jumbojet

Re: United daily double SFO-SIN will cancel LAX-SIN

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm

airzona11 wrote:
UA is not a marginal player, has a big hub in SFO, and connections from the rest of its network. SQ might do better, maybe, but ‘far’ better is a stretch. Plus, what connections are they going after on the SIN end? ULH are targeted at the O/D.

I think what he means is, UA has a marginal product compared to Singapore, especially when you have 2-2-2 in business class (UA style) VS. 1-2-1 for Singapore.

blooc350

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 pm

airzona11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
Now with SQ having announced its own 10x weekly LAX nonstop, and increase of SFO nonstop service to 10X weekly as well, I think we know why UA decided to drop LAX and double up at SFO to protect its hub.

Unfortunately, I give SQ the far better chance on the routes with their product and beyond connectivity opportunity. I hope to certainly fly those flights in the future.

UA is not a marginal player, has a big hub in SFO, and connections from the rest of its network. SQ might do better, maybe, but ‘far’ better is a stretch. Plus, what connections are they going after on the SIN end? ULH are targeted at the O/D.

He was talking about the products..............SQ has a more superior on-board product as well as service.

LAXintl

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm

I see SQ giving UA a hell of a run on their newly announced nonstops.

As a near 20 year UA 1K, the reality is that the reason I fly UA is largely because of corporate contracts with pricing as much as 40-50% off headline fares. If it was left to me for service, I would opt any day for likes of SQ, CX on my frequent trips across the Pacific thanks to their better product.

With these SQ nonstops, I see them having a great opportunity in capturing ever more customers not married to UA automatically not only directly between the US and Singapore by avoiding todays 1-stop routings, but also being able to better market SQ option in beyond markets be it SE Asia or Indian subcontinent. Gone will be the days of double stops many had to endure if connecting on SQ via SIN from the US.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:33 pm

The novelty of the UA Singapore nonstops has been wiped away with SQ going nonstop to 3 US gateways now imo.

Sure UA will have its own traffic and garner its corporate traffic with its discount pricing, but for many that have more flexibility and not held hostage by a corporate agreement, these SQ flights surely will be attractive for both SIN destined traffic, but also as mentioned by others to many beyond markets via SIN.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

flyingclrs727

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm

jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

I think what he means is, UA has a marginal product compared to Singapore, especially when you have 2-2-2 in business class (UA style) VS. 1-2-1 for Singapore.

If UA is going to use the 787-9 as a ULR plane, they need to have 8 abreast seating in Y. The business class could stand being upgraded to Polaris seats. If I were flying to SIN I'd rather make different connections than UA's through SFO. Living in the middle of the US, I would either fly SQ's IAH-MAN-SIN flight or an Asian airline's connections the other direction.

SFOtoORD

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:11 am

janders wrote:
The novelty of the UA Singapore nonstops has been wiped away with SQ going nonstop to 3 US gateways now imo.

Sure UA will have its own traffic and garner its corporate traffic with its discount pricing, but for many that have more flexibility and not held hostage by a corporate agreement, these SQ flights surely will be attractive for both SIN destined traffic, but also as mentioned by others to many beyond markets via SIN.

UA has always had a strong business to SIN and I don’t see that changing. They’ll do just fine on SFO-SIN.

airzona11

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 am

jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

But does that matter? UA is selling seats. No doubt SQ is more luxurious, but UA also has many competitive advantages.

airzona11

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:42 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

If UA is going to use the 787-9 as a ULR plane, they need to have 8 abreast seating in Y. The business class could stand being upgraded to Polaris seats. If I were flying to SIN I'd rather make different connections than UA's through SFO. Living in the middle of the US, I would either fly SQ's IAH-MAN-SIN flight or an Asian airline's connections the other direction.

They have been flying the flight already for a long time and selling it. Your example is fine for why you wouldn’t multi-connect on UA and when you don’t mind a longer journey. There are countless 2 stop itineraries from US to sin. The ULH is capturing O/D willing to pay premium. And people wanting shortest time. For a huge portion of travelers to beyond SFO destinations, the UA flight is quickest.
There is zero evidence UA is not competing at SFO. They just doubled the flights.

That is the reality.

flyingclrs727

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:18 am

airzona11 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

They have been flying the flight already for a long time and selling it. Your example is fine for why you wouldn’t multi-connect on UA and when you don’t mind a longer journey. There are countless 2 stop itineraries from US to sin. The ULH is capturing O/D willing to pay premium. And people wanting shortest time. For a huge portion of travelers to beyond SFO destinations, the UA flight is quickest.
There is zero evidence UA is not competing at SFO. They just doubled the flights.

That is the reality.

The EVA Air flight IAH-TPE-SIN is more direct not less than IAH-SFO--SIN, and it is on 9 abreast 77W's.

huaiwei

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
blooc350 wrote:
MARSHAL1 wrote:
Smart move by United......So now UA can have a 2nd daily SFO-SIN in hopes of knocking SQ off of the route. They probably hope that SQ will just fly LAX-SIN and leave the SFO-SIN to UA. Brilliant move by United.

Its a naive and a foolish to think SQ will let UA dominate the SFO-SIN market.....its SQ we're talking about.

What Exactly can SQ do about it? It's no secret that UA and SQ aren't the best of Friends even though they both belong to the Star Alliance.
IF UA was losing money on that non-stop?? Then they wouldn't be flying the route. .

SQ just presented you with the answer:

bzcat wrote:
LAX-SIN 10x week
LAX-NRT-SIN 7x week
SFO-SIN 10x week [+ 14x week from UA]
SFO-HKG-SIN 7x week

That's 34x weekly from SQ and 14x from UA

Did someone say UA made a brilliant move and keep SQ out of SFO-SIN?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

tphuang

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 pm

airzona11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
Now with SQ having announced its own 10x weekly LAX nonstop, and increase of SFO nonstop service to 10X weekly as well, I think we know why UA decided to drop LAX and double up at SFO to protect its hub.

Unfortunately, I give SQ the far better chance on the routes with their product and beyond connectivity opportunity. I hope to certainly fly those flights in the future.

Sq can get feed from any number of surrounding nations, but I would say Indonesia with its very wealthy local Chinese population and Malaysia too would be high up there. Also this would give easy 1 stop option from Bay Area to bali. There really isn’t a better airport in the world than Singapore to hang out for a few hours.

I can’t imagine Singaporeans flying ua unless it’s drastically cheaper. But I could see American flying sq since it’s on the same alliance as ua. Premium economy on sq to Singapore will bring in a lot of qualifying miles.

airzona11

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:44 pm

tphuang wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Sq can get feed from any number of surrounding nations, but I would say Indonesia with its very wealthy local Chinese population and Malaysia too would be high up there. Also this would give easy 1 stop option from Bay Area to bali. There really isn’t a better airport in the world than Singapore to hang out for a few hours.

I can’t imagine Singaporeans flying ua unless it’s drastically cheaper. But I could see American flying sq since it’s on the same alliance as ua. Premium economy on sq to Singapore will bring in a lot of qualifying miles.

Alll of this is true. But UA is going 2x daily on the route. This whole back and forth is around the concept of SQ easily walking over UA on this route... that is just not matching with reality. If UA had cut from daily to less than daily, maybe. But they double capacity.

SFOtoORD

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm

tphuang wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Right. And UA has loads of feed for their flight too. Not sure what’s being argued here. They clearly won’t be dropping this soon and it’s unlikely SQ will be either.

jumbojet

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

airzona11 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Alll of this is true. But UA is going 2x daily on the route. This whole back and forth is around the concept of SQ easily walking over UA on this route... that is just not matching with reality. If UA had cut from daily to less than daily, maybe. But they double capacity.

and it remains to be seen whether or not 2x daiy will be profitable for UA. Sure they can fill the seats but at what cost? 2-2-2 in business is at a huge disadvantage to what SQ has to offer. I mean, its a joke when you compare the differences in comfort in BE for that long a flight. If UA was smart, they would have 86'd the 767 mods and dumped that capex into refurbishing the 789's and putting a rush on it. I think SQ is gonna make UA eat their lunch.

Then you have the service side of the coin. SQ pretty much blows the doors off of UA. UA FA's are famous for disappearing after the initial meal service. How does UA plan to counter that?

airzim

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 pm

jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

and it remains to be seen whether or not 2x daiy will be profitable for UA. Sure they can fill the seats but at what cost? 2-2-2 in business is at a huge disadvantage to what SQ has to offer. I mean, its a joke when you compare the differences in comfort in BE for that long a flight. If UA was smart, they would have 86'd the 767 mods and dumped that capex into refurbishing the 789's and putting a rush on it. I think SQ is gonna make UA eat their lunch.

That's patently ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that many folks on here haven't flown SQ or UA recently.

Fact, SQ is over-rated. Their seat (especially on the A350) is terrible. Weird angle for sleeping, and it's either up, or it's down. And the FA has to set it for you. There's no in between to speak of and on a journey like that, the UA seat wins given you can angle it in different ways to suit your needs. The whole aisle access is a bit over-rated, but I agree that SQ wins there.

SQ's food is adequate. Just like UAs.

FA service on SQ is more consistent than UA. But for the most part, isn't a huge deal breaker for most people.

While perceptions and opinions of course matter to some, their's really no glaring chasm between the SQ offering and UA. Both have pluses and minuses. For me the UA seat wins the battle every time.

UA has been competing for 30 years against SQ.

jumbojet

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 pm

airzim wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

That's patently ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that many folks on here haven't flown SQ or UA recently.

Fact, SQ is over-rated. Their seat (especially on the A350) is terrible. Weird angle for sleeping, and it's either up, or it's down. And the FA has to set it for you. There's no in between to speak of and on a journey like that, the UA seat wins given you can angle it in different ways to suit your needs. The whole aisle access is a bit over-rated, but I agree that SQ wins there.

FA service on SQ is more consistent than UA. But for the most part, isn't a huge deal breaker for most people.

While perceptions and opinions of course matter to some, their's really no glaring chasm between the SQ offering and UA. Both have pluses and minuses. For me the UA seat wins the battle every time.

whatever your smoking I want some. Have you even seen images of the business class seat that SQ will have on the A350 and have you compared it to what UA has? No competition. I'd post the pictures but I not to familiar with how upload pics to Anet. Take a look for yourself.

airzim

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 pm

jumbojet wrote:
airzim wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

whatever your smoking I want some. Have you even seen images of the business class seat that SQ will have on the A350 and have you compared it to what UA has? No competition. I'd post the pictures but I not to familiar with how upload pics to Anet. Take a look for yourself.

There's a difference between a picture and an actual experience. The A350 seat in J is not great. In fact SQs seats on the A380 and 77Ws are pretty rotten too. The UA seat on the 787 is not bleeding edge, but it's comfortable for sleeping, relaxing, and working. SQ's seat is not great for anything. It's hard, doesn't recline far enough for relaxation, requires you to sleep at a weird angle, requires the FA to put it down and up for you, and has small footwells.

Service doesn't really make up for these deficiencies

notconcerned

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 am

airzim wrote:
The A350 seat in J is not great. In fact SQs seats on the A380 and 77Ws are pretty rotten too. The UA seat on the 787 is not bleeding edge, but it's comfortable for sleeping, relaxing, and working. SQ's seat is not great for anything. It's hard, doesn't recline far enough for relaxation, requires you to sleep at a weird angle, requires the FA to put it down and up for you, and has small footwells.

Service doesn't really make up for these deficiencies

I agree, having flown SQ A350 and UA 787, the SQ J seat is really not that comfortable. Especially in sitting/lounge position, there's virtually no legroom and your knee touches the seat in front. Only thing that I appreciate is the all aisle access, but it's mostly non-factor if sitting in middle section of the 787.

The notion that the seat/IFE/food/service can defeat any competitor is a bit overblown. I think price, schedule, network connectivity, and probably FF program all play a large factor. Otherwise how can BA or KL or TK compete against SQ with their mediocre business class seats.

GoSharks

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 am

airzim wrote:
There's a difference between a picture and an actual experience. The A350 seat in J is not great. In fact SQs seats on the A380 and 77Ws are pretty rotten too. The UA seat on the 787 is not bleeding edge, but it's comfortable for sleeping, relaxing, and working. SQ's seat is not great for anything. It's hard, doesn't recline far enough for relaxation, requires you to sleep at a weird angle, requires the FA to put it down and up for you, and has small footwells.

Now, I haven't flown the A350 seat, but have flown the 77w and that seat did not require an FA to put it down or up...

SFOtoORD

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 am

jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Then you have the service side of the coin. SQ pretty much blows the doors off of UA. UA FA's are famous for disappearing after the initial meal service. How does UA plan to counter that?

UA and SQ had overlap on LAX-NRT, SFO-ICN and SFO-HKG for many years and UA never walked away from those routes. They’ve also repeatedly said SIN is one of their top business class O&D routes. They aren’t walking away. Meal service doesn’t have a single thing to do with whether they stay on this route. If you were right, they wouldn’t have a single TPAC route out of SFO. But you mostly just wanted to rant about United. Maybe you should compare to Delta too fanboy.

airzona11

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:54 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

UA and SQ had overlap on LAX-NRT, SFO-ICN and SFO-HKG for many years and UA never walked away from those routes. They’ve also repeatedly said SIN is one of their top business class O&D routes. They aren’t walking away. Meal service doesn’t have a single thing to do with whether they stay on this route. If you were right, they wouldn’t have a single TPAC route out of SFO. But you mostly just wanted to rant about United. Maybe you should compare to Delta too fanboy.

Well said. SQ has always had a better product. Nothing new. But the rants on here about UA having a service no pays for is a fairytale. @JumboJet, what lunch will SQ eat? Since UA has been flying the route non-stop, on top of all the other routes they have vs UA, UA has grown their number of flights. All information shows both airlines are doing just fine. SFO is an awesome hub for UA for the transpac flying.

strfyr51

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 am

huaiwei wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

Its a naive and a foolish to think SQ will let UA dominate the SFO-SIN market.....its SQ we're talking about.

What Exactly can SQ do about it? It's no secret that UA and SQ aren't the best of Friends even though they both belong to the Star Alliance.
IF UA was losing money on that non-stop?? Then they wouldn't be flying the route. .

SQ just presented you with the answer:

bzcat wrote:
LAX-SIN 10x week
LAX-NRT-SIN 7x week
SFO-SIN 10x week [+ 14x week from UA]
SFO-HKG-SIN 7x week

That's 34x weekly from SQ and 14x from UA

Did someone say UA made a brilliant move and keep SQ out of SFO-SIN?

And that proves what? SQ used to fly B747-400's out of SFO. and SQ cargo Still does, So ot doesn't prove anything at all except 2 Star Alliance carriers are making room for each other to prosper, Not a thing wrong with that especially since SQ has passengers who STILL connect to United flights eastbound out of LAX and westbound TO LAX. That's just good Business.