Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evank516
Topic Author

DAB New Air Service Announcement 9/12

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Looks like new air service is in the cards for DAB. Press event is at 2:30 PM Eastern Time. This is the second new air service announcement for them in a rather short period of time with B6 announcing JFK-DAB in February of 2015. Looks like the service would begin in 2019.

http://www.flydaytonafirst.com/about-da ... y_id=20355
Last edited by evank516 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

compensateme

Re: DAB New Air Service Announcement 9/12

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm

I wouldn’t consider 3.5 years to be a “rather short period of time.” :)

flymco753

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm

evank516 wrote:
Looks like new air service is in the cards for DAB. Press event is at 2:30 PM Eastern Time. This is the second new air service announcement for them in a rather short period of time with B6 announcing JFK-DAB in February of 2015. Looks like the service would begin in 2019.

I can only think of Elite, Sun Country, Frontier, or Allegiant. It's too late for domestic adds for NK and DL for sure.

DAB-ISP/PWM for elite. DAB-MSP for Sun Country. DAB-ISP, CLE, PHL, IND, STL, RDU, MSP, PVD are all possible for Frontier. Allegiant could go wherever in their network of small airports that nobody would think to fly out of on Tuesdays at 2pm.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm

compensateme wrote:
I wouldn’t consider 3.5 years to be a “rather short period of time.” :)

For DAB who before jetBlue hadn't had any new air service announcments since 2007, it's a short period of time.

Jshank83

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:38 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I can only think of Elite, Sun Country, Frontier, or Allegiant. It's too late for domestic adds for NK and DL for sure.

DAB-ISP/PWM for elite. DAB-MSP for Sun Country. DAB-ISP, CLE, PHL, IND, STL, RDU, MSP, PVD are all possible for Frontier. Allegiant could go wherever in their network of small airports that nobody would think to fly out of on Tuesdays at 2pm.

Aer Lingus has an announcement tomorrow. DAB has one tomorrow.... Soooo....

Okay even I can't pretend to put those to together. But congrats in advance fro whatever it is.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Maybe Silver to FLL and the Bahamas? With B6 there it may be beneficial to provide codeshare links to their FLL network.

727LOVER

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Wasn't there something about Sunwing a few month ago?

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Yes there was. I suppose it could be them too.

N292UX

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 pm

UA to either IAH, IAD, or ORD?

Sunwing is a possible and Sun Country is possible as well.

But my bet is on Silver Airways

727LOVER

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Could be existing airline...DL to LGA...B6 to BOS

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Unless DL announces LGA since B6 seems to be managing JFK-DAB without issue. This is the normal time of year for new air service announcements at DAB so they can launch around the time of the Daytona 500. The A220-100 might be a good fit for that type of route and aren't deliveries expected to begin next year with one of the bases to be New York?

Or maybe B6 is announcing a second JFK flight.

N292UX

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:57 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Could be existing airline...DL to LGA...B6 to BOS

Both of those seem possible. AA to DCA, DFW, or PHL seems possible too.

BWIAirport

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Beginning in 2019 (likely spring or summer) would indicate it isn't a dedicated vacation route (Mid-Atlantic/New England), or the route would begin in the winter. I like N292UX's post about UA into Texas. Along those lines, could be AA to DFW. Could even just be AA to MIA.

flymco753

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:00 pm

DL could do LGA/BOS/MSP-DAB if that's the case. Surprised they dont do MSP-SRQ.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:00 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Beginning in 2019 (likely spring or summer) would indicate it isn't a dedicated vacation route (Mid-Atlantic/New England), or the route would begin in the winter. I like N292UX's post about UA into Texas. Along those lines, could be AA to DFW. Could even just be AA to MIA.

Not necessarily. DAB traffic picks up in February and lasts most of Spring into early Summer. Most of the time new airlines start routes in February nearly coinciding with the Daytona 500. Now would be the time to announce that. There's also some bad blood between DAB and UA so I doubt it's them.

DeltaRules

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Good for DAB!

Within the last year or two, DAB put out a survey to travelers as to new airlines and destinations they might like to see the airport serve, and it seemed to be a specific list of airlines as I believe WN was notably absent. UA, F9, Silver, WS, and maybe one more were the airlines, and I think (using blanket terms instead of identifiers for major metros), Chicago, DTW, PHL, FLL, BOS, Washington, DC, YYZ were among the choices for cities. In other words, several were destinations which could be served either by new entrants and/or incumbents (with AA having ORD, PHL, DCA hubs, but F9 conceivably running PHL as well).

My money's on Silver, but anything else would be nice. I'd like DL to DTW to give me an alternative to ATL to get there, if needed. Somebody posted a rumor months ago about G4 DAB-PIT, which seems unlikely given the massive presence at SFB but you never know.

727LOVER

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Surprised they dont do MSP-SRQ.

Well....(cough)...they barely....and I mean BARELY...do SRQ-DTW :boggled:

nickpo

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 pm

My shot goes for another NYC service... or hope to have a new AA service... like DAB-MIA, not bad.

flymco753

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 pm

727LOVER wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Surprised they dont do MSP-SRQ.

Well....(cough)...they barely....and I mean BARELY...do SRQ-DTW :boggled:
High yields from MSP though. Should be high enough to survive a seasonal daily E175.

FA9295

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 pm

I would put my bets on AA to DFW and MIA or Silver Airways to TPA and FLL.
Last edited by FA9295 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Good for DAB!

Within the last year or two, DAB put out a survey to travelers as to new airlines and destinations they might like to see the airport serve, and it seemed to be a specific list of airlines as I believe WN was notably absent. UA, F9, Silver, WS, and maybe one more were the airlines, and I think (using blanket terms instead of identifiers for major metros), Chicago, DTW, PHL, FLL, BOS, Washington, DC, YYZ were among the choices for cities. In other words, several were destinations which could be served either by new entrants and/or incumbents (with AA having ORD, PHL, DCA hubs, but F9 conceivably running PHL as well).

My money's on Silver, but anything else would be nice. I'd like DL to DTW to give me an alternative to ATL to get there, if needed. Somebody posted a rumor months ago about G4 DAB-PIT, which seems unlikely given the massive presence at SFB but you never know.

I think Silver seems like a safe bet to be honest. Like I mentioned above a flight to FLL will connect not only with their own network, but also B6's network out of FLL thanks to the codeshare which could be a nice revenue driver for B6. Also this may by cause and effect bring UA coded flights back to DAB since UA has a codeshare with them as well.

DeltaRules

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:27 pm

evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Good for DAB!

I think Silver seems like a safe bet to be honest. Like I mentioned above a flight to FLL will connect not only with their own network, but also B6's network out of FLL thanks to the codeshare which could be a nice revenue driver for B6. Also this may by cause and effect bring UA coded flights back to DAB since UA has a codeshare with them as well.

All of that's valid. Also, as of now, you have to go north to go south no matter what your destination is. FLL would open up the Caribbean and South America without having to backtrack.

I'm still hoping for DL to DTW or AA to PHL/DCA/LGA because the one hub thing is killing me this week when I'm connecting through CLT just in time for a hurricane and can't route myself through another hub to get into DAB.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Good for DAB!

All of that's valid. Also, as of now, you have to go north to go south no matter what your destination is. FLL would open up the Caribbean and South America without having to backtrack.

I'm still hoping for DL to DTW or AA to PHL/DCA/LGA because the one hub thing is killing me this week when I'm connecting through CLT just in time for a hurricane and can't route myself through another hub to get into DAB.

Or even DL to LGA. They seem to have more slots than they know what to do with them and A220s coming in next year. Seems like a great aircraft for such a route if you ask me despite jetBlue on JFK-DAB. AA to ORD might be plausible as well or would that have to be a UA route?

Dominion301

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Hmmm Sunwing have DAB listed under 'flights' (i.e. without a vacation package) with 28JAN19 being the first date, with dates on Mondays and Thursdays. However, when you select a date, you get "Invalid return date". Might be them!

There was a posting here a couple of weeks ago about new Sunwing MIA services, including to YOW and YQB. However, nothing in that regard has ever shown up on their website as both YOW and YQB still only have their usual weekly FLL on Sunwing loaded.

drdisque

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I don't see Silver announcing ANY new flights until they get their aircraft situation sorted out.

I personally think it will be a ULCC or Elite.

DeltaRules

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Or even DL to LGA. They seem to have more slots than they know what to do with them and A220s coming in next year. Seems like a great aircraft for such a route if you ask me despite jetBlue on JFK-DAB. AA to ORD might be plausible as well or would that have to be a UA route?

DL ran DAB-LGA a couple winters seasonally on E175s. I think it was Saturday-only.

I think you could make the case for ORD for either airline. AA is established at DAB (even though it's all former US, which doesn't mean much), but UA ran ORD when they were there 2006-08 on weekends.

dabpit

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 pm

evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

N292UX wrote:

I thought Sunwing already announced flights to DAB, no?

N292UX wrote:

Silver to FLL is my bet.

evank516 wrote:
Unless DL announces LGA since B6 seems to be managing JFK-DAB without issue. This is the normal time of year for new air service announcements at DAB so they can launch around the time of the Daytona 500. The A220-100 might be a good fit for that type of route and aren't deliveries expected to begin next year with one of the bases to be New York?

Delta has done a seasonal (Saturday only) flights between DAB and LGA in the past.

DeltaRules wrote:
Somebody posted a rumor months ago about G4 DAB-PIT, which seems unlikely given the massive presence at SFB but you never know.

An Allegiant announcement is possible, PIT-DAB has been rumored for a long time so doubt it will happen, but Allegiant normally does Tuesday announcements.

If an existing airline announcement more than likely American adding service to MIA or PHL or JetBlue to BOS.
If a new airline then I am willing to bet Silver to FLL or United to IAH or EWR.

Rookinla

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm

DAB is now listed in the flight drop down menu on the sunwing.ca site. I’m going with this. And this was the article in question, but not yet announced.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/ ... ate=ampart
Last edited by Rookinla on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 pm

dabpit wrote:
evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

N292UX wrote:

I thought Sunwing already announced flights to DAB, no?

N292UX wrote:

Silver to FLL is my bet.

evank516 wrote:

Delta has done a seasonal (Saturday only) flights between DAB and LGA in the past.

DeltaRules wrote:
Somebody posted a rumor months ago about G4 DAB-PIT, which seems unlikely given the massive presence at SFB but you never know.

An Allegiant announcement is possible, PIT-DAB has been rumored for a long time so doubt it will happen, but Allegiant normally does Tuesday announcements.

If an existing airline announcement more than likely American adding service to MIA or PHL or JetBlue to BOS.
If a new airline then I am willing to bet Silver to FLL or United to IAH or EWR.

No, Sunwing never announced flights, but there was an article about them considering adding YYZ-DAB.

Yes, DL has done seasonal LGA-DAB plenty of times in the past, and in 2008 it actually ran daily on a CR9 alongside FL's LGA-DAB on a 717.

I wouldn't say Allegiant is impossible for sure, especially since B6 was also rumored for a long time, and about 10 years later it finally happened.

I just can't see UA coming back to DAB after their not so amicable exit back in 2007.

DAB is now listed in the flight drop down menu on the sunwing.ca site. I’m going with this.

Yes, but if you try to book, it lists flights to MCO with hotel options in Daytona Beach.
Last edited by evank516 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Super80Fan

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Taking an educated guess on Sunwing from Toronto, seasonal.

WeatherPilot

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm going to guess F9 announcing BTV-DAB tomorrow. NK and G4 already service PBG so BTV wouldn't make sense. With BTV and DAB both happening tomorrow I could see this as a route aimed at Canadian pax. Could be other routes F9 announces as well, maybe BTV-MCO, TPA, RDU?

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Taking an educated guess on Sunwing from Toronto, seasonal.

How educated besides the News-Journal Article published a few months ago?

dabpit

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm

And it Is Sunwing starting February 4th with flights to YYZ.

YYZ-DAB WG070 0620-0915
DAB-YYZ WG071 1025-1305

Looks like just Mondays and Thursdays
Last edited by dabpit on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

master14225

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I can bet it's YYZ-DAB, it's a route that is totally viable and Sunwing had interests to run this route.

DeltaRules

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm

AC was said to be adding YYZ-DAB around 9/11 (edit: the 9/11 everyone knows the date for, not today) but it never happened. I seem to remember reading operational issues with the CRJ-200 on here years later didn't help.

Rookinla

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:53 pm

evank516 wrote:
Unless DL announces LGA

DAB is now listed in the flight drop down menu on the sunwing.ca site. I’m going with this.

Yes, but if you try to book, it lists flights to MCO with hotel options in Daytona Beach.

Yes because it hasn’t been announced yet. Don’t look at the package vacation tab. Look at flights only. Only cities actually serviced by WG are listed. DAB is there. It’s WG.

ryan78

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Looks like its loaded on the Sunwing website. Thursdays and Mondays. That'll be perfect for the Daytona weekend, I'm gonna have to look into that!

WG070 - YYZ | 06:30 | DAB | 09:15 | 738
WG071 - DAB | 10:25 | YYZ | 13:05 | 738

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 pm

ryan78 wrote:
Looks like its loaded on the Sunwing website. Thursdays and Mondays. That'll be perfect for the Daytona weekend, I'm gonna have to look into that!

Wow a 738 too!

DeltaRules

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:38 pm

ryan78 wrote:

Wow, that's great news! Now some of the seemingly plentiful Ontario/Quebec license plates you see in the area can leave the car at home. Do we have a start date?

Also, should the service be hidden until the announcement tomorrow on Wikipedia?

flymco753

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Good for DAB!

I used to think DL would add DTW-DAB. I'm fairly confident that'll never happen. It would hinder DL's ATL operation.

Gsasala

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I used to think DL would add DTW-DAB. I'm fairly confident that'll never happen. It would hinder DL's ATL operation.

I could see AA having a flight from DFW maybe DCA most likely not LGA since they don't have enough spots, and most people fly through PHL when going to Europe. I hope they add a new route because I hate CLT

Gsasala

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:54 pm

I saw somewhere in the chat about a flight from Pittsburgh to Daytona on allegiant air I think it could work since the flights going to and from Orlando to Pittsburgh seem to be full and most people when visiting Florida go to the beach that a flight to Daytona might be more attractive than a flight to Orlando Sanford

cvgComair

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Gsasala wrote:
I saw somewhere in the chat about a flight from Pittsburgh to Daytona on allegiant air I think it could work since the flights going to and from Orlando to Pittsburgh seem to be full and most people when visiting Florida go to the beach that a flight to Daytona might be more attractive than a flight to Orlando Sanford

Allegiant is looking at a lot of stuff right now, but expansion is on hold for the moment due to the MD80s being retired. Once more A320s come in over the fall/winter, there will be quite a few new routes starting in the spring.

Gsasala

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Gsasala wrote:

Allegiant is looking at a lot of stuff right now, but expansion is on hold for the moment due to the MD80s being retired. Once more A320s come in over the fall/winter, there will be quite a few new routes starting in the spring.

I would love to see this flight happen since I like how cheap allegiant is but I don't like Sanford, I think it's creepy. Plus this will make flights cheaper

DeltaRules

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

I've got a family friend who might be able to put this to good use. He usually has to go to BUF and drive into Canada so, if this is cheap enough, it might work perfectly.

727LOVER

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 am

(cough)...first person to mention Sunwing in this thread was yours truly.... :lol: :praise: :praise: :praise:

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:39 am

727LOVER wrote:
(cough)...first person to mention Sunwing in this thread was yours truly.... :lol: :praise: :praise: :praise:

I actually mentioned it first, but I edited it out of my OP ;)

727LOVER

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 am

evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

WHY ? It was relevant information? It's a good add. They're only in 3 other Florida airports.....or is it 4?

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 am

727LOVER wrote:
evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

WHY ? It was relevant information? It's a good add. They're only in 3 other Florida airports.....or is it 4?

I checked Sunwing's website and couldn't find DAB the first time so I didn't want to say anything right away.

ATA767

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:46 am

don't be surprised if it is Spirit Airlines......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos