Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Planes4you

Re: Turkish Aviation July 2018

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 am

Any news on service to DFW,SEA, and YVR?

Planes4you

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 am

I've seen few people talking about this. Another person told me if they were to expand it would be DFW,MCO, and some other airport I forgot. So can anyone give me an update on DFW,YVR, and SEA?

Blerg

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:48 am

Impressive growth to TLV!

IST-TLV has been growing quite nicely over the years. It's probably convenient for TK as well as they can send their widebodies there between two long-haul rotations, same with other regional destinations such as ESB, ATH, OTP ...

Passenger numbers for IST-TLV.

2013: 560.254
2014: 615.838
2015: 736.416
2016: 824.441
2017: 937.933

Last year there were additional 155 daily passengers (one way) between the two airports!

mafaky

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 am

Planes4you wrote:
I've seen few people talking about this. Another person told me if they were to expand it would be DFW,MCO, and some other airport I forgot. So can anyone give me an update on DFW,YVR, and SEA?

TK wants to see the opening of Istanbul New Airport, to introduce new long-haul routes. They are also probably squeezed on their wide body fleet: the first 10 333s and 12 77Ws hat entered the fleet in early 2010s should be entering their D-Check periods (which should take 2-3 months per frame) in these days. So they need a few of the newcoming 789s (if not also the 359s) to enter the fleet. These newcomers should relieve a couple of 77Ws, hopefully.

YVR service is still under negotiation between Canadian & Turkish Civil Aviation Authorities. Depending on the outcome TK may or may not introduce SEA on short term. DFW: I don't know what the plans are but I guess both DFW & MEX will/can be opened with 77Ws.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 am

What is the reason for Pegasus Airlines not to serve Saudi Arabia from SAW? (specially since they serve UAE, Oman, Kuwait and Qatar).

It seems like a missing opportunity there; short flights and huge O&D and connecting traffic markets. TK has multiple daily flights to the Kingdom from Istanbul.

Joelatbsl

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 am

Turkish Airlines will help the World Cup airlift for the final in Moscow on Sunday, using one of their A340s for a flight from Zagreb to Vnukovo:

http://worldcupcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... final.html

HUYfan

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 am

SCQ83 wrote:
What is the reason for Pegasus Airlines not to serve Saudi Arabia from SAW? (specially since they serve UAE, Oman, Kuwait and Qatar).

It seems like a missing opportunity there; short flights and huge O&D and connecting traffic markets. TK has multiple daily flights to the Kingdom from Istanbul.

Pegasus have announced Dammam-SAW.

Kind regards

HUYfan

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm

TK's first A321NEO landed at IST. (in Turkish but few photos below)
http://www.airporthaber.com/thy-haberle ... tildi.html
Business Class cabin has new colors, black seats with light brown trim and seat belts. Is this a new look?

Turkish777X

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 pm

TK787 wrote:
Business Class cabin has new colors, black seats with light brown trim and seat belts. Is this a new look?

Looks to me like a brand new seat in J!

OA260

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Turkish777X wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Looks to me like a brand new seat in J!

Yes its a new slimline version.

TK105

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Looks very airy. Also on board internet service and large LCD screens increases the comfort level. Congratulations.

LAXintl

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Yes Tel Aviv is indeed a big feeder market for TK, but lets not also forget that Pegasus also serves the route with 4 of their own daily flights during the summer, plus AtlasGlobal with its single service.

Planes4you wrote:

TK is working on 3 new U.S. cities, but needs more airplanes first.

As far as YVR, would not hold my breath as ball is wholly on Canada's side and if they are willing to open up further.

mxp

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi everyone just a quick question about Ataturk airport. Does it have a baggage storage? i need to leave my bag for some hours.
thx
alberto

Planes4you

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes Tel Aviv is indeed a big feeder market for TK, but lets not also forget that Pegasus also serves the route with 4 of their own daily flights during the summer, plus AtlasGlobal with its single service.

Planes4you wrote:

TK is working on 3 new U.S. cities, but needs more airplanes first.

As far as YVR, would not hold my breath as ball is wholly on Canada's side and if they are willing to open up further.

I'd assume DFW has a 90 if not 95-99% chance of TK starting service to DFW. The other airports that have a good chances are possibly MCO and SEA. My wildcard guesses would be DEN and LAS, but again those are my wild card guesses.

DLHAM

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 pm

TK787 wrote:

Took a Video of it just a few days ago, still in Hamburg sporting a german test registration plus flag. Nice machine!

https://youtu.be/Cw-EaKOtlKI

mafaky

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 pm

mxp wrote:
Hi everyone just a quick question about Ataturk airport. Does it have a baggage storage? i need to leave my bag for some hours.
thx
alberto

Yes, it does! Clear immigration and customs, walk out from the Customs Zone into the Arrivals Hall. Turn to your right and walk towards the end. You should see the Left Over Baggage Booth on your right side, in the area where there are some hotel reservation booths or so.

mxp

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 am

thx very much.

ARNbased

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 am

Is it just me or do these new regional C seats look like a huge downgrade from the current recliners?! The current recliners are IMHO super-comfy with huge pitch, while this new seat just looks like a typical intra-US ”first” seat with standard pitch?

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 am

Another TROY livery:

bahadir

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 am

Few notes here as I flew TK a lot in last month.

GVA-IST : Part of IAD-GVA-IST on UA mileage ticket going on vacation.
IST-GVA: Part of IST-GVA-IAD ticket purchased.

Both flights were non eventful. The crew were nice, the service was good. The entertaintment was plenty. However the 321 had the seats that made access to the seatback area literature (magazines on top, safety card on the bottom) a bit challenging. I am not sure if these are the turkish manufactured seats or not, but they are not practical.

IST-BJV : Going on vacation.
ADB-IST : Coming back from vacation
IST-ESB-IST : For a business meeting in Ankara.

All these flights had the sandwich and full drink service. My question is : WHY??? The flights are only 20 minutes or so if you consider the level flights.

ESB-IST leg had a pilot who was challenged English wise. Last few years TK introduced a printout for the pilots to say during their PA. All they have to do is plug in the flight number, time, cruising altitude and voila you have a PA. If you are having a hard time reading even that, you don't belong in the flight deck.

Speaking of pilots, TK is having a major issue with the fatigue and lack of pilots. They left some valuable assets, such as widebody CAs to carries like Emirates and Qatar. The compensation is not there. More than half of the foreigners left for greener pastures. The ones that are left are being worked to death. Anyone heard about the TK pilot passing out in the bathroom on the way to IAH? Management is not doing enough to address this issue.

leftyboarder

Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 am

I had a recent flight IST-ARN-IST. Surprisingly for a 3hr plus flight, no IFE on a very aged 738. They had the new on board wifi installed but no power outlets on board and you apparently have to download the TK IFE app before you're on board so not much use. On the way back, this time a very old 320 with overhead screens with terrible resolution showing nothing but flight info, no IFE. I've flown IST-ESB many times and never encountered such bad IFE, and this is a longish short haul to a wealthy destination. Very surprised.

globetrotter94

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm

bahadir wrote:
All these flights had the sandwich and full drink service. My question is : WHY??? The flights are only 20 minutes or so if you consider the level flights.

Quoting ex-TK CEO Sayin Temel Kotil: "Food is the way we show our passengers how much we love them."

And also why I like TK back! Would prefer to have a sandwich and a drink on a 20 minute flight, than nothing on a 6+ (or sometimes, even 8/9+) hour flight, as in the US.

bahadir

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 am

globetrotter94 wrote:
bahadir wrote:

Quoting ex-TK CEO Sayin Temel Kotil: "Food is the way we show our passengers how much we love them."

And also why I like TK back! Would prefer to have a sandwich and a drink on a 20 minute flight, than nothing on a 6+ (or sometimes, even 8/9+) hour flight, as in the US.
Apples and oranges... that much of a food in 20 minute long flight is a waste of FAs time, waste of resources and costs a lot. Love to the pax should be shown in a different way, such as English speaking crews, better check in process or an app that works 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

northstar80

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

bahadir wrote:

Veeeeeery important. A lot of people travel for business in domestic flights and fly out early in the morning and come back afternoon or in the evening. I personally fly TK just because of that sandwich. During the daily business hassle, traffic, meetings taking longer than expected etc. you mostly make it barely to the plane and it is ease of mind that you know you'll get something decent to eat on the airplane. So, for you it may be an unnecessary thing, but for business travellers it is important and the reason people choose TK to other airlines.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm

I agree with "bahadir" on this one.
There is no way to keep up with serving a full single aisle plane during a 55 min flight. (20 min level flight). I spend more time getting to the airport from home, I spend more time at the airport terminal. On my recent flights, I eat at the TK lounge and take a bottle of water with me during domestic flights. Even on my last JFK-IST Economy flight I passed on both meals. I do not like my tray table to be occupied with leftover food for almost 1/2 hour. I used that time to use the restroom while everyone is stuck at their seats. FA's are turned into waiter/busboy for most of the flight and you can see it in their eyes. They are not enjoying this and doing as minimum as possible in terms of interaction with the pax.
I am happy to eat at the Star Lounge before the flight and I am good for the next 8-10 hours. Just get me a bottle of water.
On other news, TK and Do&Co seem to getting close again. We might see SATS out of the picture, if it goes like this.

globetrotter94

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 pm

bahadir wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
bahadir wrote:

Apples and oranges... that much of a food in 20 minute long flight is a waste of FAs time, waste of resources and costs a lot. Love to the pax should be shown in a different way, such as English speaking crews, better check in process or an app that works 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I certainly agree with you that TK's remote check-in process requires some improvement. But no reason why they cannot accomplish all of that in addition to food service on 1 hour block time flights.

globetrotter94

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

TK787 wrote:
I agree with "bahadir" on this one.
There is no way to keep up with serving a full single aisle plane during a 55 min flight. (20 min level flight). I spend more time getting to the airport from home, I spend more time at the airport terminal. On my recent flights, I eat at the TK lounge and take a bottle of water with me during domestic flights. Even on my last JFK-IST Economy flight I passed on both meals. I do not like my tray table to be occupied with leftover food for almost 1/2 hour. I used that time to use the restroom while everyone is stuck at their seats. FA's are turned into waiter/busboy for most of the flight and you can see it in their eyes. They are not enjoying this and doing as minimum as possible in terms of interaction with the pax.
I am happy to eat at the Star Lounge before the flight and I am good for the next 8-10 hours. Just get me a bottle of water.
On other news, TK and Do&Co seem to getting close again. We might see SATS out of the picture, if it goes like this.

But passengers without access to the lounge would still need food, right? Also great to hear that TK and Do&Co are reconciling. Hopefully Do&Co will be retained as I have a suspicion introduction of SATS would lead to a sharp drop in food quality...

aldrigsomandre

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
Hopefully Do&Co will be retained as I have a suspicion introduction of SATS would lead to a sharp drop in food quality...

As a regular passenger of Singapore Airlines flights, I think SATS does wonders as the inflight food is always great in all travel classes. I agree that Do&Co has achieved great things with TK but as far as options go, SATS is one of the best.

globetrotter94

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
Hopefully Do&Co will be retained as I have a suspicion introduction of SATS would lead to a sharp drop in food quality...

As a regular passenger of Singapore Airlines flights, I think SATS does wonders as the inflight food is always great in all travel classes. I agree that Do&Co has achieved great things with TK but as far as options go, SATS is one of the best.

For SQ, sure. But there are more questionable results from SATS overseas JVs, like Taj-SATS in India, for example...

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

IST What a mess!!! Doors closed on TK1 one hour ago, still on tarmac. No word from the cockpit. Weather not bad. Winds 14Knots from SW, visibility 10km. Broken clouds at 4000 and 10,000 feet :(

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 pm

I think the problem is all SFO, LAX, MIA flights have to take off towards the water due to hot and heavy conditions and clearance issues. We will take off sue North eventually. Short flight Westbound today 9:45 hrs.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Plans for catering JV with SATS canceled.
http://investor.turkishairlines.com/en/ ... losures-27

Negotiation entered into extending the agreement with Do&Co to cover 3rd airport.
http://investor.turkishairlines.com/en/ ... osures-209

=

Guess Do&Co finally agreed to find the money they needed for their share of required investment to set up at the 3rd airport. The loss of TK which represents nearly 1/3 of entire Do&Co Group global revenue certainly was a blow.

I feel bad for SATS, however. They also are a premier global vendor have been looking to expand their footprint beyond Asia-Pacific region and deal with TK could have been a win-win for both.

ARNbased

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:20 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
I had a recent flight IST-ARN-IST. Surprisingly for a 3hr plus flight, no IFE on a very aged 738. They had the new on board wifi installed but no power outlets on board and you apparently have to download the TK IFE app before you're on board so not much use. On the way back, this time a very old 320 with overhead screens with terrible resolution showing nothing but flight info, no IFE. I've flown IST-ESB many times and never encountered such bad IFE, and this is a longish short haul to a wealthy destination. Very surprised.

As a frequent ARN-IST-ARN passenger, I’m not surprised. Almost always crappy planes, oftentimes with blocked middle seats in C, unless you take the TK 1793/1794 flights, which mostly have A330s nowadays or at least A321...

stylo777

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 pm

LAXintl wrote:
I feel bad for SATS, however. They also are a premier global vendor have been looking to expand their footprint beyond Asia-Pacific region and deal with TK could have been a win-win for both.

...second that! I was really looking for a change with Do&CO and LSG SkyChefs basically being out of the (Istanbul) market and Sancak rather remaining as a regional hero (with good quality though). SATS would have been highly welcomed. Anyways...
So the question for Do&CO: quickly start building the catering unit or keeping it rather slow and transfering everything from their facilities at ATA?

aldrigsomandre

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 pm

stylo777 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

...second that! I was really looking for a change with Do&CO and LSG SkyChefs basically being out of the (Istanbul) market and Sancak rather remaining as a regional hero (with good quality though). SATS would have been highly welcomed. Anyways...
So the question for Do&CO: quickly start building the catering unit or keeping it rather slow and transfering everything from their facilities at ATA?

That makes me wonder: Isn't there a single fully Turkish company that TK can partner with? Turkish hospitality is world famous but the hospitality side of the business for the new airport keeps being given to foreign companies. Yes, the CEO of Do&CO is of Turkish origin, but he is still Austrian.

stylo777

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 am

Sancak is 100% Turkish, but what does it matter in the overall context?

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

To add to my TK1 "J" experience yesterday:
-All US flights are bunched together and leaving from the same gate area during similar times created a mess at the gate security check. Even on the Business/Elite/ElitePlus side there was a big line. It took about 30min to clear that. Y lines were much worse. I heard two guys speaking in front of me; one is flying back to Costa Rica (via MIA) from Tbilisi, the other one is flying from Kuwait to MIA.
-Once inside the plane it was all good. 3.7 yrs old TC-JJU is in good shape will 100% load and 15 FA's including including 2 flying chefs serving us.
-Almost two hour delay due to SFO, LAX, MIA and IAH flights taking off due South, while all traffic is taking off North and this taxiing mess created a backlog.
-Since it was a full flight the service was slow, even though that it was a smooth flight. All lunch service ended while we were over London.
-Both appetizer and dessert carts had improved selections and presentation.
-I was able to get a photo of all the pax names with their entree selections in Business Class; almost 60% Western names, 30% Turkish, few Indians/Africans. 40% opted for Salmon, 30% for Beef and 30% for Manti.
I think the crew did their best to serve us, non-stop. I did not want to be disturbed for the second meal. Still, when I got up 30 min before landing, they brought me a glass of OJ, coffee and few baked goods without me asking :)

TK105

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Today I was on TK7018, AnadoluJet ESB-ADB 100% full late morning flight on a 20 year old 738. The plane looked brand new from outside but you can see its age once you are inside. It gives you confidence that plane is well maintained. Now I look forward for TK to renew all AJ planes as the business proved to be successful.

On AJ flights, they still serve complimentary sandwich/cake and tea/coffe, which is nice and in line with Turkish Hospitality (I think Turkish passangers look forward for it according to our culture).

In the past, plane departures used to be at beginning of hours or half hours at ESB. As the slots are now congested, departures are at strange minutes (such as 10:55, 10:35, 10:25 etc). As ESB is already above its annual design passanger capacity (15M/year), I wonder what are the plans now to cope this growth.

AirAY

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Any news on the ex 9M–MUC msn 1164 Airbus A330–223F? Another question is, will she re–engined to RR Trents?

AirAY

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Any news on the ex 9M–MUC msn 1164 Airbus A330–223F? Another question is, will she re–engined to RR Trents?

AirAY

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 pm

BOEING777EK

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 pm

When will Anadolujet receive new aircraft? And will these aircraft be purchased from TK or from their own company?

mafaky

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 am

AirAY wrote:

Nothing has been heard of it, since TK made the first announcement. And, ironically, TK is trying to sub-lease some of their a332Fs! They even guarantee the cargo but the lessor must provide the crew! One is said, already sub-leased to MNG Cargo AW.

mafaky

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 am

BOEING777EK wrote:
When will Anadolujet receive new aircraft? And will these aircraft be purchased from TK or from their own company?

To start with, AnadoluJet is not any independent or subsidiary airline, it's only a second (LCC) brand of TK, with a different livery. The fleet is standardised on Boeing 738s. These come from 2 sources: TK's vintage 738s (though, said to be well-maintained; but still showing their age in the cabin...) and wet leased, relatively younger ones from Sun Express (SX). (SX is a 50-50 JV between TK & LH) SX leased frames are also operational leases from different leasing companies, though SX has more modern, some factory-fresh 738s (purchased thru financial leasing) for its own operations.

There has been some announcements (for over a year, now...) from TK that there are plans to obtain an AOC for AnadoluJet and make it a totally independent airline but so far nothing seems to have materialised.

So, your guess may be as good as mine! :roll:

RobK

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I see Pegasus has brand new B738 TC-CRE due to arrive in Istanbul SAW at 2.30pm today as PGT091. I'm sure I read somewhere that Pegasus were no longer taking any new 737s and they were all being sold at delivery to other airlines and lessors as they wish to focus on a full Airbus fleet. Could those familiar with Pegasus happenings please update me on what has changed? They have a further 2 frames due imminently too, namely TC-CRF and TC-CRG.

If anyone spots TC-CRE arriving I'd appreciate knowing the name on the nose please.

mafaky

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:21 pm

RobK wrote:
I see Pegasus has brand new B738 TC-CRE due to arrive in Istanbul SAW at 2.30pm today as PGT091. I'm sure I read somewhere that Pegasus were no longer taking any new 737s and they were all being sold at delivery to other airlines and lessors as they wish to focus on a full Airbus fleet. Could those familiar with Pegasus happenings please update me on what has changed? They have a further 2 frames due imminently too, namely TC-CRF and TC-CRG.

If anyone spots TC-CRE arriving I'd appreciate knowing the name on the nose please.

The name given to TC-CRE is "Yasemin (=Jasmin)

Well, indeed it looks a bit unorthodox that a LCC like Pegasus has presently built and keeps on building its fleet on both Boeing & Airbus.

At the moment (TC-CRE inclusive) they have 45 738 frames: 19 of these seem to be on financial lease and the rest are on operational lease (from well known leasing companies like AerCap, DAE Capital, Avalon, etc.)

They currently have 34 320s: the 12 CEOs are also on operational lease while all newer NEOs on financial lease.

It may be that Pegasus plans to establish more solid secondary hubs in ESB (Ankara), ADB (Izmir) and maybe AYT (Antalya) and base the Boeings in these smaller hubs while retaining the airbus fleet in Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen (SAW).

MoKa777

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm

I noticed today that a 77W is on TK's IST-JNB-DUR return route.

Is this once off, seasonal (possibly for Hajj season) or a permanent adjustment? If it seasonal or permanent, when did it come into effect?

It was not long ago (maybe a few days or a weeks) that I saw the A333 still on the route.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:05 pm

RobK wrote:

also
TC-CRF is Mine
TC-CRG is Efsun Lia

RobK

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

TK787 wrote:
RobK wrote:

also
TC-CRF is Mine
TC-CRG is Efsun Lia

Thanks for the info (also Mafaky). I see a picture of TC-CRE on twitter by HavaSosyalMedya showing the name as well.

It was suspected that TAROMs latest 2 NG orders were going to be the TC-CRF & G frames but now it seems not and they might be being sourced elsewhere. TC-CRF has flown, but not painted yet. TC-CRG has not flown.

RobK

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 pm

TK787 wrote:
RobK wrote:

also
TC-CRF is Mine
TC-CRG is Efsun Lia

Mine or Mina ? TC-AAZ is Mina.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos