WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 am

TK and the new IST will be a sea change compared to the me3 (i.e., not relying heavily on long haul n/s to LHR). (lower case "me3" to reflect change in stature :shock: ) TK can execute the EU focus city to Asian focus city strategy using NBs and small WBs, with frequencies* that the me3 cannot match ... esp. westbound into focus cities in EU members. TK could develop IST into an "LHR/CDG/AMS East" for connections, and exploit a mixed NB and WB fleet that the me3 don't have. And also do long haul n/s to LHR and other hubs.

*Many studies show frequency wins over low price for business pax, so discounts on J on an EK A380 or 77W won't change that paradigm.
 
User avatar
neomax
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 am

JoeCanuck wrote:
I'm not even sure they had time, (or the altitude), to pull the gear up.


This sounds amazing.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:05 am

lightsaber wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
EY and AUH have yet to face the pressure from TK hubbed at the new IST.

When, not if, Turkey joins the Shengen Area, TK at IST will eventually marginalize EK at DBX for scissor hub traffic, and the impact on QR/DOH and EY/AUH would be a plunge into an ocean of deep red ink with their current business models.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/turkey ... travel-eu/

I've been alluding to how the new IST will impact the ME3 to... not to much agreement. A nearby high O&D hub has an advantage with attracting connecting traffic. The only disadvantages might be cost and of course premium traffic to any destination prefers a non-stop. It is ensuring there is enough of that premium traffic that ensures a hubs success.

Lightsaber


IST making a real impact on the ME3 is a long time coming. I have no doubt that it has the largest O&D traffic in the region by far and it may even be better situated as an EU-Asia hub than the ME3.

EK will weather the storm and I think QR has the deep pockets and the will to keep QR in the game, but it seems to me that every bit of news that comes out of the region, spells eventual doom for EY. Etihad was a vanity project from the beginning but it seems that even they don't think it's worth the effort anymore.

I have this position not as a hater of EY or Abu Dhabi. As I mentioned previously, I preferred AD to Dubai. It had a charm that Dubai never did...and nowhere near the traffic problems. Etihad was a better product back then too, but while AUH could seem busy, that was only because in comparison to the DXB terminals, it was tiny.

Still, the round terminal at AUH was a real jewel...one of my favorites to travel through, partly due to the low traffic numbers but mostly because it was stunning.

Image

neomax wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:
I'm not even sure they had time, (or the altitude), to pull the gear up.


This sounds amazing.


Yah. It was pretty damned cool.
Last edited by JoeCanuck on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
What the...?
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 am

Merging EK and EY and having them operate out of DWC just makes way too much sense for it to not happen eventually.

The ownership could be split between the two governments and hopefully they can make it so it's a joint point of pride rather than pride making stupid decisions for competition.
 
vadodara
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm

lightsaber wrote:
vadodara wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:

I doubt that there is enough international business traffic to support EY, and business is probably supported well enough with the existing terminals.

Even if they do decide to hang on, the most logical thing to me would be some sort of tie up with EK. Sure, they could try to get in with one of the major alliances, but while I can think of reasons why they would, what do they bring to the table? What does EY offer that anybody wants or needs?


Again, Abu Dhabi is not Dubai. It does not need the tourist $'s to survive. On the other hand, it can use its investments/geography to bring in incidental revenue. DBX is already crowded. No one is willing to move to Dubai World. No room for 3rd runway. Where do you grow Dubai?

What Abu Dhabi brings to table is load of cash. If you recall, in not to distant past, Abu Dhabi bailed out Dubai with the purchase of some landmarks's.

This will be decided by politics; so cant hazard a guess. However with a sensible CEO, EY can grow incrementally like Swiss or the 2 Iceland airlines.

Abu Dhabi doesn't have enough O&D to be a competitive hub versus DXB or IST. Tourism would help. EK and TK win this round.

Abu Dhabi wasted too much money. They are living as if oil is pricier than it is. They we're once cash flush. Hogan and moderate priced oil ended that.

Lightsaber


Hogan, yes. Not sure about the Abu Dhabi rulers. They have recognized the need to invest in business'. Obviously, they could have hired better managers.

You are mixing up the amount sunk in Air Berlin and AlItalia with that into the Abu Dhabi airport. But in a (very weak) defence of Hogan, his investments in Jet were a runaway success.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
Merging EK and EY and having them operate out of DWC just makes way too much sense for it to not happen eventually.

The ownership could be split between the two governments and hopefully they can make it so it's a joint point of pride rather than pride making stupid decisions for competition.


It wouldn't really be fair to split the ownership because EK is 3x the size of EY, and EK has worked much harder and been way more careful with expansion, spending etc. whereas EY has been reckless and lost (and keeps losing) money.

EY made a mistake hiring this CEO. I watched the interview and he didn't really have a solid plan. They really should have poached Mueller from EK but I'm guessing he's getting ready to take over EK from Timmy.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
Merging EK and EY and having them operate out of DWC just makes way too much sense for it to not happen eventually.

The ownership could be split between the two governments and hopefully they can make it so it's a joint point of pride rather than pride making stupid decisions for competition.


It wouldn't really be fair to split the ownership because EK is 3x the size of EY, and EK has worked much harder and been way more careful with expansion, spending etc. whereas EY has been reckless and lost (and keeps losing) money.

EY made a mistake hiring this CEO. I watched the interview and he didn't really have a solid plan. They really should have poached Mueller from EK but I'm guessing he's getting ready to take over EK from Timmy.


It's not so much the lack of a proper plan for the airline that has hobbled EY, it's the idea of the airline itself. There was no business plan that ever made sense for an Emirates Redux, an hour's drive down the road from DXB. The rulers of Abu Dhabi were miffed that Dubai was getting all the attention, Dubai's crowning PR jewel was EK, so they wanted an airline of their own, to show them what's what.

For Dubai, EK is an integral part of their long term plans. They don't have a lot of oil so they focused on services; airline, real estate, finances, international trade, etc. Abu Dhabi makes boat loads of cash from oil, so it doesn't need the marketing the way that Dubai does. The excitement of a shiny new airline is wearing off for the rulers of Abu Dhabi, I reckon and I wouldn't be surprised if they are working out a deal with EK already.

What it boils down to is; Dubai needs Emirates...Abu Dhabi doesn't need Etihad. Dubai will do whatever it takes to keep EK going and Abu Dhabi has better things on which to spend the time, effort and money.
What the...?
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:53 pm

My take: Sheikh Khalifa (not only President of UAE and Emir of AD, but Chairman of AD Investment Auth., owner of AUH and EY) will view absorption of EY into EK and demotion of AUH as a last resort. The preferred strategy will be to join an alliance ...e.g., 9W and EY join SkyTeam to counter TK's expansion at "LHR East" (the new IST) to preserve the "Abu Dhabi brand". In fact, the alliance strategy might make the AD Invest. Auth. more money in the long term than a "merger". If Sheikh Zayed or Khalifa had simply wanted better air service, the UAE would have built HSR to DBX. Moreover, a merger means less (or minimal or no?) AD input into how EK responds to TK's growth. TK's growth will come primarily at the expense of the me3.
 
User avatar
enzo011
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:13 pm

EY is losing money at the moment and it seems that sense has finally caught up with them. Their expansion plans seemed unrealistic when you consider that EK and QR had similar plans. Something has to give and it seems that EY will be the one that contracts. As for the possibility of EY and EK merging and using DWC, lets remember that they are almost finished with the new Midfield Terminal at Abu Dhabi and this has cost them almost $3 billion to construct. Add in the cost that the upgrades to the existing terminal has had I find it hard to believe any businessman would just give up these expensive projects. These cost would be on ADAC and not EY. Same owner but different departments. So if you factor in the losses of Etihad and add the losses the airport would have if they left it I don't know many people out there who would gladly just say goodbye to those billions. The prudent plan would be to have the airline compete on its own merits and not try and fight fire with fire against EK. This would mean it would have to have some tough years ahead but in the long run they will find their place and grow naturally from there, instead of forcing it by having a further 139 widebody aircraft on order.

As for Turkish Airlines, the potential is there but I am worried for their political stability and the effect this will have on the country and the airline.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
My take: Sheikh Khalifa (not only President of UAE and Emir of AD, but Chairman of AD Investment Auth., owner of AUH and EY) will view absorption of EY into EK and demotion of AUH as a last resort. The preferred strategy will be to join an alliance ...e.g., 9W and EY join SkyTeam to counter TK's expansion at "LHR East" (the new IST) to preserve the "Abu Dhabi brand". In fact, the alliance strategy might make the AD Invest. Auth. more money in the long term than a "merger". If Sheikh Zayed or Khalifa had simply wanted better air service, the UAE would have built HSR to DBX. Moreover, a merger means less (or minimal or no?) AD input into how EK responds to TK's growth. TK's growth will come primarily at the expense of the me3.


One thing that might smooth the combining of the two airlines, is that EK is named Emirates...not Dubai. Sheikh Khalifa didn't have any problem putting his name on the tallest building in the world in Dubai, just to show the folks down the road who's boss. The question is, would he rather have a stake in one of the biggest and most famous airlines in the world, (which just happens to be named after the country he runs), or a perennial runner up which is getting less relevant by the day?
What the...?
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 am

JoeCanuck wrote:
.... one of the biggest and most famous airlines in the world ... or a perennial runner up...

Big, and famous, at present. Runner up at present. Two of the three applecarts are already upset, and the third is top-heavy and wobbling.
I'm sure there's an active internal debate within the AD Invest. Auth., which is where the decision will be made, that weighs the combination of AUH and EY vs. the alternatives. I think ADIA will try to "facilitate" the entry of EY and 9W into an alliance (SkyTeam, *A, and OW, in that order) so that AD, AUH, and EY preserve their distinct identity and ROI on sunk cost (with more WBs to come).
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
Merging EK and EY and having them operate out of DWC just makes way too much sense for it to not happen eventually.

The ownership could be split between the two governments and hopefully they can make it so it's a joint point of pride rather than pride making stupid decisions for competition.


It wouldn't really be fair to split the ownership because EK is 3x the size of EY, and EK has worked much harder and been way more careful with expansion, spending etc. whereas EY has been reckless and lost (and keeps losing) money.

EY made a mistake hiring this CEO. I watched the interview and he didn't really have a solid plan. They really should have poached Mueller from EK but I'm guessing he's getting ready to take over EK from Timmy.


Why would you assume the split would be 50/50. Government of Abu Dhabi would have to put up a huge amount of cash to make that one work like that. I mean, not entirely an unrealistic possibility all things considered but "split ownership" is not remotely the same thing as "equally split ownership"
 
KingOrGod
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Turkey joins the Shengen Area,


I personally don't believe this to be a given, given how the political landscape is unfolding in Turkey. They certainly will never (OK never is a long time, but its chances have been shot down at the moment) be an EU member state, and I have my doubts about them being included in the Schengen area.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 909
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:12 am

KingOrGod wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Turkey joins the Shengen Area,


I personally don't believe this to be a given, given how the political landscape is unfolding in Turkey. They certainly will never (OK never is a long time, but its chances have been shot down at the moment) be an EU member state, and I have my doubts about them being included in the Schengen area.


Indeed.

The article linked originally refers to Turkey meeting the requirements for visa free travel to the EU, but nothing linked to being a part of the Schengen area, which I can not see fly at all.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85
 
airway1
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am

What surprises me with Etihad they haven’t improved their product from Kuwait. You can’t charge prices at Emirates and Qatar level and fly the 320 to Kuwait. Kuwait should be part of a strategy to funnel pax to Asia, Europe and US. Emirates flies 6 dailies using 777 and 380 while Qatar uses the 788, 350 and 777 on most of the 9 dailies.

Kuwait could be a focus city for them as the local carriers aren’t able to handle the demand.
 
artofzen
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

LupineChemist wrote:
Merging EK and EY and having them operate out of DWC just makes way too much sense for it to not happen eventually.

The ownership could be split between the two governments and hopefully they can make it so it's a joint point of pride rather than pride making stupid decisions for competition.

Or become an EK franchise if thats possible.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 am

Re: Turkey and Shengen Area. Turkey has complied with the visa-free requirements, and is lobbying, just like Bulgaria and Romania, for Shengen Area. Visa-free is a preliminary step to Shengen Area. How long admission to the Shengen Area will take is unknown... the issues appear to be more "rule of law" than migrants.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/18696 ... ith+Turkey
[Alert. The link is to Sofia News Agency]
 
Newflyer2018
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am

I'm still surprised the EY over the years hasn't added frequencies to its key destinations such LHR and BKK. For an airline the size of EY it should 5 daily instead of the 3 at the moment, I remember a while back EY bought LHR slots from Jet Airways and leased it back to them so getting the slots isn't an issue.

EK os operating 7 daily (6 normally) to LHR, 3x LGW 1x STN
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am

airway1 wrote:
What surprises me with Etihad they haven’t improved their product from Kuwait. You can’t charge prices at Emirates and Qatar level and fly the 320 to Kuwait. Kuwait should be part of a strategy to funnel pax to Asia, Europe and US. Emirates flies 6 dailies using 777 and 380 while Qatar uses the 788, 350 and 777 on most of the 9 dailies.

Kuwait could be a focus city for them as the local carriers aren’t able to handle the demand.


They do not have the rights. In 2008 EK wanted to operate fifth freedom flights from Kuwait but their request was rejected. This was a time when Jazeera Airways was using DXB as a second hub, so Dubai Airports responded by cutting flights of Jazeera to all destinations excluding KWI. A few months later FZ was launched.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

Newflyer2018 wrote:
I'm still surprised the EY over the years hasn't added frequencies to its key destinations such LHR and BKK. For an airline the size of EY it should 5 daily instead of the 3 at the moment, I remember a while back EY bought LHR slots from Jet Airways and leased it back to them so getting the slots isn't an issue.

EK os operating 7 daily (6 normally) to LHR, 3x LGW 1x STN


I'm not sure of EY's departure and arrival banks, but perhaps 3 flights is enough for them. They've significantly increased capacity with aircraft upgauges.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:
.... one of the biggest and most famous airlines in the world ... or a perennial runner up...

Big, and famous, at present. Runner up at present. Two of the three applecarts are already upset, and the third is top-heavy and wobbling.
I'm sure there's an active internal debate within the AD Invest. Auth., which is where the decision will be made, that weighs the combination of AUH and EY vs. the alternatives. I think ADIA will try to "facilitate" the entry of EY and 9W into an alliance (SkyTeam, *A, and OW, in that order) so that AD, AUH, and EY preserve their distinct identity and ROI on sunk cost (with more WBs to come).


Imagine the increase in efficiencies if EK and EY were working together against all comers, instead of against each other. Maybe they could turn Etihad into an executive airline, serving the whims and fancies of the ultra rich and famous with EK operating pretty much as they are...minus the showers but adding the smaller EY aircraft to give Emirates more versatility. You could keep DXB as the UAE's major long haul international hub and AUH could serve as a regional/executive hub.

Regardless of what they do, EY's model just isn't going to work and EK is getting hurt as the competition catches up. Both have to make major moves to stay relevant, but whatever they choose, the best option...in my opinion...starts with them working together.
Last edited by JoeCanuck on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What the...?
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
It wouldn't really be fair to split the ownership because EK is 3x the size of EY, and EK has worked much harder and been way more careful with expansion, spending etc. whereas EY has been reckless and lost (and keeps losing) money.

Follow the money, and it makes more sense.
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Planesmart wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:
It wouldn't really be fair to split the ownership because EK is 3x the size of EY, and EK has worked much harder and been way more careful with expansion, spending etc. whereas EY has been reckless and lost (and keeps losing) money.

Follow the money, and it might make more sense.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Whichever strategy ADIA selects... they must do something to remedy the ski jump P&L.
 
xwb777
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

For all those saying EK and EY could merge together or as per the reply stating that Emirates could use Etihad's smaller aircraft. Lets not forget that Emirates have Flydubai that is covering the narrowbody needed operations.

Flydubai B737MAX9 and MAX10 will play a big role for EK in the future.
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2709
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:05 am

JoeCanuck wrote:
Imagine the increase in efficiencies if EK and EY were working together against all comers, instead of against each other. Maybe they could turn Etihad into an executive airline, serving the whims and fancies of the ultra rich and famous with EK operating pretty much as they are...minus the showers but adding the smaller EY aircraft to give Emirates more versatility. You could keep DXB as the UAE's major long haul international hub and AUH could serve as a regional/executive hub.

Regardless of what they do, EY's model just isn't going to work and EK is getting hurt as the competition catches up. Both have to make major moves to stay relevant, but whatever they choose, the best option...in my opinion...starts with them working together.


I know I'm not the only one but I've been saying for years that some sort of EK-EY combo must happen. viewtopic.php?t=582619

I was thinking it would be at DWC, which would allow space for a bigger airline, but conditions should force combination sooner than that.
EK could, for example, use EY to build out a 4th hub wave at DXB - there should be capacity for that given some slack, presumably, outside the hub waves.
I'd see EY base all of its large aircraft - 19 77W's and 10 A380's - at DXB, along with a good portion of its 787/A330 fleet.
EK would then use the large EY aircraft to upgauge routes and/or add frequency across the combined operation. Some of the smaller WB's could replace FlyDubai ops, open up new destinations like Koh Samui, Medan, Surabaya - and would "right-size" marginally-performing points for which EK has ordered the 78X.
With greater feed over DXB at both ends, and with more frequency options at big O&D points, yields could increase across existing itineraries and previously non-viable points could be served over DXB.
It would be especially valuable for the DXB hub to have access to all/most EY slots at bilateral- or otherwise-constrained points like LHR, Australia, and India.
Operational efficiencies could be had via upgauging to A380's for services like Chicago where EK currently uses 77W's and the two compete for basically the same 6th freedom pax.
Given that EY is losing $100/pax right now, it could offer a nice chauffered ride from DXB to Abu Dhabi for premium pax from destinations no longer served out of AUH.

Meanwhile EY could retain some 787/A330 and NB's at AUH to service important point-point markets that the rulers and their pals probably don't want cut (NYC, LHR, CDG, SYD, SIN). As needed, Flydubai could supplement service for expat workers by transferring some flights from DWC/DXB to AUH.

Economically that makes the most sense to me. All depends on the whims of few rulers though.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am

Matt6461 wrote:
All depends on the whims of Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan though.


Fixed that for you. ;)
Nothing will happpen that Sheik Khalifa does not want to happen.
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2709
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:
All depends on the whims of Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan though.


Fixed that for you. ;)
Nothing will happpen that Sheik Khalifa does not want to happen.


Mostly but the Maktoun clan matters a great deal as well - specifically their appetite for moving EY losses to their liabilities. Presumably any EY/EK consolidation over Dubai would offload losses, not just airline.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm

High speed rail between Abu Dhabi and Dubai would be the last non political impediment to combining the airlines. After that, as has been pointed out, all that is needed is the will of the leaders.
What the...?
 
ytz
Posts: 3374
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:31 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm

JoeCanuck wrote:
High speed rail between Abu Dhabi and Dubai would be the last non political impediment to combining the airlines. After that, as has been pointed out, all that is needed is the will of the leaders.


This.

The smartest and most optimal solution is a merger and move to DWC, with high speed rail servicing all of coastal UAE from Abu Dhabi to Ras-Al-Khaimah. Would cost them $10-12 billion to build the 270 km. Would absolutely transform the UAE. Heck, this already have an outfit to build the rail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad_Rail

But this being the UAE, I doubt egos will let this happen. Instead, they are gunning for shiny, but infeasible:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/hyperlo ... -2020.html
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:16 pm

ytz wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:
High speed rail between Abu Dhabi and Dubai would be the last non political impediment to combining the airlines. After that, as has been pointed out, all that is needed is the will of the leaders.


This.

The smartest and most optimal solution is a merger and move to DWC, with high speed rail servicing all of coastal UAE from Abu Dhabi to Ras-Al-Khaimah. Would cost them $10-12 billion to build the 270 km. Would absolutely transform the UAE. Heck, this already have an outfit to build the rail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad_Rail

But this being the UAE, I doubt egos will let this happen. Instead, they are gunning for shiny, but infeasible:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/hyperlo ... -2020.html


Just regular, old, reliable high speed rail would be more than sufficient for their needs...though while still shiny, they aren't the shiniest things ever, anymore. If the rulers of Abu Dhabi and Dubai would stop throwing their toys out of the pram, they could be pretty much unstoppable.
What the...?
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 14588
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 am

ytz wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:
High speed rail between Abu Dhabi and Dubai would be the last non political impediment to combining the airlines. After that, as has been pointed out, all that is needed is the will of the leaders.


This.

The smartest and most optimal solution is a merger and move to DWC, with high speed rail servicing all of coastal UAE from Abu Dhabi to Ras-Al-Khaimah. Would cost them $10-12 billion to build the 270 km. Would absolutely transform the UAE. Heck, this already have an outfit to build the rail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad_Rail

But this being the UAE, I doubt egos will let this happen. Instead, they are gunning for shiny, but infeasible:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/hyperlo ... -2020.html

For both Emirates that is the wisest. One could even move that nearby oil facility and expand towards (into?) Abu Dhabi giving EY it's own entrance and perhaps another possible runway or two.

Abu Dhabi would have to fund much of the groundwork as Dubai doesn't have enough funds today.

Move EY to DWC with rail and a new terminal. Have FlyDubai move over first to feed EY, with work going to build a huge EK ready terminal. Then move EK over.

This only works if Abu Dhabi funds much of the transition and EK runs the combined airlines. Otherwise, forget it.


Since we're doing an alternative universe, can we also build a Disney park right at the Abu Dhabi/Dubai border with the parks and hotels in Dubai that serve alcohol and the majic kingdom in Abu Dhabi? Yeah, I'm ignoring myself and the runway noise impacts.... But one can dream...


Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
JoeCanuck
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 am

lightsaber wrote:


Since we're doing an alternative universe, can we also build a Disney park right at the Abu Dhabi/Dubai border with the parks and hotels in Dubai that serve alcohol and the majic kingdom in Abu Dhabi? Yeah, I'm ignoring myself and the runway noise impacts.... But one can dream...


Lightsaber


There's probably a better chance of getting Disney into N.Korea than getting EY and EK to work together.
What the...?
 
vadodara
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Etihad CEO lays out restructuring plans

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 am

Move EY to DWC with rail and a new terminal. Have FlyDubai move over first to feed EY, with work going to build a huge EK ready terminal. Then move EK over.


There is a precedence: once Burj got renamed, Sheikh Zayed wrote the cheque.

Rename DWC to Sheikh Zayed Intl and perhaps he gets interested.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos