Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hiflyeras

Re: OAG Changes 7/15/2018:AA Adds MIA-BUF/GRR/HOU/OMA/PVD/RSW;AM Drops ATL-MID;CA Drops SJC-PVG

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:01 am

hoya wrote:
If AS is making cutbacks in some key Hawaii markets, how does WN think it will fare? Sure, it'll have more connecting traffic in SJC and OAK, but if AS is having trouble, this won't be easy for WN (if and when they finally get ETOPS approval).

Much ado about nothing I believe....mid-Jan thru early March are the slowest time of the year, no matter what market. Only thing saving that period from a total washout are MLK weekend and President's day weekend/mid-winter break. Come March I'd expect to see a return to normal in all the Hawaii markets.

clrd4t8koff

Re: OAG Changes 7/15/2018:AA Adds MIA-BUF/GRR/HOU/OMA/PVD/RSW;AM Drops ATL-MID;CA Drops SJC-PVG

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 am

jagraham wrote:
Thanks again for all this great work Enilria. DL is reducing flights to LHR from BOS and DTW, but LHR is the one airport I can't see a slot sitting empty. Are there any DL adds to LHR somewhere that I missed?

DL is reducing service by 1 flight per week. Hardy slot sitting empty.

bagoldex

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 am

phxtravelboy wrote:
So GRR, PVD, and BUF get nonstop service to MIA yet AA REFUSES to add MKE. Their service from MKE is really awful. They don't fly to the MIA or DCA hubs where as they fly to both of those hubs from many other cities that are smaller. They also refuse to fly to LAX from MKE. I really do not understand AA's philosophy at all.

Their philosophy is simple and universal in business.
That is to utilize their limited resources in the most efficient and lucrative manner possible.

phluser

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 am

phxtravelboy wrote:
So GRR, PVD, and BUF get nonstop service to MIA yet AA REFUSES to add MKE. Their service from MKE is really awful. They don't fly to the MIA or DCA hubs where as they fly to both of those hubs from many other cities that are smaller. They also refuse to fly to LAX from MKE. I really do not understand AA's philosophy at all.

I believe AA and UA would rather certain airports nearby to its hubs not exist outright. But since MKE exists and has a local market unique from ORD, it’s served at a bare minimum AA needs but not too much more. DCA isn’t served because WN depresses the fares.

YellowJ

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 am

TropicalSky wrote:
AA adding Lga-Nas seems odd with both Delta & Jetblue in the market plus Delta recently upgrade to 2x daily to match JetBlue out of JFK......I don't see AA sticking it out long...

They've flown it before. Seems to be Saturday only during the winter season. Should have no problem filling it with snowbirds.

ericm2031

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 am

phxtravelboy wrote:

Refuses is a very strong word. PHX, DFW, CLT, ORD, PHL is still substantial. AA has very limited resources in LAX and has much higher priorities than MKE. WN is dominant in MKE which limits how much market is left for AA (or other carriers) to add.

Not sure why you make it sound like AA is out of their minds for their decisions on MKE when it is perfectly reasonable.

jagraham

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:11 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
jagraham wrote:
Thanks again for all this great work Enilria. DL is reducing flights to LHR from BOS and DTW, but LHR is the one airport I can't see a slot sitting empty. Are there any DL adds to LHR somewhere that I missed?

DL is reducing service by 1 flight per week. Hardy slot sitting empty.

BOS looks like it's losing 1 flight per week. But DTW looks like a 2nd flight running 5 to 6 times per week is reduced to once per week. Almost a whole slot overall, although divided between 2 US destinations.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 am

I think Air China's retreat from the SJC-PVG market is quite a blow to SJC, since SJC prided itself on obtaining overseas service. When I was there last time, the passenger count looked pretty dismal...kind of like BA's passenger count at OAK. Maybe HNA might try it and do a better job at it.

chepos

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:44 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:

They don’t see the value in the market, what traffic is there really to MIA and connections? Many upper midwestemers head to Mexico on holiday (DFW takes care of that ) and the Caribbean traffic (mostly to Jamaica and the DR,all inclusive types) can be handled via ORD/DFW/CLT. Been to MKE many times, it is a small city eclipsed by Chicago, they seem to have good amount of air service for its size.

phxtravelboy

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

Refuses is a very strong word. PHX, DFW, CLT, ORD, PHL is still substantial. AA has very limited resources in LAX and has much higher priorities than MKE. WN is dominant in MKE which limits how much market is left for AA (or other carriers) to add.

Not sure why you make it sound like AA is out of their minds for their decisions on MKE when it is perfectly reasonable.

AA's service from MKE is basically the absolute bare minimum. CLT/PHL are nothing but regional jets whereas other similiar cities such as MCI or IND have mainline service; ORD is only flown 4 times per day on 50 seat CRJs versus UA who has roughly 10 per day and even flies mainline at times. From the AA DCA hub they serve every single top 50 market from DCA nonstop except for MKE and HOU. If GRR, SDF, OMA can all support service to MIA surely MKE, a much larger market, can as well.

phxtravelboy

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm

chepos wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

They don’t see the value in the market, what traffic is there really to MIA and connections? Many upper midwestemers head to Mexico on holiday (DFW takes care of that ) and the Caribbean traffic (mostly to Jamaica and the DR,all inclusive types) can be handled via ORD/DFW/CLT. Been to MKE many times, it is a small city eclipsed by Chicago, they seem to have good amount of air service for its size.

Well using your argument AA shouldn't fly to any city then from MIA that also has service to the DFW/CLT/ORD hubs. What a dumb statement. The MIA hub offers many more connection opportunities than the other hubs do. Again, AA believes GRR can support MIA service but MKE can't? Simply amazing. MKE metro is larger than the metros of GRR/BUF/PVD/SDF among others, that all have nonstop service to MIA. MKE isn't a small city; of course it's smaller than the 3rd largest metro area in the country 80 miles down the road, but it's not a small city as you call it.

bagoldex

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:
chepos wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

Well using your argument AA shouldn't fly to any city then from MIA that also has service to the DFW/CLT/ORD hubs. What a dumb statement. The MIA hub offers many more connection opportunities than the other hubs do. Again, AA believes GRR can support MIA service but MKE can't? Simply amazing. MKE metro is larger than the metros of GRR/BUF/PVD/SDF among others, that all have nonstop service to MIA. MKE isn't a small city; of course it's smaller than the 3rd largest metro area in the country 80 miles down the road, but it's not a small city as you call it.

Population alone isn't a guarantee of a route's success.

AirFiero

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think Air China's retreat from the SJC-PVG market is quite a blow to SJC, since SJC prided itself on obtaining overseas service. When I was there last time, the passenger count looked pretty dismal...kind of like BA's passenger count at OAK. Maybe HNA might try it and do a better job at it.

Yes, this is very disappointing. Isn’t Shanghai a major tech center? And how many nonstops are there from SFO? We couldn’t pull enough passengers for 3 day a week flights?

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm

AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Yes, this is very disappointing. Isn’t Shanghai a major tech center? And how many nonstops are there from SFO? We couldn’t pull enough passengers for 3 day a week flights?

My observation...and it was for one Saturday in May...that the HNA crowd was much larger than that of Air China.

legacyins

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 pm

AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

The writing on the wall was with this flight. They started service with 5 weekly and then 3 weekly and finally 2 weekly.

BTW: SFO has 3 daily SFO-PVG flights .

chepos

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:
chepos wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

Nothing wrong with a city being small, no need to get bent out of shape. I have been to MKE, have friends there, the city has its charm. Obviously calling MKE small has struck a nerve with you.

F27500

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:

Grand Rapids instead of Milwaukee .. seriously ??

AirFiero

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:28 pm

legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

The writing on the wall was with this flight. They started service with 5 weekly and then 3 weekly and finally 2 weekly.

Exactly. THREE daily flights, but all those people are going to/from SFO, no business people going to the South Bay and Silicon Valley? That’s difficult to believe.

legacyins

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 pm

AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Exactly. THREE daily flights, but all those people are going to/from SFO, no business people going to the South Bay and Silicon Valley? That’s difficult to believe.

Of course there are people on the SFO flight going to various parts of the Bay Area. Why are they not taking the CA flight out of SJC? No idea but I can guess there are United fans and scheduling comes into play somewhat. For the past year, CA has been advertising on the radio and print media regarding their SJC flight. I am sure their sales department was out trying to get contracts from various companies. In the end , it did not work out.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

AA's service from MKE is basically the absolute bare minimum. CLT/PHL are nothing but regional jets whereas other similiar cities such as MCI or IND have mainline service; ORD is only flown 4 times per day on 50 seat CRJs versus UA who has roughly 10 per day and even flies mainline at times. From the AA DCA hub they serve every single top 50 market from DCA nonstop except for MKE and HOU. If GRR, SDF, OMA can all support service to MIA surely MKE, a much larger market, can as well.

I can infer AA's MKE strategy: Let them drive to ORD. It's not a strategy without merits.

All the airports you list with 'better' AA service aren't proximate to AA hubs. Don't compare MKE to GRR and SDF - compare it to TUS or PBI.

ucdtim17

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 pm

legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:

Of course there are people on the SFO flight going to various parts of the Bay Area. Why are they not taking the CA flight out of SJC? No idea but I can guess there are United fans and scheduling comes into play somewhat. For the past year, CA has been advertising on the radio and print media regarding their SJC flight. I am sure their sales department was out trying to get contracts from various companies. In the end , it did not work out.

Same story for any route out of OAK/SJC that they share with SFO. SFO has * San Francisco * name recognition (despite not actually being in or near the city) + virtuous cycle of having more service to begin with. People fly there because that's where the flights are and airlines add flights there because that's where the business is.

BayAreaFan0

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:31 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SFO has * San Francisco * name recognition (despite not actually being in or near the city.

What? SFO is owned and policed by the City and County of San Francisco and has a San Francisco address although it is located in San Mateo County. The airport if 5.9 miles from the city border. How is that not "near the city"?!?

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm

jagraham wrote:

:)

With VS they have a lot more ability to cover slots.
MIflyer12 wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

I can infer AA's MKE strategy: Let them drive to ORD. It's not a strategy without merits.

All the airports you list with 'better' AA service aren't proximate to AA hubs. Don't compare MKE to GRR and SDF - compare it to TUS or PBI.

So, on the one hand you have B6 which is a big believer of flying to all the airports near its "hubs" as a way to build mind-share with customers, but AA apparently believes despite being behind UA in ORD that it's not a good strategy to divide and conquer.

Here's the split on CHI by carrier from DB1B YE 1Q18

UA 7.858m pax; $1.771B revenue
AA 7.476m pax; $1.470B revenue
WN 6.494m pax; $0.814B revenue

It's interesting how close the pax are, and how far away the revenue is.

ucdtim17

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
SFO has * San Francisco * name recognition (despite not actually being in or near the city.

What? SFO is owned and policed by the City and County of San Francisco and has a San Francisco address although it is located in San Mateo County. The airport if 5.9 miles from the city border. How is that not "near the city"?!?

Most people aren’t going to the city border. It’s 15 miles to downtown, which is generally a 30+ minute trip car or train. It’s closer to the CBD than many airports and farther than others.

ucdtim17

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:50 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
BayAreaFan0 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Most people aren’t going to the city border. It’s 15 miles to downtown, which is generally a 30+ minute trip car or train. It’s closer to the CBD than many airports and farther than others.

Reconsidering - by airport standards (the standards we go by here) it is near the city. It is not in the city, as you note.

phluser

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm

enilria wrote:
So, on the one hand you have B6 which is a big believer of flying to all the airports near its "hubs" as a way to build mind-share with customers,

B6 also doesn't fly into MHT, ISP and MIA. Those are airports B6 likely wishes it could use an eraser (at least out of the minds of passengers who might be using WN or in the case of MIA - other carriers) :D

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm

phluser wrote:
enilria wrote:
So, on the one hand you have B6 which is a big believer of flying to all the airports near its "hubs" as a way to build mind-share with customers,

B6 also doesn't fly into MHT, ISP and MIA. Those are airports B6 likely wishes it could use an eraser (at least out of the minds of passengers who might be using WN or in the case of MIA - other carriers) :D

Or SFB, but they do have plenty the other way like EWR/HPN/SWF/DAB/PBI/ORH/PVD and given the size of the airline it is an unusually high amount of alternates.

tjwgrr

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:

Too close to their Chicago hub perhaps?

jagraham

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Enilria I agree that VS can help with slot coverage at LHR, but the report shows that VS shaved a hair off of 4 routes from LHR. And did not increase any.

hiflyeras

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Chinese conglomerate HNA (Hainan, etc) is having trouble due to cheap money drying up...their government is ending the days of cut-rate interest rates. Hainan has no money to take delivery of new a/c.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... us-delays/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bal-growth

AirFiero

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:34 pm

legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:

Are all three of those flights UA?

AirFiero

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:37 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Same story for any route out of OAK/SJC that they share with SFO. SFO has * San Francisco * name recognition (despite not actually being in or near the city) + virtuous cycle of having more service to begin with. People fly there because that's where the flights are and airlines add flights there because that's where the business is.

That isn’t where *all* the business is. Much of Silicon Valley is closer or equidistant to SJC. But the concentration of flights at SFO creates a kind of monopoly or circular market where there are more flights at SFO so we fly out of SFO, so airlines add more flights at SFO and more people fly out of SFO, so they add more flights....and on it goes. It’s difficult for a secondary airport like SJC to break into that strata.

PVD757

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:48 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:
chepos wrote:
phxtravelboy wrote:

As of the last official tally, PVD’s MSA is larger than MKE’s but only by a very small amount.

legacyins

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 pm

AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

No. 2 daily by UA and 1 daily from MU. Another reason these flights work is because of the connections. UA feeds these flights from throughout the Country and MU use AS and DL as their connection partners.

jetero

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:52 am

Has AA ever served an airport other than DFW from HOU?

DL, I know, served, CVG.

SurfandSnow

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 am

jetero wrote:

DL, I know, served, CVG.

Call me crazy, but I seem to recall AA doing AUS-HOU-LGA several years ago. Obviously HOU was a hassle-free yet necessary stop given the LGA perimeter restriction.

jetero

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
jetero wrote:

DL, I know, served, CVG.

Call me crazy, but I seem to recall AA doing AUS-HOU-LGA several years ago. Obviously HOU was a hassle-free yet necessary stop given the LGA perimeter restriction.

S&S, you are right! I’m embarrassed because I actually flew that route. AA served SAT-HOU-DCA and AUS-HOU-LGA when CO was flying HOU-IAH-LGA.

I don’t think they ever served a hub other than DFW, though.

KLMatSJC

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am

legacyins wrote:

It actually started as a 3 weekly flight and it just recently dropped to 2.

AirFiero

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:30 pm

legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:

No. 2 daily by UA and 1 daily from MU. Another reason these flights work is because of the connections. UA feeds these flights from throughout the Country and MU use AS and DL as their connection partners.

Maybe it was just flown by the wrong airline? AS has a focus city at SJC. If an airline could connect with AS, it could be marketed for connections.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Maybe it was just flown by the wrong airline? AS has a focus city at SJC. If an airline could connect with AS, it could be marketed for connections.

I’d like to see HU pick up SJC-PVG. Are they able to? How do the slots work?

AirFiero

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:

I’d like to see HU pick up SJC-PVG. Are they able to? How do the slots work?

At worst, HU could fly PVG 2x weekly and Beijing the other 5x.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 am

It is confirmed that CA has dropped SJC-PVG.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/17/ ... zon-adobe/

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:50 am

BTW, I'm anticipating an update to the format of this report next week that will add prior year departure comparison throughout.

AirFiero

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:43 am

enilria wrote:

From the article...

“The reduced number of aircraft available arising from the maintenance of its Dreamliner fleet” was the primary reason Air China offered for its abrupt cancellation of the service.

legacyins

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 am

AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

From the article...

“The reduced number of aircraft available arising from the maintenance of its Dreamliner fleet” was the primary reason Air China offered for its abrupt cancellation of the service.

I would not read too much into that. CA has ~30 A330-200 ( which are used in the SJC route 3-2 times per week) and 14 787s. They only need 1 aircraft for the SJC flight.

KBUF

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:02 am

Nice to (finally) see AA add BUF-MIA. Even if it is clearly in response to F9.

AirFiero

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:18 am

legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

From the article...

I would not read too much into that. CA has ~30 A330-200 ( which are used in the SJC route 3-2 times per week) and 14 787s. They only need 1 aircraft for the SJC flight.

I’m not. It’s a possibility. We know the LHR route is doing ok, but is getting sporadic service due to the 787 engine issues. Anyway, why wouldn’t they just say the load factor is the reason?

legacyins

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 am

AirFiero wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

From the article...

I’m not. It’s a possibility. We know the LHR route is doing ok, but is getting sporadic service due to the 787 engine issues. Anyway, why wouldn’t they just say the load factor is the reason?

The Chinese love to "save face". Use to live there.

compensateme

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 am

jagraham wrote:

I’m guessing AUS with the 359. :D

knope2001

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 am

enilria wrote:
BTW, I'm anticipating an update to the format of this report next week that will add prior year departure comparison throughout.

That would be a great enhancement! And it would be probably get rid of some of the whining, but then again you've probably learned that (especially with such a high-profile regular contribution like yours) whining is pretty much unavoidable. :-)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos