Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Re: Philadelphia route expansion?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Domestically I also thinK JetBlue could expand to San Juan and Orlando and possibly LAX, Alaska Air to San Diego and San Jose. I would mention Frontier but they are always adding and removing routes every time I turn around. I also feel PHL might get OAK service at some point with Southwest especially for connections to Hawaii.

dbo861

Re: Philadelphia route expansion

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 pm

FSDan wrote:
The PHL hub has definitely been rounded out quite a bit with mid-sized domestic markets in the last year (OKC, OMA, DSM, MSN, PNS, etc.), but there are maybe a few more good options for AA.

Speaking of, these routes have operated for almost a whole summer now. I'm curious how they've performed.

soflaflyer

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 am

bridge29 wrote:
In addition, PHL will be a 787 base in 2020 - so we'll very likely see some 787s on international routes ex-PHL.

Was this announced by AA?

usairways85

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 am

soflaflyer wrote:
bridge29 wrote:
In addition, PHL will be a 787 base in 2020 - so we'll very likely see some 787s on international routes ex-PHL.

Was this announced by AA?

Yes...internally at a recent employee town hall

Midwest2K

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 am

TWFlyGuy wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
A fundamental question in my mind is - how many spare widebodies does AA have for international service? Folks discuss expansion plans and dreams, but does AA have the lift to accomplish this? Seems to me that if AA was planning on expanding, a prudent course of action would be to 1) not retire the A330-300s so fast, or 2) find some second hand A330-200s or 772s on the market.

Based on the fleet plan posted in the AA network thread (see below), it seems they may not have the spares to add more. They'll actually be decreasing their widebody fleet next year.

2017 YE 2018 YE 2019 YE 2020
B763 24 24 18 5
B772 47 47 47 47
B773 20 20 20 20
B788 20 20 20 32
B789 14 20 22 22
A332 15 15 15 15
A333 9 9 9 9
149 155 151 150

The 6 763s leaving next year will be after the peak summer season. Also, how many more 789s are coming in this year? Those aircraft will offset peak season reductions in off season. Are any planes currently out for retrofit? Will there be 757s available for shorter routes? Will the 7M8 fill some routes? Will AA switch some routes to partners (BA to PHX, BA on ORD-MAN, etc.?

Also, if AA drops ORD-PVG and changes some routings, 3 or more 788s will be freed up.

MalcolmInTheMoM

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
You made excellent points. I’ve always thought of San Jose being a next destination. Leakage to Newark and JFK doesn’t help PHL either but west coast is def something AA must boost up

Thanks! Yes they really need to improve over here. It's kind of embarrassing to think that AA, the airline that swallowed OC and PS (by way of US) only has 5 intra-California flights now and they're all out of LAX! But that's an issue separate from PHL entirely so sorry for the off-topic moment.

PHL, from what I hear, has been a true win for AA's network and it's good to see them growing and adding new domestic routes. Strengthening their California transcon presence can only help to elevate the airport's value as a New York alternative. People on here tend to focus on the European flights but many of them wouldn't exist without connecting traffic from other U.S. cities. Hopefully they either retire or refurbish their 763s based there to have a hard product on par with nearby competing TATL hubs at EWR and JFK. You guys should almost be hoping for that more than new routes haha.

[Edit] It looks like they'll be getting rid of those 763s sooner than I thought. Thank God!

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 am

MalcolmInTheMoM wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
You made excellent points. I’ve always thought of San Jose being a next destination. Leakage to Newark and JFK doesn’t help PHL either but west coast is def something AA must boost up

Thanks! Yes they really need to improve over here. It's kind of embarrassing to think that AA, the airline that swallowed OC and PS (by way of US) only has 5 intra-California flights now and they're all out of LAX! But that's an issue separate from PHL entirely so sorry for the off-topic moment.

PHL, from what I hear, has been a true win for AA's network and it's good to see them growing and adding new domestic routes. Strengthening their California transcon presence can only help to elevate the airport's value as a New York alternative. People on here tend to focus on the European flights but many of them wouldn't exist without connecting traffic from other U.S. cities. Hopefully they either retire or refurbish their 763s based there to have a hard product on par with nearby competing TATL hubs at EWR and JFK. You guys should almost be hoping for that more than new routes haha.

[Edit] It looks like they'll be getting rid of those 763s sooner than I thought. Thank God!

Yea 787-8 will be based here at PHL starting in 2020. And yea your right since AA is a hub for PHL they should focus on West coast transfers. I have a feeling tho they’d consider Dallas a mid way point fro transfer from west to east from secondary California cities

washingtonflyer

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 am

MalcolmInTheMoM wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

What do you mean 5 flights? Do you mean 5 -cities-? Then yes, that's true. Although, they do code share on some other routes with AS (STS, MMH and maybe one or two others).

LH658

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 am

PHL to AMM Royal Jordanian.
PHL to MAD Iberia
PHL - Tokyo JAL/AA
PHL- HEL Finnair/AA
PHL - GRU/GIG Latam/AA
PHL - CHINA CX/AA/CZ
PHL - IST TK

LH658

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 am

PHL to MAD Iberia
PHL - Tokyo JAL/AA
PHL- HEL Finnair/AA
PHL - GRU/GIG Latam/AA
PHL - CHINA CX/AA/CZ
PHL - IST TK

acentauri

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 am

I have an idea this Dreamer thread will go on until school starts. :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

jplatts

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

WN could bring back PHL-LAX and PHL-OAK nonstop service in order to better compete against AS in California. Additionally, WN also could bring back PHL-AUS and PHL-SAT nonstop service, and WN could also add PHL-MCI and PHL-MKE nonstop service.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:28 pm

jplatts wrote:
WN could bring back PHL-LAX and PHL-OAK nonstop service in order to better compete against AS in California. Additionally, WN also could bring back PHL-AUS and PHL-SAT nonstop service, and WN could also add PHL-MCI and PHL-MKE nonstop service.

Out of the markets you mentioned I feel that OAK, AUS and possibly MCI would be the best bet for southwest to start services. No competition for OAK route, AUS is a thriving market that even F9 decided to extend service from seasonal to year round and MCI is up and coming and good hub IMO. Out of the other routes mentioned I feel LAX would be least likely to start with WN since it’s a lot of competition with Spirit, AA, and AS. If they did start LAX service which would be awesome they probably have to run at least 2x daily.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm

LH658 wrote:
PHL to MAD Iberia
PHL - Tokyo JAL/AA
PHL- HEL Finnair/AA
PHL - GRU/GIG Latam/AA
PHL - CHINA CX/AA/CZ
PHL - IST TK

I can only see IBERIA and JAL start service in near future since they’re OW. But stranger routes have happened so guess we got to wait and see.

usairways85

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I don't see any WN expansion at PHL. They retreated to Florida and their big connection points (BNA, DAL, DEN, MDW, barely hanging onto ATL). Even in WN's heyday at PHL with 60+ flights a day, they ran no more than a handful of transcons.

bridge29

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Domestically I also thinK JetBlue could expand to San Juan and Orlando and possibly LAX, Alaska Air to San Diego and San Jose. I would mention Frontier but they are always adding and removing routes every time I turn around. I also feel PHL might get OAK service at some point with Southwest especially for connections to Hawaii.

JetBlue has their hands full right now, but I often thought having a similar strategy to what AS has on the west coast replicated on the east coast could be good for them. And unlike AS, they have a superior transcon product with Mint. In other words, fly transcons with Mint aircraft from major east coast cities (BOS, JFK, IAD, FLL and maybe even RDU).

jbpdx

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:54 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Convert PHL-PDX to year-round/daily service. Not sure why it's still seasonal. Both AS and AA have had great LF's on that route...

American’s PHL-PDX 11-week summer run ends this coming Monday. Alaska’s 12-week 3-month season ends 25 August.

TheFlyGuy

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello all! Longtime reader, first time poster here. Here are my thoughts on some decent candidates for domestic route expansion at PHL:

SBN - Granted AA just resumed service to FWA and might want to give that route time to mature.
TOL/FNT/LAN - One of the three. I believe (might be wrong) that the only one of these airports with service to the NE is LAN to DCA on AA.
PIA or MLI - As with the suggestions above, would be a continuation of recent AA expansion from PHL to the Midwest.
AVL
LIT or XNA
TUL &/or ICT - See SBN above. AA just started service to OKC this summer and might want to allow that route time to mature.

As other posters have already stated, PHL service to the West Coast is somewhat weak and expansion here could help boost connections to Europe and secondary NE markets. PHL actually has non-stop service to more European markets than it does domestic markets west of the Great Plains. IMHO, year-round service to PDX as well as launching new service SJC are the best expansion candidates and possibly SNA as a runner-up. Long shots possibilities I'd say are ABQ, TUS and perhaps COS.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 pm

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Hello all! Longtime reader, first time poster here. Here are my thoughts on some decent candidates for domestic route expansion at PHL:

SBN - Granted AA just resumed service to FWA and might want to give that route time to mature.
TOL/FNT/LAN - One of the three. I believe (might be wrong) that the only one of these airports with service to the NE is LAN to DCA on AA.
PIA or MLI - As with the suggestions above, would be a continuation of recent AA expansion from PHL to the Midwest.
AVL
LIT or XNA
TUL &/or ICT - See SBN above. AA just started service to OKC this summer and might want to allow that route time to mature.

As other posters have already stated, PHL service to the West Coast is somewhat weak and expansion here could help boost connections to Europe and secondary NE markets. PHL actually has non-stop service to more European markets than it does domestic markets west of the Great Plains. IMHO, year-round service to PDX as well as launching new service SJC are the best expansion candidates and possibly SNA as a runner-up. Long shots possibilities I'd say are ABQ, TUS and perhaps COS.

Good suggestion for routes. I heard AA routes from SBN are doing really well that they might consider expanding to new routes hopefully PHL comes to mind. You're right one thing that the recent routes already added this summer need to mature first. Just wonder if they have enough aircraft availability. West coast expansion definitely is a must for sure. Like I mentioned in a preview post I can also see OAK service from Southwest mainly when they start Hawaii service

YYZflyboy

Re: Philadelphia route expansion

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
acentauri wrote:
YYZflyboy wrote:

There's a lot of one-stop possibilities: AA via ORD/JFK/LAX/DFW/BOS, and most customers can also connect via Europe (LHR, DUB, FRA, MAD, FCO, MXP) for CX and JL routes (makes sense from a landing perspective - most flights from Europe land early in the morning in Asia, which is perfect for businesspeople). There's also QR via Doha.

AA doesn't fly BOS-PEK. ORD-PEK has been canceled effective in late October. PHL-PEK is only 500 nm further than LAX-PEK and the same distance as DFW-PEK, so distance shouldn't be a factor. OTOH, unless AA can siphon acceptable O&D yields from the NJ/NY region and somewhat compromise DFW connecting traffic, PHL may not work any better that Chicago. OTOH (2), since Parker tried PHL-PEK once (authority), but didn't have an acceptable frame available, he may just go back for seconds. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Not sure why anyone flying to East Asia would fly through Europe. It's quicker to just hop onto one of the gajilion buses (or train) to NYC and catch one of the gajillion flights to East Asia at NYC. And it's not like connecting in Europe is cheaper, either.

PHL-East Asia in general would relied on O&D traffic. The business base at Philly, at least those with tie to APAC region, is not quite as large as Boston or even DC (Hence why CX picked IAD first) either. There are VFR traffic, but those are not necessarily high yield.

All I'll say is, when even HU hasn't bite (or they may have, but didn't have the money or rights) on PHL yet, it's hard to imagine JL or CX does.

Flight time through Europe (LHR/FRA/MAD) is competitive from Eastern Seaboard vs. via LAX/SFO/YVR. (Around 22 hours either way).

TheFlyGuy

Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:28 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

AVL
LIT or XNA

Good suggestion for routes. I heard AA routes from SBN are doing really well that they might consider expanding to new routes hopefully PHL comes to mind. You're right one thing that the recent routes already added this summer need to mature first. Just wonder if they have enough aircraft availability. West coast expansion definitely is a must for sure. Like I mentioned in a preview post I can also see OAK service from Southwest mainly when they start Hawaii service

I agree that OAK service on WN could be in the near future. WN is resuming service to HOU from PHL and I see OAK as the most likely next route addition from PHL.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:05 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

AVL
LIT or XNA

I agree that OAK service on WN could be in the near future. WN is resuming service to HOU from PHL and I see OAK as the most likely next route addition from PHL.

The Bay Area def needs more competition in general from PHL.

GSP psgr

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 pm

So I saw that PHL is planning on building a new commuter terminal on the other side of 17-35, which seems strange given that F isn't all that old to start with; to me it only makes sense if you then tore F down and replaced it with a new Concourse or two (a complete replacement of the AA hub gates at B/C would make a fair amount of sense, but they're also throwing money at those). Maybe a teardown of Concourse D?

Also, is there a solution in the offing for the overcrowding of the International gates on A? I would assume the purchase of International Plaza might hint at a new A-Far West complex, replacing or allowing for a drastic refurb of A-East.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
So I saw that PHL is planning on building a new commuter terminal on the other side of 17-35, which seems strange given that F isn't all that old to start with; to me it only makes sense if you then tore F down and replaced it with a new Concourse or two (a complete replacement of the AA hub gates at B/C would make a fair amount of sense, but they're also throwing money at those). Maybe a teardown of Concourse D?

Also, is there a solution in the offing for the overcrowding of the International gates on A? I would assume the purchase of International Plaza might hint at a new A-Far West complex, replacing or allowing for a drastic refurb of A-East.

I didn’t hear about a new commuter terminal possibly being built. Yea does seem like F has enough gates but that’s something to keep and eye one. It makes sense for if they built a new terminal for international expansion. The Plaza I believe is to expand cargo services to make it a bigger hub outside of UPS

usairways85

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 pm

Any new terminals have been de-prioritized and I'd put them at 10+ years out. I think there might be an effort to expand A-west, but that again is probably several years out.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Any new terminals have been de-prioritized and I'd put them at 10+ years out. I think there might be an effort to expand A-west, but that again is probably several years out.

Agreed with all the money they are spending for current projects and a new Tower terminal expansion would started later on I’m few years

usairways85

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 pm

They've done quite a bit to freshen up the existing terminals. I noticed a stark improvement in the UA/DL area of the D hammerhead. Similar to what they've done at the UA terminals in EWR/IAH.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 pm

usairways85 wrote:
They've done quite a bit to freshen up the existing terminals. I noticed a stark improvement in the UA/DL area of the D hammerhead. Similar to what they've done at the UA terminals in EWR/IAH.

Yea I believe overall the terminals are getting up dates which should help the passenger experience.

xijiayu

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:48 pm

AA will commence PHL - EDI service next year from 2 April to 26 October using B757:

https://www.edinburghairport.com/about- ... iladelphia

I wonder how this service will affect existing PHL - GLA service?

chepos

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 pm

xijiayu wrote:
AA will commence PHL - EDI service next year from 2 April to 26 October using B757:

GLA service will be CX.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:07 pm

xijiayu wrote:

Yea like the other poster mentioned the GLA service will be terminated. Guess it was underperforming

usflyer msp

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:59 pm

xijiayu wrote:

Ironically, the flight was originally a PHL-EDI flight launched by US in 2014 - then it was moved to JFK after the US/AA merger and now they are moving it back.

jeffh747

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:59 pm

What’s gonna happen with the UPS operation when the new 9R is built? That runway looks like it’s going to be built right over the existing property where UPS operates out of.

Bigant0408
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
What’s gonna happen with the UPS operation when the new 9R is built? That runway looks like it’s going to be built right over the existing property where UPS operates out of.

There’s new updates on a new runway? Last I heard that was put on hiatus for now. I know that UPS would be relocated still on airport property but I forgot the exact location.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos