Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018 edition. Link to previous thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1395423

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Qantas 789 VH-ZNE names Skippy has been delivered, even though the name looks more like Shippy

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/10 ... 8810380289

QF6025 to MEL, expected arrival around 1845 on Sunday

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA6025/1cf6156b

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Just a reminder that AirAsia X will resume the second flight (though its only 4 weekly) to PER for this month

Also those interested on how QR is performing at PER with the A380, loads have recently been consistent above 90%, there have been some nights where it has departed without an empty seat

redroo

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:37 pm

qf789 wrote:
Qantas 789 VH-ZNE names Skippy has been delivered, even though the name looks more like Shippy

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/10 ... 8810380289

QF6025 to MEL, expected arrival around 1845 on Sunday

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA6025/1cf6156b

Shippy indeed !!!

waoz1

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
Just a reminder that AirAsia X will resume the second flight (though its only 4 weekly) to PER for this month

Also those interested on how QR is performing at PER with the A380, loads have recently been consistent above 90%, there have been some nights where it has departed without an empty seat

I saw QR have loaded the a388 past the annual trial.
Might be here to stay.

As for the qantas a330 to singapore from two 738s,
If its a reduction in seats maybe they are going to put JQ on a daily flight. As that was dropped?

getluv

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 am

Re: Rumours about 747s coming onto domestic routes from the June thread.

787s 5 and 6 are about to enter service for QF and replace the 744s on BNE-LAX-JFK. So as expected there is going to be a lot of schedule/aircraft changes being built into the QF schedule. Further to this, QF tends to drop QF77/78 on quiet days/periods anyway. They didn't run the double daily service for most of May. Plus all the A332s are getting wifi, the additional toilet installed, and there's the final 2 that are going to be upgraded soon. So there's a lot of slack that QF needs to fill.

So I wouldn't be reading too much into what a bunch of disgruntled pilots are saying on a forum.

planemanofnz

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:59 am

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Might be here to stay.

I wouldn't be so sure - loads don't tell the full story. For example, on Expedia, QR is showing as the cheapest option ex-PER to Europe for pretty much every month, so I'd question the yields with those loads. Further, a lot of the high-yielding premium class LHR traffic now probably goes on the QF non-stop flight. Though, I hope it works out for them.

Cheers,

C.

waoz1

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:39 am

planemanofnz wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Might be here to stay.

I wouldn't be so sure - loads don't tell the full story. For example, on Expedia, QR is showing as the cheapest option ex-PER to Europe for pretty much every month, so I'd question the yields with those loads. Further, a lot of the high-yielding premium class LHR traffic now probably goes on the QF non-stop flight. Though, I hope it works out for them.

Cheers,

C.

QR prices have been much the same for years
Well before the A380

Obzerva

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 am

So being at the midpoint of the year, how’s everyones predictions from the January thread panning out?

JBusworth

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am

Obzerva wrote:
So being at the midpoint of the year, how’s everyones predictions from the January thread panning out?

Well VA begins SYD-HKG tomorrow, which was one of my predictions. Apart from that, none have come true.

sq256

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm

And VA joining any alliance isn't likely in 2018, although I had predicted SkyTeam at the start of the year. Alliances in general may have slowed down at the "Full Member" level with no new member for the last 3 years, however Oneworld and Star Alliance have implemented "connect" level partnerships in recent years to allow airlines to join without being a "Full Member". Skyteam is the only Alliance yet to come to the party with the "connect" level memberships, as both VS and VA are both candidates at that level in SkyTeam.

However, VA had burned bridges with NZ to pretty much rule Star Alliance out. As SQ are not the best of friends with UA for that matter, NZ and UA would just use their veto to block any (other carrier) sponsorship/application from VA to join Star Alliance. I can't see any future owner(s) of VA (whether if it may be SQ or someone else) to curtail to NZ's 'alleged' domestic-only demands.

EY may have gotten cosy with LH, however EY are also facing a veto from UA themselves should LH or anyone else try to sponsor EY into Star Alliance.

Plus there's still the DL elephant in the room being coy, which doesn't entirely rule out "Delta Air Lines Australia" (VA) to join their brothers at "Delta Air Lines UK" (VS).

qf002

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Obzerva wrote:

Still waiting for QF to make their "late-2017" announcement of BNE-ORD (or wherever they’ve decided to go with the second BNE-USA route).

bunumuring

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Re predictions....
I think I'm doing pretty well with mine. ET confirming interest in an Australian route (Melbourne apparently, and not Sydney, shame....) ticks another box off my list.
I have a prediction about who will replace John Borghetti before the end of the year, but it may be more appropriate to place it in the NZ thread....
And on another topic, QF's 'Project Sunrise' .... Could the winner be the 'Boeing 777-8SP' with the letters 'SP' standing for special performance as well as 'sunrise project' (sic) , and deliberately harking back to the trail blazing '747SP' that QF also operated?
Cheers,
Bunumuring

QF744ER

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm

getluv wrote:

787s 5 and 6 are about to enter service for QF and replace the 744s on BNE-LAX-JFK. So as expected there is going to be a lot of schedule/aircraft changes being built into the QF schedule. Further to this, QF tends to drop QF77/78 on quiet days/periods anyway. They didn't run the double daily service for most of May. Plus all the A332s are getting wifi, the additional toilet installed, and there's the final 2 that are going to be upgraded soon. So there's a lot of slack that QF needs to fill.

So I wouldn't be reading too much into what a bunch of disgruntled pilots are saying on a forum.

Is 'Shippy' going to be based in BNE exclusively or will she rotate through the current Dreamliner destinations and network like -ZNA and co?

I've heard the PER B744 flights will be loaded into GDS early this week, it'll be interesting to see what seating plans accompany them with -OEB having F and the RR ones + the ER's having Y+.

Of recent 2 of the 20 A332's have been in BNE simulataniously for maintenance, WiFi or refurbs. Leaving 18 for operations on the peak days.

planemanofnz

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm

bunumuring wrote:
I have a prediction about who will replace John Borghetti before the end of the year, but it may be more appropriate to place it in the NZ thread...

Do share - are you talking about Christopher Luxon?

Cheers,

C.

vhqpa

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 pm

QF744ER wrote:

Is 'Shippy' going to be based in BNE exclusively or will she rotate through the current Dreamliner destinations and network like -ZNA and co?

I've heard the PER B744 flights will be loaded into GDS early this week, it'll be interesting to see what seating plans accompany them with -OEB having F and the RR ones + the ER's having Y+.

Of recent 2 of the 20 A332's have been in BNE simulataniously for maintenance, WiFi or refurbs. Leaving 18 for operations on the peak days.

I expect Shippy/Skippy will rotate through the network with LAX being used to rotate between MEL and BNE bases.

Also with the 747 returning to domestic duties I expect on OEB the old F cabin which hasn't been sold as such in years will continue to be sold as J with high tiered FF members prioritised for the F seats. Also expect the W cabin to be sold as Y again with high tiered FF members prioritised for the W seats. This would give OEB effectively a J66Y287 config and the rest J58Y306. It probably makes more sense to keep OEB on as many SYD/PER runs as possible to keep the old Skybed MK. I off International routes.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Effective 28 Oct 18 VA’s MEL-HKG will go back to daily, schedule will return to a morning departure, 11am from MEL

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ource=hero

Obzerva

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:51 pm

qf789 wrote:
Effective 28 Oct 18 VA’s MEL-HKG will go back to daily, schedule will return to a morning departure, 11am from MEL

Sounds like they’ve picked up some better slots, which is good for them as the current MEL-HKG after midnight time is pretty useless for anyone connecting on VS to LHR.

Now what’s next, BNE-HKG or mainland China?

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Obzerva wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Sounds like they’ve picked up some better slots, which is good for them as the current MEL-HKG after midnight time is pretty useless for anyone connecting on VS to LHR.

Now what’s next, BNE-HKG or mainland China?

It was a shame that MEL-HKG had to be dropped to 5 weekly so its good to see it returned to a daily service. As for the next service, that could go either way, it could be China however that would be a hard market to compete in with the number of Chinese carriers there is plus with the Chinese relaxing the one airline, on route policy China is probably not a priority any more. Hong Kong could be more likely. While they could start the next one from BNE I would like to see them start a service from PER, which I believe would be well received. Off course that is dependent of slots that can be gained

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:35 pm

The WA State Government has employed former Tourism Australia boss Andrew McEvoy to encourage more international services to PER

The wishlist includes
A daily service from CZ
A daily service from Japan
Service from PVG (MU)
Service from India (they will beheading off to India shortly to discuss with 6 Airlines)

https://thewest.com.au/news/tourism/wa- ... b88880578z

CraigAnderson

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:09 am

planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
I have a prediction about who will replace John Borghetti before the end of the year, but it may be more appropriate to place it in the NZ thread...

Rob Fyfe?

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:09 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
bunumuring wrote:

Rob Fyfe?

To be honest, anyone would be better than JB.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:16 am

qf789 wrote:
The WA State Government has employed former Tourism Australia boss Andrew McEvoy to encourage more international services to PER

The wishlist includes
A daily service from CZ
Service from PVG (MU)
Service from India (they will beheading off to India shortly to discuss with 6 Airlines)

IMO, they should also look at a CPT service - lots of airlines are heading that way, with tourism booming (like CX), and PER is perfectly positioned to get a lot of the transits.

Also, on India, I wonder if they should be targeting UL too? AFAIK, their new 320NEO's could make PER - CMB non-stop, and a narrow-body would be the right sized plane?

Cheers,

C.

MooLor

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:21 am

Western Sydney Airport contracts have been awarded, with earthworks due to commence this year.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/big-contracts-given-for-new-sydney-airport/news-story/dca1472da71797559a8767641250072d

Bulldozers are set to hit the site of the new Western Sydney Airport by the end of the year, after the federal government awarded three major contracts.

The company behind upgrades to airports in Dubai, Hong Kong and London - Bechtel - has been appointed to oversee construction of the multi-billion dollar project.
WSA Co - the government-owned company building the airport - on Saturday also announced the contract for early earthworks on the site near Badgerys Creek.

A joint venture between Australian companies Lendlease and CPB Contractors will be in charge of moving about 1.8 million cubic metres of soil to start levelling the land.

It will also build access roads and drainage to allow major construction to begin in 2019.

Other items reported in local media recently were the demolition of the last house on the site, and commencement of a project to bury high voltage power lines, which currently cross the site where the first runway will be.

Whatsaptudo

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 am

Changes to QF services are loaded now. This should give them some breathing space in training 737 pilots. They haven’t been able to get ahead of the training curve due to many 737 pilots being retrained onto the A330 and 787, and limited Simulator and Training Staff. These changes won’t be permanent, but no one really knows how long they will last.
With regards to Perth-Singapore, this isn’t the ideal solution as it reduces the schedule and they want to put the 737 back on, double daily, as soon as they have the staff to do it (October 28th is the date it changes back)

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 am

XFJ is operating the inaugural SYD-HKG today

getluv

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:40 am

The WA Government can keep on dreaming. International expansion from foreign airlines into Australia over the next 12 months looks to be fairly marginal.

Anyway, April 2018 BITRE Figures are out. https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

Some interesting observations:
    It was a bad month for the Middle Eastern carriers, given April is relatively high season.
    QR's SYD-CBR-SYD has improved, albeit still with a LF of ~15% (40-50 pax/day).
    United's SYD-IAH averaged ~65%.
    QF's SYD-KIX averaged >90%.
    VA's US/HKG route performance continues to be weak
    QF's market share is increasing, partly contributed by EK's withdrawal from BNE/MEL-AKL.

a19901213

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 am

April is cherry blossom season in Japan with lots of business movement(first month of Japan financial year) and beginning of the Golden week at the end of April.

Also Qf has been offering competitive price on this route due to generous subsidy from the airport.

waoz1

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 am

qf789 wrote:

The wishlist includes
A daily service from CZ
Service from PVG (MU)

And I bet we still end up with sod all.
Giving it a go at least I suppose... just have to get out Perth peoples mind sets there are other cities out there other than Denpasar.

tullamarine

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Rob Fyfe?

To be honest, anyone would be better than JB.

Cheers,

C.

I hope they hire someone out of a larger airline. NZ is actually a comparatively small airline with only limited domestic and international competition and supported by a significant government holding. VA operates in a very different environment from both a capital and competitive perspective. It would be good if they looked a bit wider and got someone out of highly competitive markets in Europe or US. Someone with senior experience in an airline such as Westjet, JetBlue, Norwegian or WOW would be ideal.

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 am

tullamarine wrote:
Someone with senior experience in an airline such as Westjet, JetBlue, Norwegian or WOW would be ideal.

Airline-specific experience shouldn't necessarily be prioritized, IMO. For example, JB had a lot of airline experience, whereas Luxon at NZ didn't - one has done a good job, whereas the other hasn't.

:duck:

Cheers,

C.

dredgy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:14 am

getluv wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's just CBR-DOH-CBR pax and doesn't include passengers originating in Sydney. I think passengers flying SYD-CBR-DOH or DOH-CBR-SYD are counted under SYD-DOH route statistics.

tullamarine

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 am

planemanofnz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Someone with senior experience in an airline such as Westjet, JetBlue, Norwegian or WOW would be ideal.

Airline-specific experience shouldn't necessarily be prioritized, IMO. For example, JB had a lot of airline experience, whereas Luxon at NZ didn't - one has done a good job, whereas the other hasn't.

:duck:

Cheers,

C.

As I said, the competitive environment is very different and I think VA needs someone who is used to a strong competitor. Borghetti has succeeded in endowing VA with a great product but hasn't translated it into a great business. VA is up against a very strong competitor with much deeper pockets. Whoever replaces him has to be able to cope with such restrictions.

NZ has a virtual domestic monopoly meaning it can get away with product and pricing that wouldn't cut it in AU against QF. Internationally, NZ is a fine airline that punches above its weight though its product is nowhere near leading edge any longer. I think VA needs to aim a bit higher.

CraigAnderson

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 am

A.Net rumours confirmed :)

"Qantas will fly its iconic Boeing 747 between Sydney and Perth from late July, while its double-daily Perth-Singapore Boeing 737 service will be replaced by an Airbus A330."

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-fly- ... -singapore

sq256

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 am

tullamarine wrote:
As I said, the competitive environment is very different and I think VA needs someone who is used to a strong competitor. Borghetti has succeeded in endowing VA with a great product but hasn't translated it into a great business. VA is up against a very strong competitor with much deeper pockets. Whoever replaces him has to be able to cope with such restrictions.

There is also the shareholder bickering and restrictions that's imposed on whoever happens to be running VA at the end of the day, due to their own complicated ownership structure.

The uncertainty of whether HNA group and/or the EY group will be selling their VA stakes due to their own financial debts doesn't help VA either.

getluv

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 am

dredgy wrote:
getluv wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's just CBR-DOH-CBR pax and doesn't include passengers originating in Sydney. I think passengers flying SYD-CBR-DOH or DOH-CBR-SYD are counted under SYD-DOH route statistics.

Hence why I've separated the SYD-CBR-SYD sectors. Still horrific. Shows CBR doesn't have longevity.

Whatsaptudo

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 am

getluv wrote:

Sorry I have to ask. Which disgruntled pilots? This forum?

a7ala

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 am

getluv wrote:
The WA Government can keep on dreaming. International expansion from foreign airlines into Australia over the next 12 months looks to be fairly marginal.

Anyway, April 2018 BITRE Figures are out. https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

It was a bad month for the Middle Eastern carriers, given April is relatively high season.
    QF's market share is increasing, partly contributed by EK's withdrawal from BNE/MEL-AKL.

Interesting to see SQ's WLG-CBR sector was at over 80% for both the Mar/Apr months - its final month before the switch to MEL.

tullamarine

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 am

There is also the shareholder bickering and restrictions that's imposed on whoever happens to be running VA at the end of the day, due to their own complicated ownership structure.

The uncertainty of whether HNA group and/or the EY group will be selling their VA stakes due to their own financial debts doesn't help VA either.

I think you are probably right. The best outcome would be for either SQ or DL to take a majority position in the group. Borghetti still has up to 18 months to run before his retirement so I'd be surprised if the long-term ownership is not resolved prior to the new CEO being hired as a new majority shareholder would want to own that decision. I assume any potential CEO will demand clarity on the ownership position before accepting the role.

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:52 am

a7ala wrote:
Interesting to see SQ's WLG-CBR sector was at over 80% for both the Mar/Apr months - its final month before the switch to MEL.

Actually, I also found it interesting how well some of the other fifth-freedom operators seem to be doing, like CI and D7 too. EK on SYD - CHC seems to be doing well too?

Cheers,

C.

qf2220

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:54 am

sq256 wrote:
Plus there's still the DL elephant in the room being coy, which doesn't entirely rule out "Delta Air Lines Australia" (VA) to join their brothers at "Delta Air Lines UK" (VS).

to change a Delta (ie greek letter that looks like a triangle) to a V is pretty simple - flip it 180 degrees and take off the horizontal bar....

qf2220

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:57 am

qf789 wrote:

The wishlist includes
A daily service from CZ
Service from PVG (MU)

Perhaps his first action should be go go and sort out PER and its intransigencies?

angusjt

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 am

Do the SYD-PER 747s go into December/January?

AsiaTravel

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 am

getluv wrote:

From this document:

Load factor for QF9/10 for the month of april 2018, this is done by adding pax flying from MEL to LHR and those flying from PER to LHR (excluding those flying PER-MEL as those are not taken into account in this document since they are considered as domestic passengers):

Outbound to London: 6569 pax, 92%, average: 219 pax
Inbound from London: 6249 pax, 88% , average: 208 pax
Total: 12818, 90%

Proportion of total pax flying to/from PER (excluding those flying PER-MEL): 73.7%
Proportion of total pax flying to/from MEL (excluding those flying PER-MEL): 26.3%

This is assuming one flight per day operated by 787-9 with 236 seats onboard.

EDIT: 236 seats
Last edited by AsiaTravel on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AsiaTravel

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

qf789 wrote:
AsiaTravel wrote:
getluv wrote:

From this document:

Load factor for QF9/10 for the month of april 2018, this is done by adding pax flying from MEL to LHR and those flying from PER to LHR (excluding those flying PER-MEL as those are not taken into account in this document since they are considered as domestic passengers):

Proportion of total pax flying to/from PER (excluding those flying PER-MEL): 73.7%
Proportion of total pax flying to/from MEL (excluding those flying PER-MEL): 26.3%

This is assuming one flight per day operated by 787-9 with 239 seats onboard.

Qantas 787-9’s are configured at 236 seats

Yes, my bad. The calculation was done with 236 seats.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
getluv wrote:

From this document:

This is assuming one flight per day operated by 787-9 with 239 seats onboard.

Qantas 787-9’s are configured at 236 seats

csturdiv

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 am

Nice, i am on QF580 PER- SYD in August and upgraded myself to business after booking. Got notice today that the flight has been upgraded to a B747. One last flight in a B747 probably, and I'm doing it in style.

aussie747

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:56 am

angusjt wrote:

only appears loaded from 30JUL18 up to the 05SEP18

And it seems to be inconsistent scheduling, -
Mostly Monday Tuesdays, Wednesdays and the occasional Thursday and Saturday on QF581/582 rotation only

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:26 am

Hainan begins codesharing on some VA domestic and Trans Tasman services tomorrow

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2018/

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:32 am

aussie747 wrote:
angusjt wrote:

only appears loaded from 30JUL18 up to the 05SEP18

And it seems to be inconsistent scheduling, -
Mostly Monday Tuesdays, Wednesdays and the occasional Thursday and Saturday on QF581/582 rotation only

This is the schedule for the first 10 days

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-fly- ... ource=hero

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos