Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moyangmm
Topic Author

Why Airbus planes are usually in less premium configurations?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:22 am

I found that airlines generally use less premium configurations in their Airbus planes compared to their Boeing ones. In other words I think Airbus have less F and J seats but more Y seats, compared to Boeing planes of similar sizes. For example, CX A350-1000 has 46J/32W/256Y whereas 77W has 6F/53J/34W/182Y. I also notice that other airlines tend to put their premium configs on Boeing as well. Is there anything inherently less premium on Airbus planes?

Stitch

Re: Why Airbus planes are usually in less premium configurations?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:33 am

CX flies multiple 777-300ER configurations, including two J/W/Y versions at 40J / 32W / 268Y and 40J / 32W / 296Y.

You also need to look at the models and the routes they fly. If an airline is flying A330-300s on regional missions, premium cabin demand will generally be less so the Economy cabin will be larger compared to a 777-200ER or 787-9 flying long-haul missions.

kevin5345179

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:36 am

shouldn't be as -900ULR is either PE or J for SQ
If you compare A359 and B78J at SQ and you'll find A359 is more premium heavy
depends on each airlines' planning

tullamarine

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 am

Given that the most opulent premium cabins are all on A380s, I think the whole premise of this thread is flawed. What is undisputed is that the larger the plane, the bigger the premium component. This is typically a function of the typical stage length these larger planes fly and the availability of real estate upon which to install these expensive and heavy cabins.

In summary an A380 will typically have more premium seating than a 77W which will have more premium seating than an A350, 77E or 787 and they will have more than an A321 or 739.

moyangmm
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 am

tullamarine wrote:
Given that the most opulent premium cabins are all on A380s, I think the whole premise of this thread is flawed. What is undisputed is that the larger the plane, the bigger the premium component. This is typically a function of the typical stage length these larger planes fly and the availability of real estate upon which to install these expensive and heavy cabins.

In summary an A380 will typically have more premium seating than a 77W which will have more premium seating than an A350, 77E or 787 and they will have more than an A321 or 739.

But if you look at the percentage of premium cabin seats over total seats, you will see A380 is much less premium than a long-range configured 77W.

jfk777

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 am

A380 have the most premium cabins. Currently there are many more 777 and 787 in service then A350. A330 or A340 flying equivalent long haul routes. Many airlines will be flying both A350 and 777 or 787 with similar products branded for their airline. Currently many 777 & 787-9 flying longer haul routes so there is an impression 777 & 787-9 have plusher cabins. At airlines like BA, Singapore, Cathay, Air France 787 and A350 will be flying together soon with the same Business Class seats. Some airline will have A350-1000 and 787 plus others 777-300ER and A350-900 so things should equal out.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:18 am

tullamarine wrote:

And there are domestic configured 777 aircraft. Along with most 777-300ER aircraft having 3-4-3 seating that is quite narrow.

AirlineCritic

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 am

tullamarine wrote:
I think the whole premise of this thread is flawed

:checkmark:

Indeed.

The manufacturer is not the one who sets premium or economy fractions, it is the airline.

There are some other factors of course that affect how much premium you will see. The shorter the flight, less premium class the passengers, and consequently, airline wants.

The smaller the plane, the less possibilities there are for premium setups; in small commuter/prop planes there's typically none, at least in Europe. In the A320s and A737s there's room for better seats but not much more, and often there isn't even any different seats but just some of them are left empty on purpose. On wide-body long haul planes you have a lot of demand and need for services beyond tourist class. And the "Etihad Apartment" type arrangements are only possible on the largest of the large planes. And so on.

The market affects things of course as well. I find premium classes widely provided in the US, and there the frequent flier seems to expect extra service, a free upgrade on their most flights. Whereas in Europe... that is much less common. Perhaps sadly, but that's the case. Now, at the same time there's probably still more Boeing planes in US than Airbus planes (or has that now changed? The direction is clear but I'm not sure we're there yet). So if you measured US and and Europe, you'd probably find "more premium on Boeing planes", but that is not because of who manufactured planes, it is due to what kind of service market expects and the prevalence of particular plane types for other reasons.

Similarly, the Middle East and Asia seems like being extremely focused on super fine services, airlines competing on how good their first class or class beyond first are. In that area you'll find that there's plenty of premium in their airplanes.

Finally, the percentages... how many percent premium, how many not? Those are not set by plane type or manufacturer. They are set by what the airline determines is the best split from an income and demand perspective. There might be some small factors relating to how easy it is to subdivision a particular plane type into different cabins, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem. You can't necessarily do this at the granularity of a row, but you will be able to do it at the granularity of a door and/or galley placement.

Just to give a more pointed counter-example to the OP's experiences, *my* experience is that the best premium cabins are on Airbus planes and almost none of the Boeing planes that I fly have premium at all. But this is only because I happen to fly an Airbus-operator for most of my long haul flights, and happen to fly a low-cost airline with 737s for many of my shorter haul trips. Obviously, my experience is skewed, but for my defence I realise that ...

millionsofmiles

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am

Take a look at AA's 321T and then AA's 737 MAX, and tell me that that doesn't blow your theory out of the water.

FlyRow

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:56 am

moyangmm wrote:
I found that airlines generally use less premium configurations in their Airbus planes compared to their Boeing ones. In other words I think Airbus have less F and J seats but more Y seats, compared to Boeing planes of similar sizes. For example, CX A350-1000 has 46J/32W/256Y whereas 77W has 6F/53J/34W/182Y. I also notice that other airlines tend to put their premium configs on Boeing as well. Is there anything inherently less premium on Airbus planes?

Facts...not feelings is the key word here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos