Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

believeinflight
Topic Author

Should OAK be renamed for Amelia Earhart?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Amelia Earhart was a pioneer in aviation, and Oakland was a stop on her record-breaking flight. I think it makes sense to name the airport after her, what are your thoughts on that?
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

FATFlyer

Re: Naming OAK after Amelia Earhart

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Her birthplace of Atchison, Kansas has named its airport after her.
http://cityofatchison.com/city-governme ... l-airport/
http://www.airnav.com/airport/K59

jterlick

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I think with the Oakland area being at the forefront of civil rights activism, Bessie Coleman would be a great fit for the airport.

airtrantpa

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 pm

jterlick wrote:
I think with the Oakland area being at the forefront of civil rights activism, Bessie Coleman would be a great fit for the airport.

The service road around TPA is named after Bessie Coleman.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Considering the fate of Ms. Earhart, probably not a comforting name for some people, although I'm sure most people applaud her spirit of adventure.

ucdtim17

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
jterlick wrote:

The access road at OAK is named Bessie Coleman Drive https://www.oaklandairport.com/port-and ... l-airport/

sw733

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
jterlick wrote:

Bessie Coleman Drive at ORD too

airplanenut

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
jterlick wrote:

The access road at OAK is named Bessie Coleman Drive https://www.oaklandairport.com/port-and ... l-airport/

And O'Hare

OB1504

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Going by that logic, it would make more sense to name MIA after Amelia Earhart since she started her journey in Miami.

Moose135

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Going by that logic, it would make more sense to name MIA after Amelia Earhart since she started her journey in Miami.

And since she is Missing In Action... ;)

jfklganyc

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Yeah, disappearence in the Pacific...not a good name for the general public airport (accomplishments aside)

SFOThinker

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Kingsford Smith began his first transpacific flight to Australia from Oakland Airport. http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt4 ... t=metadata
But Sydney already took his name for its airport.

NYPECO

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Considering the fate of Ms. Earhart, probably not a comforting name for some people, although I'm sure most people applaud her spirit of adventure.

jfklganyc wrote:
Yeah, disappearence in the Pacific...not a good name for the general public airport (accomplishments aside)

It happened so long ago that I don't think it would make people nervous just because she disappeared, and I don't think the general public is very scared of flying either.

Moose135 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Ouch

NYPECO

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 am

OzarkD9S wrote:

jfklganyc wrote:

It happened so long ago that I don't think it would make people nervous just because she disappeared, and I don't think the general public is very scared of flying either.

Moose135 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:

Ouch

Confuscius

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:27 am

I'd settle for Jerry or Willie Brown. ;)

FatCat

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 am

I'm surprised there wasn't already an airport named after her...

airtrantpa

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

FatCat wrote:
I'm surprised there wasn't already an airport named after her...

Fwiw one of the elevator groups at TPA is named after her, plus tony jannus, sikorski, and i cant remeber the 4th.

evank516

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm

I mean, it's not like LGA or JFK are named after Charles Lindbergh and his historic flight originated from here. But hey if OAK wants to do it, go for it.

ro1960

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's (born in Lyon) death remains a mystery (shot down or suicide or else), yet LYS is named after him. Many aviation pioneers have had sad fates, their names can still be given to airports regardless.

chunhimlai

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Why not EWR after Donald Trump?
Or LHR (after 3rd runway constructed) after Boris Johnson?

Northeast748

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm

There is a general aviation terminal at Boston Logan named after her.

Coronado990

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 pm

evank516 wrote:
I mean, it's not like LGA or JFK are named after Charles Lindbergh and his historic flight originated from here. But hey if OAK wants to do it, go for it.

You may want to look up the name of San Diego's Airport where Charles not only started his journey but built his plane there.

OKCDCA

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:00 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

I think Oklahoma City takes the cake for bad airport names. OKC is named after Will Rogers and PWA (Gen Av) is named after Wiley Post. Both died in a plane crash!

evank516

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

You may want to look up the name of San Diego's Airport where Charles not only started his journey but built his plane there.

I'm well aware of SAN's name. However he didn't start the transatlantic leg from San Diego, he started it from New York. Roosevelt Field to be exact. Closest airport to Roosevelt Field nowadays is JFK (or maybe FRG).

BENAir01

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I probably shouldn't reply to this thread because its just feeding the troll, but the OP's logic is not much better than saying I went to PEK airport once, so it should be named after me.

Chemist

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:39 pm

believeinflight wrote:
Amelia Earhart was a pioneer in aviation, and Oakland was a stop on her record-breaking flight. I think it makes sense to name the airport after her, what are your thoughts on that?

How well did that go when Burbank renamed itself Bob Hope Airport?

1 - Kept name for a decade or so
2 - No geographic recognition of where it was
3 - City council decided the name reduced traffic, renamed airport to the city names
4 - It's now back to "Hollywood-Burbank Airport" which is what it should be IMHO.

ucdtim17

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
I probably shouldn't reply to this thread because its just feeding the troll, but the OP's logic is not much better than saying I went to PEK airport once, so it should be named after me.

Not exactly. Earhart spent a significant amount of time in Oakland.

Earhart was no stranger to the Oakland Airport Inn, having stayed there many times.

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-plane ... 180959836/

According to this, she also kept an office downtown: https://localwiki.org/oakland/Amelia_Earhart. In the airport today there's a large picture of her getting her hair cut at the Tribune Tower downtown.

The road the airport museum is on is Earhart Rd.

holeham

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I believe that the other elevator bank at TPA is named after Neil Armstrong.

laxtrii

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:55 pm

There was once a proposal to name it after Ed Daly of World Airways after his passing.

EarlyLateORD

Re: Should OAK be renamed for Amelia Earhart?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm

It should be named MC Hammer-Oakland-Eastbay Aerodrome

Adam

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm

EarlyLateORD wrote:
It should be named MC Hammer-Oakland-Eastbay Aerodrome

Adam

I prefer "2 Legit 2 Quit Field"

gatechae

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I think Oklahoma City takes the cake for bad airport names. OKC is named after Will Rogers and PWA (Gen Av) is named after Wiley Post. Both died in a plane crash!

The same plane crash in fact.

questions

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I have never been a fan of naming airports after people. Just name it for its location or area served.

Terminals I feel less strongly about. However the formal names get to be too much sometimes. For example:

The Maynard F. Jackson, Jr. International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

And, adding “international” to just about every airport, especially to ones that do not have daily scheduled service to locations outside of the US, is nothing more than something to give politicians erections.

There is nothing wrong with Oakland Airport... Miami Airport... Atlanta Airport... etc. If there are more than one airport serving the metro area then name it after the metro area followed by the town/location name.

I really like the simplicity of using the airport code. For example, LAX, SFO and DFW.

NYPECO

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:33 pm

questions wrote:
I have never been a fan of naming airports after people. Just name it for its location or area served.

Terminals I feel less strongly about. However the formal names get to be too much sometimes. For example:

The Maynard F. Jackson, Jr. International Terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

And, adding “international” to just about every airport, especially to ones that do not have daily scheduled service to locations outside of the US, is nothing more than something to give politicians erections.

There is nothing wrong with Oakland Airport... Miami Airport... Atlanta Airport... etc. If there are more than one airport serving the metro area then name it after the metro area followed by the town/location name.

I really like the simplicity of using the airport code. For example, LAX, SFO and DFW.

BOS is officially known as "General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport." Luckily most people just say Logan Airport.

PEK777

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Celebrate a failure?

ytib

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:56 am

There is an elementary school also named after her not far from the airport as well on the end of Bay Farm Island.

FrmrKSEngr

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:40 am

chunhimlai wrote:
Or LHR (after 3rd runway constructed) after Boris Johnson?

Travelling to "London's Johnson" - I don't think so

EWRandMDW

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Trump is a Noo Yohka. EWR is not in Noo Yohk.

There is at least one photo of Albert Einstein at Newark Airport. Einstein did live and work in Princeton which is in New Jersey, just like EWR. Maybe the airport should be renamed Albert Einstein Newark International Airport? Has an easy ring to it, no? By the way, Lindbergh, Earhart, Howard Hughes and other aviation pioneers all flew in and out of EWR as well. Newark Liberty isn't that bad. After all, Miss Liberty stands on an island in the New Jersey half of the Hudson River!
But of course, Noo Yohk won't ever admit to it.

SFOA380

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 pm

No... that would be as bad as North Carolina taking credit for birthing aviation.

chunhimlai

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:14 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Trump is a Noo Yohka. EWR is not in Noo Yohk.

There is at least one photo of Albert Einstein at Newark Airport. Einstein did live and work in Princeton which is in New Jersey, just like EWR. Maybe the airport should be renamed Albert Einstein Newark International Airport? Has an easy ring to it, no? By the way, Lindbergh, Earhart, Howard Hughes and other aviation pioneers all flew in and out of EWR as well. Newark Liberty isn't that bad. After all, Miss Liberty stands on an island in the New Jersey half of the Hudson River!
But of course, Noo Yohk won't ever admit to it.

Albert Einstein Princeton Intercontinental Airport

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos