Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Heinkel
Topic Author

Ryanair FR7312 lost cabin pressure and diverted to HHN

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

It is reported, that Ryanair flight FR7312 from Dublin to Zadar lost cabin pressure and diverted to Hahn (HHN).

Source BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44832235

Source German T-ONLINE: http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/panorama/id_84110740/ryanair-flieger-muss-in-frankfurt-hahn-notlanden-33-passagiere-in-klinik.html

It is reported, that 189 pax were on board and 33 had to go to hospital after landing.

Quote from BBC:

Flight FR7312 from Dublin to Zadar made an emergency landing in Frankfurt. (Editor's note: HHN to be more precise, not FRA)

The airline said oxygen masks were deployed and the crew carried out a "controlled descent".

The plane descended 8,000m (26,000ft) from 11,300m to 3,000m in seven minutes, according to Flight Radar.
Last edited by Heinkel on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BREECH

Re: Ryanair FR7312 lost cabin pressure and diverted to HHN

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pm

According to Michael O'Leary, Ryanair CEO, reducing air pressure will allow the company to save "significant amount of money". "You don't expect oxygen in the hospital to be free, so why should it be on an airplane?" Mr.O'Leary said at dinner, eating a panda steak off a palladium plate.

Seabear

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Dozens hurt as Ryanair flight loses cabin pressure - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44832235

"Passengers also criticised their treatment once they had landed, saying they had not been given enough food and drink and had been forced to sleep on a concrete basement floor or on camp beds."

SuseJ772

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Why is there blood? Is that normal?

kabq737

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:

Depends on the severity of the decompression is what I was taught in flight physiology class. We were told it only happens in more severe cases.

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:33 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:

Possibly a nosebleed from the pressure change.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:

Yes. Keep in mind the cabin gets freezing cold and the air has no moister in it.

Can also suffer from a pulmonary or arterial embolism, though unlikely in the mid 30's. More of a threat to bizjets in the mid 40's and above.

DocLightning

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Seabear wrote:
"Passengers also criticised their treatment once they had landed, saying they had not been given enough food and drink and had been forced to sleep on a concrete basement floor or on camp beds."

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

zakelwe

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I know Ryanair get bad press and I know they successfully work in a low cost sector, but ....

when things go pair shaped you do not want to be with them, as they have no real contingency plans.

I'd rather pay a bit more, call it insurance.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
You pay your money and you make your choices.

Monkeys, peanuts and LCC success. The eternal triangle

Bhoy

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

BREECH wrote:
According to Michael O'Leary, Ryanair CEO, reducing air pressure will allow the company to save "significant amount of money". "You don't expect oxygen in the hospital to be free, so why should it be on an airplane?" Mr.O'Leary said at dinner, eating a panda steak off a palladium plate.

You do expect it to be free in Hospitals in the UK...

afgeneral

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 pm

it's disgusting how they managed to sprinkle some smokers' hate in the article despite the event not being connected in any way

Galwayman

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Well done to the pilot and crew, good to hear everyone’s safe

aerolimani

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

There were some ruptured eardrums reported as well. That would really, really suck.

flyaustralian12

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:01 am

zakelwe wrote:
I know Ryanair get bad press and I know they successfully work in a low cost sector, but ....

when things go pair shaped you do not want to be with them, as they have no real contingency plans.

yet another media beat up. Many journos fly legacies airlines, either cos they are not paying, or they are flying free (in return for +ve coverage)

& what would any other airline do if there's no rooms anywhere nearby ?

flyaustralian12

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 am

aerolimani wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

There were some ruptured eardrums reported as well. That would really, really suck.
Every airline if they lose cabin pressure needs to descend fast.

I think the talk of medical issues, is exaggerated with the view to getting some sort of dodgy compensation.

RickNRoll

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:58 am

flyaustralian12 wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Every airline if they lose cabin pressure needs to descend fast.

I think the talk of medical issues, is exaggerated with the view to getting some sort of dodgy compensation.

That looked like real blood to me. In an emergency the rate of descent can be more extreme causing more injuries. Plenty of other similar events have occured without such injuries being reported. Ryan Air makes a healthy profit. They offer budget service for a budget price. That doesn't include sitting on the floor of the plane nor should it include sleeping on a concrete floor in an emergency.

dampfnudel

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:26 am

afgeneral wrote:
it's disgusting how they managed to sprinkle some smokers' hate in the article despite the event not being connected in any way

Both incidents involved rapid emergency descent and occurred only days apart. I doubt that there was any “smokers’ hate” involved here and you’re just pointing your personal frustration in the wrong direction.

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 am

Looks like Ryanair is saving money by phasing out cabin pressure. How is this airline still in business?

DarthLobster

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Looks like Ryanair is saving money by phasing out cabin pressure. How is this airline still in business?

Because cheap people exist in frightening quantities.

DarthLobster

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 am

afgeneral wrote:

There you go on that bandwagon again. Give it up. Anything that revolting that also causes cancer and tons of other problems deserves to be hated.

sevenair

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Because it carries 100 million people safetly, for a reasonable price on newish aircraft with good on time performance. It's a shame about this incident but let's remember the 2000+ other flights that day operated by Ryanair which experienced no issues like most of the other 364 days a year that Ryanair operate.

PanHAM

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 am

They landed at Hahn Airport, in the boonies nowhere near Frankfurt. Accommodating 189 passengers in Hotels requires some knowledge of the local handlig Agent, 3 or 4 busses for a 45 to 60 Minute journes to Mainz Hotels between Trier and Koblenz.
No Need to sleep on concrete flors, but then, the passengers haven't paid for that.

BREECH

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am

Bhoy wrote:
You do expect it to be free in Hospitals in the UK...

I do. And it is! At least until you-know-who kills the NHS.

FrmrKSEngr

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Frustrating hearing the US news reporting "The Ryanair plane plunged thousands of feet and suffered loss of cabin pressure". Not quite the right cause and effect pairing - Loss of cabin pressure then rapid decent - SOP.

Then passengers complaining that they were not being told what to do during the incident -Next time pay attention to the pre-flight briefing - "Pull the mask towards you, place it over your nose and mouth and continue to breath normally. The bag may not inflate but oxygen will continue to flow".

PanHAM

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:55 am

Ryanair as usual left the passengers alone, they eve had to pay the Hospital bill out of their pockets- Some got an offer to go by chartered bus to Zadar. That is the real scandal.

Heinkel
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

FrmrKSEngr wrote:
Then passengers complaining that they were not being told what to do during the incident -Next time pay attention to the pre-flight briefing - "Pull the mask towards you, place it over your nose and mouth and continue to breath normally. The bag may not inflate but oxygen will continue to flow".

1) Never ever heard the "The bag may not inflate..." part before.

2) What they really don't tell you during the safety briefing is, that it is highly recommended to do a decompression during the rapid decent (hold your nose and breathe against your ear drums). Most a-netters as aviation geeks and frequent flyers know this but on Ryanair I expect several pax, who doesn't know this.

CARST

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 am

Some people here are really dumb as hell...

This was a normal accident. It could have happened on every other airline and also has happened with many airlines including major network carriers. I'm usually only flying OneWorld airlines, and probably take Ryanair once a year tops and also I'm not associated with them, so I have no reason to defend them, but you armchair experts here on a.net blow everything with LCCs out of proportion. Ryanair is Europes largest airline, has a fabolous safety record and the pilots handled the incident according to their SOPs which are similar to most other airlines.

So just to point out other "loss of cabin pressure & rapid descend" incidents of major airlines:
- 2018, ANA: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ba6855e&opt=0
- 2017, British Airways: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a858c16&opt=0
- 2017, United: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ad5f83d&opt=0
- 2010, American Airlines: http://avherald.com/h?article=432c6391
- And many more if you search for terms like "cabin pressure" on AvHerald: http://avherald.com/h?search_term=cabin ... search.y=0

Regarding their handling of the stranded aircraft and letting the pax find their own accomodation: This is Ryanair. A ULCC. You know what you get when booking it and everyone knows how they are handling IROPS. That is why you get the massive, massive EU compensation according to EU261. All these pax probably get around 600€ or more. Try that anywhere else on the world.

And also that part about the hospital costs (as they landed in Germany): Every German hospital and doctor will treat emergency cases for free. They might ask for your insurance details afterwards to get the money back from your insurance. That is why you have it. As long as you can't get a verdict on Rynair for "physical injury resulting from negligence" (which is totally unlikely in such a case) there is no reason for Ryanair to pay you 1 Cent of your medical costs.

FrmrKSEngr wrote:
Frustrating hearing the US news reporting "The Ryanair plane plunged thousands of feet and suffered loss of cabin pressure". Not quite the right cause and effect pairing - Loss of cabin pressure then rapid decent - SOP.

:checkmark: Thank you…

Heinkel wrote:
Never ever heard the "The bag may not inflate..." part before.

Standard with most airlines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoQwZ9BQ9Q

PanHAM wrote:
Ryanair as usual left the passengers alone, they eve had to pay the Hospital bill out of their pockets- Some got an offer to go by chartered bus to Zadar. That is the real scandal.

You get what you pay for. Live with it.

flyaustralian12 wrote:
yet another media beat up. Many journos fly legacies airlines, either cos they are not paying, or they are flying free (in return for +ve coverage)& what would any other airline do if there's no rooms anywhere nearby ?

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: EXACTLY. And it's not only the journalists who fly free or very cheap on the major airlines, it's also the politicians. And that then tells you a lot who the network carriers do their political lobbying. Also both, journalists and politicians, usually get the highest status cards for free.

PanHAM

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm

The law may be dumb as hell but it does not make a difference between ULCC and Premium carruer. If a carrier signs a contract that carrier is obliged to fulfill that contract. That means carriage from A to B must be completed by air in due time and not by bus.
Mechanical faults can happen, even with the best maintenance but when passengers are injured the Airline has to pick up the medical costs. I am acutally against the 200/400/600 rule since the passengers pay that anyhow by an average surcharge added to the fare but on FR passengers pay that and don't get compensated.

All that is nothing new BTW, I had the pleasure in the late 60s to fly between Germany and Scotland severtimes per year and often missed the Connection at LHR. I always got the vouchers for bus, Hotel and melals.

Does not sound that dumb, does it?

BREECH

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

CARST wrote:

Yeah, man, horrible! I'm replying to a post from one of them right now. Sad. :-(

CARST wrote:
This was a normal accident.

Working for BP, aren't we?

FatCat

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm

And also that part about the hospital costs (as they landed in Germany): Every German hospital and doctor will treat emergency cases for free. They might ask for your insurance details afterwards to get the money back from your insurance. That is why you have it. As long as you can't get a verdict on Rynair for "physical injury resulting from negligence" (which is totally unlikely in such a case) there is no reason for Ryanair to pay you 1 Cent of your medical costs.

I was sick in Germany and stayed at the hospital for one week (in Hamburg, an infection), never paid nothing, but maybe because, as an european citizen, my sanitary card is valid as an insurance, paid by my Country.

dangerhere

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

FatCat wrote:

I was sick in Germany and stayed at the hospital for one week (in Hamburg, an infection), never paid nothing, but maybe because, as an european citizen, my sanitary card is valid as an insurance, paid by my Country.

Being Irish myself living in Germany, I'm fairly sure what happened here. Irish people going on holiday to Croatia firstly wouldn't carry an EHIC on them (or at least the majority of them wouldn't unless they had a good reason to). The Irish health service is free at the point of use, so you don't usually carry insurance details with you unless you have private insurance, even then I'm fairly sure you don't have a card to prove you are with X insurer. In any case, the German hospitals wouldn't have treated someone for free with private Irish insurance. Someone with public insurance, is insured by default, ie you don't have a proof per se (in a similar way say as a British person will not have proof that they are entitled to free NHS care, they just are!).

So Paddy or Patricia turns up unexpectedly via Ryanair on German soil and the doc checks them out. Paddy and Patricia assume it's like Ireland and they get treated and sent on their way. As part of the process they are asked for their EHIC, which in Ireland, you will only get by visiting your GP and I guess paying a fee for the privilege. Whereas in Germany, it's simply integrated into your health insurance card, probably like many European countries no doubt.

It's a bit stingy of the hospital not to accept an EU passport as a proof given the circumstances, it's not like they wanted to end up in Germany, but then again Germany is fairly strict when it comes to health insurance and many other things. If they are unlucky, they might even get a bill for the ambulance ride.

It's much the same cultural reason as why Irish and British people associate passports primarily with travel abroad (to the point many people don't even have one), whereas on the continent they would be seen primarily as for identification purposes.

Sorry for getting all German about this :smile:

Etheereal

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 pm

FrmrKSEngr wrote:

Then again, you see on the last WN incident (the engine one), there were people that did not know how to put their masks properly.

If people paid more attention to the safety instructions rather than playing on their phone, things would be muuch better.

Galwayman

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

dangerhere wrote:
FatCat wrote:

Being Irish myself living in Germany, I'm fairly sure what happened here. Irish people going on holiday to Croatia firstly wouldn't carry an EHIC on them (or at least the majority of them wouldn't unless they had a good reason to). The Irish health service is free at the point of use, so you don't usually carry insurance details with you unless you have private insurance, even then I'm fairly sure you don't have a card to prove you are with X insurer. In any case, the German hospitals wouldn't have treated someone for free with private Irish insurance. Someone with public insurance, is insured by default, ie you don't have a proof per se (in a similar way say as a British person will not have proof that they are entitled to free NHS care, they just are!).

So Paddy or Patricia turns up unexpectedly via Ryanair on German soil and the doc checks them out. Paddy and Patricia assume it's like Ireland and they get treated and sent on their way. As part of the process they are asked for their EHIC, which in Ireland, you will only get by visiting your GP and I guess paying a fee for the privilege. Whereas in Germany, it's simply integrated into your health insurance card, probably like many European countries no doubt.

It's a bit stingy of the hospital not to accept an EU passport as a proof given the circumstances, it's not like they wanted to end up in Germany, but then again Germany is fairly strict when it comes to health insurance and many other things. If they are unlucky, they might even get a bill for the ambulance ride.

It's much the same cultural reason as why Irish and British people associate passports primarily with travel abroad (to

the point many people don't even have one), whereas on the continent they would be seen primarily as for identification purposes.

Rubbish ...

The Irish health service isn’t NOT free a point of use , it’s €50 to see a Gp ,€150 plus for an ambulance

Every Irish person I know carries their EHIC religiously ... even going to the U.K.

Galwayman

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

zakelwe wrote:

And yet they’re the safest airline flying and other airlines do exactly the same . Pay more for less if you want to but no thanks.....

dangerhere

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Galwayman wrote:
dangerhere wrote:
FatCat wrote:

It's much the same cultural reason as why Irish and British people associate passports primarily with travel abroad (to

the point many people don't even have one), whereas on the continent they would be seen primarily as for identification purposes.

Rubbish ...

The Irish health service isn’t NOT free a point of use , it’s €50 to see a Gp ,€150 plus for an ambulance

Every Irish person I know carries their EHIC religiously ... even going to the U.K.

fair enough actually, I had overlooked these charges.

RandWkop

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm

CARST wrote:

This was a normal accident. It could have happened on every other airline and also has happened with many airlines including major network carriers. I'm usually only flying OneWorld airlines, and probably take Ryanair once a year tops and also I'm not associated with them, so I have no reason to defend them, but you armchair experts here on a.net blow everything with LCCs out of proportion. Ryanair is Europes largest airline, has a fabolous safety record and the pilots handled the incident according to their SOPs which are similar to most other airlines.

So just to point out other "loss of cabin pressure & rapid descend" incidents of major airlines:
- 2018, ANA: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ba6855e&opt=0
- 2017, British Airways: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a858c16&opt=0
- 2017, United: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ad5f83d&opt=0
- 2010, American Airlines: http://avherald.com/h?article=432c6391
- And many more if you search for terms like "cabin pressure" on AvHerald: http://avherald.com/h?search_term=cabin ... search.y=0

Regarding their handling of the stranded aircraft and letting the pax find their own accomodation: This is Ryanair. A ULCC. You know what you get when booking it and everyone knows how they are handling IROPS. That is why you get the massive, massive EU compensation according to EU261. All these pax probably get around 600€ or more. Try that anywhere else on the world.

FrmrKSEngr wrote:

:checkmark: Thank you…

Heinkel wrote:
Never ever heard the "The bag may not inflate..." part before.

Standard with most airlines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoQwZ9BQ9Q

PanHAM wrote:

You get what you pay for. Live with it.

flyaustralian12 wrote:
yet another media beat up. Many journos fly legacies airlines, either cos they are not paying, or they are flying free (in return for +ve coverage)& what would any other airline do if there's no rooms anywhere nearby ?

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: EXACTLY. And it's not only the journalists who fly free or very cheap on the major airlines, it's also the politicians. And that then tells you a lot who the network carriers do their political lobbying. Also both, journalists and politicians, usually get the highest status cards for free.

From the quotes, in this report, it looks like a very sudden decompression occurred. Also the bus was hired as injured passengers were medically advised not to fly for a week.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0714/978602-ryanair/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos