YOU GET OUT OF SEATTLE
Terms & Conditions
Eligibility: Only SkyMiles Members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer. This offer is non-transferable.
Qualifying Activity: Qualifying tickets must be purchased after enrollment. Completion of two qualifying round-trip flights or four one-way flights will result in earning 10,000 bonus miles. Qualifying flights must be flown on the following nonstop routes only: SEA to/from ANC, BUR, EKO, EUG, FAI, FAT, GEG, JNU, KTN, LAS, LAX, LGB, MFR, OAK, ONT, PDX, PHX, PSC, PSP, RDM, RNO, SAN, SEA, SFO, SIT, SJC, SMF, SNA, or TUS.

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 am

I talked to the mayor earlier today. She said not counting press interviews, it only took five minutes to check in and get through security. She said the terminal is very nice, like a lodge or fancy hotel.

I realize there were only 3 flights today, but hopefully they can maintain the easy quick check-in and security clearance.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 am

admanager wrote:
I hadn't seen anything re the Delta response to the PAE start up in the thread. This was a targeted email I received.
GET 10,000 BONUS MILES WHEN YOU GET OUT OF SEATTLE
Terms & Conditions
Eligibility: Only SkyMiles Members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer. This offer is non-transferable.
Qualifying Activity: Qualifying tickets must be purchased after enrollment. Completion of two qualifying round-trip flights or four one-way flights will result in earning 10,000 bonus miles. Qualifying flights must be flown on the following nonstop routes only: SEA to/from ANC, BUR, EKO, EUG, FAI, FAT, GEG, JNU, KTN, LAS, LAX, LGB, MFR, OAK, ONT, PDX, PHX, PSC, PSP, RDM, RNO, SAN, SEA, SFO, SIT, SJC, SMF, SNA, or TUS.

I got a $136RT fare notification for DL SEA-PHX - that's pretty darn low. I think they are just trying fill seats but maybe in the "Spirit of Seattle" they are raining on Alaska's parade?

mtnwest1979

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am

Funny about DL email: I didn't know ( and assume they don't) fly nonstop, per email, SEA-FAT or EKO.......

dc10lover

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm

flyfresno

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:51 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Funny about DL email: I didn't know ( and assume they don't) fly nonstop, per email, SEA-FAT or EKO.......

EKO seems like an oddball route. FAT is one of the highest (maybe the highest?) domestic O&D routes from SEA in the lower 48 that Delta does not serve nonstop yet, so is this a sign of things to come? Or just a typo, which EKO likely is?

BoeingGuy

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm

flyfresno wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

EKO seems like an oddball route. FAT is one of the highest (maybe the highest?) domestic O&D routes from SEA in the lower 48 that Delta does not serve nonstop yet, so is this a sign of things to come? Or just a typo, which EKO likely is?

You could connect to EKO via SLC.

Anyone know how the load factors and advance bookings for the PAE flights are looking?

flyfresno

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:56 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

You could connect to EKO via SLC.

Anyone know how the load factors and advance bookings for the PAE flights are looking?

The terms say that the deal is only good on nonstop routes from SEA...

cschleic

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 pm

BA wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Those increases are almost flat in comparison to the 15 million additional passengers per year that SEA is seeing now compared to 5 years ago and it doesn't change the fact that WN has reduced the number of flights over the years.

2011 - 14,131
2012 - 12,573
2013 - 12,521
2014 - 12,137
2015 - 12,853
2016 - 13,538
2017 - 12,016
2018 - 12,398

They have slightly more flights out of Portland than they do out of Seattle now.

jetmechanicdave wrote:

Enjoy!

Would be interesting to see what types of planes. If WN has moved from 737-700s to -800s then passenger numbers could increase. The passenger numbers in the earlier thread do show growth. And a good chunk of that general SEA growth is international, correct? WN, and some others as well, wouldn't see that growth anyway.

BA

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 pm

San Jose and San Francisco started today. This leaves Orange County as the last destination for Alaska to add, which will start next Tuesday March 12. Between now and then, they'll also launch additional frequencies to all destinations except San Diego and Phoenix which are already at their full schedules.

Snowy conditions brought the first deicing operations for commercial flights at PAE today:

https://twitter.com/PaineField/status/1 ... 4312937472

cschleic wrote:
BA wrote:
jplatts wrote:

2011 - 14,131
2012 - 12,573
2013 - 12,521
2014 - 12,137
2015 - 12,853
2016 - 13,538
2017 - 12,016
2018 - 12,398

jetmechanicdave wrote:

Enjoy!

Would be interesting to see what types of planes. If WN has moved from 737-700s to -800s then passenger numbers could increase. The passenger numbers in the earlier thread do show growth. And a good chunk of that general SEA growth is international, correct? WN, and some others as well, wouldn't see that growth anyway.

If you're talking about the 15 million additional passengers per year since 5 years ago, it's a combination of both international and domestic. In addition to AS growing, DL has aggressively set up a small hub operation in SEA. Many new international carriers have also started up service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos