Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

santi319
Topic Author

NK adds yet more International: EWR-SDQ + more

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 pm

flymco753

Re: NK adds yet more International: EWR-SDQ + more

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

I see EWR becoming a decent sized operation for NK, doing what LGA can't. Meanwhile, this new DTW-MBJ add is going to be keystone to Detroit's success as a strong focus city.

santi319
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:32 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I see EWR becoming a decent sized operation for NK, doing what LGA can't.

I agree, wondering if CUN-EWR is next...

phluser

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm

flymco753 wrote:

NK is growing it seems - verified, and I didn't even know until today that it's servicing EWR-IAH. Meanwhile F9's decision to pass on being at EWR is becoming a bigger missed opportunity, if there is space for NK to grow. There are smaller markets that F9 went in and it made sense, like BUF (while NK keeps a limited presence at IAG). OTOH, It passed on BWI, but it's a bloodbath on some routes and F9 has a DCA/IAD niche. But EWR is a huge airport, larger market with some high fares as well, and F9 just is not there.

tphuang

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm

I don’t see how much they can grow given the gate constraints. And on top of that, the aggressive fare matching by ua really makes their ewr station not that profitable.

tphuang

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:45 pm

santi319 wrote:
[*]
tphuang wrote:
I don’t see how much they can grow given the gate constraints. And on top of that, the aggressive fare matching by ua really makes their ewr station not that profitable.

UA, B6 or WN can agressively match the fares etc, and in the short term it works, but in the long run as a lot of these new routes/old routes returning recently, people learn that once NK leaves prices go up. And lets be honest UA or B6 are not able to compete with NK.... they can do temporarily but in the long run its not going to happen.

That’s not even remotely true. They clearly had a large network adjustment recently, because their profits have been declining. As long as other airlines are getting their planes filled, they will gladly match fares with nk for that one flight while keep pricing high elsewhere.

And in the case of ewr, all the routes they are in have plenty of competition. Fares to fll, mco, las and msy in New York area aren’t going up anytime soon.

santi319
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 pm

[*]
tphuang wrote:

UA, B6 or WN can agressively match the fares etc, and in the short term it works, but in the long run as a lot of these new routes/old routes returning recently, people learn that once NK leaves prices go up. And lets be honest UA or B6 are not able to compete with NK.... they can do temporarily but in the long run its not going to happen.

Cubsrule

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 pm

santi319 wrote:
[*]
tphuang wrote:

NK is going to have to grow a lot more in a lot of markets about which UA and B6 care for UA or B6 to have trouble matching fares if they want to.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:29 pm

I would see EWR-CUN being a good route.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Winter season to MBJ or SXM, 3x weekly, could also work. That said, NK is very deliberate in route expansion.

F9LASDEN

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm

phluser wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

NK is growing it seems - verified, and I didn't even know until today that it's servicing EWR-IAH. Meanwhile F9's decision to pass on being at EWR is becoming a bigger missed opportunity, if there is space for NK to grow. There are smaller markets that F9 went in and it made sense, like BUF (while NK keeps a limited presence at IAG). OTOH, It passed on BWI, but it's a bloodbath on some routes and F9 has a DCA/IAD niche. But EWR is a huge airport, larger market with some high fares as well, and F9 just is not there.

I’d agree that EWR seems to be one of the biggest missing opportunities in F9’s system. However, at the same time, F9’s strategy at airports surrounding EWR as well as in the NYC area may explain why they’ve ignored it up to this point. Their PHL focus city, TTN presence, (very small) LGA presence, and ongoing attempt to build up at ISP may all combine to make them feel that at this time, presence at EWR isn’t necessary for them (not that I really agree with that). If they did decide to enter EWR at some point, I’d assume DEN (year round service between DEN and NYC is, I believe, one of the biggest holes in F9’s network) and MCO would come first, with LAS, AUS, SAT, ORD, RDU, and SJU being other possibilities.

NYCSKYGUY

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Can Spirit even fly over water routes or will they be limited like Southwest to flying near shore? Do they have rafts, HF radios or CPDLC? If not look for all the flights to have to go down the coast, across the Bahamas and then East to the Dom Rep.

brains

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 pm

NYCSKYGUY wrote:
Can Spirit even fly over water routes or will they be limited like Southwest to flying near shore? Do they have rafts, HF radios or CPDLC? If not look for all the flights to have to go down the coast, across the Bahamas and then East to the Dom Rep.

Yes, all aircraft are equipped with HF and rafts. NKS flies over water all day every day.

BWIAirport

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Oof, both those legs of EWR-SDQ are redeyes, at pretty tough hours

asuflyer

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

These are VFR flights, many pax from LatAm and the Caribbean prefer flights at these hours, so they can work a full day before.

sw733

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:16 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Doubtful it will be an issue for this fare-sensitive market. Definitely not doing to see many traditional business folks or tourists on that flight...most likely it will be almost exclusively VFR traffic.

drdisque

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

They have to at least on the return because that's the only time there's FIS gate availability in Terminal B.

NYCSKYGUY

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm

brains wrote:
NYCSKYGUY wrote:

Yes, all aircraft are equipped with HF and rafts. NKS flies over water all day every day.

What routes do they currently fly that require HF?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos