User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:31 pm

.
What to think about this.. :scratchchin: Fliegerfaust is usually well informed on BBD.

The New Airbus A100

Airbus would be acquiring for free the CRJ program in whole or in part according to what I was told. Really? Airbus commitments would be to further push the sales and including the CRJ in their product line-up renaming the CRJ as the A100.

The 3 CRJ currently being made by Bombardier would be renamed A100-700, A100-900 and A100-1000 replacing the CRJ-700, CRJ-900 and CRJ-1000. Do you believe this? Take it or leave it, that's what I was told. Leave your comments at the bottom or the Fliegerfaust Facebook page.

Airbus would move out its production from the current factory in Mirabel to make 100% of the space available to the A220 assembly.

The CRJ production would remain in Quebec for a certain minimum number of years, even though the Airbus factory in Mobile, Alabama is considered. Airbus would be building a small hangar next to the current Airbus A220 Mirabel factory to accommodate the CRJ assembly, I mean, the A100

What's in for Bombardier? First, it would mark the completion of the strategic plan of totally leaving the Commercial Aircraft business, CSeries gone, Q400 gone, CRJ gone.

Bombardier, as with the CSeries, would then also become a supplier like with the A220/CSeries but to a smaller extent. It would be closing its "Commercial Aircraft" division saving all its associated production, operational, sales and marketing expenses. Lean and Clean...

The wings of the CRJ are already made at the assembly plan. Bombardier is the maker of the aircraft cockpit at Ville St-Laurent/Montreal.

New Engine
Airbus could also implement enhancements to the CRJ (then A100) by upgrading its engine providing better operating cost for its owners.

Stay tuned for more on this…


https://www.fliegerfaust.com/insider-2600050951.html

:wideeyed:


Maybe GTF engines? Even the CRJ 1000 is 30% lighter than the A220-100.

Not sure if this is a good idea or would become a loss making distraction..

Image


Image
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 8589
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 pm

First of all, Sylvain Faust is only well informed when it comes to C series production. Everything else he says can be taken with huge grains of salt and is often times wrong more than right (basically every airline on earth has been on the verge of ordering the C series if we believe him until they mysteriously drop out and are never talked about again).

Second I don’t see why BBD would give the CRJ away for free. Especially since they still build and sell the related Challenger 350/650.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Polot wrote:
First of all, Sylvain Faust is only well informed when it comes to C series production. Everything else he says can be taken with huge grains of salt and is often times wrong more than right (basically every airline on earth has been on the verge of ordering the C series if we believe him until they mysteriously drop out and are never talked about again).

Second I don’t see why BBD would give the CRJ away for free. Especially since they still build and sell the related Challenger 350/650.


The article says :

First, it would mark the completion of the strategic plan of totally leaving the Commercial Aircraft business, CSeries gone, Q400 gone, CRJ gone.


Bombardier invested a lot & wasn't very succesfull in aviation lately.

Maybe the investors, family, risk sharing governments moved into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik mode now.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 8589
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:47 pm

keesje wrote:
Polot wrote:
First of all, Sylvain Faust is only well informed when it comes to C series production. Everything else he says can be taken with huge grains of salt and is often times wrong more than right (basically every airline on earth has been on the verge of ordering the C series if we believe him until they mysteriously drop out and are never talked about again).

Second I don’t see why BBD would give the CRJ away for free. Especially since they still build and sell the related Challenger 350/650.


The article says :

First, it would mark the completion of the strategic plan of totally leaving the Commercial Aircraft business, CSeries gone, Q400 gone, CRJ gone.


Bombardier invested a lot & wasn't very succesfull in aviation lately.

Maybe the investors, family, risk sharing governments moved into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik mode now.

You can get out of the business by also selling the program. I would think BBD would try that first before just giving it to someone for free.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:55 pm

keesje wrote:
Q400 gone

??? I wasn’t aware of this. Didn’t they just get some fresh orders for the Q400?
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 4956
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:55 pm

God, I hope not. It's the worst jet to fly on from a passenger perspective.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15616
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:58 pm

I doubt there is a business case.
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Polot wrote:
keesje wrote:
Polot wrote:
First of all, Sylvain Faust is only well informed when it comes to C series production. Everything else he says can be taken with huge grains of salt and is often times wrong more than right (basically every airline on earth has been on the verge of ordering the C series if we believe him until they mysteriously drop out and are never talked about again).

Second I don’t see why BBD would give the CRJ away for free. Especially since they still build and sell the related Challenger 350/650.


The article says :

First, it would mark the completion of the strategic plan of totally leaving the Commercial Aircraft business, CSeries gone, Q400 gone, CRJ gone.


Bombardier invested a lot & wasn't very succesfull in aviation lately.

Maybe the investors, family, risk sharing governments moved into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik mode now.

You can get out of the business by also selling the program. I would think BBD would try that first before just giving it to someone for free.


"For free" like the CSeries. Nothing is for free.

When you are taking over a program like this, that means
- hiring thousands of people,
- inheriting a complete supply chain,
- depts direct / indirect
- supplier and customer contracts,
- aftermarket obligations
- investment ahead to make it a success.

Taking a lot of risk. That's why it seldom happens.

More often competitors prefer to let a company go belly up first & than cherry pick what/ who they like.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
Dominion301
Posts: 1507
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Get out of commercial aviation? The Q400 is still around. Clearly Airbus would not be permitted to buy that.
 
N415XJ
Posts: 834
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm

PM wrote:
God, I hope not. It's the worst jet to fly on from a passenger perspective.


The -200 is for sure the worst commercial aircraft in widespread service today, but I've never had an issue with the -700 or -900, which feel very similar to the E-Jets IMO. Not great, but not uncomfortable either. Just average.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Get out of commercial aviation? The Q400 is still around. Clearly Airbus would not be permitted to buy that.


Q400 has lost against ATR -600s. Apparently airlines have no need for speed. SpiceJet placed a "big" order out of nowhere last year, that was re-celebrated on Farnborough. Q400 is what it is, an aftermarket project.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
baje427
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:20 pm

It would just mark the end of the Q400 which is not surprising I also predicted BBD will drop out the commercial market and stick the the business jets so this deal if true is not a shock.
 
TheKennady2
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm

N415XJ wrote:
PM wrote:
God, I hope not. It's the worst jet to fly on from a passenger perspective.


The -200 is for sure the worst commercial aircraft in widespread service today, but I've never had an issue with the -700 or -900, which feel very similar to the E-Jets IMO. Not great, but not uncomfortable either. Just average.


Agreed, the -200s are uncomfortable with the low windows and cramped and outdated cabins. The Newer -700s and 900Nextgens i think are actually quite nice, ive had some comfy flights on both. The main cabin door is a little weired and they are lower to the ground, but i am all for he CRJ products as they are a rare T-Tail rear mounted engine aircraft. I hope more are sold.
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 pm

keesje wrote:
.
What to think about this.. :scratchchin: Fliegerfaust is usually well informed on BBD.
[i]The New Airbus A100
Airbus would be acquiring for free the CRJ program in whole or in part according to what I was told. Really? Airbus commitments would be to further push the sales and including the CRJ in their product line-up renaming the CRJ as the A100.


The CRJ700/900 should have normally survived as is for some time. If scope clauses remain as is (likely), its only present/future competitor still remain the E175E1. Other models are too heavy.

Now, if Boeing actually acquires Embraer, then there's is big potential for supplier's/components cost decreases, which then would also translate into selling the E175E1 for less. That's where an A100 now makes sense, benefitting from Airbus's supply chain..
 
User avatar
767333ER
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm

keesje wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Get out of commercial aviation? The Q400 is still around. Clearly Airbus would not be permitted to buy that.


Q400 has lost against ATR -600s. Apparently airlines have no need for speed. SpiceJet placed a "big" order out of nowhere last year, that was re-celebrated on Farnborough. Q400 is what it is, an aftermarket project.

Really because I know of a few airlines rather close to home that find the extra speed useful and find the plane iteself more useful than the ATR. In fact there are rumors for more orders floating around here and there. The ATR may be more attractive to the masses in places where they don’t need the speed, performance, or capability in icing, but there are places where the Q400 does win, that is if the operator has set up a max program that can get them to run reliably.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T
 
User avatar
NYPECO
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:09 pm

"A100-1000" sounds very strange.
 
cheapgreek
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:15 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:
PM wrote:
God, I hope not. It's the worst jet to fly on from a passenger perspective.


The -200 is for sure the worst commercial aircraft in widespread service today, but I've never had an issue with the -700 or -900, which feel very similar to the E-Jets IMO. Not great, but not uncomfortable either. Just average.


Agreed, the -200s are uncomfortable with the low windows and cramped and outdated cabins. The Newer -700s and 900Nextgens i think are actually quite nice, ive had some comfy flights on both. The main cabin door is a little weired and they are lower to the ground, but i am all for he CRJ products as they are a rare T-Tail rear mounted engine aircraft. I hope more are sold.


There was some talk a few years ago about upgrading the 200, new engines, wings, etc. Still must be a need for a 50 seat RJ for small markets. As for as comfort, I'll take a 200 over an E-145, now that's a cramped cabin.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 pm

I think the CRJ 200 are out of production, it's about the 700, 900 and -1000 I guess. A while ago BBD said they thought new engines might not be a good idea. Not sure if they would have done it if it was a good idea, they didn't haave the resources/ cash..

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bombardier-will-not-replace-crjs-cf34s-with-new-eng-449649/

Often something is a bad idea until it is a good idea..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
As for as comfort, I'll take a 200 over an E-145, now that's a cramped cabin.

The Embraer 145 is one of my favourite aircraft. I felt privileged every time I travelled aboard one. I love the A-seats; you get a window seat and an aisle seat at the same time. The windows are big and located at the perfect place in the cabin.
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Surely the -1000 will be eating into Cseries. Although a re-engined upgrades CRJ700/705 would surely be a winner for the US regionals providing the scope clauses wouldnt change?
 
mhkansan
Posts: 816
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:
As for as comfort, I'll take a 200 over an E-145, now that's a cramped cabin.

The Embraer 145 is one of my favourite aircraft. I felt privileged every time I travelled aboard one. I love the A-seats; you get a window seat and an aisle seat at the same time. The windows are big and located at the perfect place in the cabin.


The window positioning can't be overstated. The way the windows connect to the cabin makes such a huge difference in airliners. Its also why I love the 787. The ERJ has the best windows of any commercial airplane save the 787. They're gigantic! The CRJ windows are what make that plane feel so terrible.
 
User avatar
keesje
Topic Author
Posts: 11770
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
Surely the -1000 will be eating into Cseries. Although a re-engined upgrades CRJ700/705 would surely be a winner for the US regionals providing the scope clauses wouldnt change?


I think the CRJ-1000 maxes out at 100 seats and A220-100 has 25% higher seat capacity. Limted overlap. New engines would be GE Passport that replaced CF34 on the Global Business jets.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 pm

keesje wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Surely the -1000 will be eating into Cseries. Although a re-engined upgrades CRJ700/705 would surely be a winner for the US regionals providing the scope clauses wouldnt change?


I think the CRJ-1000 maxes out at 100 seats and A220-100 has 25% higher seat capacity. Limted overlap. New engines would be GE Passport that replaced CF34 on the Global Business jets.


Technically it's 104 seats:
https://commercialaircraft.bombardier.c ... ochure.pdf

But otherwise, knowing how "well" CRJ1000 sold, I just don't see how there would be any overlap. CRJ is simply not optimized for such a long fuseluge.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Maybe something for ATR?
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5445
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Hope not. The CRJ's are awful from a passengers perspective. Hate those things.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 pm

There’s still the problem of balance re-engining CRJ700/900 to the Passport. The Passport came in heavy and required some “adjustments” on the Global 7500. It’s also poorly placed for commuter jet work as its optimized for long, high-altitude cruise segments.

Gf
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15616
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:47 pm

keesje wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Surely the -1000 will be eating into Cseries. Although a re-engined upgrades CRJ700/705 would surely be a winner for the US regionals providing the scope clauses wouldnt change?


I think the CRJ-1000 maxes out at 100 seats and A220-100 has 25% higher seat capacity. Limted overlap. New engines would be GE Passport that replaced CF34 on the Global Business jets.

While there is an intent to offer a high bypass passport, it is such a major weight balance issue that there will be no CRJ-200NEO. 700, or a new 750... That would be the model. A 900 would follow. I'm not sure there is enough MTOW to enable a -1000 re-engine (too little fuel capacity after adding the new engine weight).

I wouldn't rule out the PW1200 for time to market, but I believe GE has the advantage (better core for the mission).

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
Utah744
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm

NYPECO wrote:
"A100-1000" sounds very strange.

If Hawaiian bought them they could call them "Hawaii 5-0s"
You are never too old to learn something stupid
 
N415XJ
Posts: 834
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:16 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

The -200 is for sure the worst commercial aircraft in widespread service today, but I've never had an issue with the -700 or -900, which feel very similar to the E-Jets IMO. Not great, but not uncomfortable either. Just average.


Agreed, the -200s are uncomfortable with the low windows and cramped and outdated cabins. The Newer -700s and 900Nextgens i think are actually quite nice, ive had some comfy flights on both. The main cabin door is a little weired and they are lower to the ground, but i am all for he CRJ products as they are a rare T-Tail rear mounted engine aircraft. I hope more are sold.


There was some talk a few years ago about upgrading the 200, new engines, wings, etc. Still must be a need for a 50 seat RJ for small markets. As for as comfort, I'll take a 200 over an E-145, now that's a cramped cabin.

I find the 145 vastly superior to the -200. The windows are huge and actually placed correctly at eye level, and on the left side of the cabin you can get both a window and an aisle. The -200s cabin may technically be larger but the windows and A side seats make the 145 feel much more roomy IMO.
 
DarthLobster
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:24 pm

I thought Airbus only bought the CSeries, not the entirety of BBD’s commercial line.
 
DarthLobster
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Utah744 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
"A100-1000" sounds very strange.

If Hawaiian bought them they could call them "Hawaii 5-0s"


And then get sued by CBS...
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
I thought Airbus only bought the CSeries, not the entirety of BBD’s commercial line.


That’s correct, it’s speculation at this point that Airbus will buy or be handed the remainder of BBD Commercial Aviation.


GF
 
User avatar
NYPECO
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:29 pm

N415XJ wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:

Agreed, the -200s are uncomfortable with the low windows and cramped and outdated cabins. The Newer -700s and 900Nextgens i think are actually quite nice, ive had some comfy flights on both. The main cabin door is a little weired and they are lower to the ground, but i am all for he CRJ products as they are a rare T-Tail rear mounted engine aircraft. I hope more are sold.


There was some talk a few years ago about upgrading the 200, new engines, wings, etc. Still must be a need for a 50 seat RJ for small markets. As for as comfort, I'll take a 200 over an E-145, now that's a cramped cabin.

I find the 145 vastly superior to the -200. The windows are huge and actually placed correctly at eye level, and on the left side of the cabin you can get both a window and an aisle. The -200s cabin may technically be larger but the windows and A side seats make the 145 feel much more roomy IMO.


:checkmark: Agree, Embraer 145s are awesome to ride in.

Utah744 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
"A100-1000" sounds very strange.

If Hawaiian bought them they could call them "Hawaii 5-0s"


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 pm

keesje wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Surely the -1000 will be eating into Cseries. Although a re-engined upgrades CRJ700/705 would surely be a winner for the US regionals providing the scope clauses wouldnt change?


I think the CRJ-1000 maxes out at 100 seats and A220-100 has 25% higher seat capacity. Limted overlap. New engines would be GE Passport that replaced CF34 on the Global Business jets.


First, the CF-34 was never installed on Globals, just the Challenger 601, 604, 605 and 650. The Globals ha e RR BR710 engines, soon to replaced with RR Pearls. The Passport exceeded its original designed weight causing some late redesign in the G7500.

Second, the Passport, and the newer high compression engines are much heavier than the CF-34 causing balance issues. Engineering a fix will add weight, in addition to the engine weight, making the TOGW likely exceed the 86,000 pound scope limit OR, as Lightsaber stated, restrict range to be uneconomic in the US, anyway.

GF
 
User avatar
FlightLevel360
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Wait, WTF?!
 
rbrunner
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:08 pm

NYPECO wrote:
"A100-1000" sounds very strange.

It does now, but once you get used to it...
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14493
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Maybe Airbus getting it for “free” involves a royalty arrangement. Airbus takes over in exchange for having a license to use the designs and patents.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 pm

Seriously, its collusion. A and B have done this on purpose with Bombardier and Embrear to have a duopoly.
 
workhorse
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:44 am

Polot wrote:
Second I don’t see why BBD would give the CRJ away for free. Especially since they still build and sell the related Challenger 350/650.


Are they both built on the same location? I thought yes (in Mirabel) but now I see that the Challengers are built in Dorval. Why is that? Aren't they supposed to have the same cross section and thus be built on the same line (like the 737 and 757 back in the time)?
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2088
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:50 am

I don't see much value in the CR9 and CRK. A clean-sheet design is needed; that is a 40-year old design stretched multiple times from the first Challenger that entered service in 1978. This is attempting to compete with the much newer E-Jet design.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:53 am

Two different lines, two different planes. The 350 is unrelated to the 600-series planes. The 300 was designed in KICT by Learjet for production in KICT. Production moved to Montreal after about LN 20-030. The 600 line was originally at Cartierville, but moved to Dorval. When the CRJ sales took off, Dorval couldn’t provide enough space, so moved to Mirabel where, no doubt, the QC government gave them an excellent deal on land.

The CRJ 900 is still pretty efficient on fuel burns, meets the US market requirements and is sufficiently cheap to buy and operate. There’s nothing new that would make the business case to invest in a new design.

GF
 
User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:40 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:07 am

If BBD really wants to offload the CRJ, would the Chinese be interested in it? Perhaps Airbus would want to prevent that kind of thing from happening.
 
User avatar
Slug71
Posts: 1149
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:35 am

What's the benefit?

The CRJ900 and CRJ1000 (a 20 year old design) pretty much competes with the E175-E2 (and Q400 by seating) and E-190-E2, a much newer design?
 
User avatar
ODwyerPW
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:30 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:46 am

Airbus would be offering a plane with seat widths less than 18".... hmmmm… :scratchchin:
learning never stops.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 am

mhkansan wrote:
The window positioning can't be overstated. The way the windows connect to the cabin makes such a huge difference in airliners. Its also why I love the 787. The ERJ has the best windows of any commercial airplane save the 787. They're gigantic! The CRJ windows are what make that plane feel so terrible.

A few years ago I had booked flights on the Estonian Air CRJ900. I was really looking forward to fly on this good looking aircraft. Once inside I found out all the windows were misaligned. That took away the fun of flying it.
 
ewt340
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:22 am

Should have named it A700, A900 and A1000 instead. Sounds more modern and less complicated to market.
 
EBT
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 am

Purely in the realms of speculation, but I have long suspected that the CSeries deal was only the thin edge of the wedge for BBD and Airbus. The way I see it, the Beaudoins are probably looking for a long-term exit path from commercial aviation and Airbus is looking to expand its product offering. I've thought that could see Airbus take over the remaining commercial programs at BBD, and sell its half-share in ATR to Leonardo. If - and it's a big IF - there is anything to this report, perhaps that could all eventuate.
 
User avatar
LaunchDetected
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 am

EBT wrote:
Purely in the realms of speculation, but I have long suspected that the CSeries deal was only the thin edge of the wedge for BBD and Airbus. The way I see it, the Beaudoins are probably looking for a long-term exit path from commercial aviation and Airbus is looking to expand its product offering. I've thought that could see Airbus take over the remaining commercial programs at BBD, and sell its half-share in ATR to Leonardo. If - and it's a big IF - there is anything to this report, perhaps that could all eventuate.


I don't see why Airbus would look to sell its ATR share, ATRs are commercialy successful. And if Airbus buy all the Bombardier commercial offer like speculated, the Q400 would be out, leaving ATR almost alone on its market.

There is too much work to do to organize A220 ramp-up in the next years, i can't see Airbus fighting on another front in Canada (even if it's a small one).
Caravelle lover
 
EBT
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 am

LaunchDetected wrote:
I don't see why Airbus would look to sell its ATR share, ATRs are commercialy successful. And if Airbus buy all the Bombardier commercial offer like speculated, the Q400 would be out, leaving ATR almost alone on its market.


Simple reason - they do not want to invest any further in ATR to build a larger tubroprop. Leonardo, or Finmeccanica as it was, has been keen for ATR to push ahead with a 100 seat turboprop based on a modular design that could also be the basis for a military transport. Airbus has been dithering on it, likely because any new design is going to have to be radically different to the ATR 72 to be certificated under today's rules. Add to that, the Airbus Group overall seems to be favouring a move towards electric propulsion for regional aircraft, so I think the current ATR shareholder set-up has a limited life.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6082
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Airbus A100, Fliegerfaust. Airbus might buy & upgrade CRJ line.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:01 am

baje427 wrote:
It would just mark the end of the Q400 which is not surprising I also predicted BBD will drop out the commercial market and stick the the business jets so this deal if true is not a shock.

Plot twist: BBD sells the Q line to Embraer who gets bought out by/collaborates extensively with Boeing.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos