shamrock350

Re: Irish 7/18: Heatwave madness!

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 pm

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Norwegian to cancel services between Cork and Providence due to low demand

https://twitter.com/AvGeekJames/status/ ... 6050143232

The winter suspension was announced a month or two ago. It’s still set to continue next summer as planned isn’t it?

It’s funny to see Cork Airport and Norwegian celebrating the first anniversary of ORK-PVD and its success when it’s quite obvious to everyone else the route is struggling.

Cork was used and abused by Norwegian, Dublin seems to getting all the business which is to be expected but even that looks like the best of a bad lot for them at the moment. All that media attention, political support, rock bottom fares and a reported excellent service but load factors remain in the 60-65% region?!

I dont get all this hate for Norwegian from the EI fan boys to be honest. They came in and provided much needed competition when the legacy carriers were creeping the TATL fares up. Since Norwegians arrivals fares have come down. Also they gave ORK a TATL service where none existed. If the Cork lot dont support it then they loose it. Where was EI for the last number of years when ORK wanted/needed a service? Use it or loose it. As for political,media hype its what they all do EI included. I have yet to hear one complaint about the DUB-SWF service from friends that have used it. Its far from funny if they loose indeed it would be tragic for those that rely on the service or intended to use it.

Hold up, let’s get it together before you want to throw labels around. Where did I mention Aer Lingus? When was the last I defended Aer Lingus and what on Earth is this obsession with the so called fan club?! If any airline on this thread gets regular (and often fair) criticism it’s Aer Lingus so let’s not go down that route.

I’m talking about Norwegian and Norwegian only, the situation with them is clear for all to see but nowhere on this forum have I personally wished for their failure or demise either in Ireland or in the wider market. My only issue with Norwegian is how sustainable they are and if it does fail, what long term damage is done to Cork Airport and it’s future potential in the transatlantic market. The Cork region was clearly used to their advantage and have ended up short changed in the long run.

It’s all too easy for some on here to blame the “Cork people” and that old “use it or loose it” mantra but Norwegian’s business model is flawed for places like Cork, connecting regional airports, chasing the lowest yield on long haul has disaster written all over it.

I have no doubt they have excellent service, I’ve flown them numerous times within Europe and quite happily place them as one of the best, head and shoulders above the likes of FR, EI and W6 but clearly something is not working for them at the moment in Ireland, most definitely in Cork and likely at SNN and to a lesser extent Dublin.

As for Aer Lingus, haven’t flown them in months.
Ryanair gets most of my business these days, out of 24 flights this year, Ryanair has had 20 of them! Well, 21 after this mornings LTN-KUN jaunt.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:01 pm

CX and possibly HU appear to be putting Finnair under a little bit of pressure. Not unexpected give there is a lot of competition to China now.

As for DY at Cork, hopefully it lasts but the airport are doing everything to make it work such as free parking. SWF may have worked better. Belfast hasn't exactly worked out great.

Skyblue39

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Per YYZ:

As Toronto Pearson’s passenger traffic continues to grow, we’re using our Infield Terminal (IFT) gates to provide a more comfortable departure and arrival experience for some airlines at peak times.

- Aer Lingus
- Azores
- Condor
- Icelandair
- Primera
- Ukraine International
- WOW

OA260

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Hold up, let’s get it together before you want to throw labels around. Where did I mention Aer Lingus? When was the last I defended Aer Lingus and what on Earth is this obsession with the so called fan club?! If any airline on this thread gets regular (and often fair) criticism it’s Aer Lingus so let’s not go down that route.

I was not pointing that specifically at you it was a general comment but sorry if it touched a nerve with you. I applaud Norwegian for at least trying it and the people of Cork have had the chance to see if it works. I dont think there is any damage in reality because if an airline can think it will make money on TATL out of ORK then they will do it. Of course if Norwegian try it and their low cost base does not work then it would be clear that ORK just does not work. Either the demand is not there or they are not supporting it. It will be interesting to see if EI do indeed look at ORK when the new aircraft arrive or if they think there is no money in it.

planemanofnz

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
CX and possibly HU appear to be putting Finnair under a little bit of pressure. Not unexpected give there is a lot of competition to China now.

I'd hardly call a 2x weekly non-stop Mainalnd Chinese and 4x weekly non-stop HKG service 'a lot of competition.' IMO, there's a lot more potential.

Cheers,

C.

LH982

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 am

eirflot wrote:
People in cork are a fussy lot. They wan't everything, get it and then don't support it. Cityjet are another example.

I don't think a point to point Atlantic route was ever going to work for Cork, but I believe one with a US hub will.

EI will probably try it when they get the right aircraft. I would also see it as a really interesting toe in the Atlantic for JB, who I am sure could make BOS or JFK work.

Yes it was a bit of a Trojan horse from Norwegian, but I'm sure they would keep it if it was running at 90%. As usual, the politicians haven't covered themselves in glory.

LH982

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:16 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:

I'd have thought the amount of transfer traffic via HEL to Asia is tiny compared to the ME and big EU hubs. Do Finnair do any advertising, as public and agency awareness seems to be dismal.

OA260

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:28 am

LH982 wrote:

I'd have thought the amount of transfer traffic via HEL to Asia is tiny compared to the ME and big EU hubs. Do Finnair do any advertising, as public and agency awareness seems to be dismal.

AY ex DUB has always been minimal thats why it was axed years ago only to be reintroduced in more recent times. They do advertise and push their consol fares via Tour Operators but they will never have the market share that EK TK and to a lesser extent EY have. So really not big news and their market share out of Ireland has not changed much since CX HU have arrived. Even though recently they have some of the cheapest fares most people I know prefer EK because of the better product.

HELyes

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 pm

LH982 wrote:

DUB isn't any huge market for AY but they can offer short total travel times to NE Asia via HEL, like DUB-HKG 13h25min and DUB-NRT 13h40min, the HEL-NRT leg both on AY or JAL.

The total passengers numbers on DUB-HEL grew 18% last year, HEL-Asia had two digit numbers.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:30 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

I'd hardly call a 2x weekly non-stop Mainalnd Chinese and 4x weekly non-stop HKG service 'a lot of competition.' IMO, there's a lot more potential.

Cheers,

C.

I think the comment was misunderstood. Yes demand for direct but one stop is very competitive at the minute and AY are cutting capacity. DY have most point to point so unless AY can gain more market they could be gone in 12 months. The return to DUB was to gain Asian traffic.

User001

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:01 pm

You would have thought AY could carve a niche for Japanese traffic. That’s what a lot of the U.K. connections are despite an abundance of far eastern carriers.

S0Y

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:37 pm

AY could start by advertising. How do they expect to win market share if nobody in Ireland knows about them outside AV circles

Eirules

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know whether there has been progress on a JL flight to TYO? Last summer, JL officials flew into DUB to meet with the DAA about a potential new service - it'd be great to see it happen.

See: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkzvbU8gPIN ... =213012399.

Cheers,

C.

From September 2017:

Direct flights between Dublin and Tokyo are inevitable given the increased interaction between the two states, according to the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Frances Fitzgerald.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3238185

Well if she said it it must be true

Skyblue39

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:49 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think the comment was misunderstood. Yes demand for direct but one stop is very competitive at the minute and AY are cutting capacity. DY have most point to point so unless AY can gain more market they could be gone in 12 months. The return to DUB was to gain Asian traffic.

Can you please elaborate on the capacity cuts? Both flights to Helsinki today are A320 and the A321 is also appearing too...

Joelatbsl

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:05 am

A Carpatair F100 will arrive in Cork tomorrow with the Legia Warsaw football team on board for the Champions League qualifier game against Cork City FC on Tuesday:

http://championsleaguecharters.blogspot ... 10-11.html

JOEL

EI321

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:46 am

Video on Dublin airport opening in 1939.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... g-14879952

JAmie2k9

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Can you please elaborate on the capacity cuts? Both flights to Helsinki today are A320 and the A321 is also appearing too...

They have dropped some planned flights later this summer and over winter. I don't have the specifics to hand at this time.

S0Y wrote:
AY could start by advertising. How do they expect to win market share if nobody in Ireland knows about them outside AV circles

Same old story, AY could appeal to younger travelers considering they have the price appeal.

OA260

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 am

Aer Lingus needs to brush up on its Irish-language skills

Sound Off: Sheelagh Coyle came across two examples of ungrammatical Irish on a flight

We were all seated, strapped in, ready for a flight from Dublin Airport to a European city with Aer Lingus recently. A male announcer addressed us. “Tá súil agam go raibh turas maith agaibh,” he says. If you’ve forgotten the Irish you learned in school, this translates as “I hope you had a good flight”. And all of us only about to take off.

So during the flight I asked one of the staff if I could speak to the person who made the announcement when he was free. I had written down what he had said and told him what he should have said, which was, “Tá súil agam go mbeidh turas maith agaibh” – I hope you have a good journey. I wondered had he read out the wrong notice and was that notice he had read for when we had landed. He said he had forgotten all the Irish he learned in school and the notice he read out was on a card, which he had received from his employers. He accepted that there may have been errors in his announcement. I suggested he tell his employer of the errors. But he said he wouldn’t dream of bringing it to their notice.

Then a few hours later, when we landed, another incorrect announcement followed. “Go raibh maith agat, a chairde,” a woman announced, which means thank you (singular) friends. There were a lot of us on the flight, so she should have read out, “Go raibh maith agaibh, a chairde”.

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/aer-l ... -1.3545689

Maybe time to make it pre recorded if people are worried that much or maybe time to scrap it .

Eirules

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:34 am

OA260 wrote:

Sound Off: Sheelagh Coyle came across two examples of ungrammatical Irish on a flight

We were all seated, strapped in, ready for a flight from Dublin Airport to a European city with Aer Lingus recently. A male announcer addressed us. “Tá súil agam go raibh turas maith agaibh,” he says. If you’ve forgotten the Irish you learned in school, this translates as “I hope you had a good flight”. And all of us only about to take off.

So during the flight I asked one of the staff if I could speak to the person who made the announcement when he was free. I had written down what he had said and told him what he should have said, which was, “Tá súil agam go mbeidh turas maith agaibh” – I hope you have a good journey. I wondered had he read out the wrong notice and was that notice he had read for when we had landed. He said he had forgotten all the Irish he learned in school and the notice he read out was on a card, which he had received from his employers. He accepted that there may have been errors in his announcement. I suggested he tell his employer of the errors. But he said he wouldn’t dream of bringing it to their notice.

Then a few hours later, when we landed, another incorrect announcement followed. “Go raibh maith agat, a chairde,” a woman announced, which means thank you (singular) friends. There were a lot of us on the flight, so she should have read out, “Go raibh maith agaibh, a chairde”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-styl ... -1.3545689

Maybe time to make it pre recorded if people are worried that much or maybe time to scrap it .

Crock of s**t. None of the foreigners on any Aer Lingus flight have a clue what it means and the same applies to many of the Irish passengers. And the poor non-Irish crew trying to do that announcement and murdering it. Just scrap it

HTCone

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 am

It’s a nice little touch for the tourists imo but I couldn’t give a fiddlers about the grammar, although my attitude to the language would be hostile and forcing everyone to learn it in school is archaic but that’s not an argument for here.

eirflot

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 am

Languages have never been an EI skill. Even in the good old days it was unusual if any member of staff had more than English and Irish! After all passenger needs are not high on the list of requirements

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am

I am totally in support of Irish being spoken on EI - it is the national language or Ireland, and EI is the flag carrier of Ireland.

Just as airport bodies like the DAA support the use of Irish within aviation, EI ought to too - I'd even suggest an Irish website.

:duck:

Cheers,

C.

shamrock350

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 pm

I’ve no issue with Irish being used, I’ve heard foreign passengers comment in pleasant surprise that Ireland still has its own language! It’s not vital but it’s a nice touch and it’s clearly company policy and company policy should be done properly.

I think pre recorded announcements are tacky and impersonal, on a recent flight from Hamburg with Ryanair the cabin crew barely spoke two words but played everything in English, German and then what I believe was Turkish! The only full announcement they did themselves was upon arrival.

Galwayman

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

OA260 wrote:

Then a few hours later, when we landed, another incorrect announcement followed. “Go raibh maith agat, a chairde,” a woman announced, which means thank you (singular) friends. There were a lot of us on the flight, so she should have read out, “Go raibh maith agaibh, a

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-styl ... -1.3545689

I’d rather hear Irish spoken badly than not at all, some gaelgoirs are so pedantic they’ll end up killing the language completely ....

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Someone should have checked to see if they had the correct spelling and grimmer when it was wrote down.

I think its a nice touch but you don't hear it on all flights.

eirflot

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm

"You don't hear it on all flights"
EI in a single sentence!

Skytrax

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Took my first TATL flight in many years with EI last week. Overall experience was average I'd say. On the DUB-JFK leg we were 30 mins late getting off the gate as the catering was delayed in arriving to the plane, which was surprising to say the least. The inflight service (in economy) was OK (my expectations of flights these days is low anyway). I was just grateful the IFE worked to be honest! The load factor was 98% I'd say, very few free seats.

On the return leg I had purchased EI lounge access in JFK. What a let down that was. As I walked in and presented my voucher the receptionist first words were "You have 2 hours here with this voucher". Nice to meet you too!. Far from a friendly greeting! The lounge itself is a real let down. Very few food offerings, the only hot option was Mushroom soup and the 3 worn lounge chairs have a view onto the airport approach roads. Not even an Apron view. The last time I flew EI into JFK was pre the JetBlue tie up and the lounge back then was in a different terminal and at least had views and was a fair bit bigger. I wont pay again for the lounge in JFK. I was a bit taken aback with how poor it was given the level of competition on the New York route these days. EI need to up their game there.
The flight home itself was again OK, with a ground stop put in place by the airport as we were taxing out due to a severe thunderstorm, which is fair enough, it added an hour to the journey. The flight was ok apart from a very abrupt flight attendant who was serving my aisle. When it was meal time she asked me if I wanted the pasta or the chicken, I said pasta and my co-traveler said chicken. She almost hurled the meal onto my tray and went off and then we discovered she had mixed up the trays. Later in the flight I asked her if it would be possible for my son to visit the flight deck when we landed in DUB, she very abruptly said no without even asking anyone. She just seemed in a bad mood from the get go. On landing, I again enquired about a flight deck visit and again was told it wasn't possible without any reason. To me she just couldn't be bothered checking with the pilots or lead FA. She was one of the older crew members too. The younger ones were much more friendly and chatty I noticed.

The passport control was very busy when we arrived. There was a young DAA guy directing people but the queue was large. I saw the e-gates free and just used them and was out on 10 seconds, they weren't being sold by the DAA guy much. However my son wasn't able to use them as he was under 18, which seems a bit daft to me, and had to queue with everyone else. If a person has a passport that is valid they should be able to use the e-gates regardless of age. Not sure what the thinking was there!.

Overall, would I fly EI again to the US?, probably not given all the other options out there. I'd also rather choose an airline which can offer Premium Economy even if that means using another hub or something. Will EI offer premium economy on the A321LR do you think? Being over 6ft tall means economy on long haul is my nemesis :-) EI offers nothing out of the ordinary at the moment and they need to do something about that JFK lounge.

alancostello

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Skytrax wrote:

The passport control was very busy when we arrived. There was a young DAA guy directing people but the queue was large. I saw the e-gates free and just used them and was out on 10 seconds, they weren't being sold by the DAA guy much. However my son wasn't able to use them as he was under 18, which seems a bit daft to me, and had to queue with everyone else. If a person has a passport that is valid they should be able to use the e-gates regardless of age. Not sure what the thinking was there!.

There's actually a reason your son couldn't use the e-gates, cameras struggle to discern facial features on children and very small faces, coupled with the fact that a child's face can change considerably in the 5 year period a passport is valid for, it's just better for a person to confirm identity, a machine just can't handle it

Skytrax

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

alancostello wrote:
Skytrax wrote:

There's actually a reason your son couldn't use the e-gates, cameras struggle to discern facial features on children and very small faces, coupled with the fact that a child's face can change considerably in the 5 year period a passport is valid for, it's just better for a person to confirm identity, a machine just can't handle it

Ah, thats makes sense alright, never thought of that. Cheers

Joelatbsl

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

A Belavia EMB-175 expected at Belfast tomorrow, arriving with the Dinamo Minsk football team for a Europa League qualifier at Derry City:

http://europaleaguecharters.blogspot.co ... -2018.html

OA260

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 am

City of Derry Airport issues apology to passengers after BMI flights to London cancelled on Friday

The City of Derry Airport has apologised to passengers who were affected by the cancellation of a number of BMI flights from Derry to London on Friday.

The Derry News has been contacted by a number of people who were affected by the cancellation, one of whom had been due to attend a birthday party in London.

The passenger said that people had boarded the 7am flight, and had to sit on the plane for two hours before being informed that it would not be taking off due to a technical issue, which also affected a later flight to London from Derry the same day.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/city-derr ... day/235792

Galwayman

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:18 pm

EI really need the A220, would reopen Scandinavia, Warsaw , Oporto, Copenhagen etc and new markets possibly Lagos , KEF, Halifax, Montreal etc .... such a beautiful aircraft

JetBlue are getting 60,,,,EI needs to move fast

kaitak

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Will Airbus offer a cockpit that will offer commonality with the existing Airbua fleet? ( or will they offer a short conversion course from the existing C series cockpit ?). That would be of interest not just to EI, but to many other Airbus operators .

HTCone

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm

kaitak wrote:
Will Airbus offer a cockpit that will offer commonality with the existing Airbua fleet? .

Unlikely. Entire FBW system, control laws etc would need to be totally redesigned at a cost of billions and the aircraft would need complete recertification.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Galwayman wrote:
EI really need the A220, would reopen Scandinavia, Warsaw , Oporto, Copenhagen etc and new markets possibly Lagos , KEF, Halifax, Montreal etc .... such a beautiful aircraft

JetBlue are getting 60,,,,EI needs to move fast

Remember they had the A319 and got rid of them because the cost difference to A320. While the A220 probally has a better cost, I'm not sure is enough to add a second short haul aircraft unless the cockpit was made compatible with existing airbus which is unlikely.

Galwayman

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Maybe EI doesn’t need so many EI A320s when the FR transfer deal is in place

ATR42/72 Stobart
A220/A321LR/AA320/A330 EI mainline

If they can accommodate a few 757s , the can easily Deal with 10 plus A220s

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Maybe EI doesn’t need so many EI A320s when the FR transfer deal is in place

ATR42/72 Stobart
A220/A321LR/AA320/A330 EI mainline

If they can accommodate a few 757s , the can easily Deal with 10 plus A220s

The 757s are contracted out and the deal was temporary hence it was accepted by unions and pilots. The A220s would need to be an in house operation and it comes down to the cost v benefit of two different short haul fleets and potentially different crewing if they cannot agree and I believe its what will make or break such a decision. Short haul is profitable now but that is partly due to the tight fleet and them maximizing revenue whch is why there has been drops such as Warsaw and moving it to the Med for example.

I do think if Stobart hold onto the contract in a few years, jets need to be part of the EI requirements and A220 would be ideal.

Galwayman

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Yes either Stobart or EI mainline or ASL , bring on the A220s ... perfect for the DUB hub ... so many opportunities

alancostello

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:50 am

The A220-100 and -300 are not regional jets, they’re capable of ranges equalling the A320, with both variants over 100 seats(the cut off for the contract with Stobart/EI Regional), if they’re to be purchased they’ll be EI mainline and offering thinner routes or increased frequency on existing routes.

EISHN

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 pm

From what I’ve read on the forums the C Series/A220 have great economics and operators seem quite happy. Perhaps the efficiency of the aircraft would help offset the cost of integrating a new type into the fleet. EI dropped the A319 because operating costs were so similar to the A320 but with fewer seats to sell. That would not be the case with the A220.
The aircraft could
-expand the network with new destinations in the Nordics and eastern block (especially WAW)
-expanded network allows for more potential connecting passengers, especially with the A321LR coming on next year
-increase frequency to existing destinations and helping to secure smaller business markets
-help maintain a presence in markets like BFS, ORK and SNN, and maybe Allie expanded services at Knock to sun destinations

OA260

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Talks between FR and Pilots ( Union ) have just broken down. Strike to go ahead tomorrow.

shamrock350

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 am

Bad news for CityJet...

Brussels Airlines wants rid of the Sukhoi Superjet

https://www.bruzz.be/economie/brussels- ... 2018-07-11

With the help of Google Translate it seems Brussels are eager to stress it's a good aircraft with no more technical issues than any other but when there is an issue it takes longer to solve due to inexperience with the aircraft. Even if CityJet manage to find another aircraft more to Brussels liking, they'll still have a fleet of Sukhoi's with no work!?

alancostello

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Bad news for CityJet...

With the help of Google Translate it seems Brussels are eager to stress it's a good aircraft with no more technical issues than any other but when there is an issue it takes longer to solve due to inexperience with the aircraft. Even if CityJet manage to find another aircraft more to Brussels liking, they'll still have a fleet of Sukhoi's with no work!?

As far as I remember they paid next to nothing for them so I’m sure they could offer them very attractively to another airline if needs be, or even just use them for charter work.

EI321

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am

The superjets wont be able to use London city airport until early 2019 at the earliest.

OA260

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am

EI321 wrote:
The superjets wont be able to use London city airport until early 2019 at the earliest.

Shame they cant use them now I see G-JOTR is doing a lot of the LCY flights at present.

-----

Passengers delayed from disembarking Aer Lingus plane in Dublin after crew takes ill during flight

The flight landed in Dublin on Wednesday afternoon.

A number of Aer Lingus crew members were assessed at Dublin Airport on Wednesday after they became ill on board a flight from San Francisco to Dublin.

It is understood that seven crew members felt ill while on board the flight, but the pilots were not affected and were able to land the flight as normal.

Flight EI 146 arrived in Dublin without an issue, but the staff on board were kept on the plane as a precaution. Passengers were also kept on the plane until the HSE assessed the situation for a possible public health risk.

In a statement to JOE, a spokesperson for Aer Lingus said: “Aer Lingus can confirm that a number of cabin crew aboard the EI146 flight from San Francisco reported feeling unwell during the flight, and as a precautionary measure, guests were not disembarked until HSE assessed the situation as per normal protocol.

www.joe.ie/news/ambulance-called-aer-li ... ght-632792

---

Residents to protest against new €320m runway at Dublin Airport

A group of residents are to protest against plans to develop the €320m runway at Dublin Airport during an information meeting in St Margarets GAA club tomorrow.

The move comes after 20 farmers and property owners living along Kilreesk lane in St Margaret’s north Dublin lost their right to appeal a High Court decision to the Supreme Court yesterday (Tuesday) in a bid to stop the runway from being built.

The new runway, which is due to be finished by 2021, has been planned for since the late 1960s and has featured in subsequent county development plans.

www.independent.ie/business/farming/rur ... 04152.html

leghorn

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Bad news for CityJet...

A few CRJ900/CRJ1000 with Atmosphere interior but only if purchase price notably cheaper than CS100/A220.

Cityjet will have problems leasing those planes with no ringing endorsement from Brussels.
Rather than leaving them idle they could set up some routes from Dublin or Cork themselves although that is really not what they want to be doing and it won't ever be a path to an outrageous fortune.

CFNFlyer

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am

OA260 wrote:

A group of residents are to protest against plans to develop the €320m runway at Dublin Airport during an information meeting in St Margarets GAA club tomorrow.

The move comes after 20 farmers and property owners living along Kilreesk lane in St Margaret’s north Dublin lost their right to appeal a High Court decision to the Supreme Court yesterday (Tuesday) in a bid to stop the runway from being built.

The new runway, which is due to be finished by 2021, has been planned for since the late 1960s and has featured in subsequent county development plans.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farm ... 04152.html

Whats the hold up with the new runway at the moment? I thought once the court cases were thrown out at the start of the year it was all systems go but they haven't even released the construction tender yet, a 2021 finish date is looking optimistic at the rate things are progressing.

I know there are issues with the noise regulator and planning conditions but would have assumed they could be sorted out during construction

JAmie2k9

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm

CFNFlyer wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Whats the hold up with the new runway at the moment? I thought once the court cases were thrown out at the start of the year it was all systems go but they haven't even released the construction tender yet, a 2021 finish date is looking optimistic at the rate things are progressing.

I know there are issues with the noise regulator and planning conditions but would have assumed they could be sorted out during construction

Construction contracts will be signed towards end of summer and work start by end of year.

mast2407
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
CFNFlyer wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Construction contracts will be signed towards end of summer and work start by end of year.

I think my understanding is that prep works are already in progress, things like diverting roads and site access and so on. I think when works begin, it’s actually on the runway, not the other stuff that the runway needs.

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:46 am

Shannon Airport On Track For Busiest Year In Over A Decade

Half-year figures for Shannon Airport for 2018 reveal a 6.6% increase in passenger numbers, putting the airport on track to have grown passenger numbers by almost 30% by year end from what they were prior to separation from the state airports’ group.

The surge across the first six months also suggests that 2018 will be Shannon’s best year as an independent entity outside of 2014 when double digit growth was achieved.

Similar to 2014, the strong performance in the first half of this year is driven by additional and improved services. These include a new Toronto flight launched early last month with Air Canada and new services to Barcelona-Reus, Bristol and Liverpool with Ryanair, while the airline also increased Manchester frequencies.

www.hospitalityireland.com/shannon-airp ... cade/62135

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos