Coal

Re: Long haul Caribbean

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:35 am

Air Caraibes

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Long haul Caribbean

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:36 am

I may be wrong but, there are no airlines from the Caribbean that do long haul flights.

Could that change in the future?

I could see BW flying to Madrid or LGW. But that’s just me.

asuflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:30 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
I may be wrong but, there are no airlines from the Caribbean that do long haul flights.

BW will not do long haul anymore. They tried LGW the second time around from 2012 to 2015 with 763's it failed miserably. MAD there is no market to/from T&T, that will never happen. Air Caraibes is based in Guadeloupe although is backed by a holding company based in France, that is involved in many industries.

Most Caribbean islands are already well served by US/Canadian and Euro carriers. Additionally, most local governments would prefer to provide subsidies and attract existing US/Canadian and Euro carriers rather than start their own airline and long-haul flights. If anything the next wave of Caribbean air service growth is coming from South America.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 am

Geminijets101 wrote:

May I remind you of Cubana de Aviación? Definitely Caribbean and does long-haul flights.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:47 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
May I remind you of Cubana de Aviación? Definitely Caribbean and does long-haul flights.

Technically Cuba isn't in the Caribbean. The Caribbean is everything south of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, Cuba is north of that. It's not far away though.

As others have already pointed out, there's little need for a long haul airline based in the Caribbean as this area is already very well served by airlines from Europe and America. Anywhere you want to go, you can get there in one stop. On top of that, the Caribbean isn't one solid land mass. It's scattered along a whole lot of islands. This means that to get where you want to be in the Caribbean you'd have to transfer anyway. Then it doesn't make any difference if this transfer is inside the Caribbean or outside.

B777LRF

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:07 am

Flew BWIA once, many moons ago, BHX-POS. Worst level of service ever encountered in a premium cabin, as well as the worst customer service on the ground. Flew UA on the way back, SXM-JFK, and marvelled at the level of service compared to Britains Worst Investment Abroad - and that's the first and only time I've ever been positively surprised of the service level, in the premium cabin of a US carrier!

PS
Did a milk run POS-SXM via 5 small Caribbean islands (Barbados, Martinique, Dominica, Anquilla & St. Kitts). The travel agent was flabbergasted I didn't opt for the direct POS-SXM on a 737, preferring to island hop and change aircraft twice on a selection of Dash-8s. Little did she know I was, and am, a through-and-through aviation nerd :)

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Technically Cuba isn't in the Caribbean. The Caribbean is everything south of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, Cuba is north of that. It's not far away though.

As others have already pointed out, there's little need for a long haul airline based in the Caribbean as this area is already very well served by airlines from Europe and America. Anywhere you want to go, you can get there in one stop. On top of that, the Caribbean isn't one solid land mass. It's scattered along a whole lot of islands. This means that to get where you want to be in the Caribbean you'd have to transfer anyway. Then it doesn't make any difference if this transfer is inside the Caribbean or outside.

While I hate these discussions here on a.net on definitions of continents and all that, I have to call you on this one... Who says that "technically" Cuba isn't part of the Caribbean, and the mumbo-jumbo of being south of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica? The good people at Wikipedia seem to think otherwise:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean

And more importantly, the Cubans themselves refer to their country as being Caribbean. There even used to be a Cuban airline called Aerocaribe. When Hugo Chávez here in Venezuela decided it was a good idea to start donating huge quantities of Venezuelan oil to Cuba (and later other Caribbean countries as well), that scheme was called Petrocaribe. And so on and so forth...

Samrnpage

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

While I hate these discussions here on a.net on definitions of continents and all that, I have to call you on this one... Who says that "technically" Cuba isn't part of the Caribbean, and the mumbo-jumbo of being south of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica? The good people at Wikipedia seem to think otherwise:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean

And more importantly, the Cubans themselves refer to their country as being Caribbean. There even used to be a Cuban airline called Aerocaribe. When Hugo Chávez here in Venezuela decided it was a good idea to start donating huge quantities of Venezuelan oil to Cuba (and later other Caribbean countries as well), that scheme was called Petrocaribe. And so on and so forth...

Cuba is apart of the Caribbean, not sure why people think otherwise unless people are taught differently?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Caribbean_islands
https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/tr ... 68346.html
https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/carib.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba

Thibault973

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Air Caraïbes operates up to 3 daily each PTP/FDF-ORY, up to 1 daily CAY-ORY, 3 weekly PAP-SDQ-ORY, 3 weekly PUJ-ORY, 1 weekly HAV-ORY, 1 weekly HAV-STU-ORY, 1 weekly, ZSA-SDQ-ORY and 1 weekly SXM-ORY

EWRamp

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:00 am

B777LRF wrote:
Flew BWIA once, many moons ago, BHX-POS. Worst level of service ever encountered in a premium cabin, as well as the worst customer service on the ground. Flew UA on the way back, SXM-JFK, and marvelled at the level of service compared to Britains Worst Investment Abroad - and that's the first and only time I've ever been positively surprised of the service level, in the premium cabin of a US carrier!

PS
Did a milk run POS-SXM via 5 small Caribbean islands (Barbados, Martinique, Dominica, Anquilla & St. Kitts). The travel agent was flabbergasted I didn't opt for the direct POS-SXM on a 737, preferring to island hop and change aircraft twice on a selection of Dash-8s. Little did she know I was, and am, a through-and-through aviation nerd :)

I guess you didn't know before hand what BWIA stood for... Better Walk If Able

EWRamp

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:00 am

B777LRF wrote:

PS

I guess you didn't know before hand what BWIA stood for... Better Walk If Able

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos