Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MooLor

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
SWZ is probably more of a problem than an opportunity for QF, because it splits the market and requires cost duplication.

I think that the Eastern Suburbs and Inner West will always be better served by SYD than SWZ, along with inbound corporate fliers. But the toll roads will link SWZ pretty quickly to many of Sydney's residential suburbs (e.g. northern suburbs M2/7, western suburbs M4 and south/south west M5), especially when avoiding the inner city traffic delays and driving contra peak is taken into account. Those corridors are not small in terms of business fliers, especially M2/7. I doubt QF can completely ignore that, certainly in terms of MEL and BNE.

The rail link looks like it is going to be slow, 40 minutes via Leppington and/or 50 minutes via Blacktown/Parramatta and that assumes express services. A briefing I attended for work about two years ago said an express SWZ - Blacktown - Parramatta - Strathfield - City - North Sydney service would be economic whatever airport traffic looks like, because it links Sydney's 3 main CBDs, but 50 minutes from the airport feels long. Without the nut of CBD access cracked for inbound fliers, it seems difficult to imagine many foreign airlines will look at SWZ positively unless curfew busting is involved, they are a new comer who can't get slots or much cheaper landing fees are offered. Maybe AKL and DPS internationally?

What level of employee is still flying on business? Top-level execs obviously, but other than that is it mostly sales-types? The only business trips I have taken in recent years is to show my face to a client, our internal meetings are teleconferences and communication with the client via phone / email / teleconf. But I'm in IT, may be different to other industries.

The point is, Sydney is not split east / west like it once may have been. Wealth-wise, yeah. Not so the corporate hierarchy - and there are three main CBDs as you point out, one of them in the west. By the time SWZ opens, the current massive motorway-building frenzy will be complete, and many "white collar" homes will be closer time-wise to SWZ than to SYD. The Hills district for example is full of managerial-types, and of course the upper north shore. Part of the rationale for building SWZ after all is to serve the western-Sydney catchment. So it's a brave call if QF are saying "we ain't going there".

The trains ... so disappointing. Even the NSW govt seems blind to the benefits of HSR, or at least true express services. Melbourne is getting federal money for a dedicated airport track (mostly) within the existing rail corridor, why are the NSW pollies not pushing for same? They seem to see SWZ more as an opportunity to grab federal money for regular state infrastructure than as an opportunity to create a world-class facility. All the while their other hand is pushing this 'Aerotropolis' thing. But in true Sydney style, SWZ will probably be a success despite the state govt's bumbling.

Dark horse - Fed govt own SWZ as an 'investment', they will be looking to offload it ASAP. The guys that make the rules can profit from changing the rules, and by providing other incentives for airlines to use SWZ.

I know people fear SWZ will become another Montréal–Mirabel, but I don't see it. For all intents SYD is at capacity. They can tweak things here and there and promise the world with their master plans, but they have not really done anything since it was privatised near 20 years ago. Move the QF Jetbase, move freight, build new terminals. Too late, those projects should have been well underway already. You sell an airport to a bunch of investment bankers lead by the PM's favourite public servant, and you get short-term profit grabbing. Who'd have thought?

sq256

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 am

There's also the infamous QF/CX "relationship" where the only co-operation is lounge accesss & interline arrangements.
VA passengers being removed from the *A lounge at LAX was a NZ decision (as NZ operates the *A lounge at LAX), and was the beginning of the end of the NZ/VA JV.

Previously I've read that *A members weren't allowed to codeshare with airlines outside of their alliance, although I don't know how true this was.
This hasn't been the case in recent years however e.g (LH and EY), along with QF and NZ.

However the loosening of rules within the alliances as of late does put the "future" of global alliances into question. Although yes, VA's only alliance option available to them is ST with long-time BFF and co-founder DL.

xiaotung

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 am

sq256 wrote:

Previously I've read that *A members weren't allowed to codeshare with airlines outside of their alliance, although I don't know how true this was.
This hasn't been the case in recent years however e.g (LH and EY), along with QF and NZ.

However the loosening of rules within the alliances as of late does put the "future" of global alliances into question. Although yes, VA's only alliance option available to them is ST with long-time BFF and co-founder DL.

My understanding is *A members are allowed to codeshare outside of the alliance but it will need approval from *A. The most important criteria is there can't be direct competition from another *A members on a specific route.

I still don't understand the VA in SkyTeam argument. Two of their largest shareholders SQ and EY, one is in *A and the other is getting ever closer to *A. DL is not even on the board. I know your argument about UA and NZ's veto power and I agree nothing can happen in the short term but perhaps we will have a clearer picture once the new VA CEO is appointed.

I don't really think the QF/NZ relationship can go any further than what it is now. How many of you really think QF/NZ partnership makes any sense? Maybe after JB is gone, all parties could go back to more rational thinking.

zkncj

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf002 wrote:
I think D7 is a given, probably 5J as well. I expect SQ will add a redeye out of SWZ, I could see TZ operating to both airports.

I'm pretty sure there'll be an AKL link too - not sure on which carrier(s), though.

Cheers,

C.

Could see NZ keep AKL-SYD as 4x daily with the 77E for premium traffic, with AKL-SWZ 2x daily with an A321NEO (which are all Y).

AKL-SWZ 2x daily - would require 1x A321NEO
AKL-SYD 4x daily - would require 2x 77E.

sq256 wrote:

NZ currently codeshares with VA (ends this year), FJ, TN, CX, VS all of which are not *A.

They are also more than happy to book you onto an non *A airline e.g. AKL-HKG-LHR with HKG-LHR on BA is often an option when booking.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 am

zkncj wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
qf002 wrote:

NZ currently codeshares with VA (ends this year), FJ, TN, CX, VS all of which are not *A.

They are also more than happy to book you onto an non *A airline e.g. AKL-HKG-LHR with HKG-LHR on BA is often an option when booking.

I can think of many airlines in *A, i.e. TK has codeshare agreements with a myriad of airlines.

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
zkncj wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

I can think of many airlines in *A, i.e. TK has codeshare agreements with a myriad of airlines.

LH Group even has a JV with CX so it says everything.

Although alliances are not achieving many of what it was supposed to achieve, I would argue that from FFP perspective it does open up a lot of choices for flyers, especially (for my own benefit) reward tickets that I can fly to the destinations that otherwise won't make the cut :duck:

Michael

MooLor

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 am

xiaotung wrote:
I don't really think the QF/NZ relationship can go any further than what it is now. How many of you really think QF/NZ partnership makes any sense? Maybe after JB is gone, all parties could go back to more rational thinking.

I see it as a 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation. Would serve them both well if they could put VA out of business or get them to abandon International.

Most amusing when you consider QF were on the ropes not so long ago and NZ were one of those throwing the punches. True pragmatism at work on AJ's part now.

sq256

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 am

MooLor wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

I see it as a 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation. Would serve them both well if they could put VA out of business or get them to abandon International.

Most amusing when you consider QF were on the ropes not so long ago and NZ were one of those throwing the punches. True pragmatism at work on AJ's part now.

One of the rumours going around in regards to the Luxon/Borghetti confrontation was to get JB and the rest of the VA board to abandon Int'l in favour of directing traffic to NZ. JB had the backing of the board members of the EY/SQ/Virgin Group with the reason that "NZ was being selfish", which led to NZ's exit from VA.

I can't see JB's successor, whoever it may be, to cede to NZ/Luxon's demands if they were to talk again.
Especially with SQ's intention of having a foothold in the Trans-Pacific market via VA. SQ and UA aren't exactly the best of friends either so SQ are willing to step on UA's toes in this case.

If anything, there's a better chance of the rumour of DL buying the EY and/or HNA stakes and turning VA into "Delta Air Lines Australia" to compliment their "Delta Air Lines UK" (VS) division, with VA's only Int'l being NZ and USA to feed into DL and SkyTeam similar to DL's control of VS where the bulk of VS' Int'l is Trans-Atlantic.

tullamarine

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 am

NZ and QF can't go any further because of massive competition issues. Any attempt to codeshare or cooperate internationally would run foul of competition authorities on both sides of the Tasman and be refused.

QF has no interest in running VA out of business; they are fully aware that they will never be allowed to operate a domestic monopoly in Australia and ,even if they were, it would require a complete legal separation of the international and domestic businesses. NZ would have preferred VA to exit international particularly whilst NZ was a shareholder and direct all Pacific pax via NZ's AKL hub. The other shareholders in VA correctly saw this as being a benefit to nobody except NZ and refused. This was a fundamental dispute in the breakdown of the NZ/VA relationship.

sq256

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 am

tullamarine wrote:

NZ and QF can't go any further because of massive competition issues. Any attempt to codeshare or cooperate internationally would run foul of competition authorities on both sides of the Tasman and be refused.

QF has no interest in running VA out of business; they are fully aware that they will never be allowed to operate a domestic monopoly in Australia and ,even if they were, it would require a complete legal separation of the international and domestic businesses. NZ would have preferred VA to exit international particularly whilst NZ was a shareholder and direct all Pacific pax via NZ's AKL hub. The other shareholders in VA correctly saw this as being a benefit to nobody except NZ and refused. This was a fundamental dispute in the breakdown of the NZ/VA relationship.

In addition, VA started Int'l as DJ, well before JB came on board VA and back when DJ was making money.

JB's predecessor BG was one of the figureheads behind setting up V Australia at the time, and also made the decision to abandon the UA interline with DJ in favour setting up the VA JV with DL and VX.

Hence why VA working with UA makes no sense, considering theres been third party reports of VA and UA not honouring each other's third party interlines (Travel Agents / websites) interlines and making those customers re-check their bags.

moa999

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 am

The other issue with VA Int is how it's actually funded.. given its grandfathered shareholding (to keep foreign interests under 50%).

Obviously not broken out but I assume the internal books show some large loans (probably no different to Jetstar Asia)

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:51 am

Qantas 789 VH-ZNF has its B2 flight overnight and is now ready for delivery

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:01 am

TT now has its 4th 737-800 after VH-VOR has being repainted from VA to TT livery

qf2220

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am

MooLor wrote:
Dark horse - Fed govt own SWZ as an 'investment', they will be looking to offload it ASAP. The guys that make the rules can profit from changing the rules, and by providing other incentives for airlines to use SWZ.

This is how the Feds do value capture. Its a blunt instrument but it works...

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:38 am

qf789 wrote:
TT now has its 4th 737-800 after VH-VOR has being repainted from VA to TT livery

Interestingly the bird used to wear TT's livery between 07 Feb 2016 and 02 Mar 2017 before being repainted white...... That's precisely why VA can't run an airline properly.

Michael

VHSMM

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 am

tullamarine wrote:

I'm not certain this is correct, if VA goes out of business, QANTAS will have a monopoly and won't have to change its structure.

Velocity7

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am

eta unknown wrote:
I remember arriving at the old BNE international terminal on a BA 747 and the captain announcing, 'after we land we'll have the longest taxi in the world to the gate'. I also remember my reaction when I saw the terminal, akin to 'what the hell is this- a cargo shed?' Turns out it was lol

It wasn't good was it! I had a similar 'long' experience on a BA 747 in 1983 after that excruciating taxi: BNE-SYD-SIN-KUL-AUH-LHR, same aircraft all the way through. I can't recall if it was the normal scheduled route but I think it was about 37 hours. How times have changed! :D

bunumuring

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 am

Hey guys,
I agree with sq256's analysis. It's what I imagine happening too. Delta buys out Etihad and At least some of HNA's shares in VA, with HNA keeping a toehold (for a long term future return to VA ownership? Prestige? Maintaining links and rights ?). I can also see the other Chinese shareholder buying out HNA. I can't however see Singapore Airlines increasing its stake at the moment., nor selling out.
Under Delta's stewardship, VA would become an Australian/NZ feeder to Delta's global network. Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne-LAX might be joined by Sydney-Seattle. Perhaps even something a bit radical like Melbourne-Christchurch-LAX or Brisbane-Auckland-LAX. A strengthening of the Melbourne/Sydney and possibly Brisbane-Hong Kong routes to connect with Virgin Atlantic's LHR flights would allow a bigger share of the kangaroo route for 'Team Delta'. Of course such developments would require more wide bodies for VA, but I reckon a fleet of about 16 A330neos or Dreamliners to replace the 777s and A330ceos would do the trick : the question is, where does the money come from for such a fleet?
Cheers
Bunumuring

VapourTrails

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am

Has anyone had any experiences using the Qantas customer service app chat? I’ve used it twice now for schedule changes to my booked flights. I’ve found it to be very efficient. I can multi-task while having an ongoing SMS conversation, the first which was the best part of an hour!

There is a link made available to start it via your app booking in which the flight change alert is initially sent out. It can be started at your preferred time. Well I started the chat in the evening and got assistance immediately. It was reliable and I got my issues sorted, although I will say that re-routing me through another city was not on my agenda and I was faced with no choice in the end, but I appreciate the time and attention to detail that was given.

My flights were updated straight away and there was no additional financial cost/s involved, in my cases anyway.

It sure beats waiting or talking on the phone. I much prefer this method, based on these experiences.

bunumuring

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am

Hey VapourTrails,
To contrast with your experience, I had to completely change the travel plans of three family members when Qantas changed the departure time of the second leg of a journey from Sydney. The earlier departure time of the flight made a connection impossible with the first leg arriving under the minimum connection time possible.
One phone call to Qantas when the email came through explaining the necessary changes was all it took. The phone call lasted maybe 20 minutes and was followed up by a confirmation email immediately afterwards. In all, a total of four flights for each of the three passengers were changed, at absolutely no expense to me.
I was impressed with the ease of the change and the QF staffer was so polite and apologetic.
Cheers
Bunumuring

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am

(Granted this was from a couple years ago) when I have to ring QF for a flight cancellation, it took no more than 10 minutes to get resolved and also a confirmation email came straight away. Thought that was much quicker than the normal call which can take ages - maybe they have specific group of staffs put aside to deal with these sort of flight disruptions?

Michael

Ryanair01

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am

I find it hard to see the boys in Atlanta buying into VA.

I just don't think Australia has much strategic importance to them. With only one daily flight they'd drop SYD like a stone if there's a downturn (like Hong Kong which they're totally withdrawing from). It's very different to VS, NYC and LON are the world's two biggest aviation markets. VS was all about expanding DL's huge NYC business with a high frequency JFK-LHR schedule, which has gone from 3 per day to a combined every 30 minutes at peak times.

Whatever way you cut it, VA just can't offer that level of benefit to DL or anything close.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:28 am

Velocity7 wrote:
It wasn't good was it! I had a similar 'long' experience on a BA 747 in 1983 after that excruciating taxi: BNE-SYD-SIN-KUL-AUH-LHR, same aircraft all the way through. I can't recall if it was the normal scheduled route but I think it was about 37 hours. How times have changed! :D

While QF maintained a constant MEL-SYD-SIN-BAH-LHR routing for most of the kangaroo route hops ex SYD, the BA routes changed every 6 months- I'm sure it must have been a headache for the schedulers and route planners to figure out. What I remember of the 80's routings:
BA 009 (742) LHR-BOM-PER-AKL (2-3x/week and usually always full)
BA 011 (741) LHR-MCT or AUH (but occasionally BAH)-SIN-SYD-MEL (x4) or BNE (x3). However on Fridays the routing involved SIN-BWN-SYD-MEL. Then ADL came into the equation (usually a MEL tag).

Other weird variations were LHR-AUH-KUL-PER-SYD, LHR-BKK-SYD-BNE-AKL (742), LHR-MCT-SIN-ADL-MEL

VapourTrails

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:28 am

Bunumuring, that’s an interesting comparison. The fact that both are available makes it even better to be able to choose which one the customer prefers.

~

Further to my mention, the one I was referring to relates to Chat Bot technology. Source below talks about its initial launch. As said, the one I used was linked to the app, nothing to do with Facebook though. Actually that would have made me much more hesitant or even refuse to participate in it. The app also gives real time gate changes (now) which is very handy for transiting and connecting onto flights. The last connection I had I was getting push notifications and confirmations and late gate changes aplenty. Very useful. I get that an innovation like that also greatly helps in getting all pax to the gate on time for an on-time departure too!

Source: https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... spiration/
Last edited by VapourTrails on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
I find it hard to see the boys in Atlanta buying into VA.

I just don't think Australia has much strategic importance to them. With only one daily flight they'd drop SYD like a stone if there's a downturn (like Hong Kong which they're totally withdrawing from). It's very different to VS, NYC and LON are the world's two biggest aviation markets. VS was all about expanding DL's huge NYC business with a high frequency JFK-LHR schedule, which has gone from 3 per day to a combined every 30 minutes at peak times.

Whatever way you cut it, VA just can't offer that level of benefit to DL or anything close.

+1 I was beginning to think I was the only one here not buying the DL equity stake in VA argument. My thoughts are if VA was more committed to this market they would have upped their presence here already, possibly taking over some of the LAX-BNE flying to enable VA to run LAX-MEL daily. In the current scenario, DL has very little risk while VA is more exposed.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 am

eamondzhang wrote:
(Granted this was from a couple years ago) when I have to ring QF for a flight cancellation, it took no more than 10 minutes to get resolved and also a confirmation email came straight away. Thought that was much quicker than the normal call which can take ages - maybe they have specific group of staffs put aside to deal with these sort of flight disruptions?

Michael

When I call QF Res my calls are always answered in 2 minutes max. The trick is to know what number to call and how the calls are routed (hint: use Skype).

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am

SQ215/216 has not been operated by the 787-10 the past 2 nights, last it was operated by a 772 tonight by a non-ER 773

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Qantas have what is probably the most passenger friendly schedule change policy of any airline, anywhere in the world. Without oversimplifying things too much the policy is we will rebook you onto whatever you want, so long as it is within the original class of service. No need to mesh RBDs, no need to stick to original routing/transit points, no need to get authorisation from someone’s superior. Other airlines are fairly flexible but with Qantas it is no questions asked, just do it. As a travel agent it is worth it’s weight gold as I can change an affected customers flights in 30 seconds, whereas with most airlines if we are changing the flights beyond the reaccomodated TK sectors inserted by the carrier then that inevitably means calling the airline.

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
SQ215/216 has not been operated by the 787-10 the past 2 nights, last it was operated by a 772 tonight by a non-ER 773

Apparently 9V-SCA hasn't flown for days and guess that might be somewhat related since SQ 787-10 fleet is pretty stretched at the moment.

Michael

XAM2175

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:30 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Qantas have what is probably the most passenger friendly schedule change policy of any airline, anywhere in the world.

I almost feel now like I've missed out by not needing to use it haha. Only change I've ever needed to make was a simple time change that the website allowed in seconds.

(Y flight CBR-MEL on a Friday, 1000 dep changed to 1300 so I'm glad it was on the company's coin :twisted: went from a DH8D to a B712 though so I'd probably have paid myself anyway to be honest)

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Qantas marks 47 years since first delivery of the 747

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... tas-fleet/

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

ADL has begun terminal expansion works

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... ion-works/

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 pm

A Qantas first officer has been incapacitated after a 733F lost cabin pressure

https://www.airlive.net/breaking-qantas ... pacitated/

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

For those who collect model aircraft, GeminiJets now has the A380 in the latest QF colours

https://twitter.com/GeminiJets/status/1 ... 8670691328

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 pm

VA flights soon to be available to be paid by Zippay

https://thewest.com.au/news/aviation/vi ... b88930111z

RyanairGuru

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 pm

qf789 wrote:

So thats why there was a QantasFreight/StarTrack 733F at CBR yesterday. I did wonder why it was there.

csturdiv

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Last night I flew SYD-PER on QF583. We stayed pretty low due to headwinds, FL260 all the way across. Upon landing we were stuck on the plane for about 30 minutes as they could not get the jetbridge to connect. Eventually they got stairs and we used that. Was different exiting an A333 from stairs snd onto the tarmac. Gave me a chance to see how big the plane is up that close. The good thing, no wait for the luggage!

On my flight was that Honey Badger guy, sitting on the other side of the business class cabin. Didn't seem all that big to be a rugby player, tall but not big like what i think of as a rugby player.

cougar15

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf789 wrote:

So thats why there was a QantasFreight/StarTrack 733F at CBR yesterday. I did wonder why it was there.

Sounds rather nasty this, I hope the F/O is okay. Would guess that he had 02 supply issues? Wonder why the Captain only went down to 20K Ft initially?

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bc6e5ac&opt=0

Qf648

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:32 am

csturdiv wrote:
Last night I flew SYD-PER on QF583. We stayed pretty low due to headwinds, FL260 all the way across. Upon landing we were stuck on the plane for about 30 minutes as they could not get the jetbridge to connect. Eventually they got stairs and we used that. Was different exiting an A333 from stairs snd onto the tarmac. Gave me a chance to see how big the plane is up that close. The good thing, no wait for the luggage!

On my flight was that Honey Badger guy, sitting on the other side of the business class cabin. Didn't seem all that big to be a rugby player, tall but not big like what i think of as a rugby player.

You were lucky. QF1867 on the 29th July had to stop in Kal for juice due to strong headwinds adl-per. 5 hours for what is normally a 3:20 flight.

Awesome flight that.

getluv

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:47 am

qf789 wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't also roll this out to Tiger as well. Jetstar have had Afterpay (which is way bigger than Zippay) for nearly a year now.

jupiter2

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56 am

csturdiv wrote:

Nick may not be that big, but there is a reason he got the "Honey Badger" nickname.

MooLor

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:32 am

csturdiv wrote:

He played on the wing or in the centres, where a bit of speed is required. You may be thinking of the forwards, those big lumbering neanderthal knuckle-dragging types. ;)

He's also an ex-Rugby player isn't he? May have trimmed down a bit. Would need a bit of stamina in that 'bachelor' house though I'll bet - quite demanding those TV filming schedules. :)

D7A330

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 am

getluv wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't also roll this out to Tiger as well. Jetstar have had Afterpay (which is way bigger than Zippay) for nearly a year now.

Tigerair already have ZipPay I believe.

https://www.finder.com.au/tigerair-team ... ghts%3famp

ZuluAlpha

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am

With the talk of QF schedule changes, and the ease of them, QF is spending significant manpower and finances to try and improve the product further. They are about to introduce a new Amadeus platform where it will change multiple pax with multiple connections in a single transaction for delays and disrupts (not schedule changes)

eta unknown

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am

Air Asia complaining they want to restart ADL, but airport charges are too high and they want a deal...

Obzerva

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:18 am

ZuluAlpha wrote:
With the talk of QF schedule changes, and the ease of them, QF is spending significant manpower and finances to try and improve the product further. They are about to introduce a new Amadeus platform where it will change multiple pax with multiple connections in a single transaction for delays and disrupts (not schedule changes)

The ease or changing a flight doesn’t really help when you have a 36 hour delay in MNL currently but yes bigger picture, can’t be a bad thing.

planemanofnz

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 am

eta unknown wrote:
Air Asia complaining they want to restart ADL, but airport charges are too high and they want a deal...

IMO, an ADL incentive would be more likely for a new market, like Japan or the US. I can't see ADL doing a deal with D7 - MH already flies ADL - KUL, and it would only trigger MH and other Asian carriers to seek incentives too, with threats of dropping ADL if demands aren't met.

Separately, I wonder if the QF Group would ever re-start ADL - SIN, to connect to SIN - LHR, as well as 3K's SIN hub? A 321NEO could do it (on JQ), but for QF metal, a 330 would be needed, and I don't think there are many of those spare. Perhaps EK could add an ADL - SIN sector?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:42 am

BI has ruled out a return to BNE - sad to hear.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/royal-bruneis ... -the-plan/.

Cheers,

C.

VapourTrails

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 am

ZuluAlpha wrote:
With the talk of QF schedule changes, and the ease of them, QF is spending significant manpower and finances to try and improve the product further. They are about to introduce a new Amadeus platform where it will change multiple pax with multiple connections in a single transaction for delays and disrupts (not schedule changes).

Thank you. That is an interesting development. Well, it’s happened again! This is the third, or fourth time my booking has to be altered. Does not usually happen to me. The Qantas Concierge Chat Bot was not an option this time for whatever reason, and there is currently a long wait via phone. Are the major altering schedules in times and connections due to the pilot shortage I wonder.. usually I have minor five or ten minutes changes which I just click to accept, and even then not that often.

I also tried this week to check some price comparisons for my next booking, looking at VA - and their online booking system was down. Was a few days ago. I still lament I didn’t get another chance to fly on their E190 again. :worried:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos