Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojjunior
Topic Author

Bigboy AN-225 Myria in a casual low pass?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Well, it's just me surprised about this scene?
This might be just another day for the Ukranian folks but damn, this is fantastic.
Am I overreacting too much about it?
Mods, please reclassify the thread if it doesn't belong here.
Last edited by ojjunior on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencer32

Re: Bigboy AN-225 Myria in a casual low pass?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I think the Ukrainians might take issue with labelling the AN-225 Russian! :)
Beautiful shot though.

ojjunior
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 pm

spencer32 wrote:
I think the Ukrainians might take issue with labelling the AN-225 Russian! :)
Beautiful shot though.

Fixed. Thanks for the advice.

seabosdca

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Amazing picture of an amazing aircraft. It may be guzzly, temperamental, and awkward, but anything that can lift 250 tonnes into the air and fly it intercontinental distances deserves much respect. Just for comparison's sake, that's a couple Super Dutys more than the payloads of a 747-8F and a 777F put together.
Last edited by seabosdca on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I wonder what her operating costs per hour are?

scbriml

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 pm

727200 wrote:
I wonder what her operating costs per hour are?

If you need to ask, you can’t afford it! :wink2:

HPRamper

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:00 pm

seabosdca wrote:
Amazing picture of an amazing aircraft. It may be guzzly, temperamental, and awkward, but anything that can lift 250 tonnes into the air and fly it intercontinental distances deserves much respect. Just for comparison's sake, that's a couple Super Dutys more than the payloads of a 747-8F and a 777F put together.

It's a badass plane for sure, but let's not get carried away on range. It's an intercontinental aircraft when it's empty, but with a 250-ton payload the range would be more like 2000 miles. It takes several hops to get such a load from place to place.

rigo

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Carrying such massive loads may be a niche market, but it is a market and there is a need for it. What will happen on the very sad day when this monster's flying career will be over? No-one seems to even think of designing a successor. Or perhaps An will just build another Mriya, identical to this one?

Erebus

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm

seabosdca wrote:
It may be guzzly, temperamental, and awkward, but anything that can lift 250 tonnes into the air ...

That's more than an A330 at MTOW. :faint:

Max Q

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:40 pm

rigo wrote:
Carrying such massive loads may be a niche market, but it is a market and there is a need for it. What will happen on the very sad day when this monster's flying career will be over? No-one seems to even think of designing a successor. Or perhaps An will just build another Mriya, identical to this one?

Good question and one I was about to post

There was a second -225 that was only half way built

There have been rumors this would be completed but they’ve never panned out

Anyone know the latest on this and any plans to build another one from scratch ?

jimatkins

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 am

She is kind of range limited when loaded down. A few years ago there was a typhoon that hit Samoa and they sent a big emergency generator from Caterpillar in Peoria IL to American Samoa. After getting loaded up they broke the trip up with stops at ONT and Honolulu. She was at Ontario for a couple of days and I was deathly ill with bronchitis and missed the chance to drive down and see her. Damm.

rigo

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:36 am

Max Q wrote:
rigo wrote:

Anyone know the latest on this and any plans to build another one from scratch ?

There have also been rumours about a new assembly line in China, but I don't know if that went anywhere either.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 am

Ok, so I found the cost per hour.

Seems there is a wide range since they can't put an actual figure on it, but the minimum quoted, in 2016, was $30,000 and hour to fly it. The max said upwards of $195,000 in 2018. So I guess, pick a figure in between, but 30K 2 years ago and with fuel up, could be $40K..

crownvic

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 am

here is the amazing video of where that photo came from..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnmhgMNWd8E

now lets wait and see when the next a.netter post the exact same video without reading this thread. Its coming..

Gonzalo

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:55 am

crownvic wrote:

now lets wait and see when the next a.netter post the exact same video without reading this thread. Its coming..

What a fantastic machine...
I miss the opportunity to see her just a few days ago when it was here in northern Chile and I was traveling outside borders...
Better luck next time...

boacvc10

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 pm

crownvic wrote:

Beautiful amateur camera work, on a nice sunny (cold) day. The youtube video refers to an 'upgrade' - any details? Also the title indicates a return to the sky -was it out of service?

BOACVC10

Bricktop

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 pm

An amazing machine that must be near the top of every spotter's bucket list.
I haven't seen it yet.

Motorhussy

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 pm

Could the re-engine with more moddern power0ants to increase range?

neomax

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:07 am

crownvic wrote:

That really is an amazing video.

SamTheGeek

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 am

rigo wrote:
Max Q wrote:
rigo wrote:

There have also been rumours about a new assembly line in China, but I don't know if that went anywhere either.

After the little green men showed up and took away Crimea, enthusiasm — and more importantly, funding — seems to have dried up. IIRC, some more work had been completed on the second -225 airframe, but it's a long way from flyable.

Motorhussy wrote:

Absolutely — though there aren't many options with more thrust than the D-18T! More problematically, all of the other engines are first of all Western, and second much more modern — both of which would require externsive rework of the avionics in order to function properly.

aerolimani

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 am

SamTheGeek wrote:
rigo wrote:
Max Q wrote:

After the little green men showed up and took away Crimea, enthusiasm — and more importantly, funding — seems to have dried up. IIRC, some more work had been completed on the second -225 airframe, but it's a long way from flyable.

Motorhussy wrote:

Absolutely — though there aren't many options with more thrust than the D-18T! More problematically, all of the other engines are first of all Western, and second much more modern — both of which would require externsive rework of the avionics in order to function properly.

I don't think a Ukrainian company would have any opposition to western powerplants. Ukraine has FTA's with a number of western countries (including the EU), and even without an FTA, they had almost $2 billion in trade with the USA last year.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:04 am

SamTheGeek wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

How about slightly less newer Western engines? I would think an RB211-524D would work well, would it not?

c933103

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:28 am

SamTheGeek wrote:
rigo wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Motorhussy wrote:

The Chinese plan come up after Crimea Incident.

ish2dachoppa

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:30 am

Bricktop wrote:
An amazing machine that must be near the top of every spotter's bucket list.
I haven't seen it yet.

Caught it in Pakistan during the 2008 earthquake relief efforts.

SkyVoice

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:48 am

LEAPING LEVIATHAN ! ! ! That dude is HUGE ! ! ! :eyepopping:

Suppose a deal is struck to build a few more of these. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if one of them was converted into a water bomber?

xxD328xx

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 am

boacvc10 wrote:
The youtube video refers to an 'upgrade' - any details? Also the title indicates a return to the sky -was it out of service?

If I remember correctly the An-225 wasn't active for over a year. I think there was a thread where someone asked about her status.

Regarding the upgrade: Flightradar24 mentioned it included an ADS-B transponder.
https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/the-antonov-an-225-spring-2018-flight-schedule/

N14AZ

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 am

neomax wrote:
crownvic wrote:

That really is an amazing video.

Yes, thanks for posting this Video and @ ojjunior for starting this thread. I never saw a picture or a video of such a An-225 low pass.

Alexdk

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm

It’s actually a girl.

estorilm

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
SamTheGeek wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

How about slightly less newer Western engines? I would think an RB211-524D would work well, would it not?

Isn't that essentially exactly what the TF39 was in the C5 Galaxy? I think thrust and size are almost identical, and the USAF converted to CF6 very efficiently.

It wouldn't be a huge leap forward in technology, but I'd imagine the dimensions and such are fairly similar and you'd get a good ~36klb thrust bump and the accompanying range / payload increases - basically exactly what happened when they re-engined the C5 except the impacts are ~33% larger when swapping 6 engines instead of 4. I'd have to imagine parts and maintenance would be a huge driver for this as well.

It's still an icon of the Ukrainians (and like it or not, Russia to many people lol) - they'll almost certainly keep everything domestic including the engines. It's a cool thought though!

EDIT: Actually, I'm an idiot. The D18 IS basically the CF6 from an engineering / timeframe point of view. The TF39 was out a good two decades before the D18 really. So not much advantage there, but obviously the same logic applies to many of the more modern engines we now have today. At that thrust range you've got many options.

CaptSkibi

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Link to the photo

ojjunior
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

ish2dachoppa wrote:
Caught it in Pakistan during the 2008 earthquake relief efforts.

Damn, amazing pics... thanks for sharing. More maybe? :bouncy:

SamTheGeek

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 pm

estorilm wrote:
EDIT: Actually, I'm an idiot. The D18 IS basically the CF6 from an engineering / timeframe point of view. The TF39 was out a good two decades before the D18 really. So not much advantage there, but obviously the same logic applies to many of the more modern engines we now have today. At that thrust range you've got many options.

You're definitely not an idiot! I think the problems with avionics would be the real barrier — especially because the An-225 is a one-off, so there's not a ton of money in all the software/integrations/plans. I wouldn't be shocked if they had to rebuild the cockpit to do a swap to a newer-generation engine.

estorilm

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

SamTheGeek wrote:
estorilm wrote:

You're definitely not an idiot! I think the problems with avionics would be the real barrier — especially because the An-225 is a one-off, so there's not a ton of money in all the software/integrations/plans. I wouldn't be shocked if they had to rebuild the cockpit to do a swap to a newer-generation engine.

Well, thanks :lol: Yeah it wouldn't be worth it - for the prices that thing demands, I don't think fuel is a big issue, and they always make many short hops anyways. Plus it isn't FADEC either right? Upgrading the systems for 6 FADEC engines wouldn't be cheap.