Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YVRcanuck
Topic Author

Crash of Dragon Rapide at Abbotsford Airshow

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 pm

https://www.abbynews.com/news/breaking- ... l-airshow/
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... al-airshow

This rare De Havilland Dragon Rapide was based at John Sessions' Historic Flight Foundation in Mulkiteo/Paine Field, WA. The HFF brought up 3 aircraft for this airshow. Their Grumman F8F Bearcat, a Grumman TBM 3E Avenger "Ida Red" owned by Michael Kopp and based at HFF, and this Dragon Rapide. Apparently, from news reports, the TBM and Rapide were giving rides to paying passengers at the conclusion of the Airshow. The Rapide took off with 5 occupants, and it appeared that she was caught in a gust of wind, which caused her right wing tip to dip into the ground, resulting in the crash. Fortunately, no fire broke out. But unfortunately, there were 2 injuries, one seriously and one critically. Pictures show extensive damage to the starboard wing and fuselage of the Rapide.

CrimsonNL

Re: Crash of Dragon Rapide at Abbotsford Airshow

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Wow, classic aviation can't seem to get a break this summer. Hoping all the injured will recover soon!

Martijn

ThePointblank

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 am

I can confirm I was there at the air show that day when the aircraft crashed, but had no access to internet, nor was I able to get pictures as I was elsewhere at the show. Great response by the first responders and the ground crew from CFB Comox, who were already on standby and just started to stand down as the air demo's had just wrapped up.

It did cause some glitches for the following day's program; the CF-18 Hornet that was painted in the NORAD 60th paint scheme was stuck at the Shell Aviation area beside the Cascades Aerospace hangar, and the TBM-3 Avenger was forced to divert (I believe Boundary Bay) and had to begin it's flight demo from the diversion airport as the Abbotsford was shut down until the aircraft was cleared. The show schedule did get jumbled up a bit as a result, with various demos taking place out of turn.

iamlucky13

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 am

According to the local paper from where Historic Flight Foundation was based, one of those airlifted to the hospital was the pilot, HFF founder John Sessions.
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/historic ... how-crash/

I sincerely hope and pray everyone recovers quickly and fully. Mr. Sessions really has done a lot to share his love of historic aircraft with the community. I see his aircraft up flying regularly throughout the year, and anytime there's a public flying event at Paine Field, he's there, talking with folks about the planes or getting ready to do a passenger flight. I hate to think of him or anyone else being hurt flying such a beautiful aircraft.

ThePointblank

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:39 am

John Sessions is also a regular at the Abbotsford Air Show; he has had aircraft taking part in the air show for over a decade now.

YVRcanuck
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
According to the local paper from where Historic Flight Foundation was based, one of those airlifted to the hospital was the pilot, HFF founder John Sessions.
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/historic ... how-crash/

I sincerely hope and pray everyone recovers quickly and fully. Mr. Sessions really has done a lot to share his love of historic aircraft with the community. I see his aircraft up flying regularly throughout the year, and anytime there's a public flying event at Paine Field, he's there, talking with folks about the planes or getting ready to do a passenger flight. I hate to think of him or anyone else being hurt flying such a beautiful aircraft.

Yes, Unfortunately, Vanessa at HFF has confirmed that it was John Sessions at the control. He was evac to the hospital in critical condition and then later upgraded to serious condition. I do hope that he will recover in time and resume flying. He is quite a guy, I attended a couple of ground schools which he ran at the HFF. What he has done at the HFF is nothing short of amazing comparing his resources with that of Paul Allen's FHCAM across the runway. A sad day for members of HFF.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos