Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Irehdna
Topic Author

Emirates massive reductions in service due to rway replacement

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 am

In the US, all routes except LAX, SFO, SEA, IAH, and EWR seem to be getting reductions. Many more destinations around the world too.

Generally for US flights, 1/7 of flights will be dropped.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... eductions/

devron

Re: Emirates massive reductions in service due to rway replacement

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 am

I guess those A380 come in Handy now and will be utilized to the Maximum can we already see if there utilization rates will be increased?

cougar15

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am

so what´s new, same as 2 years ago.....?

JannEejit

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 am

Does DXB replace it's runway surface more often than other busy major hubs ?

Jetty

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

JannEejit wrote:

Seems only logical with hot temperatures, frequent usage and likely the on average heaviest planes of any major hub.

migair54

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm

devron wrote:
I guess those A380 come in Handy now and will be utilized to the Maximum can we already see if there utilization rates will be increased?

I don't think any route will get upgauge to A380.

Actually I though they could have operated some flights from DWC, maybe that will create more problems than the one it solves.
Jetty wrote:
Seems only logical with hot temperatures, frequent usage and likely the on average heaviest planes of any major hub.

I think one of the problems is that DXB is a 24 busy hub, some other airports like LHR can do the works slowly during the night curfew, so they don't really have do such a drastic move.

Anyway, I think 45 days to re-do both runways it's a very quick job and EK+FZ have the previous experience o adjust the operation, I think last time this happen EK cancelled too many flights and later they realized they could have had some more.

Someone83

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 pm

cougar15 wrote:
so what´s new, same as 2 years ago.....?

Yes, it is time for the other runway

mjoelnir

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm

JannEejit wrote:

Last time they did one runway, this time the other. The works have that a big effect, because of this big airport having only two runways. It shares this distinction with LHR, more movements and less passengers there. Most similar sized airports have more runways and it makes rather less waves in the news to resurface one of four or five runways.

parapente

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Why not do this work in the winter when the tarmac will set far more quickly?

Planesmart

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 pm

parapente wrote:

DXB runways are a combination of concrete and asphalt. Concrete on the touchdown area - asphalt elsewhere. Add synthetics to the asphalt for faster curing.

Not a runway expert, but viewed the tender document.

sassiciai

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm

parapente wrote:

We are talking about Dubai.

Please enlighten us on when the Dubai temperatures are so significantly lower that tarmac will set quicker!

I imagine that the selected window has been determined very carefully to minimise disruption, or else the runway is in a condition that cannot wait for being resurfaced.

Too late now (or is it) to do a "Gatwick"? At LGW, the taxiway parallel to the "only" runway is actually a second runway, it is just too close to the main runway for the 2 to operate simultaneously. But LGW can shut down its "only" runway, and keep on operating!

sand26391

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Can someone educate me why not divert some flights to DWC?? Or am I missing something here? Just curious :-)

mjoelnir

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

sand26391 wrote:
Can someone educate me why not divert some flights to DWC?? Or am I missing something here? Just curious :-)

As it is DWC has very limited capabilities as a passenger airport. The main business at DXB is not O&D but transit or transfer passengers. A bit difficult when you land at DWC and connect at DXB.

iadadd

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

sand26391 wrote:

The EK model is highly dependent on connections, it would be a nightmare having to transfer passengers between DXB and DWC

iadadd

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Also, EWR is seeing a reduction. The nonstop flight is cancelled during this period, only DXB-ATH-EWR will be in operation

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-project/

EK770

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

The timing of runway improvements coincides roughly with ramadan, during which to/from/within the Middle East traffic is significantly reduced. You'll notice some of the largest reductions are within the GCC.

MSNDreaming

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Just a couple of points of clarification for paving with asphalt concrete. Asphalt concrete does not "cure," it simply cools. Cooling changes the asphalt binder (the black sticky portion) from a viscous material to a more elastic and stiffer material. When placing asphalt concrete, it is actually much more important to think about how quickly the temperature of the asphalt concrete is dropping, as it needs to be compacted to a certain level of air voids. You do not want the temperature of the asphalt concrete to drop below 175F (80C) before you reach your desired air void target. I do not know the specific materials being used on DXB runways, but I assume that they are designed to be fully functioning during the peak heat of summer (additives can help with this, per Planesmart's comment), which I am sure exceeds 175F (80F) on the asphalt concrete surface.

Typical asphalt concrete has 3-7% air during service, but when it is first placed out of a paving machine, it has 11-15% air. Therefore, a series of compactors (steel wheel and pneumatic) are used to reduce the air void content from the 11-15% down to the 3-7%. Just as long as the compactors have enough time to go over freshly placed asphalt concrete before reaching the 175F (80C), it shouldn't take more than an hour for the asphalt concrete to reach a temperature that allows traffic to move over the surface without damaging the structure.

I could get into more detail, but this is the gist of placing asphalt concrete in terms of time and temperature.

Arion640

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm

sassiciai wrote:
parapente wrote:

Please enlighten us on when the Dubai temperatures are so significantly lower that tarmac will set quicker!

I imagine that the selected window has been determined very carefully to minimise disruption, or else the runway is in a condition that cannot wait for being resurfaced.

Too late now (or is it) to do a "Gatwick"? At LGW, the taxiway parallel to the "only" runway is actually a second runway, it is just too close to the main runway for the 2 to operate simultaneously. But LGW can shut down its "only" runway, and keep on operating!

It’s being done during Ramadan when travel for those of the muslim faith is at it’s lowest. The runway will be open again for Eid.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

So 3 Rs impacting EK's schedule Ramadan, Runway resurface and Runaway crew.

artofzen

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Arion640 wrote:
sassiciai wrote:
parapente wrote:

It’s being done during Ramadan when travel for those of the muslim faith is at it’s lowest. The runway will be open again for Eid.

Dubai is cold in winter I have been told.

MaRoFu

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 pm

iadadd wrote:
Also, EWR is seeing a reduction. The nonstop flight is cancelled during this period, only DXB-ATH-EWR will be in operation

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-project/

Rather poor choice to remove EWR-DXB in my opinion.

Not sure how good the loads are on EWR-ATH during the spring, but all I know is that lots of EWR passengers that use EK to access certain Asian countries will be inconvenienced by the cancellation during the duration of this time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos