Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Will F9 or WN ever add CLT-LAS nonstop service?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Greater Charlotte is currently the largest U.S. metropolitan area that doesn't have nonstop service to LAS on any LCC's or ULCC's. AA is currently the only carrier to serve CLT nonstop from LAS, and there is also no nonstop service to LAS from JQF/USA. The population of the Charlotte metropolitan area is over 2.5 million people, and the Charlotte metropolitan area is big enough to support nonstop service to LAS on more than just AA.

There is probably room for either F9 or WN to add CLT-LAS nonstop service (at least if G4 doesn't add USA-LAS nonstop service). WN would also be able to more easily connect passengers to California destinations from CLT (and vice versa) if it added CLT-LAS nonstop service.

Which of the following is most likely: F9 adding CLT-LAS nonstop service, WN adding CLT-LAS nonstop service, or G4 adding USA-LAS nonstop service?

A320NK

Re: Will F9 or WN ever add CLT-LAS nonstop service?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm

NK?

Boof02671

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 pm

LAS is a leisure market, no one is stopping anyone from adding a LAS
flight. Apparently other airlines don’t think they can make money on it.

CLT is more of a connecting hub vs OD passengers.

jplatts
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:09 pm

A320NK wrote:
NK?

I agree that NK could add CLT-LAS nonstop service if NK starts service out of CLT, but WN and F9 are both already at CLT whereas NK doesn't currently serve CLT.

LotsaRunway

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't see WN doing it anytime soon. Fuel prices are up a bit and WN has already been shy about adding many long-hauls domestically. There are many long-haul dots that have the O&D in raw numbers but no airline serves nonstop. In the case of CLT-LAS, the route seems to be efficiently served by either AA (nonstop) or by connections. If WN added the nonstop, they could cannibalize one of their own other flights that need the passengers to make those shorter flights profitable.

TWA772LR

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:14 pm

I'd say it's more up Frontiers ally for 3x weekly. But WN has a huge connecting hub in Vegas for pretty much all of the West Coast. I'd say it's a wash.

SumChristianus

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 pm

If WN adds red-eyes, maybe....would be more likely than AA hub to hub CLT-PHX, but somehow WN doesn't seem that interested in CLT.
CLT-MCO isn't even served, so to me F9 "temporarily" running the route seems most likely (likely as a redeye)
Similiar discussion: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383747

Boof02671

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Didn’t WN once fly CKT-MCO then discontinue it?

F9LASDEN

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:25 pm

I've wondered about this route as well, and IMO I think F9 would be the most likely to add it primarily based on the network differences between F9 and WN at CLT. I believe that WN has several other routes that they would add out of CLT before they considered LAS-CLT. I highly doubt LAS-CLT would come before LAS-DEN at the very least, given that they serve very few Eastern U.S. markets out of LAS that aren't served out of DEN (I believe BUF is the only one). CLT-Florida and CLT-ATL seem like other markets I would think they would start before LAS-CLT.
F9, on the other hand, has recently added several routes out of LAS to the Eastern U.S., and they seem to be doing well at CLT (adding new routes, extending DEN to year-round last winter, and adding frequencies to MCO in their most recent schedule extension), so between F9 and WN, I’d think F9 is more likely to add it, likely starting at 3-4x weekly on an A320.

Janj

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Yep, AirTran used to operate MCO and Southwest ended it. JetBlue also operated FLL for some years then canceled it.

phluser

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Janj wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Yep, AirTran used to operate MCO and Southwest ended it. JetBlue also operated FLL for some years then canceled it.

To be clear, WN tried CLT-MCO on it's own metal before ending it.

JetBlueCLT

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
If WN adds red-eyes, maybe....would be more likely than AA hub to hub CLT-PHX, but somehow WN doesn't seem that interested in CLT.
CLT-MCO isn't even served, so to me F9 "temporarily" running the route seems most likely (likely as a redeye)
Similiar discussion: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383747

I wouldn’t say WN “isn’t interested in CLT. They added a 3rd flight to BWI, a 2nd BNA flight and a 3rd MDW flight starting later this year.

WN only had access to 1 gate until a few days ago. They now occupy gates A24 and A26. So I don’t think it’s fair to say they aren’t interested. It’s more of a situation where they couldn’t keep adding flights due to the fact WN only had 1 gate.

JetBlueCLT

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:44 pm

I think you’ll see CLT-DEN on WN before anything. I rather see LAS, but I don’t think that will happen first.

OneAA

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 am

CLT has rather average O&D numbers. It’s strength is connecting kettles from Lynchburg to Augusta.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 am

OneAA wrote:
CLT has rather average O&D numbers.

It does, but with 5x AA 321s on CLT-LAS there's got to be decent O&D - nevermind possible WN connections beyond LAS.

jplatts
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 am

F9LASDEN wrote:
I've wondered about this route as well, and IMO I think F9 would be the most likely to add it primarily based on the network differences between F9 and WN at CLT. I believe that WN has several other routes that they would add out of CLT before they considered LAS-CLT. I highly doubt LAS-CLT would come before LAS-DEN at the very least, given that they serve very few Eastern U.S. markets out of LAS that aren't served out of DEN (I believe BUF is the only one). CLT-Florida and CLT-ATL seem like other markets I would think they would start before LAS-CLT.
F9, on the other hand, has recently added several routes out of LAS to the Eastern U.S., and they seem to be doing well at CLT (adding new routes, extending DEN to year-round last winter, and adding frequencies to MCO in their most recent schedule extension), so between F9 and WN, I’d think F9 is more likely to add it, likely starting at 3-4x weekly on an A320.

F9 also already has nonstop service to LAS from East Coast destinations that are farther from LAS than CLT is, including MCO, RDU, TPA, and IAD. F9 is also starting nonstop service to additional East Coast destinations that are farther from LAS than CLT is later this year, including LAS-RSW, LAS-JAX, and LAS-ORF.

I agree that F9 adding CLT-LAS nonstop service might happen since CLT is located in the largest U.S. metropolitan area that doesn't have nonstop service to LAS on any LCC's or ULCC's, since there are other East Coast markets that already have nonstop service to LAS on F9 or NK, and since F9 is going to be starting nonstop service LAS from additional East Coast destinations later this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos