mast2407
Topic Author

Irish 7/18: Heatwave madness!

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Greetings and welcome to the July thread!

Last month saw historic flights from Dublin to Hong Kong with Cathay, and Beijing with Hainan.

Other points from last months roundup:
Delayed delivery of A321lr’s to EI
Air Canada returns to Shannon
Lufthansa retiming it’s morning flights to Frankfurt
EI looking to the east as well as west
Stobart Air to face competition for PSO’s
Shannon and United are together 20 years
EI and FR call for ban on early morning ban on alcohol sales in DUB
ORK gets a deal with Madrid and Tourism Ireland

Stay safe kids, wear sun cream & happy heatwave!

Embajador3

Re: Irish 7/18: Heatwave madness!

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:03 pm

Isn't it hycocritical on FR's behalf to demand that alcohol sales are banned at the airport, when they have no problem with selling them onboard their planes? (Can't speak for EI, since I am not familiar with their onboard policy on alcohol sales).
Flying Together

OA260

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Embajador3 wrote:
Isn't it hycocritical on FR's behalf to demand that alcohol sales are banned at the airport, when they have no problem with selling them onboard their planes? (Can't speak for EI, since I am not familiar with their onboard policy on alcohol sales).

Indeed I see your point and maybe FR would need to adhere to a one drink per passenger policy before a certain time but one just has to be in Dublin Airport at 4am and the drinks flowing unlimited so by the time its boarding some are making a mess of themselves. There is a problem no doubt about it and to an extent its very much a culture thing here in Ireland and the UK. There is a fine balance though but there needs to be better enforcement of intoxicated passengers by both airports and airlines. I have seen passengers allowed to board flights on both FR and EI who should have been denied boarding by gate staff. On a recent EI flight a gang of Irish rugby supporters were warned after disrupting the safety video 2-3 times. They should have returned to gate and offloaded them with a zero tolerance policy. Its hard sometimes for the crew and pressures of missing slots etc but when it makes other passengers feel uncomfortable and indeed unsafe then a tough stance needs to be across the board.

mast2407
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 pm

This is the previous thread from June for your perusal:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1395511&start=250

eirflot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:03 am

I am always curious when our culture gets blamed - I am irish and I don't drink at 04.00am in the morning. Don't think any of my friends do either. Instead of blaming culture why not blame parenting?
Greed and profit have a lot to do with it and especially nowhere better than Dublin Airport (for that matter any airport)
Airports and airlines should not be obliged to police our conduct, that is for ourselves to manage

Ticketyboo

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm

eirflot wrote:
I am always curious when our culture gets blamed - I am irish and I don't drink at 04.00am in the morning. Don't think any of my friends do either. Instead of blaming culture why not blame parenting?
Greed and profit have a lot to do with it and especially nowhere better than Dublin Airport (for that matter any airport)
Airports and airlines should not be obliged to police our conduct, that is for ourselves to manage

Add to that the ability now for travellers to pay for airline lounge access with complimentary bar, including EI, where the 'guests' now feel obliged to drink the equivalent of their access fee to feel that they got value. There once was a time when you were rewarded to frequent flying by having 'complimentary access' to a lounge and it was a relaxing place to be but now you run the gauntlet of hen/stag parties and other well lubricated individuals - the airlines and their greed have every bit as much to answer.

eirflot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 pm

I don't remember seeing drunks or any rowdyness in the LH or LX lounges, even when full of Russians or Ukrainians
When Gold Circle was around the lounges were busy but at all like now
As you said earlier Aer Club is a mess but I will admit that most frequent flyer programmes are taking a battering
Loyalty has very little value these days

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Add to that the ability now for travellers to pay for airline lounge access with complimentary bar, including EI, where the 'guests' now feel obliged to drink the equivalent of their access fee to feel that they got value. There once was a time when you were rewarded to frequent flying by having 'complimentary access' to a lounge and it was a relaxing place to be but now you run the gauntlet of hen/stag parties and other well lubricated individuals - the airlines and their greed have every bit as much to answer.

They type that cause diversions are not the type who would pay for lounge access. While you are right about the value aspect I just don't know how you managed to draw this conclusion. I mean groups of lads in 20s, hens, stages are surly not common in lounges (or at least ones I visit).

There is a good reason why airlines like FR and LS have the problem more frequently and unlike FR, LS do not sell drink before 08.00. Reality is gate staff are just passing the problem rather than dealing with it. Its obvious in most cases if there will be disruptive passengers on-board and a warning in most cases before boarding could go along way.

Some prospective is also needed as well, out of over 270,000 flights from Dublin a year you can count on one hand the number that have been forced to divert.

eirflot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Didn't say I saw stags, hens, etc. In any lounge. Did say there were lots of people using the lounge - especially when access can be purchased.

I agree there is lots of book passing these days - we are a nation devoid of the accountability and responsibility genes but gosh can we whip up a crisis in the blink of an eye!

I miss when air travel was somewhat civilised!!

eirflot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Didn't say I saw stags, hens, etc. In any lounge. Did say there were lots of people using the lounge - especially when access can be purchased.

I agree there is lots of book passing these days - we are a nation devoid of the accountability and responsibility genes but gosh can we whip up a crisis in the blink of an eye!

I miss when air travel was somewhat civilised!!

OA260

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 am

Result of Ryanair pilots' strike ballot due

Ryanair pilots based in Ireland will today reveal the result of their ballot for strike action, amid frustration over the failure to reach agreement with the airline on issues including seniority and processes for promotions and annual leave.

www.rte.ie/news/2018/0703/975926-ryanair_pilots/

—-

Aer Lingus are giving away €10,000 worth of flights in Dublin on Wednesday

This 4th of July, Aer Lingus is celebrating the Irish and North American connection and the airline’s largest ever transatlantic network by giving away flights up to the value of €10,000 to the land of stars and stripes.

You can get in the game by playing a transatlantic take on the cult classic, Connect Four. To win seats stateside, take on the giant Aer Lingus ‘Connect the 4th’ challenge, running throughout the day on Wednesday 4th July at South King Street, Dublin 2.

www.buzz.ie/news/aer-lingus-flights-290677

—-

'It just seems unnecessary' - travellers faced with massive queues at Dublin passport control

PASSENGERS HAVE BEEN complaining about the perceived unnecessarily lengthy waiting times for passport control at Dublin Airport.

Earlier today, a number of passengers complained via social media that the queues being seen were unacceptably long.

Passport control at Dublin Airport has only recently been taken over from the gardaí by the Department of Justice body the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).

www.thejournal.ie/passport-control-queu ... 5-Jul2018/

—-

'Bedlam' at Dublin Airport with delays for those flying to the US due to IT issues

There is an issue with pre-clearance due to IT problems

People flying to the US from Dublin Airport are experiencing delays this morning due to IT issues.

The US Customs and Border Protection are having issues which is slowing down pre-clearance in numerous airports.

www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/bedl ... e-14858651

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 am

OA260 wrote:

'It just seems unnecessary' - travellers faced with massive queues at Dublin passport control

PASSENGERS HAVE BEEN complaining about the perceived unnecessarily lengthy waiting times for passport control at Dublin Airport.

Earlier today, a number of passengers complained via social media that the queues being seen were unacceptably long.

Passport control at Dublin Airport has only recently been taken over from the gardaí by the Department of Justice body the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).

http://www.thejournal.ie/passport-contr ... 5-Jul2018/

—-

Do the Gardaí (Garda National Immigration Bureau) still manage immigration services at other Irish airports? Is it just DUB where it's managed by INIS?

eirflot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 am

The delays have little to do with who owns passport control and more to do with gross mismanagement of personnel
I don't ever remember seeing more than four booths open at any time

It bloody disgraceful

VFRonTop

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm

eirflot wrote:
The delays have little to do with who owns passport control and more to do with gross mismanagement of personnel
I don't ever remember seeing more than four booths open at any time

It bloody disgraceful

in 2017 10 million passengers travelled to or from the UK. If Ireland had the same approach to the CTA as the UK that would have a substantial impact on the number of passengers that have to travel through passport control in Dublin.

OA260

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Ryanair pilots balloted by Irish Air Line Pilots' Association have voted overwhelmingly to back strike action in their dispute over terms and conditions.

Pilot unions have claim Ryanair is not taking them or their demands seriously and that progress on improving pay and conditions for staff is too slow.

www.rte.ie/news/2018/0703/975926-ryanair_pilots/

leghorn

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair pilots balloted by Irish Air Line Pilots' Association have voted overwhelmingly to back strike action in their dispute over terms and conditions.

Pilot unions have claim Ryanair is not taking them or their demands seriously and that progress on improving pay and conditions for staff is too slow.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0703/975926-ryanair_pilots/

There is scant information about what is going on here.
As far as I can discern somewhere over 100 pilots who have signed up to IALPA supposedly want Seniority so that they get to pick and chose when they have holidays and base transfers ahead of non-Union members. I don't think 100 pilots are the majority or anywhere near it for Irish bases.
I don't think Ryanair want to present the other side of the story as the Union are looking for a platform to complain about the Intolerable cruetly of this capitalist pig company to any open ear.

I predict that going forward strikes will be balloted and results announced on the day when passenger figures and financial results are announced just to steal the headlines and hurt the Pilots' employer.

An earlier announcement today is that passenger numbers were up 7% again but that is drowned out by the hue and cry here.
Last edited by leghorn on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:35 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

—-

Do the Gardaí (Garda National Immigration Bureau) still manage immigration services at other Irish airports? Is it just DUB where it's managed by INIS?

INS also manage Cork and I suspect Shannon as well. Not sure about NOC/KIR etc.

eirflot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

If I understand correctly the only reason Ireland does not adhere to the CTA arrangement is because our airports don't have the correct set up ( and that with a 600m new terminal in Dublin)

Then again domestic travel requires a passport! So who knows really... !!!

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
eirflot wrote:
If I understand correctly the only reason Ireland does not adhere to the CTA arrangement is because our airports don't have the correct set up ( and that with a 600m new terminal in Dublin)

Then again domestic travel requires a passport! So who knows really... !!!

During mid 1990s Government changed legislation requiring all foreign nationals traveling in CTA to be checked at DUB/ORK/SNN.

Aer Lingus only require photo ID for CTA citizens.

eirflot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:56 pm

Do Irish and British citizens come under foreign nationals rulling? I believe we are talking about passport controls and not identification at check in!

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 pm

eirflot wrote:
Do Irish and British citizens come under foreign nationals rulling? I believe we are talking about passport controls and not identification at check in!

Technically Irish/British are not subject passport/ID checks but how can you split Irish/British/Polish/Americans arriving on the same flight hence everybody is subject to checks.

richcandy

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:38 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Technically Irish/British are not subject passport/ID checks but how can you split Irish/British/Polish/Americans arriving on the same flight hence everybody is subject to checks.

Are passengers that fly DUB-LHR made to go through passport/ID checks on arrival at LHR or are they treated like UK domestic passengers?

OA260

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm

richcandy wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Are passengers that fly DUB-LHR made to go through passport/ID checks on arrival at LHR or are they treated like UK domestic passengers?

Treated as UK Domestic . In LHR T2/T5 they made special channels for CTA arrivals . T5 was made after it was built due to BMI being bought by BA and thus using T5 and T2 was designed as EI was going to be a major tenant there. I was once on a flight with someone who was involved with the project at T5. Irish immigration will only get tighter as time goes on and the CTA may not survive between the UK and Republic of Ireland. The Irish also seem not to want to join Schengen which is probably a sensible choice given its got more holes in it then a sieve!

VFRonTop

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Under the letter of the CTA (not the spirit, in my opinion) only UK and Irish citizens are not required to be subjected to passport/ID checks, The Irish government has chosen to make passengers prove they are entitled to travel document free in the CTA by (you guessed it) requesting to see documentation that prove they are Irish/UK citizens, therefore negating the purpose of the CTA in the first place.

The UK treats all CTA flights as domestic in relation to immigration, but not security screening (i.e. Irish originating passengers are required to be re-screened if transiting through the UK)

The UK gets comfort through to the British-Irish visa scheme and broadly aligned visa policies.

eirflot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 pm

All of the above is correct
Yet I still can't seem to shake of the idea that our airports are simply not designed for CTA - letter, spirit or fact
It's annoying to have to prove who I am arriving in my own country but not when arriving in the UK - from Ireland of course

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
richcandy wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Treated as UK Domestic . In LHR T2/T5 they made special channels for CTA arrivals . T5 was made after it was built due to BMI being bought by BA and thus using T5 and T2 was designed as EI was going to be a major tenant there. I was once on a flight with someone who was involved with the project at T5. Irish immigration will only get tighter as time goes on and the CTA may not survive between the UK and Republic of Ireland. The Irish also seem not to want to join Schengen which is probably a sensible choice given its got more holes in it then a sieve!

UK cannot allow passengers be checked because people in N Ireland would view it negatively particularly unionists as an internal barrier In the UK. I think the British would like to check passengers if it was possible. The only positive of system at DUB right now Brexit may not change things to the same degree had no checks been made.

VFRonTop

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 pm

eirflot wrote:
Yet I still can't seem to shake of the idea that our airports are simply not designed for CTA - letter, spirit or fact
It's annoying to have to prove who I am arriving in my own country but not when arriving in the UK - from Ireland of course

Perhaps but the setup in Edinburgh is a simple but effective solution, CTA flights alight into the departure lounge and there is an exit into the luggage hall from departures. Problem solved.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 pm

eirflot wrote:

Most UK airports are not designed for CTA either. They have clamped down on mixing passengers with buses now required for CTA arrivals in places like BHX and LGW.

You couldn't justify DUB designing a facility for CTA when its not going to be used.

eirflot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 pm

JAmie2k9 I think that's arse about face - it's not being used because the facility is not there. The numbers from the UK are there.

Not sure how CTA would arise for NI - they are already domestic UK passamgers

gosimeon

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

—-

Why hasn't DUB gotten the EU self-scans machines in reliable action yet? More often than not they are closed. I recently flew to Helsinki, and the experience was seamless because of their use of these machines. I imagine it'd help a lot in DUB.

Flying back from Helsinki, there was a huge queue for EU passports. The Non-EU queue then switched to "All Passports" after a while, before then switching back to "non-EU" five minutes later, and sending everyone back to the back of the original queue. I found it all a bit embarrassing to be honest. Lots of people spent 30 minutes or more trying to get through.
Last edited by gosimeon on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassicLover

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
The UK treats all CTA flights as domestic in relation to immigration, but not security screening (i.e. Irish originating passengers are required to be re-screened if transiting through the UK)

The UK gets comfort through to the British-Irish visa scheme and broadly aligned visa policies.

It is a shame the security screening part doesn't count, because it's the one main bug bear I have with LHR transfers. Arriving as a domestic passenger and not requiring screening is really nice when you're doing a same terminal transfer (ie: BA T5 to BA T5 for me).

There has been more and more alignment with British-Irish visas, like where they offered just one for both countries to certain nationalities. I am very interested to see what happens with Brexit. I would hate to see the CTA go, especially since Irish Passport holders will, after Brexit, be the only Europeans entitled to work in the UK as though they are nationals. Pending any other agreements (if ever there are any).
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Galwayman

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Totally agree , the Irish side doesn’t really fully facilitate the CTA as well as the U.K. side no matter what the politicians say .... frequently bussed straight to the baggage claim at Stansted , Gatwick etc

OA260

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 am

Permanent model aircraft display for Shannon Airport

One of the largest collections of model aircraft in the world has gone on permanent display at Shannon Airport.

It is the personal collection of Limerick man Michael Kelly, who has been collecting the small aircraft models for 60 years.

The 1,500 Diecast aircraft, each a different model from almost every airline across the globe, were gathered over the past six decades.

www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0703/97614 ... -aircraft/

—-

PIC: Man Forced To Sit On "Worst Airline Seat Ever" On Dublin Flight
You can't even call this a seat, to be honest.

A long transatlantic flight can be a pain in the ass at the best of times, but this photo takes that to a whole new level.

A passenger called Matt Madrigal was assigned what he described as the "worst airline seat ever" by Aer Lingus on his flight to Dublin.

According to Elliot.org, Madrigal endured the dirty “seat” with no cushion and exposed metal for the entire flight.

https://lovindublin.com/news/dublin-air ... ingus-seat

EI321

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Took the 20.50 Aer Lingus flight from JFK to DUB on Sunday. Complete disaster of a check in set up, people queuing an average of 1.5 hours. Only 3 check in staff manning around 8 desks, one for business and 2 for economy, seemed to be no difference between the line for check in and the line for bag drop and zero information from staff or announcements. Awful experience and lots of irritated passengers. Flight was grand, crew were average.

Ticketyboo

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:20 pm

EI321 wrote:
Took the 20.50 Aer Lingus flight from JFK to DUB on Sunday. Complete disaster of a check in set up, people queuing an average of 1.5 hours. Only 3 check in staff manning around 8 desks, one for business and 2 for economy, seemed to be no difference between the line for check in and the line for bag drop and zero information from staff or announcements. Awful experience and lots of irritated passengers. Flight was grand, crew were average.

Glad it's not just me. I flew with EI from BRS to DUB last week, checked in via the App as normal only to arrive at the boarding gate where I was reassigned to another seat not comparable to the one reserved. I asked the gate agent (who manually wrote a boarding pass for me) why couldn't I be assigned an aisle seat as booked - "they can change seats for operational reasons, ask the FA if they can move you." Upon boarding I noticed the seat I had booked and the one next to it were empty but the tray tables folded down. I took my now window seat and the passenger next to me asked if he could move to one of the empty seats "no, it's a weight distribution restriction" (on a near full flight when the adjacent seats in the same row are occupied?). After the trolley service was completed the two FA's then took both seats and sat exchanging pics on their devices, engaging in chitchat all the way until prep for landing. This isn't the first time that I've experienced this on EI Regional where the FA's take row 18 rather than their jump seats or stand.
Complaint made to EI, response - "we'll pass your comments to Stobart, thanks for brining to our attention." Seriously? EI charge premium prices for budget service (and that's perhaps being rude to some LCC's), they have some real issues to tackle, but perhaps it's an IAG issue more generally? Flying F to Vancouver with BA in the autumn, so we'll see. I wish that I could avoid EI more often.

eirflot

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:58 pm

No great loyalty any more
EI cabin crew generally okay but rarely good or exceptional - main or regional
It seems to have all become a chore and we the paying passengers are an inconvenience.

eidvm

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes, I've recently noticed morale among crew seems to be much lower than previous times I've traveled with them, they all seem exhausted and disinterested in helping the paying customers, treating us as more of an inconvenience than anything else, a far cry from the warm welcome and care you used to get a couple years back.

stratocruiser

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:09 pm

eidvm wrote:
Yes, I've recently noticed morale among crew seems to be much lower than previous times I've traveled with them, they all seem exhausted and disinterested in helping the paying customers, treating us as more of an inconvenience than anything else, a far cry from the warm welcome and care you used to get a couple years back.

Perhaps the major factor that used to differentiate EI from many other carriers was the warmth of the welcome and the genuine impression of caring that the cabin staff used to give. It’s not enough to just provide good service in J but EI seriously needs to work restoring that attitude right across the airline if they are not to become just another faceless ‘run of the mill’ carrier.

eirflot

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:23 pm

I think it's too late!
I would need to go back 10 or even 15 years to find seevice, hospitality and grnuine warmth.
It's not just EI, the IAG group have a problem. BA AND VY are no better. IB are improved. They used to be the coldest, rudest and last helpful cabin crews around.

Eirules

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 pm

EI could learn a thing from VS. Of late I’ve switched most of my transatlantic flying to VS, mostly in J. The crew are infinitely more fun & friendly & engaging than EI or indeed BA. And as for the VS lounge versus the EI one, it’s chalk & cheese
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 pm

eirflot wrote:
I think it's too late!
I would need to go back 10 or even 15 years to find seevice, hospitality and grnuine warmth.
It's not just EI, the IAG group have a problem. BA AND VY are no better. IB are improved. They used to be the coldest, rudest and last helpful cabin crews around.

Personally I have had mostly good experiences with EI crew. Yes you get the odd one who should not be there ( usually the younger ones ) but mostly I find them fine. The ones that excel are usually the older crew who have been with the company many years. You tend to see that pattern with BA too with the most friendly being the LGW based crew who I have to say are very good.

IB have indeed come a long way and they now offer a very good product with a different attitude. I have had many good experiences with them over the last 3-4 years mostly in J and on Iberia Express who I have to say are better then IB Mainline crew. IB actually are better compared to BA in many ways. Of course everyone has their preferences and you could have 5 people on the same flight all with different ideas.

eirflot

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 am

BA LGW equals the old Danair and BCal - crews of both carriers were fun, cheerful and genuinely warm

Agree with the EI older us better
I also believe the EI crews that were part of the LGW experiment were better than home base. Following boarding oass cgeck at the aircraft door i was always addressed by my family name - the simplest curtsey that was appreciated

But you are correct OA260 everyone has a different view on what might be called service!

LH982

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 am

Crazy queues for non-EU passports in T1 again this morning. Not helped by the fact that the EU/non-EU sign is halfway up the queue, so EU pax adding to the problem.

No one from the DAA at the start of the queue, and no interested in doing anything about it when i asked them.

Welcome to Ireland

qf789

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 am

Norwegian to cancel services between Cork and Providence due to low demand

https://twitter.com/AvGeekJames/status/ ... 6050143232
Forum Moderator

OA260

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 am

LH982 wrote:
Crazy queues for non-EU passports in T1 again this morning. Not helped by the fact that the EU/non-EU sign is halfway up the queue, so EU pax adding to the problem.

No one from the DAA at the start of the queue, and no interested in doing anything about it when i asked them.

Welcome to Ireland

Always been the same in peak periods and they seem unable to divide EU/Non EU and indeed E Gates. I have seen many times E Gates free but its backed up so much that you cant get to them. The extra helpers that the DAA bring in for the Summer are put on a crash course with the basics but seem unable to do crowd control. They should go along the line trying to let those who are wanting to use the E Gates move to the front. Then people at the E Gates actively helping people use them to get as many through as possible. Not rocket science!

shamrock350

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 am

qf789 wrote:

The winter suspension was announced a month or two ago. It’s still set to continue next summer as planned isn’t it?

It’s funny to see Cork Airport and Norwegian celebrating the first anniversary of ORK-PVD and its success when it’s quite obvious to everyone else the route is struggling.

Cork was used and abused by Norwegian, Dublin seems to getting all the business which is to be expected but even that looks like the best of a bad lot for them at the moment. All that media attention, political support, rock bottom fares and a reported excellent service but load factors remain in the 60-65% region?!

OA260

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:36 am

shamrock350 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The winter suspension was announced a month or two ago. It’s still set to continue next summer as planned isn’t it?

It’s funny to see Cork Airport and Norwegian celebrating the first anniversary of ORK-PVD and its success when it’s quite obvious to everyone else the route is struggling.

Cork was used and abused by Norwegian, Dublin seems to getting all the business which is to be expected but even that looks like the best of a bad lot for them at the moment. All that media attention, political support, rock bottom fares and a reported excellent service but load factors remain in the 60-65% region?!

I dont get all this hate for Norwegian from the EI fan boys to be honest. They came in and provided much needed competition when the legacy carriers were creeping the TATL fares up. Since Norwegians arrivals fares have come down. Also they gave ORK a TATL service where none existed. If the Cork lot dont support it then they loose it. Where was EI for the last number of years when ORK wanted/needed a service? Use it or loose it. As for political,media hype its what they all do EI included. I have yet to hear one complaint about the DUB-SWF service from friends that have used it. Its far from funny if they loose indeed it would be tragic for those that rely on the service or intended to use it.

eirflot

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:57 pm

People in cork are a fussy lot. They wan't everything, get it and then don't support it. Cityjet are another example.

planemanofnz

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Does anyone know whether there has been progress on a JL flight to TYO? Last summer, Japanese officials flew into DUB to meet with the DAA about a potential new service, and there was a charter flight - it'd be great to see regular scheduled flights happen.

See: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkzvbU8gPIN ... =213012399.

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyblue39

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know whether there has been progress on a JL flight to TYO? Last summer, JL officials flew into DUB to meet with the DAA about a potential new service - it'd be great to see it happen.

See: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkzvbU8gPIN ... =213012399.

Cheers,

C.

From September 2017:

Direct flights between Dublin and Tokyo are inevitable given the increased interaction between the two states, according to the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Frances Fitzgerald.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3238185

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos