VSMUT

Re: Gulf Air to cancel C-Series order

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 am

LockheedBBD wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

The Air Tanzania order for 2 CS300 is as good as dead as well. Got caught up in a political fallout between Canada and Magufuli.

Bombardier delivered a new Q400 to Air Tanzania only 3-4 months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Viye_mwLSc

This was a few months after this incident in November 2017: https://www.reuters.com/article/tanzani ... SL3N1NC5MI

From the insider information I got, the initial downpayment for the A220s is gone. This was financed by Canada, who withdrew support for the deal following the November incident. Supposedly the money was granted to the construction firm instead as compensation. It is pretty telling that the first A220 should have been delivered in May, but nothing has emerged.
The Q400s were already built and paid for at the time. Diverting funds from unbuilt aircraft would have caused less harm to Bombardier than leaving them with an undeliverable Q400.

juliuswong wrote:
As what Polot has mentioned earlier, the 32 firm order + 10 options Ilyushin order placed on 4 June 2013 is now with GTLK State Transport Leasing Co. On 5 August 2016, they cancelled 12 firm + 10 options, leaving 20 firm order. Then they cancelled another six on 31 March 2018, leaving 14 firm order.

GTLK State Transport Leasing Co. currently holds an order for six A220-300. Not sure where the other eight order went to.

Isn't Red Wings getting 20 aircraft? Could be some of those that have been transferred.

juliuswong

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 am

VSMUT wrote:
Isn't Red Wings getting 20 aircraft? Could be some of those that have been transferred.

Apparently according to local news report, Red Wing is only getting 6 on operational lease from GTLK.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/russias-r ... -customer/
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

scbriml

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 am

I don't think this cancellation is any reflection on the plane, more on yet another "change of strategy" by GF as they struggle to survive. They've been struggling for years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

juliuswong

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am

scbriml wrote:
I don't think this cancellation is any reflection on the plane, more on yet another "change of strategy" by GF as they struggle to survive. They've been struggling for years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear.

Sad to see once mighty Gulf Air has fallen so badly. They were once one of the most prominent airline having excellent hard and soft products and services. Since the pullout of Qatar, UAE and Oman, they have lurched from years to year without clear strategy and direction. They have slew of CEO for past decades, each having different strategy. They dabbled with B763, B77W, A343, A333, B737NG, Embraer 170/190, on and off with more or less A319/A320. Now taking in 16 B787 and 29 A320neo, still having 6 A332.

Let's hope the new CEO Krešimir Kučko would know what to do.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

LockheedBBD

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:
I think the 'undiscolsed European carrier' is Air Baltic

1. Air Baltic announcing the order, by definition, means it's not "undisclosed".
2. Air Baltic ordered 30, while this order is for 31.
3. BBD said (I believe) that this was for a new customer.

I guess we'll see. :-)

According to a comment by Scott Hamilton of Leeham News, the supposed "undisclosed European carrier" was Air Baltic all along. Sounds like it was just smoke and mirrors from Bombardier when they said that it was a new customer.

Source: https://leehamnews.com/2018/07/15/ponti ... /#comments

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 am

LockheedBBD wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:
I think the 'undiscolsed European carrier' is Air Baltic

1. Air Baltic announcing the order, by definition, means it's not "undisclosed".
2. Air Baltic ordered 30, while this order is for 31.
3. BBD said (I believe) that this was for a new customer.

I guess we'll see. :-)

According to a comment by Scott Hamilton of Leeham News, the supposed "undisclosed European carrier" was Air Baltic all along. Sounds like it was just smoke and mirrors from Bombardier when they said that it was a new customer.

Source: https://leehamnews.com/2018/07/15/ponti ... /#comments

Lame. Lol
-Dave

Alexdk

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 am

juliuswong wrote:
Based on the list of customers, these orders seems to be very shaky:
Commitment only:
Air Arabia Jordan- 2
AtlasGlobal- 10
Falko Regional Aircraft- 20
flymojo- 20-> definitely goner....the airlines never started and their AOC expired on 30 May 2016 without any extension sought.
Zhejiang Loong Airlines Co.-20
Undisclosed African airline- 5
Undisclosed European customer- 31
Undisclosed existing customer-7

Firm Order:
Ilyushin Finance Co.-32
Iraqi Airways- 5

I took the list from WIkipedia, might not be accurate.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/russia-re ... ture-a220/
6 of Ilyushin’s A223s will almost definitely be delivered to Red Wings. Originally, the order was for VIM (which went bust), and Azur Air Ukraine (which most likely won’t lease planes from a Russian company). Thus, part of the remaining 26 may go to Red Wings (which is a wholly owned in-house airline of Ilyushin Finance) while the rest may go to some other Russian airline (I would bet on S7, Ural, or even Aeroflot), or be cancelled.

uta999

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

Is it time to put this airline to bed, and just become a domestic Gulf carrier?
Your computer just got better

dcaviation

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am

L0VE2FLY wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like Airbus is off to a great start! Just joking, I honestly expected this as this route just made much more sense for GF. Keeps the fleet simple and honestly that aircraft size really isn’t needed for them.

The CSeries was just perfect for GF, a very capable airliner that's small enough to allow them to serve markets too small to be flown by the ME3's bigger birds.

What markets? They don't need those micro planes. Gulf Air is serving one of the shortest international flights (Bahrain to Dammam 65km) with A320 and that flight is always full. I'm yet to fly on Gulf Air where the load factor is under 95%. Gulf flies A330s on a 45/50 minute long flights within the region, and these flights are full. Why would they go with purse sized aircraft? I'm not saying it with the hate. I like Gulf Air and I fly them a lot.
Their bigger problem is shitty airport. Now that Muscat has open new terminal, Bahrain's airport is the worst in the region. Inside is like most US airports. Built in the 70s and never updated. I don't know what's the progress on the construction of the new terminal, but I don't see them finishing it in the next 5 years.

wezgulf3

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:49 pm

It would seem this order is not gone just yet!

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... on-450309/

Wes...

c933103

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

dcaviation wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like Airbus is off to a great start! Just joking, I honestly expected this as this route just made much more sense for GF. Keeps the fleet simple and honestly that aircraft size really isn’t needed for them.

The CSeries was just perfect for GF, a very capable airliner that's small enough to allow them to serve markets too small to be flown by the ME3's bigger birds.

What markets? They don't need those micro planes. Gulf Air is serving one of the shortest international flights (Bahrain to Dammam 65km) with A320 and that flight is always full. I'm yet to fly on Gulf Air where the load factor is under 95%. Gulf flies A330s on a 45/50 minute long flights within the region, and these flights are full. Why would they go with purse sized aircraft? I'm not saying it with the hate. I like Gulf Air and I fly them a lot.
Their bigger problem is shitty airport. Now that Muscat has open new terminal, Bahrain's airport is the worst in the region. Inside is like most US airports. Built in the 70s and never updated. I don't know what's the progress on the construction of the new terminal, but I don't see them finishing it in the next 5 years.

...? There are lots of demand on a lot of short flights doesn't mean there are other airports with less travel demand from Bahrain in other part of the world that's still within A220's range

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos