Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

LATAM loses emotional support dog

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry if this already has a thread., I looked and didn't see one, so...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/09/0 ... light.html

Okay, so it looks like the pooch was supposed to be in the cargo hold, in a carrier, and not in the cabin, so for everyone from recent threads who hate pets in the cabin, that didn't happen here. LATAM didn't put him aboard due to a "ramp issue," and then lost him? An employee took the dog home and then he somehow escaped? This definitely does not look like the standard way to handle animals! I an understand a pet not making the plane if the rampers somehow made an error, there was a miscommunication, etc. Mistakes happen, and we're all human. What I don't understand is what happened after the dog wasn't loaded. Does LATAM have a policy for handling animals in such a circumstance? I'm going to suppose that either they don't, or it wasn't followed given that an employee took the dog home. Does anyone know?

Thoughts?

As an animal lover, I really hope they find the pup soon.

Bob

Mini1000

Re: LATAM loses emotional support dog

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Christ. If you need a puppy to leave the house, you don’t belong in an airliner.

NYPECO

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Mini1000 wrote:
Christ. If you need a puppy to leave the house, you don’t belong in an airliner.

Do you know the particular passenger well enough to determine where they belong because of their emotional support animal?

Gonzalo

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Mini1000 wrote:

The fact of the dog being an emotional support companion or not, is completely irrelevant.
I had a dog for many many years and was a beloved member of our family, we use to fly with our dog in a special cage in the cargo hold, never had a problem, but I can tell you, the anxiety level of a flight without the dog in the cargo hold is very different, specially for the people who is not an aviation geek like us.
This is a BIG FAUX PAS from Latam, and I’m a big fun and frequent flyer with them, no intention to bash the airline of my home country...but this is a very serious mistake and should have consequences, the employees involved should be looking for a new job soon.

XLA2008

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Mini1000 wrote:

Well first off the dog was going in the hold and not in the cabin so the passenger could clearly fly without the animal next to them. Second off there is absolutely nothing wrong with people flying animals, by your comment should we suggest that we cull all death and blind people? Because they can’t leave the house without their animal!

One thing I will say... people with attitudes like yours do not belong onboard an aircraft, people with bad attitudes just like yours actually cause far more problems onboard an aircraft with their incessant ranting and obnoxious points of view than any passenger I have ever had onboard that has needed their service animal of any kind.

ScottishDavie

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:01 pm

I love my cat to bits and hate to leave her. Can I claim her as an "emotional support animal" and take her flying or do you have to be American to do that?

NYPECO

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 pm

ScottishDavie wrote:
I love my cat to bits and hate to leave her. Can I claim her as an "emotional support animal" and take her flying or do you have to be American to do that?

Animals don't have to be emotional support to take them on a plane.

NASBWI

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm a little confused here: emotional support animals are viewed as service animals (albeit without training). That said, why was a dog listed as "emotional support" being transported in the hold to begin with? Service animals are usually (if not always) transported in the cabin, with their owner/caretaker. Pets (listed as such: PETC), on the other hand, may be transported either in the cabin (in its carrier) or in the hold, all dependent on airline rules. Was this dog listed as an ESAN or PETC?

nine4nine

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 pm

People traveled just fine by air from the 40’s thru the 90’s. A glass of whisky on the rocks was about all someone needed to take the edge off until Xanax came along. If you are terrified of flying and need a pet to console you perhaps flying isn’t the option for you. There’s something called Amtrak and Greyhound.

Also has anyone of these people taken into account the stress the animals feel throughout the traveling process? Noise, movements, a lot of people in a condensed space, holding you piss and crap for hours all to soothe someone’s emotions? Give me a break. These animals should not be allowed for they’re own sake not the person who can’t handle life. Genuine service dogs for people who rely on them legitimately is a whole other valid story.

XLA2008

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:23 pm

nine4nine wrote:
People traveled just fine by air from the 40’s thru the 90’s. A glass of whisky on the rocks was about all someone needed to take the edge off until Xanax came along. If you are terrified of flying and need a pet to console you perhaps flying isn’t the option for you. There’s something called Amtrak and Greyhound.

Also has anyone of these people taken into account the stress the animals feel throughout the traveling process? Noise, movements, a lot of people in a condensed space, holding you piss and crap for hours all to soothe someone’s emotions? Give me a break. These animals should not be allowed for they’re own sake not the person who can’t handle life. Genuine service dogs for people who rely on them legitimately is a whole other valid story.

I think you will find pets of all sorts have been flying in the cabins from the 40’s to the 90’s. And just like you said as time has evolved and the introduction of Xanex came about so did the realization that for those people with a genuine need animals also provide the same support without the need of a controlled addictive substance, and for those that don’t abuse the system their animals are usually very well behaved and handle the situations with no issue at all. I can tell you now my dog wouldn’t give a s**t if he was on a plane! As for holding the bathroom my dog manages to do that at home without issue so no different on a plane, and being in a confined space with loads of people... my dog would have a field day he would love it, alas my dog isn’t an emotional support animal, however he has flown many times as I have moved around the world and doesn’t bother him at all.

LTU932

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Mini1000 wrote:
What about blind people, who rely on service dogs to guide them??? I know, this is about an emotional support animasl, but that statement of yours makes it suggest that if you rely on any animal to get through your day (even if it is because of a disability like blindness), you should stay away from airliners. You should be ashamed for even indirectly suggesting that.

lightsaber

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
Mini1000 wrote:

The fact of the dog being an emotional support companion or not, is completely irrelevant.
I had a dog for many many years and was a beloved member of our family, we use to fly with our dog in a special cage in the cargo hold, never had a problem, but I can tell you, the anxiety level of a flight without the dog in the cargo hold is very different, specially for the people who is not an aviation geek like us.
This is a BIG FAUX PAS from Latam, and I’m a big fun and frequent flyer with them, no intention to bash the airline of my home country...but this is a very serious mistake and should have consequences, the employees involved should be looking for a new job soon.

I base my vacations around our family dog. I pay the airline their $125 fee to fly it in a tiny bag in the cabin. She is a dear part of the family and will be part of the vacation.

But am I a bad person for :rotfl: at the drama this caused?

Lightsaber

MrBretz

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 am

Ah, but Lightsaber, there are those who use the emotional support pet as a way to escape the fees you pay. I have now 3 friends(now lowered to "people I know" not friends) who use the emotional support designation to avoid the $125 fee. At least these people have small dogs. I know you have seen the pictures of people who have emotional support ponies. I think in almost all cases people are abusing the system. And I too have flown with my dogs, as checked baggage, in the past. I finally paid to have one stay with caretakers instead of flying because I could see the stress I caused her.

XLA2008

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:13 am

lightsaber wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Mini1000 wrote:

I base my vacations around our family dog. I pay the airline their $125 fee to fly it in a tiny bag in the cabin. She is a dear part of the family and will be part of the vacation.

Lightsaber

At the end of the day... airlines allow animals in the cabin, people need to get over it, if they don’t like it then maybe they should be the ones not to fly. Good on you for taking your pup on vacation with you!

nine4nine

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:00 am

XLA2008 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:

Lightsaber

At the end of the day... airlines allow animals in the cabin, people need to get over it, if they don’t like it then maybe they should be the ones not to fly. Good on you for taking your pup on vacation with you!

You wacky animal people need to put the jar of peanut butter away and have some separation from your pet. I love my dog but he doesn’t have to travel with me. I have family to take care of him and if not I leave him at a wonderful dog hotel. I don’t need to base my vacation around my dog as someone above mentioned. Lightsaber I’ve been seeing your posts since early 2000’s and I really respect you but that comment tho.....

I had to endure the smell of sour dog crap on a JFK-LAX flight the entire duration cause the dog had diarrhea an hour and a half off of take off. Having to soak a t shirt in fragrant essential oil and wear it over my face for 4.5 hours cause some schmuck couldn’t cut the cord and had to bring his emotional puppy along pissed me off along with the entire plane as well. Sucks we all had to pay the price along with the high fare to and fees only to be having on dog shit.

Another girl I’m the terminal at JFK the same day had some emotional shitzu at the gate who would not stop barking. Luckily they weren’t on my flight.

Let’s not forget the service dog on the WN flight that bit the guys face in the next seat.

If you wanna bring your pets cargo hold is fine. But other than a genuine service dog any type of animal should be banned from the cabin.

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 am

Guys, this really isn't about the whole validity of the emotional support animal. As the thread starter, I put that in the title only because I've been told before to add additional information to make the thread title as accurate as possible. Otherwise, A-netters with nothing better to do will complain about the title being misleading, incomplete, etc.

What this thread is really about is Latam losing a dog that was supposed to go into the aircraft's hold, exactly where all of the "animals should not fly in the cabin" crowd thinks it should be. Not only that, an employee took the dog home with him or her and lost it there. This wasn't an animal that got out of its crate somehow at the airport. No, an employee took the dog home and lost it there, somehow. Now, a man is without his family member, and that's what pets are - family members.

So... What are Latam's policies on pets not loaded on the plane as they should be? Does anyone know? Or, does anyone know what is generally done in the industry in cases like these?

Thank you for all who are remaining on topic.

PS. There is a video here: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/E ... 00121.html

Interesting that Latam claims to be putting up lost dog posters where the dog was supposedly lost, but the news crew couldn't find any of them, nor the employees that Latam claims are out searching for the dog.

pdt2f

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 am

NASBWI wrote:
I'm a little confused here: emotional support animals are viewed as service animals (albeit without training). That said, why was a dog listed as "emotional support" being transported in the hold to begin with? Service animals are usually (if not always) transported in the cabin, with their owner/caretaker. Pets (listed as such: PETC), on the other hand, may be transported either in the cabin (in its carrier) or in the hold, all dependent on airline rules. Was this dog listed as an ESAN or PETC?

They’re not legal service animals, anyone can call their animal an emotional support animal. Service animals are for people who actually need them - the blind, deaf, those with seizure disorders, etc. Emotional support animals are for cowards who can’t face the world without their fuzzy wuzzy fur baby with them.

AirlineCritic

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:02 am

Folks, please refrain from your complaints of emotional support animals. It has NO bearing on this case. Somebody gave LATAM an animal to transport as cargo, and they lost it. That is terrible.

If it makes easier for you to imagine, consider yourself flying LATAM and them loosing luggage with something value for yourself. Although a living thing is more valuable than just possessions, but hopefully you'll gain some perspective.

And LAX77LR: Please don't take pleasure from harm and unhappiness to a fellow human being who did not harm you in anyway.

NASBWI

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:56 pm

pdt2f wrote:
They’re not legal service animals, anyone can call their animal an emotional support animal. Service animals are for people who actually need them - the blind, deaf, those with seizure disorders, etc. Emotional support animals are for cowards who can’t face the world without their fuzzy wuzzy fur baby with them.

I was speaking with regard to how they’re viewed by airlines in general, opinions about their validity notwithstanding. They’re not “true” service animals, but with proper documentation, are allowed in the cabin. This is what sparked my confusion. If an emotional support animal is allowed in the cabin, why was it in the hold?

pdt2f

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Edit: no point continuing argument.
Last edited by pdt2f on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightsaber

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 pm

nine4nine wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

You wacky animal people need to put the jar of peanut butter away and have some separation from your pet. I love my dog but he doesn’t have to travel with me. I have family to take care of him and if not I leave him at a wonderful dog hotel. I don’t need to base my vacation around my dog as someone above mentioned. Lightsaber I’ve been seeing your posts since early 2000’s and I really respect you but that comment tho.....

I had to endure the smell of sour dog crap on a JFK-LAX flight the entire duration cause the dog had diarrhea an hour and a half off of take off. Having to soak a t shirt in fragrant essential oil and wear it over my face for 4.5 hours cause some schmuck couldn’t cut the cord and had to bring his emotional puppy along pissed me off along with the entire plane as well. Sucks we all had to pay the price along with the high fare to and fees only to be having on dog shit.

Another girl I’m the terminal at JFK the same day had some emotional shitzu at the gate who would not stop barking. Luckily they weren’t on my flight.

Let’s not forget the service dog on the WN flight that bit the guys face in the next seat.

If you wanna bring your pets cargo hold is fine. But other than a genuine service dog any type of animal should be banned from the cabin.

If the airlines won't fly my dog, I won't fly that airline. Customers tell businesses their preference, not the other way around. I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Dogs have issues when their food is changed.

You probably noticed several people celebrating I travel with my dog (or that I refuse to do the emotional support lie and the airline makes a profit off me. There is a difference of opinion.
On the last two flights I flew with my dog, passengers were surprised when I stood up at the end and picked up a shaking bag (dog woke up) as they didn't realize I had a live animal with me.

So you are welcome to your opinion. There are airlines who cater to your preference and do not allow dogs. Please fly those.

As much as I'm an aviation enthusiast, I'm more of a dog enthusiast. No dog, no flight for the vacation. I like airlines make a profit off my dog as they will want to fly it. :spin:
As Lindbergh says, "Takeoffs are optional, landings are required." I've chosen not to fly for vacations when fares were too steep; I have changed location to accommodate the dog.

Oh, I travel with extended family (we've had as many as 30 on one flight, but that was unusual as we usually cannot time to fly in or out together). So no one to watch the dog at home. It happens the 3 families that travel with dogs pick the locations... :scratchchin: We will happily vote with out money.

Lightsaber

XLA2008

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:36 am

lightsaber wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

If the airlines won't fly my dog, I won't fly that airline. Customers tell businesses their preference, not the other way around. I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Dogs have issues when their food is changed.

You probably noticed several people celebrating I travel with my dog (or that I refuse to do the emotional support lie and the airline makes a profit off me. There is a difference of opinion.
On the last two flights I flew with my dog, passengers were surprised when I stood up at the end and picked up a shaking bag (dog woke up) as they didn't realize I had a live animal with me.

So you are welcome to your opinion. There are airlines who cater to your preference and do not allow dogs. Please fly those.

As much as I'm an aviation enthusiast, I'm more of a dog enthusiast. No dog, no flight for the vacation. I like airlines make a profit off my dog as they will want to fly it. :spin:
As Lindbergh says, "Takeoffs are optional, landings are required." I've chosen not to fly for vacations when fares were too steep; I have changed location to accommodate the dog.

Oh, I travel with extended family (we've had as many as 30 on one flight, but that was unusual as we usually cannot time to fly in or out together). So no one to watch the dog at home. It happens the 3 families that travel with dogs pick the locations... :scratchchin: We will happily vote with out money.

Lightsaber

I dislike flying with a screaming baby onboard the aircraft... but such is life, I get over it and get on with my flight as should those that dislike flying with animals in the cabin, if you really dislike it then either take the greyhound or find another airline. I don’t personally fly with my dogs least not on vacation I pay someone to come stay at the house and take care of them, my dogs have certainly flown, I fly for a living so have moved around the world and as such when I’ve moved so have my 3 Great Danes they don’t fly in the cabin they fly as cargo, generally they only fly wide bodies as they are so large the crates that have been specially made do not fit in the hold of a narrow body so it can be tricky moving them, but alas they have moved and had their far share of flights. I can honestly say if any airline lost my dog while they were being flown, there would be absolute hell to pay and a huge lawsuit! It’s not acceptable for an employee to take any of my dogs home with them due to operational issues preventing them from being loaded. If that be the case the passenger should be informed they can’t be loaded and the passenger can decide the arrangements for travel. I do have to say it is a slight overlook on the passengers part from what I can see that they didn’t check they were loaded. Whenever I board, before the doors are closed I always make sure my dogs are loaded onboard and the flight crew have them on the manifest, usually airlines are very good, whenever they fly, for example their last TATL flight from LHR-DFW, AA kept me up to date to how they were, if they had eaten or had something to drink, if they had been to the toilet, and a ground agent came onboard before departure to let me know they were onboard and were ok. Different airlines have different policies, I know from flying myself for many years, but loosing a pet in that manner, not acceptable at all.

Emotional support animals are far more an issue with the USA, the government allows them to be registered as a service animal and the airlines allow them in the cabin as per regulation and policy, many airlines won’t fly emotional support animals in the cabin due to the lack of training for the dog, so it’s possible that the dog in question was an emotional support animal traveling with the passenger for their “needs” while away from home however LATAM may not allow the animal to travel onboard the aircraft and the passenger simply adhered to the rules. As for the big deal about animals in the cabin, if you have such a distaste stop being a whining child and petition to get regulations changed, if you are not prepared to go as far as to do that... then grow up and stop your moaning because if you can’t be bothered to try and change things then you have NO right to complain about it. And also stop going for people that travel with their animals, the law allows them to do that, they are doing what they are legally allowed to do, at the end of the day they are following the rules, rules they didn’t make up, yes it might be abused by many, but that is the governments fault for allowing it. Nearly all systems are abused by many many people it’s down to the company or regulator to do something about it. Or the people that have a distaste to raise the issue and try and change it, like I said if you can’t be bothered to try and change it then stop your damn moaning, it’s moronic!
Last edited by XLA2008 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

klkla

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:04 am

I am a huge dog fan. My most recent dog lived 17 years and when she passed it was truly like losing one of the family. But I would have never put her in the stressful situation of airplane flight. I can't imagine the fear she would have encountered in the cargo hold of an airplane. There are great kennels, dog hotels and trusted fiends/relatives that can accommodate them while you are traveling.

But, I don't have a problem with people that pay to bring their pets along with them or people that truly need them. I think the 'emotional support' reason is total BS and that is what drives me crazy.

XLA2008

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:08 am

klkla wrote:
I am a huge dog fan. My most recent dog lived 17 years and when she passed it was truly like losing one of the family. But I would have never put her in the stressful situation of airplane flight. I can't imagine the fear she would have encountered in the cargo hold of an airplane. There are great kennels, dog hotels and trusted fiends/relatives that can accommodate them while you are traveling.

But, I don't have a problem with people that pay to bring their pets along with them or people that truly need them. I think the 'emotional support' reason is total BS and that is what drives me crazy.

I don’t agree with the emotional support BS either, I think it’s rather idiotic, but at the end of the day I don’t make the rules and neither do those that use emotional support to travel. My dogs have flown as cargo, but only ever when I’ve moved to different countries, I pay someone to take stay at my home.

DDR

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 am

klkla wrote:

Agree with you 100%. How can you put something you “love” in the cargo hold? It’s cruel to the poor animal.

XLA2008

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:19 am

DDR wrote:
klkla wrote:

Agree with you 100%. How can you put something you “love” in the cargo hold? It’s cruel to the poor animal.

And you propose transporting a dog 3000+ miles across the Atlantic how? Perhaps instead of a 10 hour flight “ordeal” maybe a 7 day ship “ordeal”?? It’s far more cruel putting them in a shelter than putting them on a 10 hour flight when you move. If your doing it for your own benefit and it’s just for vacation then sure it’s a selfish need that’s putting them in that situation. However at the end of the day it’s down to the owner to judge how their animal will handle the situation, you do realize not all dogs are nervous shaking wrecks when it comes to things like flying. So we have different views on what is cruel I’m afraid! Haha because I wouldn’t have kicked my dogs out of their home away from the people they know just so I didn’t have to “put” them through flying a 10 hour flight when I moved back to the states or a 12 hour flight when I moved to Hong Kong and so on, which one is more cruel to the animal there? Dogs recover from flying a short flight, they don’t recover from being re-homed very easily if ever at all. My dogs survived their 10 hour flight, woke up, stretched their legs, took a pee and are happy and content sleeping in their beds in our home lol. Not sure how they would be coping right now if they had all been split up and re-homed just because I didn’t want to put them on a flight in the past when I have moved.

So in answer to your question I can put them in the cargo hold pretty easily, because I love my dogs and I wouldn’t leave them behind when I move, and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to be left behind either.

TW870

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:14 am

Okay dog drama aside, there is so little reliable info in any of these articles or posts. What flight was the dog supposed to be on? What is a "ramp issue" that would require not loading a pet carrier? I can think of many, from freight maxing out on volume all the way to ramp wanting to get an on-time and not having time to load the dog. Knowing something about aircraft type, the length of the flight, etc., would be helpful in understanding if/why they were having ramp/freight loading issues. Nothing that is being reported is addressing this from on operational perspective, and instead everyone is fighting over support dogs, which this dog was not. The dog was in a pet carrier on JFK-XXX-ASU.

lebda

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:39 am

Good lord, some of you guys are assholes. And over something that might be completely overstated. The only two sources reporting on this are Daily Mail and Fox, both of which are infamous for exaggerating their stories. We don't have all of the details here.

Etheereal

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:55 am

lebda wrote:
Good lord, some of you guys are assholes. And over something that might be completely overstated. The only two sources reporting on this are Daily Mail and Fox, both of which are infamous for exaggerating their stories. We don't have all of the details here.

Is that, dare i say, an argument?

Cargo gets lost on a daily base. Its just life, file a complain and move on.

axiom

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am

This thread should be locked, since there is very little discussion about the topic -- and a whole lot of really immature bile. Sometimes, I feel like half the posters on a.net are twelve year old boys.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am

The poor owner. :(

As for an emotional support animal being put in the cargo hold and not the cabin. Not everyone needs to be with their animal 24/7. This person may be totally capable of a set few hours without having their animal there, but still need the animal over a longer term to be a productive member of society. Just because we have all the stories of people abusing the system does not mean there are no valid reasons for such things. Or are all male Americans mass shooters because we see so many news stories about that? Of course not, so apply some perspective.

Shame on LATAM for cocking this up. Even if the ramp workers are a sub contractor the responsibility lays with LATAM to have got it right, emotional support animal or just regular pet.

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Actually, that' s wrong. Its being reported by multiple news outlets, both primary news outlets and aggregators. I posted a link to a local TV news vid on it. Just google "LATAM loses dog," or similar, and you'll get hit after hit from different news sources.

I'll go back to one of my original questions and try to remain on point... What is LATAM's policy on things like this? Do we know why the dog wasn't loaded? Has the employee who took the dog home been questioned by anyone?

Thank you.

Redwood839

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

Actually, that' s wrong. Its being reported by multiple news outlets, both primary news outlets and aggregators. I posted a link to a local TV news vid on it. Just google "LATAM loses dog," or similar, and you'll get hit after hit from different news sources.

I'll go back to one of my original questions and try to remain on point... What is LATAM's policy on things like this? Do we know why the dog wasn't loaded? Has the employee who took the dog home been questioned by anyone?

Thank you.

You're not going to find the answers to that here. We're not the Port Authority, CBP, USDA or whoever is involved. Neither do I see anyone clamining to be a LATAM employee yet.

As far as the dog not making it for A-B-C-, it can happen. The hold might have been too warm/cold, not enough room due to an error somewhere, pilot decided not to bring it on board for XYZ, USDA stopped it, someone forgot about it, etc.

I only travel with my dog when necessary because I know she gets really scared with other people being around her and me not being present. Personally, when I get on board I insist in a nice manner to speak to the crew directly to let them know my dog is in the hold and if they can just verify if it has been loaded. If not, I stay outside the gate looking out the window until she is. Most crew are friendly about it and will call the ramp to check.

As why the ramp member took it home? Well, it's wrong in the first place BUT, Maybe LATAM doesn't have the facilities to accommodate dogs in JFK (note: I don't know if there is a sterile area for them in JFK as I only travel through EWR. ), I kinda see a supervisor saying that they feel for the poor dog being left in it's kennel, and someone saying "hey, I can take him home and feed him and bring him back tomorrow for the flight". The thing is, it would've have to clear USDA/CBP again to get out of the airport, or they hid him out.

I had my dog rejected at an airport due to the airline losing the paperwork enroute (was on top of kennel), and they paid me to go back home and get the paperwork done again, in the meantime a supervisor at the cargo area created a small kennel with chicken wire where they kept my dog outside of her kennel and gave her food and water, they even brought toys for her.

I can see where good intentions went quickly south by an employee.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos