Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Loftleiðir Icelandic will charter two B 757 to Hapag Lloyd Cruises

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm

According to this press release https://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/20 ... xusferdir/ :

(translated with Google translator, so no guarantiee):

Loftleiðir Icelandic, a subsidiary of Icelandair Group, has agreed with German shipping company Hapaq Lloyd Cruises for charter flights with high-quality travel groups, according to a press release. The flight begins at the beginning of next year and is the three-year agreement.

Recently Loftleidir has joined the National Geographic Partners / Global Adrenaline travel agency for similar trips, and its two Boeing 757 engines are expected to travel in this way in the next few years.

Hapaq Lloyd is primarily known as a shipping company, which operates 180 cargo ships. In addition, it is known to operate 5 large passenger ships and the other part of Hapaq Lloyd also offers luxury flights like those agreed with Loftleidir.

During the trip, emphasis is placed on comfort, catering and service. "This is a great acknowledgment for Loftleidir and the Icelandair Group staff. Special fixtures are placed in the machines to handle the tours, and in this trip for Hapaq Lloyd there are seats that can be folded down and turned into comfortable beds. Our pilots and culinary experts have received the highest rating for passengers this time, "said Árni Hermannsson, managing director of Loftleidir Icelandic.

The Boeing 757 engine will be specially equipped for only 50 passengers, who use the machine as a kind of private jet while on the road trip. Each trip takes an average of two to three weeks and is 5-7 destinations wide and wide throughout the world. The aircraft is waiting at the airport at a busy place while passengers stay there and take a closer look.

As a rule, 13 crew members will be on each trip, 3 pilots, 7 flight attendants / thions, 2 culinary experts and 1 airplane. It is estimated that over 20 trips will take place during the contract period.

In the last years and just currently TF-FIW did this Job Always twice or thrice a year for Abercrombie & Kent and now for Captains Choice. So it will be interesting to see which two more B 757 of the current Icelandair fleet will be phased out for these luxury flights….
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

trijetsonly

Re: Loftleiðir Icelandic will charter two B 757 to Hapag Lloyd Cruises

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 am

Interesting that they don't take their own 737 D-AHLK anymore for that job. Or ist the 757 an addition to the 737?

It's hard to believe that they need the additional capacity due to demand, considering the prices for those tours that are usually in the range of ~50.000€ per person.
But it seems like there is a market and it's increasing.

STT757

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 am

In the early '90s Hapag Lloyd used to fly to EWR, I don't know if it was scheduled or a regularly scheduled charter. But they were there, I remember them. Where did they fly and what type of equipment did they operate.

JetBuddy

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

Great deal. Probably lucrative for Icelandair.

I remember flying in a Hapag-Lloyd MD-80 from PMI to FBU during very early 90s myself. The travel agency's charter plane had gone tech, and Hapag-Lloyd was substituting..

debonair

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am

trijetsonly wrote:
Interesting that they don't take their own 737 D-AHLK anymore for that job.

They haven't used their B737 D-AHLK for several years now - claiming too expensive reconfiguration costs. The service in the last years was done by a charted A319 CS-TFU operated AFAIK by PrivatAir lsd. from White.

There are strong rumours, that PrivatAir is under bankruptcy protections - so a change of operator makes sense!

JetBuddy wrote:
Great deal. Probably lucrative for Icelandair.

I remember flying in a Hapag-Lloyd MD-80 from PMI to FBU during very early 90s myself. The travel agency's charter plane had gone tech, and Hapag-Lloyd was substituting..

Hapag-Lloyd NEVER operated MD80's in the '90s - only the Bobby and A310...

GCT64

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:39 am

debonair wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

My guess is that he/she means Aero Lloyd not Hapag-Lloyd:

easy to get your Lloyds mixed up ;-)

JetBuddy

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:21 pm

GCT64 wrote:
debonair wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

My guess is that he/she means Aero Lloyd not Hapag-Lloyd:

easy to get your Lloyds mixed up ;-)

Yes! Sorry it was probably Aero Lloyd. The colors and the name was so similar. :)

trijetsonly

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm

debonair wrote:
trijetsonly wrote:
Interesting that they don't take their own 737 D-AHLK anymore for that job.

They haven't used their B737 D-AHLK for several years now - claiming too expensive reconfiguration costs. The service in the last years was done by a charted A319 CS-TFU operated AFAIK by PrivatAir lsd. from White.

There are strong rumours, that PrivatAir is under bankruptcy protections - so a change of operator makes sense!

You are right, I completely forgot about that A319 ACJ in recent years.

The rumours about PrivatAir are geeting louder and louder. This move with Loftleiðir Icelandic shows it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos