Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiowa
Topic Author

Southwest grounding many airplanes.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 pm

It appears that Southwest is grounding quite a few airplanes in response to finding weight and balance problems while they are under the department of transportation investigation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... yptr=yahoo

hiflyeras

Re: Southwest grounding many airplanes.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Sloppy….what else will be coming out? They didn't inspect their fan blades until forced to by the FAA.

BC77008

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:03 pm

They grounded 66 airplanes, but yet only canceled 30 flights? How is that possible?

adamblang

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:10 pm

BC77008 wrote:
They grounded 66 airplanes, but yet only canceled 30 flights? How is that possible?

Peak summer is over. There's slack in the fleet now.

mcdu

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 pm

And this is a surprise to no one. WN has skirted rules and had cozy realtionship with the FAA people that were supposed to safeguarding the public. It was only a matter of time. Perhaps peeling the onion will reveal a lot more. Maybe the inspectors doing the deep dive don’t like pizza? (An industry inside joke)

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:18 pm

mcdu wrote:
And this is a surprise to no one. WN has skirted rules and had cozy realtionship with the FAA people that were supposed to safeguarding the public. It was only a matter of time. Perhaps peeling the onion will reveal a lot more. Maybe the inspectors doing the deep dive don’t like pizza? (An industry inside joke)

No other carrier has ever had a discrepancy with aircraft weights that was so minor it was corrected within hours? We know you hate WN, but come on.

YellowJ

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:19 pm

adamblang wrote:
BC77008 wrote:

Peak summer usually tends to run through labor day.

Most likely they consolidated frequencies, and up-gauged some flights to the 800.

mcdu

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
mcdu wrote:

No other carrier has ever had a discrepancy with aircraft weights that was so minor it was corrected within hours? We know you hate WN, but come on.

Has there been another airline that had to ground 60 planes for a weight and balance discrepancy?

Always wondered how they knew they were in CG with open seating? Maybe the FAA is finally asking the question.

MO11

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:32 pm

mcdu wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Has there been another airline that had to ground 60 planes for a weight and balance discrepancy?

Always wondered how they knew they were in CG with open seating? Maybe the FAA is finally asking the question.

You've got to be kidding. What did any airline do before assigned seating was automated in the late '70s?

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 pm

MO11 wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

You've got to be kidding. What did any airline do before assigned seating was automated in the late '70s?

All sorts of airlines, even those with assigned seating, hand count passengers in various rows; several regionals (including some who operate for MCDU's beloved UA) stocked or stock preprinted pads of paper for this purpose.

mm320cap

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm

adamblang wrote:
BC77008 wrote:

Not even close. Peak summer is..... peaking

runway23

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:40 pm

mcdu wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
mcdu wrote:

You just block off certain rows when flights are too empty. Not really any different whether allocated or not.

7673mech

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Did any of you read the article?
It apparently happened last week and the planes were cleared to fly after an overnight investigation.
Though I do agree they are a mess. I am interested to see what happens with their ETOPs program.
Last edited by 7673mech on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chemist

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 pm

I assume CG with non-assigned seats isn't a problem if the planes are nearly full. In that case there's not a lot of flexibility on weight distribution.

Junction

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:59 pm

7673mech wrote:
It apparently happened last week and the planes were cleared to fly after an overnight investigation.

Are you kidding? Very few people on here completely read the attached articles before posting opinions.

hiflyeras

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:59 pm

mcdu wrote:
Maybe the inspectors doing the deep dive don’t like pizza? (An industry inside joke)

Good one! For those not in the know, WN has in the past generously sent pizza to ATC and tower personnel.

flyguy84

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:01 pm

The entire Southwest operation has been a complete circus for the longest time...they can't get flights out on-time, many cancellations... They have become very unreliable. This is just another notch in their belt...

barney captain

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:04 pm

7673mech wrote:
Though I do agree they are a mess. I am interested to see what happens with their ETOPs program.

My thoughts exactly.

dragon6172

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:21 pm

mcdu wrote:

Being allowed to "skirt" rules due to a "cozy" FAA relationship sounds more like a FAA problem rather than a WN one.

twincommander

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
The airline in the US we should be concerned about safety wise is not WN, it's not NK, and it isn't even G4, it's F9, AKA Dartboard Airlines. The sooner they cease operations and their executives jailed, the better for the traveling public and wherever poor place on the ground they crash into.

Did they hurt you? Can you tell us where Stretch the Great Blue Heron touched you?

Seriously though... Where's your proof?

luv2cattlecall

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Maybe the inspectors doing the deep dive don’t like pizza? (An industry inside joke)

Good one! For those not in the know, WN has in the past generously sent pizza to ATC and tower personnel.

Were they getting anything in return? Or just being nice/trying to be friendly? I used to work for WN and there was quite a bit of doing nice things just because - no ROI, no quid pro quo, just taking care of suppliers and vendors and such because, at the end of the day, they are humans, and you work with some of them so much that they might as well be coworkers.

joeblow10

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:42 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
The entire Southwest operation has been a complete circus for the longest time...they can't get flights out on-time, many cancellations... They have become very unreliable. This is just another notch in their belt...

^^THIS exactly. And yet somehow the cult following of “I need my 2 bags” folks keeps flying them because they only do it 1-3x a year, so I guess they don’t really care.

Until they improve the circus, the number of business folks who fly them will still remain low.

bob75013

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 pm

mm320cap wrote:
adamblang wrote:
BC77008 wrote:

Not really. If you look at the history of WN's system wide fare sales (only two real sales a year), those sales typically start with dates beginning in the last half of August. Why would that be if summer travel is peaking.

WN has done this for over a decade, and did so this year, too.

swacle

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:51 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

^^THIS exactly. And yet somehow the cult following of “I need my 2 bags” folks keeps flying them because they only do it 1-3x a year, so I guess they don’t really care.

Until they improve the circus, the number of business folks who fly them will still remain low.

Just wondering, when was the last time you flew WN? Based on your "business travel is low" statement I would assume more than 10 years ago....

gensys

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
mcdu wrote:

No good deed goes unpunished.

joeblow10

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:06 pm

swacle wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Just wondering, when was the last time you flew WN? Based on your "business travel is low" statement I would assume more than 10 years ago....

I flew them on least 6-7 trips last year. In 2018? 1... and only because F9 cancelled my flight and I needed to get to SLC ASAP.

I am usually always flying in the evenings, and WN has so many delays that get worse throughout the day you can almost bet on evening flights being delayed. The last straw was when I had a 9pm flight that left after 1am because of mechanical issues IN DENVER, found it extremely hard to believe they couldn’t find a replacement aircraft.

By the way, WN has said they represent less than 5% of the corporate travel market... no way that number is climbing much higher in the short run. But, so much of domestic airline revenue is from leisure, so there isn’t a need for them to change...
Last edited by joeblow10 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sccutler

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:06 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Sloppy….what else will be coming out? They didn't inspect their fan blades until forced to by the FAA.

Utterly bullshit.

lavalampluva

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

We haven't hit Labor Day yet. Summer is still peaking.

GoSteelers

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I’d like to see actual numbers, but being where I live every school district started school two weeks ago, I don’t see how travel hasn’t decreased from a month ago.

Chemist

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think so.
When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, I never was in public school before mid Sept. Somehow since then, although summer doesn't end until 9/21, the start date of schools in the US has crept earlier, now to mid-late August. So lots of families are no longer traveling even though it (celestially) is still mid-summer.

I have no idea why this bizarre change has occurred.
Last edited by Chemist on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtnwest1979

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Well WN's peak summer schedule ended August 6th, so for them , that must have been the end of "peak season".

GoSteelers

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Chemist wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think so.
When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, I never was in public school before mid Sept. Somehow since then, although summer doesn't end until 9/21, the start date of schools in the US has crept earlier, now to mid-late August. So lots of families are no longer traveling even though it (celestially) mid-summer.

Exactly my point. Thanks.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:28 pm

bob75013 wrote:
mm320cap wrote:
adamblang wrote:

Not really. If you look at the history of WN's system wide fare sales (only two real sales a year), those sales typically start with dates beginning in the last half of August. Why would that be if summer travel is peaking.

Seat sales or not, in most of North America, the absolute peak for demand is July and August through to Labour Day. Need proof? Check out monthly pax stats for most North American airports (Florida and the likes of PSP aside) and see what are the busiest months of the year.

GoSteelers

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 pm

At the airport I work at, a pretty busy one at that, we, in coordination with the major airline operators here, started our construction last Monday, also an indicator that the summer schedules are starting to slow down.

Chemist

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
mm320cap wrote:

Seat sales or not, in most of North America, the absolute peak for demand is July and August through to Labour Day. Need proof? Check out monthly pax stats for most North American airports (Florida and the likes of PSP aside) and see what are the busiest months of the year.

I suspect that if we could see sales granularly week to week through those months, we'd see dropoff starting mid-August.

SonaSounds

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Chemist wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think so.
When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, I never was in public school before mid Sept. Somehow since then, although summer doesn't end until 9/21, the start date of schools in the US has crept earlier, now to mid-late August. So lots of families are no longer traveling even though it (celestially) is still mid-summer.

Number of scheduled passenger flights (both ways) for the entire month:

July
ATL - 77,407
HOU - 11,068
JFK - 40,374
LAX - 58,238
MIA - 27,842
MCO - 27,980
OAK - 10,673
SFO - 39,302

August
ATL - 77,726
HOU - 10,625
JFK - 40,631
LAX - 57,985
MIA - 26,979
MCO - 26,130
OAK - 10,703
SFO - 40,155

WN system wide scheduled flights (both ways):
June - 119,494
July - 123,794
August - 118,492
September - 109,520

Total United States scheduled domestic flights (both ways):
June - 732,478
July - 756,781
August - 756,385
September - 686,367

*All numbers for 2018

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

Most carriers’ have the peak summer schedule through mid August only, with substantial schedule drawdowns and reductions occurring in steps from mid August to early September.

Peak summer schedules are either over, or are ending this week.

afcjets

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 pm

I didn’t realize WN or any major US airline reduced their schedule during slow months.

SonaSounds

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 pm

afcjets wrote:
I didn’t realize WN or any major US airline reduced their schedule during slow months.

For all flights originating and/or arriving in the United States, the high and low months of 2018:

February - 731,248 scheduled passenger operations
July - 911,533 scheduled passenger operations

A difference of 24.7% from high to low season

admanager

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Chemist wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think so.

With the advent of the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT" in 2002, standardized testing has been put in place in public schools across the country. So schools are looking to maximize the number of instructional days before the testing. Voila..early to mid-August school starts.

airzona11

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

But this was an event that happened in the past, and we are learning about it now. To comment as fact that business flyers do not fly WN is a joke. Have you read their financial performance? Have you flown on a WN flight? It wasn't even accurate hyperbole 10 years ago, let alone today.

Read the article, this happened a week ago, no one noticed, on a site like this where people split hairs to flame airlines they don't like. I would describe that as a well run operation.

mcg

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Chemist wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

I don't think so.

It's because schools, staff, teachers and administrators are evaluated based on standardised test scores and one strategy to raise test scores is to maximize the number of instruction days before the tests are given.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Most carriers’ have the peak summer schedule through mid August only, with substantial schedule drawdowns and reductions occurring in steps from mid August to early September.

Peak summer schedules are either over, or are ending this week.

One caveat to my above post is I'm looking at it from a Canadian lens, where outside of Quebec, most students go back to school after Labour Day. Either way, August is still a peak month for most places, both Canada and the US.

joeblow10

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:33 pm

airzona11 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

But this was an event that happened in the past, and we are learning about it now. To comment as fact that business flyers do not fly WN is a joke. Have you read their financial performance? Have you flown on a WN flight? It wasn't even accurate hyperbole 10 years ago, let alone today.

Read the article, this happened a week ago, no one noticed, on a site like this where people split hairs to flame airlines they don't like. I would describe that as a well run operation.

WN has openly stated that ~35% of its pax are business folks. Is that number horrible? No, absolutely not. But it is well below their competitors...and there's a simple reason.

WN has an on-time problem. Sorry, that's an obvious one. The problem starts with scheduling far less time on the ground than their peers - and F9 is finding out the same thing. WN has at least gotten somewhat good at turning their planes around in 30-45 minutes (F9 has not at all) but the problem is when you schedule so little time, problems pile up.

Have you looked at WN block times in comparison to others on the same routes? It's insanity on some routes: BNA-MDW is blocked at 90 minutes gate to gate, when most every flight on FlightAware shows the gate to gate time is rarely under 90 minutes. Sure there are a few instances it's down at 80 or at like 87, but there isn't any slack at all. So what does that mean? Again, the problems begin to compound throughout the day. Add that in with the unrealistic turnaround times scheduled and voila! - on time performance drops. It also means when I'm making a connection on WN I'm usually sprinting to the next gate not only because of their boarding process, but because of the inevitable delays I usually come across.

Management has made it clear they have no choice. With the amount of flights they add, adding just a few minutes to block time and turnaround time would require dozens more aircraft, something WN can't do at the moment. They're in between a rock and a hard place and the problem won't be solving itself any time soon.

I stopped flying WN for the very reason I found their operation to be a giant circus, just as the other poster said. You're free to disagree - but yes, I've flown WN quite a bit, and refuse to do it later in the day, precisely because their on-time performance is a spectacle in itself.

But as I said in the follow up post, it doesn't matter. Like you said, they make their money through their niche and have a great % of leisure travel. But does that mean I don't think their operation is a circus? Not at all
Last edited by joeblow10 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScottB

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Peak demand doesn't go all the way through Labor Day anymore because many school districts, particularly down South, start classes in mid-August. Dallas starts this year on Monday, August 20. Los Angeles started yesterday. Plus families aren't going to travel right up until the day before classes start given the need to shop for back-to-school items. WN has a larger portion of their network in markets where school starts earlier, so it does make sense that they'd already have reduced from peak flying by mid-August.

BobbyPSP

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:34 pm

twincommander wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
The airline in the US we should be concerned about safety wise is not WN, it's not NK, and it isn't even G4, it's F9, AKA Dartboard Airlines. The sooner they cease operations and their executives jailed, the better for the traveling public and wherever poor place on the ground they crash into.

Did they hurt you? Can you tell us where Stretch the Great Blue Heron touched you?

Seriously though... Where's your proof?

Don’t bother. All he does is stir the pot and adds nothing.

formeraa

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Has it occurred to anyone here that it depends on WHERE you live in the US. In the South, schools tend to start earlier (some kids in Arizona went back in late July). In the Northern tier (Northwest, Midwest, and Northeast), schools tend to start closer to Labor Day. It all depends on where you live. Over the years, school calendars in the North have been adjusted to finish the first semester before the Christmas holidays (so that the kids can actually rest and relax).

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
WN has openly stated that ~35% of its pax are business folks. Is that number horrible? No, absolutely not. But it is well below their competitors...and there's a simple reason.

WN has an on-time problem. Sorry, that's an obvious one. The problem starts with scheduling far less time on the ground than their peers - and F9 is finding out the same thing. WN has at least gotten somewhat good at turning their planes around in 30-45 minutes (F9 has not at all) but the problem is when you schedule so little time, problems pile up.

Is WN markedly worse than the legacies when regional operations are included? That does not seem to be the case generally.

And, WN often has nonstops where other carriers do not. If I take a nonstop that is 70 percent likely to be on time, I have a 70 percent chance of arriving on time. If I take a connecting flight on which both halves of the itinerary are 80 percent likely to be on time and the outcomes are independent of each other (a bit of a questionable assumption, I realize), I only have a 64 percent chance of arriving on time.

mham001

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Most schools in SFO Bay Area started by Aug 20. My available travel time ended the first week of August. They have shortened the summer holiday to try to keep the child's brain engaged and repeat learning time down. Instructional time is measured down to the minute, they still attend the same amount of minutes but get extra time off over the school season, such as a half day every Thursday.

joeblow10

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Is WN markedly worse than the legacies when regional operations are included? That does not seem to be the case generally.

And, WN often has nonstops where other carriers do not. If I take a nonstop that is 70 percent likely to be on time, I have a 70 percent chance of arriving on time. If I take a connecting flight on which both halves of the itinerary are 80 percent likely to be on time and the outcomes are independent of each other (a bit of a questionable assumption, I realize), I only have a 64 percent chance of arriving on time.

A couple of the regionals really do have awful on-time numbers I'll totally admit, but when you look at mainline in months where the weather is generally not an easy excuse (September, October, etc.) the three ones I usually see towards the bottom are WN, F9, and B6 in that order. During the summer and heavy snow season, UA is definitely up there, but I attribute them more to weather than anything. VX had the same issue with weather in SFO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos