kiowa
Topic Author

India has the highest percent of female pilots.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Rather suprising to me. Of the US carriers, United had the highest percentage and Southwest hires the fewest women.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... le-pilots/

lightsaber

Re: India has the highest percent of female pilots.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Err... Norwegian has the fewest women. Southwest in the USA. I believe the barrier to entry is the requirement to enter with flight certification. That requires flying in countries that... aren't friendly to women. Just my :twocents:

If it wasn't for BA, LH, UA, and the Indian. Why aren't the Indian airlines in the graphic? The article is not well composed. Kudos for hiring women. The issue for pilots is time from home which needs to be a non-aviation discussion. I would think airlines that have a large number of lines that start and end at the home base would be more attractive to women.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

Cactusjuba

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:58 pm

With regards to being selected for an interview, Southwest has always filtered pilot candidates with higher quantity flying experience as compared to other US carriers. Coming from a civilian pathway, it is extremely rare for new hires to have <5 years flying regional or corporate with at least 1000 hours as a captain. Very few under age 30. United quite frankly wants the same experience, but female candidates usually can be invited in for interviews with very much less experience, as United places higher value in diversity. Delta and American have followed the same pattern for years now too.

I only bring this up to give meaning to the numbers. United has more women pilots because they have actively recruited them while they were young. DL and AA have followed suit, but UA has been doing it longer. SW filters out less seasoned pilots and they don’t adjust hiring standards to promote gender diversity. When a female pilot gets competitive for SW at say, 5k flight hours and 1k PIC, they have likely already had opportunities elsewhere.

n471wn

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 am

Great that SWA has high standards—diversity that results in less qualified women being hired over more qualified men is simply unfair—-another reason I love LUV

kiowa
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 am

Nice spin. I totally dislike Southwest but that is not the topic. You do not think that Southwest discriminates against women pilots and that is not the topic either. The surprise here is that women make up such a large percentage of the Indian pilots.

Cactusjuba

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:12 am

kiowa wrote:
Nice spin. I totally dislike Southwest but that is not the topic. You do not think that Southwest discriminates against women pilots and that is not the topic either. The surprise here is that women make up such a large percentage of the Indian pilots.

I'd love to know the reason for so many women Indian pilots.

In your original post, you bring up UA and SW respective to their pilot gender ratios. Yet you find it off topic if I provide insight for the difference you elected to highlight?

Cactusjuba

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I'd love to know the reason for so many women pilots in India.

In your original post, you bring up UA and SW respective to their pilot gender ratios. Yet you find it off topic if I provide insight for the difference you elected to highlight?

kiowa
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I should have used the quote in my reply. I did not find your response off topic, it was in reponse to n471wn.

Gr8Circle

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:11 pm

AI and the now defunct IC, started recruiting women pilots back in the 1980s....up to the 1980s, bulk of the pilots that joined AI and IC were from the Indian Air force, thus mainly men....starting in the 80s, lot of people took up flying directly by getting their licenses through flying schools....the percentage of ex-IAF pilots started dropping....among fresh pilots who came directly from civilian life, there were a good deal of women taking up flying as a career......also, the private airlines started growing in strength from the 90s onwards and that has ultimately led to the current situation....if you walk through any Indian airport terminal you will usually see a couple of women with 3 or 4 stripes on the shoulder...

smithbs

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Earlier this year I flew AS on SEA-LAS with an entirely female flight crew - both pilots and all cabin crew were women. I realized that was the first time I could remember where that had happened.

It's a new world...

n471wn

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:45 pm

kiowa wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

I should have used the quote in my reply. I did not find your response off topic, it was in reponse to n471wn.

You mentioned SWA in your original post and then you criticize me for being off topic when I respond? You are way too sensitive for this forum and let me suggest you just be an observer.

Sean-SAN-

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm

I would bet this has less to do with egalitarianism and more to do with patronage. In places like India, only the children of very wealthy and connected parents can afford flight school. These kids, depending on their parents level of connectedness can get jobs at those respective airlines once they finish training.

kiowa
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:28 pm

n471wn wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

You mentioned SWA in your original post and then you criticize me for being off topic when I respond? You are way too sensitive for this forum and let me suggest you just be an observer.

Ok. You may suggest anything you like but that reply is also off topic.

rbretas

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 am

Any data from Japan? The most recent I could find was from 2009 and said less than 1% of pilots in Japan were female.

kiowa
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm

I did not see anything about Japan. I understand that the cost of flying in Japan is quite high resulting in a thin stream of civilian pilots into commercial aviation.

Cactusjuba

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Many Asian airlines select cadets into ab initio programs, and pay for all their flight training. A large percentage come to the USA for their initial training because the costs are lower. If a student leaves the airline within an agreed upon time, they must repay training costs. I'm pretty sure Japanese carriers do this. But you'll also find individuals coming over on own their own self financed.

maint123

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:22 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
I would bet this has less to do with egalitarianism and more to do with patronage. In places like India, only the children of very wealthy and connected parents can afford flight school. These kids, depending on their parents level of connectedness can get jobs at those respective airlines once they finish training.

Upper middle class not wealthy. The wealthy dont want such a taxing (No pun) job.
Anyone who can pony up the money and is healthy can learn flying in India. Quite a few flying clubs here.
Indian middle class students take massive loans to study in USA , up to 30k USD per year , so taking loans for pilot training is also doable. Since total cost varies from 40 to 70k USD.
The high percent of women pilots in India as compared to other countries is a nice surprise , though India has had commercial female pilots from the 60s.