Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

D L X
Topic Author

KL807 TPE-MNL wrong taxiway - could not exit runway (6/10/2018)

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:34 pm

On June 10, 2018, KL807 operating TPE-MNL took a wrong turn onto a taxiway still under construction, causing this tense interaction between the aircraft and ATC:

youtu.be/2NxHOLYqsN8

Does anyone know more information? One commenter suggested the runway was closed for 6 hours as a result, as the aircraft, a 77W, was not able to clear its tail from the runway.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

devron

Re: KL807 wrong taxiway - could not exit runway (6/10/2018)

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm

thanks for sharing what will happen to the piliots?

32andBelow

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm

devron wrote:

Nothing probably. What do you think should happen?

Devilfish

Re: KL807 TPE-MNL wrong taxiway - could not exit runway (6/10/2018)

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 pm

The link does not work. Let's try this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... NxHOLYqsN8

Newbiepilot

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:37 pm

32andBelow wrote:
devron wrote:

Nothing probably. What do you think should happen?

I would expect them to be talking to their chief pilot about the incident. They will fill out a report and KLM management will likely do an investigation. They will check crew rest and duty time and prior history for the pilots. KLM management will likely talk to Manila airport about the event. For example was construction and taxiway closures on the charts, NOTAMs, ATIS, etc or did the crew only find out about it when in the ground and instructed to use E5. Were ground markings correct. This is what chief pilots and management pilots frequently do. All big airlines have issues where a pilot uses the wrong taxiway, turns incorrectly, misses a waypoint, etc.

From there the crew may face disciplinary or corrective action if there were other contributing factors such as getting more training. There also could be some letters put out to all the pilots advising of the situation in Manila. They may adjust the roster and duty time for this trip. It all depends on what the investigation concludes as contributing events.

Airlines with good safety cultures investigate incidents like this. Airlines without good safety cultures fire people for making mistakes. KLM is the first type. Fortunately Manila also had an alert controller!

MSJYOP28Apilot

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:14 pm

If KLM has anything similar to the ASAP programs that American carriers have, I imagine the crew will fill out their report and detail why the event happened. The airline will investigate it along with governing bodies in Holland and Philippines. I imagine as long as the incident was judged to be simply an honest mistake and not the result of deliberate action or gross negligence, they will be given no license or job sanctions and likely given re-training.

Kno

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 pm

I understand this was quite an inconvience but pilots are after all human. I would assume most commercial pilots make a mistake as small as turning on to a wrong taxi way at least once in their careers no?

I've seen planes go down the wrong taxi way and do u turns spotting etc every once in awhile.

QueenoftheSkies

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Kno wrote:
I understand this was quite an inconvience but pilots are after all human. I would assume most commercial pilots make a mistake as small as turning on to a wrong taxi way at least once in their careers no?

I've seen planes go down the wrong taxi way and do u turns spotting etc every once in awhile.

In such a high safety sensitive role the whole “pilots are human and make mistakes” is unacceptable. There have to be stern consequences for this happening.

Kno

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

In such a high safety sensitive role the whole “pilots are human and make mistakes” is unacceptable. There have to be stern consequences for this happening.

Ok, I'm not disagreeing, but small mistakes, they will and they do all the time.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

This is rediculous. No pilot with hundreds of thousands of dollars in training invested in them is going to be harassed for accidentally going down a wrong taxiway.

george77300

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 pm

32andBelow wrote:
QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

This is rediculous. No pilot with hundreds of thousands of dollars in training invested in them is going to be harassed for accidentally going down a wrong taxiway.

Agreed. A minor mistake with no damage or injuries or any major consequences will be investigated of course. To check the crew were aware on the works and it was in the Charts/notams/aria etc. However I’d imagine no sanctions for pilots.

As a couple of family pilots have said to me: “Flying the plane is the easy bit. Working out where to taxi and park is quite the opposite.” And how very true that is at major airports with sometimes as much as an hour I’ve seen taxiing around after or before landing.

bradyj23

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

LOL!!!! This is so completely asinine and ridiculous that I can only assume it's a joke.

DFWflightpath

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 am

are there any pics or news stories?

blandy62

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 am

Must have been a huge mess at MNL. I guess they managed to have limited operation on the second runways during time. I am just wondering why it took 6 hours to move the plane from that position?

Tkt96

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

That is the exact opposite of the safety culture at US airlines. We are all humans and make mistakes every single flight...lets debrief at the end and try to learn from the miatakes. If they are more serious you file an ASAP report to share with the FAA and company and help prevent others from making the same mistake...and to cover your ass.

carlokiii

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 am

blandy62 wrote:
Must have been a huge mess at MNL. I guess they managed to have limited operation on the second runways during time. I am just wondering why it took 6 hours to move the plane from that position?

Personal accounts from some airport personnel indicated that the aircraft was cleared off the runway roughly two hours after the 77W exited the wrong taxiway.

The nose-wheel sunk into the soft concrete, it wasn't just a simple tug and tow situation.

HB-IWC

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 am

blandy62 wrote:

There is no way that this could have been a 6-hour ordeal as the aircraft, PH-BVK, left Manila for Taipei 3 hours late and arrived in Amsterdam under 2 hours behind schedule.

qf789

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:30 am

Please discuss the topic and keep personal attacks out of the discussion

blandy62

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 am

HB-IWC wrote:
There is no way that this could have been a 6-hour ordeal as the aircraft, PH-BVK, left Manila for Taipei 3 hours late and arrived in Amsterdam under 2 hours behind schedule.

All right. was just asking because someone mentioned 6 hours...

blandy62

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 am

carlokiii wrote:
Personal accounts from some airport personnel indicated that the aircraft was cleared off the runway roughly two hours after the 77W exited the wrong taxiway.

The nose-wheel sunk into the soft concrete, it wasn't just a simple tug and tow situation.

I understand. So that's why the controller warned them about the pavement in the area

Virtual737

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 am

Tkt96 wrote:
That is the exact opposite of the safety culture at US airlines. We are all humans and make mistakes every single flight...

[sarcasm] Don't be so hard on yourself. You US guys get one right every now and again. Surely..... [/sarcasm]

Heinkel

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Kno wrote:

The rate of human error is usually one potentially fatal error every 1,000 working hours. For highly trained people (like pilots for example) 10,000 hours. These numbers are in use for railway safety systems since many decades.

That means, every 10,000 working hours a pilot makes an error, which can lead to a fatal crash. Most of the time nothing happens, because a second "system" kicks in: the FO, ATC or a machine. So that doesn't mean we have a fatal crash every 10,000 flight hours. But the errors with the potential of a fatal crash are there.

So indeed, humans make errrors and even highly trained people do so (to a lesser extent). Ask the safety engineer you trust.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos