TC957

Re: First Lufthansa A380 in New Livery Rolled Out

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 am

Cheap and easy to maintain it no doubt is, but easy on the eye that says quality airline is certainly isn't. Looks half-finished !

euroflyer

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 am

Airplane livery painting is quoted according to its level of complexity, which includes number of colors, type of painting and finish (mica, varnish, pearly...), handmade items, location of logos etc... While I find LH livery boring, I can understand that these new adjustments can save costs by several millions € on a fleet.

I might not be surprised that this change was not lead by LH communication or marketing but by Procurement department.
Born to fly !

parapente

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:01 am

If that's it,then it's. Shockingly ordinary.Cheap mind you.

itisi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:14 am

Brilliant, love the new scheme. Very clean and professional.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

Bricktop

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:16 am

euroflyer wrote:
I might not be surprised that this change was not lead by LH communication or marketing but by Procurement department.

This is just about the most damning comment one can make. Sad, LH. Sad.

DABYT

Re: Revised Lufthansa livery fleet thread

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am

First A380 in her new coat:

NickWebb

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:31 am

N415XJ wrote:
How could someone, as the lead project member at a design firm, look at this abomination of a livery that their team came up with and not feel anything but pure embarrassment? Some half-asleep airline execs being talked into adopting it by some marketing smooth talker is one thing, but how can anyone who has training in art and design not see this as anything but supremely lazy and uninspired?

I tracked down the website of the designer, Martin et Karczinski, and wasn't surprised. Go to their main website and you're greeted by a color palette of grey and black, and an image of what looks like an unfinished concrete building partially furnished with a painfully unoriginal modern office. Their facebook page conforms- these Martin and Karczinski dudes are clearly too cool for color. For a design company, it isn't even laughable- it's simply pathetic. LH obviously scraped the bottom of the barrel to find some bargain basement design firm, and they got exactly what they paid for.

What a lot of tosh. You don't understand design, economics or the current airline business. You have to understand compromise is key in today's world and simplicity is everything. Simple to apply, simple to maintain, simple to understand.
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

ojjunior

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 am

Mom, turn of the lights, i'm sleeping...

Horrible shapes plane, boring livery.

Oh the good old days when LH had a strong presence livery...

NickWebb

Re: First A340-600 In Revised Lufthansa Livery

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am

LHUSA wrote:
Dreadfully uninspired. LH is better than this.

Simplicity can be interpreted as smart, professional, sleek, but the line between those and boring is extremely fine. LH truly missed the mark on this revision IMHO.

#snoozefest

Do you spend that much time looking at an airliner livery that you get bored?? - There's no such thing as boredom, only boring people!

aerokiwi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm

NickWebb wrote:
N415XJ wrote:
How could someone, as the lead project member at a design firm, look at this abomination of a livery that their team came up with and not feel anything but pure embarrassment? Some half-asleep airline execs being talked into adopting it by some marketing smooth talker is one thing, but how can anyone who has training in art and design not see this as anything but supremely lazy and uninspired?

I tracked down the website of the designer, Martin et Karczinski, and wasn't surprised. Go to their main website and you're greeted by a color palette of grey and black, and an image of what looks like an unfinished concrete building partially furnished with a painfully unoriginal modern office. Their facebook page conforms- these Martin and Karczinski dudes are clearly too cool for color. For a design company, it isn't even laughable- it's simply pathetic. LH obviously scraped the bottom of the barrel to find some bargain basement design firm, and they got exactly what they paid for.

What a lot of tosh. You don't understand design, economics or the current airline business. You have to understand compromise is key in today's world and simplicity is everything. Simple to apply, simple to maintain, simple to understand.

Ah yes, the "Shutup simpleton, you're too dim t understand out collective genius" argument.

Design-by-committee to satisfy current trends usually results in the bland, the mediocre, the utterly forgettable. But by all means, hang your hat on that pony.

viennafly

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Hey Folks,

A good Website to keep track on those paintings of the Lufthansa fleet is:

https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/lufthansa

These people seem to get good information. Btw there are some more shorthaul planes scheduled to got to paint, another first will be an A319 in the new livery....should emerge from paint shortly before the 31st of Dec..

Cheers

Jawaiiansky66

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm

At first i thought it was boring, but its really growing on me. Its simple and elegant and refined. Less can be more, sometimes. And the idea of using the yellow as an accent colour for the passenger experience is actually a refreshing idea. Remember that all white and yellow experimental livery on a 737 years ago?

Lilienthal

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:54 pm

N415XJ wrote:

Did you know that in the design industry, this change was actually well received? Judging by your text, you don't seem to know much about design and visual corporate identity. Keep in mind that a plethora of requirements go into these decisions that go beyond "i like the color yellow and i don't like eurowhite". Also, the design changes don't just affect aircraft, but check-in counters, menus, tickets, websites, uniforms and pens. Clarity, longevity, inter-commonality, elegance, simplicity, uniqueness, integrity... all these attributes were achieved nicely with this redesign.

When people think about Lufthansa 10 years from now, they will think of these beautiful, dominant, giant dark-blue tails with the white crane on them. And no one except a couple of grumpy enthusiasts will miss the old one.

Armodeen

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Did you know that in the design industry, this change was actually well received? Judging by your text, you don't seem to know much about design and visual corporate identity. Keep in mind that a plethora of requirements go into these decisions that go beyond "i like the color yellow and i don't like eurowhite". Also, the design changes don't just affect aircraft, but check-in counters, menus, tickets, websites, uniforms and pens. Clarity, longevity, inter-commonality, elegance, simplicity, uniqueness, integrity... all these attributes were achieved nicely with this redesign.

When people think about Lufthansa 10 years from now, they will think of these beautiful, dominant, giant dark-blue tails with the white crane on them. And no one except a couple of grumpy enthusiasts will miss the old one.

Well at least the design community likes them, that's one group of people!

Seriously very few people like this livery.

glideslope

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

No yellow on the vertical stab, not LH IMO. Uninspiring, "Casper Milk Toast" livery.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

fraT

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Based on what are you saying this?
The many threads on this website? Any polls?
At least in Germany I haven't noticed any big discussion since most people do not care at all about the painting of aircraft.

kimia

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

I wish the engines had some color!

NickWebb

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

I think you mean few Airliner.netters don't like it, I think you'll find that the public like it!

Polot

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm

I remain convinced based on posts on A.net and elsewhere that there is/was an active campaign within LH to get some LH employees, or people/agencies contracted by LH, to consistently post overtly positive opinions about LH’s new livery on the internet and social media.

I understand some people may like it, but some of the opinions I have read, especially when it first came out, have been border line over the top.
Last edited by Polot on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickWebb

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:47 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Ah yes, the "Shutup simpleton, you're too dim t understand out collective genius" argument.

Design-by-committee to satisfy current trends usually results in the bland, the mediocre, the utterly forgettable. But by all means, hang your hat on that pony.

So you would have a designer just design a livery because he/she likes it even if it's not either on trend or the airline itself wants it? or that it could be hideously expensive to apply? and of course without considering the application of that design to the 99% of other applications - signage, printed collateral, advertising, check-ins, in-flight service items but hey the designer came up with a cool design....

787Driver

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:48 pm

NickWebb wrote:
Armodeen wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

I think you mean few Airliner.netters don't like it, I think you'll find that the public like it!

Yeah, I think most of it has to do with nostalgia. I also missed the old SAS, American, Finnair scheme etc., in the beginning, but times are changing and after a while most new liveries grow on me, including the new LH scheme. The old one with the grey belly was outdated, as painful as it may seem to let it go, lol.

Polot wrote:
I remain convinced based on posts on A.net and elsewhere that there is/was an active campaign within LH to get some LH employees, or people/agencies contracted by LH, to consistently post overtly positive opinions about LH’s new livery on the internet and social media.

I understand some people may like it, but some of the opinions I have read, especially when it first came out, have been border line over the top.

That's very farfetched. I'm sure that LH has better things to do. I'm not an LH employee and not even German, and I like the new livery for the most part, believe it or not.

I think the crane should have been a silver color instead of plain white, but except for that, it's pretty good in my opinion.

Polot

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:00 pm

787Driver wrote:
Polot wrote:

That's very farfetched. I'm sure that LH has better things to do. I'm not an LH employee and not even German, and I like the new livery for the most part, believe it or not.

I think the crane should have been a silver color instead of plain white, but except for that, it's pretty good in my opinion.

You would be surprised about some of the tactics that marketing agencies/departments use. LH no doubt has a marketing department and it is their entire job to promote the brand/airline. It is not their job to make fleet decisions, service decisions, route decisions, deal with pax issues, etc. What I described is not unheard of in the marketing world, although maybe in the aviation industry (idk).

fraT

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Polot wrote:

I am no LH employee but know many people at their HQ. Although there are voices who miss the yellow on the tails, it was no big issue there as well after a week or so.
As somebody else posted above, there are more important things to do, so after some days the discussions really softened.

sgbroimp

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
Plain, Boring, Lufthansa

No, boring plane, Lufthansa. Looks like somebody's air force paint job.

OneSexyL1011

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:11 pm

To think they paid somebody 100's of thousands of dollars, if not millions to design this livery.

I could have done it for a tenth of the cost, using Microsoft paint and saved them the time and money for this abomination.

smartplane

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

euroflyer wrote:
Airplane livery painting is quoted according to its level of complexity, which includes number of colors, type of painting and finish (mica, varnish, pearly...), handmade items, location of logos etc... While I find LH livery boring, I can understand that these new adjustments can save costs by several millions € on a fleet.

And those fancy designs add to end of lease / end of service costs. White nacelles save money if you have an engine maintenance plan.

And the colour times rules applies to signage, clothing, business cards, letter heads................

wingman

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:19 pm

glideslope wrote:
No yellow on the vertical stab, not LH IMO. Uninspiring, "Casper Milk Toast" livery.

100% agree. That was the one color in any of their logo schemes you could spot a mile off and say, yup, that's Lufti. This new scheme, most of these new schemes, where are they coming from? Is there some design house or philosophy driving these boring ass "blech" paint jobs? In this case it's as if the designer had some inspiration going, had just done the final brush stroke on the tail and then...BAM! Massive aneurism exploded in the brain and he died spilling the yellow paint all over the floor. I guess no one noticed the intention and just said..add the name to the front of it and that's that for another 20 years. Meit gott im Himmel, why?

superbizzy73

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 pm

First off, I do kind of like the new livery, but getting rid of the iconic yellow was definitely a mistake. Even just the bird and circle on the tail in yellow would be better. Second, the new livery makes the A380 look about 100 feet long. Just something weird about the proportions with all that white contrasting with the tail. Third, I seriously think that Lufthansa should go airline-wide with the retro livery on D-ABYT, the 747-8. Now that would definitely be different from everyone else.

EddieDude

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 pm

LH should have never gotten rid of the gold (or is it yellow?). Having said that, perhaps the plane on which the new livery looks best is the A380.
Upcoming AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), UX CUN-MAD A332 (Y), KL MAD-AMS 739 (J), AM AMS-MEX 788 (J).

325i

Re: First Lufthansa A380 in New Livery Rolled OutaIMPRESSIE!

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

IMPRESSIVE !

marcelh

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:05 pm

A lot of people are complaining about the new livery, but the design philosophy is IMHO much more than just this livery. And yes, I like this clean 21st century look instead of the Spiegelei. That is just so 1970s... And no, I’m not a LH employee

LH748

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:17 pm

It's just sad
My least favorite A380 now
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

glideslope

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm

wingman wrote:
glideslope wrote:

100% agree. That was the one color in any of their logo schemes you could spot a mile off and say, yup, that's Lufti. This new scheme, most of these new schemes, where are they coming from? Is there some design house or philosophy driving these boring ass "blech" paint jobs? In this case it's as if the designer had some inspiration going, had just done the final brush stroke on the tail and then...BAM! Massive aneurism exploded in the brain and he died spilling the yellow paint all over the floor. I guess no one noticed the intention and just said..add the name to the front of it and that's that for another 20 years. Meit gott im Himmel, why?

Different generation. :old:
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

Goodbye

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 pm

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
To think they paid somebody 100's of thousands of dollars, if not millions to design this livery.

I could have done it for a tenth of the cost, using Microsoft paint and saved them the time and money for this abomination.

Everyone seems to forget that a rebranding is so much more than just the livery.

Could you have provided a complete brand overhaul and strategy in MS Paint?

Perhaps you should take a look below at what actually went into the rebranding:

https://www.underconsideration.com/bran ... _house.php
Last edited by Goodbye on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✈︎

EBJ68

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:48 pm

I understand the idea that a basic scheme makes it easier to swap airplanes between airlines associated with a specific airline group. But is swapping that common, such that this practice is not only practical, but necessary?

EBJ68

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Interestingly, Etihad went from what I thought was a very attractive scheme to something that was elaborate and, from what I gather from this thread, had to have been very expensive too. Totally contrary to what appears to be the most accepted practice now.

RJNUT

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 pm

nobody looks at planes. they are ALL staring at their devices. It seems the brand refresh is more apparent in the interiors.

ACCS300

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 pm

One thing that always looks fantastic on LH planes, regardless of livery, is how immaculate and clean they always are. I'm always so impressed when arriving at FRA, most are spotless. ...and btw, the livery looks great on the A380 IMO.

musman9853

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 pm

god i hate eurowhites

FW200

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:57 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
willyj wrote:
I don’t understand what LH is thinking with the new livery. The old one was classic and chic, and this new one is anything but... just boring and ugly.

a) no one booking a ticket cares
b) it safes money

So, if that were true, what was the reason for changing the livery then at all in the first place?

"Liveries are overrated, nobody cares about them" - why hiring an expensive design-agency to change them then? If they are as unimportant as you want us make believe, there is absolutely no need to replace an old one by a new. That, indeed, would have saved a lot of money!

These are the classic excuses used by the designers and those who hired them to declare a somewhat derailed outcome completely "unimportant" and "not relevant".

tommy1808 wrote:
And as you can see in this and by now half a dozen or so other threads, it is not universally disliked, some people do like it and over time more will after getting used to it.

Wow, great success: Not ALL dislike it, there are even a hand full guys who in fact like it. And for the rest: they will get used to it, for they don't have a choice anyway....
Would be a great presentation speech for the CEO of a corporate design company to his customer..... :mrgreen:

cpd wrote:
But, I'll wait for the OS version of the A380, because it, along with the 747-8i will obviously be swapped over to that airline...

:lol: Yes, and they can't wait to get the A346 as well... :airplane:

S0Y

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 am

Lilienthal wrote:
N415XJ wrote:

Did you know that in the design industry, this change was actually well received?

ha ha, of course they like it, someone will get big $$$ to fix this in couple of years time :rotfl:

S0Y

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:27 am

duplicate

WBM

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 am

It tends to surprise me how passionate people get about liveries. This is just my opinion, but I think the new livery looks better than the old. Of course I did not really care for the old livery.

hongkongflyer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:44 am

EBJ68 wrote:
I understand the idea that a basic scheme makes it easier to swap airplanes between airlines associated with a specific airline group. But is swapping that common, such that this practice is not only practical, but necessary?

They should learn from HU Group, basically 90% of the airlines under HU Group share the 100% identical livery.
Swapping is as easy as just changing the first 2 words (Chinese) and 1 word (English) and that is.

tommy1808

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:41 am

FW200 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
willyj wrote:
I don’t understand what LH is thinking with the new livery. The old one was classic and chic, and this new one is anything but... just boring and ugly.

b) it safes money

So, if that were true, what was the reason for changing the livery then at all in the first place?

Because it is easier to maintain and cheaper to change when transferring aircraft from one airline in the group to another.

, there is absolutely no need to replace an old one by a new. That, indeed, would have saved a lot of money!

That is why they don't replace old with new as fast as they can, but pretty much when they get new paint anyways.

There are just two possible reasons to put paint with a design on an aircraft:

a) giving an attractive look that help business in one way or another.
b) It is cheaper.

Either it is attractive, and people disliking it just have their taste out of whack, or it saves LH money.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

BREECH

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:56 am

ezragollan0 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AeronauticsO/status/1070857292353019905

Lufthansa's first A380 in the new colors has been rolled out in Guangzhou. The aircraft, D-AIMD, is currently undergoing maintenance checks before heading back to Germany.

Wait, wait, wait... GUANGZHOU!?!? WHY was LH painting their plane in GUANGZHOU? What happened to their famous Lufthansa Technik? Can't they throw a bucket of paint on an airliner anymore?
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

DominikR83

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am

Why should they do it in Frankfurt when the same can be done in Guangzhou for less money? If LH can save money without losing quality..why not?

Regarding the delivery: It is not that bad, but there are two things that i don`t like/don`t understand

1.: Why any new livery at all? It wasn`t really necessary.The former one still looked good and timeless.
2. Why no yellow? I talked to a lot of people here in germany, all of them no airline/plane enthusiasts.And all of them told me that for them the signature color of LH was yellow.
There where so many airlines which do have blue but htis sort of dark yellow is almost unique and every child and adult in germany where able to identify a LH plane or LH checkin counter from miles away. With the new livery they have given up their signature color. Even if only the crane and circle around it would have stayed yellow that would have been enough.

787Driver

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:17 am

DominikR83 wrote:
Why should they do it in Frankfurt when the same can be done in Guangzhou for less money? If LH can save money without losing quality..why not?

Regarding the delivery: It is not that bad, but there are two things that i don`t like/don`t understand

1.: Why any new livery at all? It wasn`t really necessary.The former one still looked good and timeless.
2. Why no yellow? I talked to a lot of people here in germany, all of them no airline/plane enthusiasts.And all of them told me that for them the signature color of LH was yellow.
There where so many airlines which do have blue but htis sort of dark yellow is almost unique and every child and adult in germany where able to identify a LH plane or LH checkin counter from miles away. With the new livery they have given up their signature color. Even if only the crane and circle around it would have stayed yellow that would have been enough.

No they haven’t. In fact they widely use yellow in the terminals, boarding cards, uniforms, website, etc. It’s only gone from the livery except for the welcome sign next to the entry doors.

aerokiwi

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
FW200 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

b) it safes money

Because it is easier to maintain and cheaper to change when transferring aircraft from one airline in the group to another.

, there is absolutely no need to replace an old one by a new. That, indeed, would have saved a lot of money!

That is why they don't replace old with new as fast as they can, but pretty much when they get new paint anyways.

b) It is cheaper.

Either it is attractive, and people disliking it just have their taste out of whack, or it saves LH money.

Best regards
Thomas

So why not just standardise LH Group liveries around the old one, white with grey lower belly and engine nacelles? Tick... done!

Probably because the "interchanging" of aircraft between carriers is likely a nonsense and in reality won't happen much at all iver their lifetimes.

Meanwhile, the argument of "pax don't care about liveries so stop whinging" has been elegantly rebuffed.

Oh and the comment regarding "the design industry" - please. If this means that Brand New Under Consideration echo chamber of banality, then look further afield. I mean, these brilliant experts bungled it with the need for a colour change - pretty embarrassing - having already co-opted Qantas's long-standing design basis. "Brilliant" stuff.

tommy1808

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:25 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
FW200 wrote:

b) It is cheaper.

Best regards
Thomas

So why not just standardise LH Group liveries around the old one, white with grey lower belly and engine nacelles? Tick... done!

"When they are painted anyways" ....

Probably because the "interchanging" of aircraft between carriers is likely a nonsense and in reality won't happen much at all iver their lifetimes.

Well, to bad we all know that LH shifts around quite prolific. Not all types, but A330, 340, 320 change hands quite a bit.

Meanwhile, the argument of "pax don't care about liveries so stop whinging" has been elegantly rebuffed.

Show one airline where passenger trends where noticeable affected by livery changes. Passengers don't care about it, most people don't even care what airline or type.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos